Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Unite" students 0845 fire regulations. (Read 20,234 times)
redant

"Unite" students 0845 fire regulations.
Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:37pm

My daughter is at university in Birmingham and has been allocated accomodation in halls operated by a private company called "unite". The fire regulations are causing me some concern; in the event of a fire the fire alarm will trigger.  The students have to determine themselves if it is a serious fire and dial an 0845 number within 4 minuites to stop the fire brigade attending.  If the fire brigade attend and the fire alarm has been triggered by, say burnt toast, they will be fined £100 for a false call out.  This pre-supposes that 1) the students have a mobile phone 2) it is fully charged and has credit on the phone (there are no phones at all within the rooms).  This appears to me to be about the worst possible use of a non-geographic number as it directly relates to the safety of the students.  I have contacted the company who state that 0845 is the only option, although I understand that all calls terminate in the companies central control unit in Bristol (unite operate halls at all the major universities).  Any advice that anybody can give or if anyone has other details that I can use to try to get "unite" to release a geographic number would be appreciated.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: "Unite" students 0845 fire regulations.
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:45pm

The number you refer to is 0845 111 0021. This number has been previously discussed on this thread. There did used to be an alternative number (0117 302 7499) but it was "withdrawn".

I believe that properties normally have a call point somewhere in reception which I believe you could use for free to notify the control room of a false alarm. If someone is in reception, you should be able to notify them and they can call the control room for you (so you don't have to waste your money calling them yourselves).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:01pm

redant wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 12:37pm:
My daughter is at university in Birmingham and has been allocated accomodation in halls operated by a private company called "unite". The fire regulations are causing me some concern; in the event of a fire the fire alarm will trigger.  The students have to determine themselves if it is a serious fire and dial an 0845 number within 4 minuites to stop the fire brigade attending.  If the fire brigade attend and the fire alarm has been triggered by, say burnt toast, they will be fined £100 for a false call out.  This pre-supposes that 1) the students have a mobile phone 2) it is fully charged and has credit on the phone (there are no phones at all within the rooms).  This appears to me to be about the worst possible use of a non-geographic number as it directly relates to the safety of the students.  I have contacted the company who state that 0845 is the only option, although I understand that all calls terminate in the companies central control unit in Bristol (unite operate halls at all the major universities).  Any advice that anybody can give or if anyone has other details that I can use to try to get "unite" to release a geographic number would be appreciated.  

So what happens if there is no one in the halls and there is a false alarm, do the students still get fined? I would suggest you look into the legality of this clause.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:16pm

Search the database for unite group to bring up the entries for this company.

IP Logged

gudman

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:22pm

There are few concerns about this post. Normally if you discover or suspect a fire, you will have to raise the fire alarm, I think this is a normal policy. Students are trained to investgate fire? Is it fair to fine students even if it is not their fault? Is there any phone available to use by the students to contact 'unite'? As sherbert suggested you need to seek legal advice.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:35pm

gudman wrote on Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:22pm:
There are few concerns about this post. Normally if you discover or suspect a fire, you will have to raise the fire alarm, I think this is a normal policy. Students are trained to investgate fire? Is it fair to fine students even if it is not their fault? Is there any phone available to use by the students to contact 'unite'? As sherbert suggested you need to seek legal advice.

I agree that legal advice should be sought.

Under health and safety, when the fire alarm sounds, everyone should evacuate to the assembly point. What redante has said suggests that Unite is encouraging a potentially dangerous situation of people staying in the building.

For example, what happens if the alarm is falsely activated by someone burning toast, but simultaneously a real fire starts somewhere else? The control room will be notified whereabouts the alarm has been activated and would therefore know that there has been two activations. The person causing the false alarm would therefore stay in the building (and may tell others nearby that it's a false alarm) until they can get through to the control room who will inform them that there are two simultaneous activations.

As I say, I think this a potentially dangerous situation which needs looking into.

IP Logged

redant

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:36pm

Many thanks for link and comments by Gudman.  No there are no phones provided by Unite so students have to rely on their mobiles.  My thoughts are the same about how to determine how serious the fire is.  Faced with a potential £100 fine would you concider a minor fire to be within your capabilities to deal with it?  I have referred the matter to Birmingham City Council who referred the matter to the Fire Service; they are currently reviewing fire procedures as they do not appear to be as agreed when the building opened (new accommodation opened September this year).  I will post if I have any further information.

IP Logged

redant

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 1:41pm

Have just read your post Dave regarding possibility of two alarms. This does have very serious implications and will take up directly with unite, person I am dealing with is Joanne Butler-Henderson who is assisstant to the directors so should be able to refer quickly.  Am due to talk again to the Fire Service and will make this point to them.  I do feel this is potentially dangerous and should be clarified.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 2:00pm

I would seriously suggest that you contact Birmingham City Council Health & Safety Department. The more I read and think about this,I think there is something very wrong here. If it is, then the council should bring an injunction against Unite Group to take this clause out of the students leases, contracts or what ever.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 3:22pm

And apart from the issues mentioned so far, even without any toast nearby a faulty sensor can set off an alarm. It's contractually unfair and surely unenforceable for students to be fined by the company for potential malfunction of its own equipment.

What's more, the students don't know where all of these sensors are, for example if some are in locked parts of the premises such as plant rooms or control panel cabinets; they aren't trained to intervene there, and health and safety rules would prevent them doing so.

And if the alarms are faulty, is the company or its insurers liable to the residents for damage caused by false actuation of a sprinkler system, if there is one? If there's one legal grey area here, I wouldn't be surprised if there are several

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 6:51pm

I think before people get too carried away here, I think what UNITE is trying to say is that if you yourself had accidentally set the fire alarm off, then it is your responsibility to contact the control room and inform them that it is an accident. I think what has happened here is that people have misinterpreted what UNITE has said as assuming that students should be investigating fire alarms within the building that they didn't set off - I'm more than sure UNITE would never suggest that.

As I said earlier, I believe that there is an emergency call point in the reception of the building that students can use to inform the control room of a false alarm. Also, if there are members of staff on duty at the time, they would also be able to contact the control room and inform them of the false alarm.

I've tried emailing UNITE myself to request either an alternative or consideration of using an 03 number which would be cheaper for students to call. I never got any reply, so the next course of action would be calling their switchboard directly and speaking to someone knowledgeable of the situation.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Stoday

East Anglia
Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:35am

The rule creates an inappropriate incentive that should cause some concern.

If an alarm sounds, it may be true or false; any student would have to contribute to an uncancelled false alarm. So there's an incentive for any student to cancel the alarm even if it's a true one. After all, there's no disincentive for cancelling a true alarm.

Indeed, the students should make their own rule to eliminate the possibility of being charged. Anyone should cancel the alarm immediately on it sounding (using a pay-as-you-go mobile perhaps). Then, in due course, it will be apparent if the alarm was true. Someone can then dial 999.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:43am by Stoday »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 5:55am

Perhaps one should try to establish whether the threat of a fine is actually meant to be applied with common sense against clearly irresponsible behaviour, e.g. setting off alarms deliberately as a prank and then claiming it was an accidental false alarm.

(Or perhaps students are different these days!)

03 is now a little more widely used than was the case when this issue was raised in the other thread. As mobile use is widespread amongst students and the negative effects of revenue sharing numbers are seen most strongly with mobile tariffs, one might look to the student community for a strong body of campaigners for users of non-geographic numbers that they are required to call to switch to 03.

(Or perhaps students are different these days!)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2008 at 8:21pm

I've just tried the alternative, 0117 3027499, and it was answered by someone as "Control Room". So it appears to be working again.

IP Logged

redant

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 9:51am

Many thanks Dave-will pass this information on.  I am still waiting for a reply to my e-mail from Unite re why they dont use 03 number as students have to advise the control room using their own mobile phones, and the interpretation of the fire regulations which do appear to be flawed.  Will post reply when received.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge