Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HMRC asks "Why don't you give us a call?" (Read 45,944 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: HMRC Still in Denial Over 0845 Numbers
Reply #15 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 9:28pm

Dave wrote on Sep 26th, 2009 at 11:40am:
I never thought I'd see the day when NGMsGhost would relinquish his call for all premium rate services to operate on 09 numbers only!  Shocked Angry Cry

Has he been "got at"?  Huh

No I have not changed my core views that all premium rate numbers should be on a code or codes only used by premium rate numbers and that the public recognises as such.  However by demanding that 0844 numbers also be transferred to ICSTIS control I was being realistic about what we can actually hope to achieve given the current inherent bias at Ofcom in favour of protecting the NTS revenue share industry.

After Ofcom even U-turned at the last moment on its own commitment to make 070 numbers re-number to 06 I know that there is absolutely no hope at all of them forcing 0844 or 0871 numbers to be re-numbered to the 09 prefix where they belong.

Hopefully things will be different under the next government when Ofcom is no doubt either divided back up in to its original component parts or otherwise heavily changed by the new incoming government.

<div style=

IP Logged

fred21

UK
Re: HMRC asks "Why don't you give us a call?"
Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:53pm

just posted this info about a Number10 Petition deadline 13 March 2010 re calls to government offices:

fred21 wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 11:44pm:
There's a Number10 petition http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/no2costlynumbers/ to:

"Enable OFCOM to enforce change of 0870, 0845 and similar expensive call cost numbers to all govenment offices to be changed to 01 or 02 geographic STD numbers or local call numbers."

which I assume includes HMRC/DWP.  

The deadline is 13 March 2010.  

btw: Hi - I've just been searching for non-0845 numbers for HMRC - and decided to join the forum.  Smiley  Put this at the end 'cos I'm not sure how "new posts" are displayed and wanted people to see the petition (rather than me).

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:46am

See list of Public Accounts Committee Meetings.

Yesterday, the topic was "HMRC: Dealing with telephone enquiries", and the witnesses were Lesley Strathie, Chief Executive and Permanent Secretary, Mr Nick Lodge, Director, Debt Management and Banking and Mr Chris Hopson, Director, Customer Contact, HM Revenue and Customs.

Watch the meeting here on Parliament TV.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:52am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 2:36pm

The part of the meeting of interest here starts 16 minutes in. What follows is my summary of what was said.

There are 139 customer facing 0845 numbers, and part of this is because of the way that PAYE tax enquiries had to be dealt with at a specific contact centre for the caller's area which would have its own 0845 number. A new system introduced last year means that all enquiries can now be dealt with at any contact centre and there are plans to replace 70 incoming numbers (for enquiries from different areas) with just one, later on this year.

The discussion then turns to telephone numbers and the example of what the DWP has done is brought up. There is a balance to be struck between giving a service that is free to call (where HMRC payes for calls) and not. The DWP has moved only its lines that get the longest calls to 0800 numbers, and these last around half an hour to an hour. HMRC has a different "call profile" to DWP; about 95% of its calls to Child Benefits and Tax Credits lines last less than 10 minutes.

Moving forward to about 48 minutes, Austin Mitchell asks why don't they call people back. Mr Mitchell then gives Bristol Council as an example where they say how long they estimate it will be until the call is answered, and give the option of them ringing back at the same time. HMRC is "trialling" call backs for callers to Child Benefit lines.

The cost of calling on 0845 numbers is raised at 54 minutes and at 57 minutes Leslie Strathie, Chief Executive of HMRC, formerly of DWP, responded to a question, with reference to the 139 numbers with the 0845 prefix used by HMRC, - “Are you making any money from these calls?”

She responded “I can categorically say ‘we are not making any money’. We are not in the business of making money.

“What I can say, without getting into the commercial in confidence aspect of any of our contracts, is that the 0845 numbers are actually configured in a way that over a period of time we are paying for that investment in the system. It’s actually quite a complex arrangement; we don’t have a single telephone provider for all of our telephone services at the moment.

“I do know what you are alluding to, I did go through this in DWP and JobCentre Plus. As I said earlier, we are in the process of reviewing our current suppliers and our contracts on telephones at the moment.”

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:14pm

Source: This is Money/Daily Mail

Hanging on the taxman's telephone: Taxpayers 'could wait half an hour at a cost of £12' to get through to HMRC

By Tara Evans

PUBLISHED: 14:37, 12 April 2012

Taxpayers face waiting nearly half an hour when calling the HMRC, according to a campaign group.

Despite a long-standing promise from the Inland Revenue that it would aim to answer 91 per cent of telephone calls within 31 seconds, the Low Incomes Tax Reforms Group found that it took on average 29 minutes for a call to be picked up.

The campaign group carried out a 'mystery shop' on the HMRC telephone service on Tuesday last week by making three telephone calls posing as an PAYE caller, pensioner and tax credit claimant.

[…]

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:43am

Which is why I always write to them.

I write to the (Leicester) office that sends me my Notice of Coding each year but never get a reply from them.  Variously, people from Glasgow, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Liverpool and Cardiff reply (usually with nonsense which requires me to write again seeking clarification and/or a real answer to my original query).

HMRC must have the most convoluted structure imaginable.  No wonder they're always making mistakes and can never be bothered to answer the phone.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:44am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #21 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:45am

I recently had cause to call HMRC and used their geographic number prefixed by 141.  When the call was answered, I was asked where I was calling from and said (honestly) the UK.  I was then told that my call would be dealt with this time, but in the near future, they would only be speaking to UK callers if they used the NGN number.  I asked what would happen if I said I was calling from Europe and the reply was "oh, that's OK, I would deal with it"  After my query had been dealt with, I said that when I had previously used the 0845 number (I'm with BT, so no extra cost) the calls had been cut off 3 times.  I was told that it was possibly to do with staff level problems but in future, I should still use the 0845 number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 12:25pm

Kiwi_g wrote on Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:45am:
I recently had cause to call HMRC and used their geographic number prefixed by 141.  When the call was answered, I was asked where I was calling from and said (honestly) the UK.  I was then told that my call would be dealt with this time, but in the near future, they would only be speaking to UK callers if they used the NGN number.  I asked what would happen if I said I was calling from Europe and the reply was "oh, that's OK, I would deal with it"  After my query had been dealt with, I said that when I had previously used the 0845 number (I'm with BT, so no extra cost) the calls had been cut off 3 times.  I was told that it was possibly to do with staff level problems but in future, I should still use the 0845 number.

Kiwi_g, there are clearly differing experiences when ringing HMRC. A recent thread has been started on this, HMRC friendlier than note on the site and I ask that you post about it on there, giving the number you dialled and the 0845 number it was an alternative for.

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #23 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 5:29pm

In reply to Dave, I called HMRC most likely on 01355 359022, during a weekend last month (I do have the date, time and the name of the person I spoke to).  I was responding to a letter where the phone number shown was 0845 3000 627.  It was during this call that I was told that in the near future, only calls from overseas would be dealt with on the geographic number, however, this time, as a concession, my query would be dealt with.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #24 - May 12th, 2012 at 8:47pm

Source: Kilmarnock Standard

MP demands answers over tax calls

Quote:
MP Cathy Jamieson is demanding answers after an increase in constituent complaints about the HMRC’s tax helplines.

New figures show that the waiting time for people calling the helplines has almost trebled in the last two years.

The helplines are automatically answered within a few rings– meaning callers begin to be charged – but callers are then given a range of options and often spend time on hold before speaking to an adviser.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge