Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
URGENT -BBC 03 Decision 21/4- Email Board Members (Read 105,251 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: URGENT -BBC 03 Decision 21/4- Email Board Memb
Reply #75 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:36pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:31pm:
The bitter experience with the previous case has however given them a clearer understanding of their duties under the FOI Act in this respect. It has also given them an understanding of the network of internal responsibilities and external contractors that had to be unravelled to get to the information that was sought.

I believe derrick should make the request and also attach correspondence of all relevant adjudications and letters from the ICO in respect of the BBC's 0870 number.

Also if the initial response from the FOI department is no then Derrick should write to the Director General, Mark Thompson, referring to the BBC losing with the ICO over the 0870 numbers.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #76 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 9:06pm

I have finally lost my patience with the BBC and their rather two faced Mr Michael Stock (the man nominally responsible for introducing 03 numbers but in fact also the man responsible for fighting to the last to keep their 0870 numbers and who has still let Question Time hang on to 0871,  BBC licensing to 0844 and BBC local radio stations to 0845).

After he failed to do anything to honour his promises to sort out the incorrect call price announcements for the 03 number for the BBC Feedback program on BBC Radio 4 (the program you are supposed to use to complain about things one is not happy with on other BBC Radio programs) I today sent off the following broadside:-

Quote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:      Feedback Call Cost Error & Question Time 0871 Number Symptomatic of Chaotic BBC Phone Number Policy
Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:10:22 +0000
To:      Michael Stock <michael.stock@bbc.co.uk>
CC:      feedback@bbc.co.uk, philip.reevell@citybroadcasting.co.uk

Dear Mr Stock,

Feedback Call Cost Error & Question Time 0871 Number Symptomatic of Chaotic BBC Phone Number Policy

Further to my previous email of 20th February I am now writing to express my disappointment that you did not pick up the following week, as you promised you would, the issue of the incorrect call cost announcement for BBC Radio 4's Feedback program's 03 phone number by the station announcer immediately after the two airings on Friday at 1.30pm and Sunday at 8pm.

As I originally reported to you this occurred following the airings of the show on Friday 20th and Sunday 22nd February 2009 (see below earlier email) and this error was then again repeated on Friday 27th February and Sunday 1st March 2009.  If I knew who the name of the station announcer was I would email them myself but the station announcer does not say they who they are most of the time on BBC Radio 4 (for instance Zeb Soanes usually only indicates his identity on station sign off at night) and ultimately the incorrect call cost announcement must be the responsibility of a combination of City Broadcasting (who make this show and script it), the show's producer (who has an unpronounceable name like Cathu Pak that my Googling shows no trace of) and the station controller, Mark Damazer.  In addition it will also be the responsibility of yourself and of the BBC's head of editorial policy and its head of radio broadcasting.

Clearly City Broadcasting (who make the program) seem to have something of a problem with using accurate phone numbers as the Contact link at www.citybroadcasting.co.uk brings up an over complicated Flash page that quotes an out of date phone number of 0161 240 2446 that is answered by a switchboard receptionist at a business centre in Manchester who says City Broadcasting are no longer there and from her tone clearly couldn't care less where they have gone to now.  There is also a number listed for City Broadcasting in the Manchester area via a search at www.192.com of 01565 889601 at an address in Alderley Edge, but during normal business hours today (Thursday) that number was not answered.

So coming back to the bottom line problem City Broadcasting now have their own 03 phone number that points to an unknown real world phone number that is now read out immediately after the show by the Radio 4 station announcer but whoever scripts the show clearly does not realise that 03 calls cost the same as 01/02 calls and that they are using the old 0870 call cost announcement.  And then despite the previous Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand humiliations your editorial control still apparently remains so poor that no one at Radio 4 who screens the program before it is aired is picking this up and/or perhaps it is not picked up because the incorrect price announcement is done by the station announcer.  But then why have your have full time station announcers not been religiously schooled by now that "calls cost up to 8p per minute from a BT landline" is not a correct announcement any more for one of the BBC's new fanged 03 phone numbers.

It is perfectly obvious to me that as a head of several of the BBC's various external commercial enterprises you were the man primarily responsible for keeping 0870 in use by the BBC for so long (I have seen some of your previous statements attempting to justify the retention of your 0870 phone numbers) and now having finally capitulated you are still making a mess of things by not disseminating the correct information to your staff about how these call costs should be described.

You also previously expressed to me on the telephone a kind of mock surprise that Question Time was using an 0871 number for its audience participation line and said you would be looking in to that but incredibly Question Time is still ripping off its viewers who wish to provide it with audience fodder by earning a revenue share on what is now a true Premium Rate number range (controlled by PhonePayPlus).  There is also the shambolic and inexplicable chaos relating to your local radio stations and them all still using 0845 numbers, meaning that there is no overall clear message to viewers and listeners about the BBC's position on phone numbers and phone call cost.

Continued/........
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2009 at 9:11pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #77 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 9:08pm

Quote:
In view of all the previous scandals involving BBC phone numbers if I was Mark Thompson I would be inclined to think that you had not done a very good job in properly resolving the BBC's phone number use situation so that all BBC normal phone numbers start 03 and only true voting lines or competition lines use 09 numbers on which the call cost is fully disclosed and on which all PhonePayPlus regulations are fully complied with.  The continued use by one of your main current affairs shows (Question Time) of a phone number range associated with scams is nothing short of a disgrace and your failure to get back to me as promised or to ensure that your station announcers are properly briefed about how to announce the call costs of Feedback's phone number suggests to me that you are not doing a very good job in successfully rolling out the BBC's new phone number use policy.

I think I have been patient for quite a long time but I have really reached the end of my tether with your repeated failure to offer me any rational explanation as to why the BBC is now using 03 for some of its main phone numbers but is still using both 0845 and 0871 numbers elsewhere.  I wonder if Mark Thompson is not similarly baffled about the thoroughly confused phone numbering policy that you managed to persuade him and the rest of the BBC Executive Board to adopt?

If you do not feel resolution of this matter is your personal responsibility then perhaps you can ensure the matter is now referred to whichever executive at the BBC is responsible for it?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #78 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 10:17am

I also sent this follow up email to David Dimbleby regarding Question Time's continued use of an 0871 audience line phone number.  He does have a BBC email address (despite his antiquity) as the email was not bounced back.
Quote:
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:      Acting As The Advertising Agent For Question Time 0871 Phone Number Scam
Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:09:05 +0000
To:      david.dimbleby@bbc.co.uk
CC:      steve.anderson@bbc.co.uk, gill.penlington@bbc.co.uk

Dear Mr Dimbleby,

You may care to comment on the below email viz a viz Question Time's continued use of a premium rate 0871 phone number (now controlled by the premium rate regulator PhonePayPlus - formerly ICSTIS) for viewers wishing to become part of the audience line at your next Question Time show.

I am not sure if you are aware that 0871 is specifically a revenue earning premium rate number but since you personally read it out on air each week and since the BBC has switched to 03 numbers that cost no more than normal 01/02 calls from landlines and mobiles for all its other television audience phone numbers I think it is something you should be looking in to.  At the moment you unfortunately and perhaps unwittingly seem to be the direct advertising agent for the direct perpetration of a covert premium rate number scam on your viewers who want to come along to the show in person.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2009 at 10:18am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge