0800 Numbers (Read 28,686 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: 0800 Numbers
Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:03am

So does BT now charge or not charge for calling 0800 from a Payphone then?  "may" does not really help us.

I suppose they might now charge their 30p per minute connection fee then nothing per minute but I can't really see them doing this for something like the AA breakdown number.

I believe BT are or were conducting an experiment in to different payphone prices in different sorts of locations that good old Ofcom gave them permission for............

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:22am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:03am:
So does BT now charge or not charge for calling 0800 from a Payphone then?  "may" does not really help us.

No. They are free as they always have been. See this post I made the other day explaining this.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:15pm

Dave wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:22am:
No. They are free as they always have been. See this post I made the other day explaining this.

You didn't mention the cost of 0800 numbers from Payphones in that post but in your other post in this thread you said they may be subject to additional charges according to the BT price list.  But obviously in reality that higher cost only relates to possibly calling 0800 numbers on a private payphone and not a BT one out in the street.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:21pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:15pm:
You didn't mention the cost of 0800 numbers from Payphones in that post but in your other post in this thread you said they may be subject to additional charges according to the BT price list.  But obviously in reality that higher cost only relates to possibly calling 0800 numbers on a private payphone and not a BT one out in the street.

If you follow the link to BT Price List Payphone rates you will see that 0800 and other freephone numbers are free to the caller.

The quote above in this thread relates to service providers who operate 0800 numbers. It is they who "may" be charged.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Dave wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:21pm:
The quote above in this thread relates to service providers who operate 0800 numbers. It is they who "may" be charged.

What do you mean by service provider though?

The originating telecoms company from the 0800 number that is called.  Or the telecoms company for the call centre receiving the call.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:43pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:24pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:42pm:

I understand Ofcom terminology to refer to three parties: OCP, TCP and SP.

1. The Originating Communications Provider is that on whose network the call is originated.

2. The Terminating Communications Provider is that on whose network the call is terminated.

3. The Service Provider is the organisation whose services are accessed by the call.

These terms are used when revenue sharing is involved.

The SP is a customer of the TCP. The caller is a customer of the OCP and the SP.

Where the service is designated as a "premium rate service" the SP becomes a communications service provider and thereby falls within the scope of Ofcom's regulatory powers (subcontracted to PhonePay Plus).

With 0800 numbers called from phone boxes, the supplementary charges may make the SP a customer of the OCP.

Please correct me if I have this wrong, although I make this posting with some confidence.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:50pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 12:42pm:

The originating telecoms company from the 0800 number that is called.  Or the telecoms company for the call centre receiving the call.

As SilentCallsVictim says, the "service provider" or SP is the party receiving the call.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 4:24pm

I am sure that calls to 0800 from a phone box are always free to the calling party. However, in my experience, some 0800 numbers which work from a residential line, give unobtainable from a phone box. I guess this is because the called party has to pay a hefty charge per minute for calls received from a phone box, and Dave's postings seem to confirm that. Likewise, prepayment cards allow fewer minutes if you use them from a phone box (assuming they work at all).

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:50pm

nicholas43 wrote on Jun 30th, 2008 at 4:24pm:
I am sure that calls to 0800 from a phone box are always free to the calling party. However, in my experience, some 0800 numbers which work from a residential line, give unobtainable from a phone box. I guess this is because the called party has to pay a hefty charge per minute for calls received from a phone box, and Dave's postings seem to confirm that. Likewise, prepayment cards allow fewer minutes if you use them from a phone box (assuming they work at all).

It seems all companies offering 0800 numbers should have these limitations explained to them so that they will then also always provide a geographic alternative number to call them on too.

I wonder whether one can also call 00 800 International Freephone numbers from a BT PayPhone.  It would surely destroy one of their main purposes if one cannot.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2008 at 6:52pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Fusion

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:48am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 27th, 2008 at 10:33pm:
Fusion wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 1:43pm:
if like me you only have a mobile. 0800 numbers are not included in my allowance so I have to pay extra.

Where do you use the internet then if you don't have a phone line or any broadband?

Also surely there are still quite a few phone boxes knocking about.  Calling 0800 from one of those is still free even though calling 084/7 numbers from a phone box is very, very expensive.

I have web n walk on my mobile contract so I can hook it up to my computer as a modem - all internet usage is included in my contract and there are no limits on how much I use it.

Yep, I hear you about phone boxes but you are missing the point. 0800 numbers are great, but it is in everybody's best interests, business and consumers alike, if a geographical number is also listed as an alternative. This would not cost or hinder anybody - business would actually save money when people use the geographical number and consumers would save money if calling from a mobile. Its a case of having choice.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 10:20am

Fusion wrote on Jul 2nd, 2008 at 9:48am:
I have web n walk on my mobile contract so I can hook it up to my computer as a modem - all internet usage is included in my contract and there are no limits on how much I use it.

I think you will find there are rather a lot of hidden "Fair Use" limits on how much you can download with WebnWalk!

I wouldn't even go near the BBC Iplayer website using WebnWalk.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge