Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norwich City Council (Read 49,492 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: Norwich City Council
Reply #15 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:42pm

At least I got it. The logical argument seemed to work. I can think of many organisations where the logical argument of why an alternative number is needed falls on deaf ears and to hell with you if you wish to call from abroad, a mobile, etc, etc.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 11:03pm

jamesbond wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:22pm:
Hi there!

Why not badger the councillors at Norwich, and try and knock some sense into them?  Would they like to pay the 0844 rates?  I doubt it!

We must be a little careful here. This is not the same situation as with the call type "g6" 0844 numbers. It is only those with inclusive landline packages in effect at the time and callers from mobiles who pay more than for calling a 01603 number, others pay less.

I share the view that this was a daft decision that needs to be criticised, a 03xx number would have been far more suitable and would probably have cost council-tax payers little or no more.

It will probably have to wait until the people of the "Fine City" of Norwich start getting their inclusive package and mobile telephone bills listing charges for calls to this number before the issue explodes locally. This is when the local media will be able to pick up on it.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #17 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 12:19am

FOI response to a request for the geographic number for Norwich City Council:

<<
Thank you for your email, I apologise for the delay in responding to your request.

Norwich City Council has introduced an 0844 telephone number which replaced several 01603 numbers.  The change of telephone number means customers will need just need one telephone number when contacting the council about any matter and will improve customer services.

The former 01603 numbers have been replaced and are no longer available.

Yours sincerely

Chris Lambert
Democratic Services Officer
Norwich City Council
01603 212490
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #18 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 3:07am

Internal review now requested due to the original question not being answered.

What a waste of time an effort just to obtain something as simple as a telephone number.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 5:40pm

idb wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 3:07am:
Internal review now requested due to the original question not being answered.

What a waste of time an effort just to obtain something as simple as a telephone number.

As he ended his response to you with; -

"Yours sincerely

Chris Lambert
Democratic Services Officer
Norwich City Council
01603 212490 "

It seems a bit silly to include a number that according to him; - "The former 01603 numbers have been replaced and are no longer available. "

Have you tried that number? does it go to NCC ?

Actually I have just tried that number and got through to Democratic Services, (so not ALL 01603 numbers  are no longer available),  don't know if it was Chris Lambert, but he did not sound the full shilling, he told me to ring the 0844 number for NCC switchboard, and when I said why should I ring a premium rate number he said, "it is not a premium rate number, then the line went dead!
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2008 at 5:44pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 8:48pm

Source: Norwich Evening News

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=N...

New council number will make a big difference

David Bale
01 June 2009 17:00

Norwich City Council is changing its telephone number from Monday, August 3 - to make it cheaper for customers to call.

The new number - 0344 980 3333 - is very similar to the existing one - 0844 980 3333 - as it only has one digit that is different, but will make a big difference to customers.

A council spokeswoman said: “Changing the number from an 08 to an 03 number has three important benefits.

“Our customers told us it was too expensive to call us so we are changing our number to address the problem.

“Most of our customers will be able to call us at low cost regardless of the phone they are calling on. Many customers can use their mobile or landline 'inclusive' minutes package to call us for free.”

Steve Morphew, leader of the council, said the 0844 number was introduced last year as it appeared to be the most cost effective way forward for customers and the council.

But he added: “But due to the pricing structure and call charges of some phone companies, lots of our customers who only have pay-as-you-go mobile phones were paying over the odds when they called us.

“We thought this rip-off would have ended by now but phone companies haven't changed their pricing structure as expected so we have found an alternative way forward which is to introduce an 0344 number.”

Under the existing 0844 number the customer bears all the call costs, but once the new number is adopted, the city council will pay a share of the cost for inbound calls.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 1:17pm

Dave wrote on Jun 1st, 2009 at 8:48pm:
Norwich City Council is changing its telephone number from Monday, August 3 - to make it cheaper for customers to call.

The new number - 0344 980 3333 - is very similar to the existing one - 0844 980 3333 - as it only has one digit that is different, but will make a big difference to customers.

A council spokeswoman said: “Changing the number from an 08 to an 03 number has three important benefits.

Our customers told us it was too expensive to call us so we are changing our number to address the problem.

“Most of our customers will be able to call us at low cost regardless of the phone they are calling on. Many customers can use their mobile or landline 'inclusive' minutes package to call us for free.”

Steve Morphew, leader of the council, said the 0844 number was introduced last year as it appeared to be the most cost effective way forward for customers and the council.

“We thought this rip-off would have ended by now but phone companies haven't changed their pricing structure as expected so we have found an alternative way forward which is to introduce an 0344 number.”

Under the existing 0844 number the customer bears all the call costs, but once the new number is adopted, the city council will pay a share of the cost for inbound calls.

Although the original screw-up by these councillors and especially the council leader in first being conned in to using an 0844 number and the lies then told to justify it was on a quite monumental scale it is heartening to see this error being put right so relatively quickly in Norwich City Council's case.  So well done to the local public there (and no doubt also to some dissident councillors on the group in power and also some vociferous members of the opposition) for forcing the council to backtrack and switch to an 03 number so quickly.  If only the NHS or HMRC's capacity to correct their errors were of the same relatively speedy pace.

The one thing that does concern me in a way though is the Council being left with an odd 0344 access code that very few other governmental bodies will be using and so that may still not be recognised as part of call allowances by some callers.  I really think that having realised its error that Norwich City Council would have been much better off switching over to an 0300 number with the clearer inclusive calls qualifying and public sector organisation branding that this number block now carries.  Also Councillor Morphew still seems a little confused about who will be able to call them either out of inclusive minutes or at standard national rate on their new 03 number when he refers to Most and Many of the council's customers benefiting from the new number.  Were the council to have previously used an 0845 number then the councillor would have had some legitimate reasons to qualify his statement due to the cheaper weekday daytime rate to 0845 for those with BT not on their Anytime calls plan.

I am still a little curious to know though why Councillor Morphew thought that "this rip-off would have ended by now". Also if he and his Cabinet colleagues recognised that 0844 numbers were a rip-off at the time then why did they ever sign up for them in the first place. Wink Roll Eyes

I also doubt that anyone is now likely to believe anything Councillor Morphew or his senior council employees tell the public after the quite horrendous lies they told everyone about their 0844 number.  Perhaps in order to restore its public credibility Norwich City Council should have outed the telco that conned them in to signing up for the 0844 number in the first place and explained the precise method of the confidence trickery no doubt used by that telco in order to sell the 0844 number to the Council.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2009 at 1:20pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 8:33pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 2nd, 2009 at 1:17pm:
I am still a little curious to know though why Councillor Morphew thought that "this rip-off would have ended by now". Also if he and his Cabinet colleagues recognised that 0844 numbers were a rip-off at the time then why did they ever sign up for them in the first place. Wink Roll Eyes

The cost of calling an 0844 number from a BT line is down to the respective telephone provider. The vast majority of these charges are passed to this telephone provider and BT keeps a tiny part.

The customer of the telephone provider operating Norwich City Council's 0844 number is the Council. So it is directly responsible for selecting the amount callers pay for its own benefit!

This is the "rip-off" that Councillor Morphew refers to and it is his council that opted in to it.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:12pm

There is undoubtedly a significant degree of ignorance, confusion and misunderstanding involved here. Some of that from the past has not been acknowledged and some of it remains.

The people of Norwich may wish to explore the competence of their elected representatives. I am simply delighted at them having done the right thing and provided a good example of what is right and what is wrong. (I do however regret the money that has been unfairly made by telcos in the meantime.)

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #24 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:21pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:12pm:
I am simply delighted at them having done the right thing and provided a good example of what is right and what is wrong. (I do however regret the money that has been unfairly made by telcos in the meantime.)

On those two points I find myself in agreement with you. Shocked

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #25 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:25pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:12pm:
There is undoubtedly a significant degree of ignorance, confusion and misunderstanding involved here.

As there is with the whole 084/7 covert revenue sharing system.  Which is why I remain utterly and implacably opposed to its use by either the private sector or the public sector.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:00pm

Source: Norwich City Council

http://www.norwich.gov.uk/intranet_docs/corporate/public/committee/reports/2009/...

COUNCIL
9 June 2009
Questions to Executive Members and Committee Chairs

Question 13
Councillor Brian Watkins to the Leader of the Council:-

‘Last July Councillor Morphew launched the council's new 0844 number saying 'We are committed to getting it right first time, every time'. Would he explain why the council failed in this goal and why proper research was not carried out into the cost of the 0844 number before the switch from the old numbers? Would he also inform council of what the full cost (advertising, reprinting of literature, staff time etc) of changing telephone numbers twice in a year has been and where this money is coming from?’

Councillor Steve Morphew, Leader of the Council’s reply:-

‘Introducing the 0844 number was the means of making significant improvements to front line delivery of services to our customers. This was achieved by having the menu behind the single number and this has given us the tools to drastically improve the time it takes to handle a customer’s query, and has proved to greatly reduce the amount of customers that need to call us back for issues as they are dealt with at first point of contact. It has reduced our average waiting times from 1 minute 33 seconds (July 2008) to 51 seconds (April 2009).

At the time of the original change, both options of 08 and 03 were investigated. Although we fully expected to improve service delivery in the long term, the installation of a 03 number at the very beginning would have had a significant cost attached to it, as the council would be paying for every second that a customer was sat waiting in a queue, had to call us back, or had to be redirected. We also tried to lobby the telecom providers to include 0844 numbers in packages and not to make them premium rate calls.

Now that the new system has been implemented, and service delivery is greatly improved, we have re-evaluated our position, and reworked the costs. We also recognised from feedback that some of our customers were unhappy with the cost of their calls, mainly due to the telecoms companies’ reluctance to include 0844 numbers as part of their inclusive minute’s packages. In recognition of concerns raised, the telecoms providers not making changes, and the recession, we are reducing costs to our customers by introducing the 03 number. However, although they have now changed arrangements for 0845 numbers, they have not made changes for the 0844 numbers. The 03 numbers are included in any customers free minutes package, landline or mobile, and calls can also be dialled directly from outside the UK.

There are no telephony set up charges for changing from the 08 to the 03 number and both numbers will be running side by side initially, so this reduces the need to change leaflets etc. until they need replacing. Changes to signs for the one digit change together with associated publicity will be covered by existing budgets.’

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Jun 22nd, 2009 at 11:57pm

The reported comments again reflect the confusion and misunderstanding referred to previously.

Although in this case a reversal of the original mistaken decision has been achieved, the degree of attack suffered on account of having had to make a u-turn shows why this has not been possible in other cases.

It is vital that local authorities and other public service providers are properly made aware of the issues before taking decisions. This cannot be expected to be provided by those tendering to provide services, as this is not their affair and they cannot offer disinterested advice.

Proper briefings on these matters must be widely distributed by DCLG and the Cabinet Office, notably from the Contact Council and the COI. Ofcom should also have a role, probably in support of such initiatives.

Some work to this end has been undertaken, but much more is required.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 11:36am

Maybe a briefing, perhaps by SCV, to the Local Government Association would be useful?   That is often a main point of contact and advice for local councils.  I don't know if the LGA has any current position or advice on this matter but it would be helpful if they had the facts as there is a danger they, too, would rely on the telecoms companies for information.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #29 - Jul 24th, 2009 at 9:08pm

The number change is reported in the Norwich Citizen (page 4), the council's newsletter:

http://www.norwich.gov.uk/intranet_docs/A-Z/Citizen/Citizen_July_2009.pdf

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge