Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The Utility Warehouse Discount club (Telecomplus) (Read 109,560 times)
4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Re: The Utility Warehouse Discount club (Telecompl
Reply #30 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 2:04pm

Anti-0870 wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 12:24pm:
Not everybody will have sky and I would not use sky talk, because sky have poor customer service and I will never use any of there other service again. It's because I had a lot of problem's with sky a few months ago, Sky are useless.

I appreciate that not everyone will have Sky, but if they do and they make at least 4 calls a day (Which most households do) then Skytalk is great value.

Sky's Customer Service are all based in Britain and are usually very helpful and competent and can be contacted at most times. My only gripe with Sky is that they have an 0870 number, but I have never had to dial it as there are always alternatives on this website.

It is not really possible to compare Sky's customer service with that of 1899/18185 as the latter companies do not have any Customer Service Dept that you can phone.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #31 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 3:12pm

On behalf of Barbara:

I have just received an email reply from Ravi Khanna, customer services director, which, of course, does not really address the issues.

Quote:
Dear Mr Khanna,

Firstly I would like to thank you for replying promptly to my email.

However, I am far from satisfied with your response.   Whilst I appreciate that you may have changing operational needs, I fail to see why it is your customers who should pay.   Why have you not opted for one of the new 03 numbers recommended by OFCOM which, in my understanding, allow such operational flexibility but will be included in inclusive call packages?   My understandingof the way ngns work is that your reason for choosing 0871 is to gain revenue share on incoming calls, meaning, of course, that your customers are paying you for a service and then paying above normal rates to call you when they have a problem with your service.

Regarding waiting times, I would say that I have NEVER only spent three minutes on a customer service call, particularly in view of the menu system in operation, I would say I have generally spent in excess of ten minutes on a call on each and every occasion, sometimes much longer when we had some problems with the switchover.   Of course, if you opted for an 09 number (as you had for broadband technical support last time I looked so I use my UWDC agent who is also my computer supplier), which I do not believe need be much more expensive, you would not be allowed to have call queuing and costs to customers might even be less!   Of course, that would mean you would lose customers who have call barring, as we do.

Finally, if you care about your customers, giving them good service and retaining them, as any good business should, why do you not either include your customer service number within inclusive packages or, if this is technically beyond you, operate a rebate system whereby any customer who had to contact customer services had the cost of those calls removed from their bills?

I await your reponse to the above points with interest.

Yours sincerely,

(Barbara)

To: Subject: Response to your email
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 13:00:33 -0000

Dear (Barbara)

Thank you for your comments below regarding our move to an 0871 number.

I appreciate your dissatisfaction with this decision, and the fact that it will lead you to your incurring a small charge should you choose to call us from now on.

Unfortunately however, for operational reasons this is not a decision that we can reverse. As our business grows it will not be possible for us to contain all of our customer service team in one office. Whilst I can assure you that we will absolutely not be relocating this function overseas, it will be necessary to set up another office elsewhere in the UK. In order to seamlessly route customer calls to either of these offices, we have had to move away from a geographic number (prefixed 01/02) for our customers.

Typically calls to us last around 3 minutes, so I don't feel paying 30 pence is extortionate. However I do understand that it is 30p more than you would have had to pay in the past. I hope though, that you would accept any costs you may have to incur will be substantially outweighed by the savings you have and will continue to make by routing the rest of your telephone calls through our service.

Yours sincerely

Ravi Khanna
Customer Service Director

Email : rkhanna@telecomplus.co.uk

Phone : 020 8955 5995
Fax : 020 8955 5076

Web : www.telecomplus.co.uk

Telecom plus PLC
Dryden House
The Edge Business Centre
Humber Road
London
NW2 6EW
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:32pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 4:41pm

Further to the above, I have just had a telephone call from Mr Khanni to explain UWDC's rationale behind their decisions.   I asked him to confirm what he was telling me in an email, he asked why I would want that & I replied to post on this site.   At this he became rather unhappy (he had already admitted he knows of the website) and said that, in order to market someone else's material, one needed their permission.   After a discussion where I pointed out that I merely wished to explain to other customers what his reasoning was & that I was not in the position to market anything, he replied that anything that goes on a website was marketing!???  I pointed out this would go in the forum.   Still, here goes.   Apparently he was previously unaware of 03 but had now looked into it & they will not be using as it would cost them to take the calls.   Customers on one of their phone packages including line rental will be charged 5p per minute, not 10p for calls to customer services.   He denies that this will make them any profit on 0871.   He believes OFCOM are reviewing 0871 numbers next year & UWDC will have to look at that.   They have had a number of complaints about thischange but are adamant they will not revert to a geo no.   Their main reason for the change is to increase flexibility but they are also looking at revenue as some customers abused the system under the geo no.   He said that calls today are answered within seconds with average call time of 3 mins 4 secs.  If I have misquoted him on anything, I am sure he wil point this out but it is my intention to give an accurate synopsis of our conversation.
PS Am I legal on this or will other forum members have to bail me out?!

IP Logged

buzbee

Reply #33 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:23pm

So  T-Plus Customers with their phone service are only  charged 5p a minute 24/7 to call the 0871 customer service number, big deal !!! .When you consider that before the most they were paying was 3p a minute. Anyhow if you have a problem with your service and you cant use it , you have to use another phone and this would most likely cost 10p a minute,even more from a mobile or payphone.

Why do you have to pay them a fee of £1.76p a month (£21 plus a year) on top of your bills to use their services,what benefits does this give you.Surely the very least they could give you is access via a normal geographical number.I notice they have even withdrawn their £10 cashback  for every service you took after the first. Huh

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #34 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 5:24pm

Even if their excuse for using a nongeographical number was true, why choose the highest cost at a minimum of 10p/min (upto 40p/min from some mobiles)?

They can still have all the features on a lower cost one like 0845, etc.  There are communication providers out there that don't charge (the business) for 0845 numbers at all and still have the facility to divert the call to one or more call centres, etc.  Although not a perfect solution, it would solve their so-called problem of needing a non-geographical number and it would be cheaper for their customers and new customers to ring them than their current 0871 number.

Also, are they aware that their new number is going to cost them money from 2008 when ICSTIS regulates them - for which a fee of somekind will need to be paid to ICSTIS.

Also, there is a good chance that UW got their 0871 number from Opal and if you look here, they clearly state that 0871 has a "revenue generation" and Opal offer a higher rebate on the calls (ie UW receive more revenue than they would compared with other non-geographical numbers).

Barbara, I would point out the above facts to them and ask them for their comment!
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2006 at 6:00pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

buzbee

Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2006 at 6:04pm

Their customers calls are also routed over the Opal Network. Opal is owned by the Carphone Warehouse  Cheesy

IP Logged

Anti-0870

Reply #36 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 1:21am

4PetesSake wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 2:04pm:
Anti-0870 wrote on Dec 1st, 2006 at 12:24pm:
Not everybody will have sky and I would not use sky talk, because sky have poor customer service and I will never use any of there other service again. It's because I had a lot of problem's with sky a few months ago, Sky are useless.

I appreciate that not everyone will have Sky, but if they do and they make at least 4 calls a day (Which most households do) then Skytalk is great value.

Sky's Customer Service are all based in Britain and are usually very helpful and competent and can be contacted at most times. My only gripe with Sky is that they have an 0870 number, but I have never had to dial it as there are always alternatives on this website.

I'm sorry I don't agree, sky do have indian call centers, because I have spoken to them myself. Sky have a very bad habit of keeping you on hold for 45 minutes or more, on an 0870 number and they do it because they make a lot of money from it. I use the other number now that you was talking about, so it costs them to keep me on hold for 45 minutes Grin.

Anyway back on topic. What a disgrace that UW Club thinks paying 10 pence a minute is not extortionate, plus the poor excuses for not using a geographical number. Very poor customer service, they don't deserve any customers. Sad

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #37 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 1:20pm

Anti-0870 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2006 at 1:21am:
[quote Anyway back on topic. What a disgrace that UW Club thinks paying 10 pence a minute is not extortionate, plus the poor excuses for not using a geographical number. Very poor customer service, they don't deserve any customers. Sad

How can a company that calls it self a "Discount" club have a "Premium" rate phone number and such expensive and uncompetitive products??? Shocked It surely must change its name to the Utility Warehouse Premium Club. Wink

Its survival is due to its hoards of dedicated distributors who often have to call their Customer Services Dept and must now do so on the 0871 number. They will disillusion their distributors at their peril. Lips Sealed

Perhaps they will also increase their absurd £1.76 a month membership fee as well. Maybe they will have to do this to make up for all the customers that are leaving for better deals.

I too have written to them complaining about their misleading energy Triple Value Guarantee and the introduction of the 0871 number. I await their reply with interest
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2006 at 1:24pm by 4PetesSake »  

IP Logged

chukkat

Reply #38 - Dec 2nd, 2006 at 6:30pm

I was invited to be a distributor with these people. I was wheeled along to a smart hotel and sat at back,every time the main man made what he thought was a good point i noticed that certain members of the audience burst into applause in a kind of happy clappy way. I later found out they were existing distributors.

Great emphasis was placed on them being Britains fastest growing company,the share options,  get your own company car ( Bright Yellow Mini,with large pink pig emblazoned on it). Cheapest Gas and Electric.

Regetfully i  parted with nearly £200 quid to join. As time went on i discovered

That some of their distributors mislead people to get them to sign up.( Their are also a lot of genuine distributors!!!) The mini is only allocated when you reach a certain level if you don't reach your sales targets you have to pay about £250 per month for it. You only get a small amount each month  from every customer you sign up ,the real moneys in recruiting more distributors. The services are not that cheap and their  broadband has no bandwidth.They have been selling  gas and elec at a loss ,  and it has now  been  offloaded to Npower to supply and run for them.The claim to be Europe's fastest growing company well the article was published in a low distribution magazine about 2 years ago,and was based on information that was collated in previous 12 months,that is 2003! Since then their shares have  suffered a roller coster ride in terms of both profits and share price,and have gone from 400p down to 140ish today..Not a lot of good for your share options!!!!! I found their customer service poor and their time to answer awful.

Needless to say i  have nothing more to do with them.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2006 at 6:50pm by chukkat »  

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #39 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 9:06am

Well said Chukkat, I knew I was not the only one to have seen the light after parting with my £199.50. I am sure that there are many distributors/ex-distributors or CGA's who could share their experiences on this forum.

Come on guy and girls! It's time to come out of the woodwork!

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:20pm

I am finding this all very interesting.   I also know, from my conversation with him, that Mr Khanni knows of this website, visits it & has read this thread (at least up to when I spoke to him) so it is a fair bet that he is aware of what is being said here.   I would, therefore, fully endorse the last sentence of the previous post that those who have been dissatisfied customers/distributors should post here & then he might read what they say.   Is there any way of forwarding the contents of this thread to him?   He apparently regularly calls customers so my experience was not an isolated one.   Also, re why not an 0845, this issue had, I understand, already been raised with UWDC - don't know why they didn't pick one  .... oh of course, revenue share!!!   The 2008 change to regulation of 0871 by ICSTIS must be what he meant when he spoke to me - will they go for 09 which is what they have for technical support?   Note for customers who don't want to use 0871, apparently you can also report problems via your distributor and they all have 0800 nos & will also have geos.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 8:07pm

chukkat wrote on Dec 2nd, 2006 at 6:30pm:
Great emphasis was placed on them being Britains fastest growing company,the share options,  get your own company car ( Bright Yellow Mini,with large pink pig emblazoned on it). Cheapest Gas and Electric.

How can they be the fastest growing company if I've never seen such a car?

Those pigs should stick to what they're good at - flying
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2006 at 8:08pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #42 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 11:55pm

I notice they now have a call set up charge of 2p for non free calls, plus a min call charge of 4.7p

They no longer seem to offer any chargeable call packages. So their basic landline  service costs £11 a month ,plus £1 for caller display,and £1.76p a month membership,=£13.76p a month !!!!

If you want to get the free??? call packages you have to use more of their expensive services.Eg Mobile.0800.etc Plus you must take take their line rental,and pay by d/d to get them.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #43 - Dec 4th, 2006 at 8:12pm

Barbara wrote on Dec 3rd, 2006 at 2:20pm:
Note for customers who don't want to use 0871, apparently you can also report problems via your distributor and they all have 0800 nos & will also have geos.

I can assure you you that UW distributors do not have a Freephone number to contact them. Some UW distributors have purchased a Freephone number for themselves to assist with the advertising of their business but UW The company have never used a Freephone number.

Distributors did have a Geo number for contacting UW however this does not appear to work any more, which means that even their own Distributors are having to use the Premium 0871 number. So the few pennies that distributors earn, is quickly grabbed back in the way of premium rate phone calls. That is rich for a discount club.

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #44 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 12:29am

Blimey even their Freephone Numbers are uncompetitive. Despite what their have you believe.

This what thet say "It costs so little...
CallMe(0800) costs just £2 (plus VAT) per month, plus call charges. Each call is charged at 7.5p per Peak minute or 6.5p per off-peak minute. All calls are billed in seconds, not rounded up in minutes, with a minimum call charge of just 2p."

Compare them to call08 .Only £4.95 for 500 FREE minutes per month, thats only 1.01ppm for the first 500 minutes (2ppm thereafter)
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2006 at 12:32am by acezing »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge