NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Ofcom 070 review
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 1:24pm

irrelevant wrote on Jan 19th, 2009 at 10:31pm:
At least we're not yet in the mess that Gibraltar was in until recently with regard to their number space originally being within Spain ...

With respect surely we are in precisely that situation as Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man currently have UK dialling codes but are not part of the United Kingdom.

<div style=

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:17pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 at 1:24pm:
With respect surely we are in precisely that situation as Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man currently have UK dialling codes but are not part of the United Kingdom.

I was more referring to the mess referred to in the article whereby Spain considered Gibralter as part of their numbering plan, restricted them to using 5 figure numbers, and barred access to +350, wheras everybody else recognised +350 as a valid country code and allowed access to longer numbers, and consequently companies trying to route +350 calls via Spanish telecom operators had the calls dropped.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:32pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 at 1:22pm:
[
Either they should be deemed to be fully part of the UK for all call charging purposes, in which case they can retain their +44 code and current number allocations, or they should be deemed to be fully outside it and have their own country code so no one is misled.  Citizens of Glibraltar and the Falkland Islands have the right of abode in the UK if they so wish (like those of the Channel Islands and Isle of Man) but they still have their own telephone country codes.

The current situation is anomalous and deliberately misleading.

Quote:
The issue of some 07 mobile numbers being outside of inclusive bundles does not just affect the three islands. I expect that other 075/077/078/079 numbers which are not allocated to the main networks (O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange and 3) will also be outside of inclusive minutes. It's strange that you don't mention these.

I was not aware there were other UK based mobile operators who were not included in bundled cross network minutes packages.  Can you reveal who those operators are Dave?

Why is this issue winding you up so much?

The phone calls to there have to cross some sea, and they are terminated on networks run by different companies, so it isn't too surprising that charges may vary slightly.

As for your allegation that things are deliberately misleading: you just can't resist your default position of alleging corruption all the time, can you? And where is there any statement that is actually misleading? None at all; you're completely inventing most of this nonsense as you go along.

There are loads of companies with 07x mobile number allocations, VoIP, wi-fi, those dozen guard-band GSM networks, and others.

As I've already said, you don't like your own network's charges to non-included destinations, then canvass them to change. If not, switch network. Personally, I'm sceptical you're actually affected by this anyway.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 4:36pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:41pm

Dave wrote on Jan 19th, 2009 at 9:12pm:
They share the UK's country code because that's the way it was done.

That's surely a bit like Tiscali, TalkTalk or Vodafone saying they charge the prices they currently do for 084/7 calls just because they can do and always have done.  But that surely doesn't make it right or ethical does it. Wink Roll Eyes

What are you on about?  Roll Eyes

The prices they charge are set by market forces and doesn't necessarily reflect the actual cost (plus "reasonable" profit"). That is the point of having competing companies. I thought you knew more about economics than me!

I vote that we should drive on the right as driving on the left leaves us in a minority. Currently, cars must be modified to suit our strange ways. Visit saynotodrivingontheleft.com for more information.

Quite clearly such a change would nigh-on impossible.

Quote:
I don't know why that is. In an ideal world, perhaps they should have their own ones. Are we to assume that you would like Jersey, Guernsey and IoM to change to their own country codes?

Either they should be deemed to be fully part of the UK for all call charging purposes, in which case they can retain their +44 code and current number allocations, or they should be deemed to be fully outside it and have their own country code so no one is misled.  Citizens of Glibraltar and the Falkland Islands have the right of abode in the UK if they so wish (like those of the Channel Islands and Isle of Man) but they still have their own telephone country codes.

Whilst I don't disagree with you in principal, a more pragmatic solution is to leave them as they are.

The current situation is anomalous and deliberately misleading.

The use of the word "deliberately" implies that you think someone concocted it for devious intent!! lol

Quote:
The issue of some 07 mobile numbers being outside of inclusive bundles does not just affect the three islands. I expect that other 075/077/078/079 numbers which are not allocated to the main networks (O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Orange and 3) will also be outside of inclusive minutes. It's strange that you don't mention these.

I was not aware there were other UK based mobile operators who were not included in bundled cross network minutes packages.  Can you reveal who those operators are Dave?

Source: Three Price Guide

Outside of inclusive allowances:

077442-9, 077552-5, 079118, 078931, 079112, 078745, 079784, 078744, 078939, 078223, 078220, 078920, 078727, 078922, 078930, 078921, 077001, 079780, 075201, 078730, 079788, 078221, 078644, 078224, 078226, 079785, 078225, 078933, 079789

Source: Vodafone Premium Call Charges

Up to 50 pence per minute:

07700, 077442, 077443, 077444, 077445, 077446, 077447, 077448, 077449, 077552, 077553, 077554, 077555, 079112, 07624, 07781, 077977, 077978, 077979, 079117, 079112

Up to 34 pence per minute:

078744, 078930
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:56pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 1:05am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 20th, 2009 at 1:24pm:
The US, Canada and twenty-odd other territories of the NANP all share common 'dialling codes' (+1-nnn), although a call from +1-305 (Miami) to +1-212 (New York City) will, generally, be charged at a different rate from +1-305 to +1-441 (Bermuda). Is the situation within the British Isles vastly different in concept to this?

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:17pm

All of the response to the Ofcom 070 consultation have now been published at:-

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/070options/responses/

There are around 140 such responses in total but many of them are Name Withheld and are from the various individuals and businesses who insist on ripping off their callers by using an 070 number when they should be paying the forwarding cost themselves.

I do not recognise any other member of this group who I know the surname of (admittedly there are only about 10 or 15 such people who I do know by name) who have responded to this consultation.  Unfortunately the forum management massively fell down on this one by not putting a link to this consultation on its home page since 070 numbers have long been adversely commented on by this forum, both in the context of Patientline and mobile phone calling scams.

BT's response is interesting as they claim it would be disproportionate to bring 06 in to operation for this PNS use but then propose that 070 call recipients should be paying most or all of the higher call charges for the benefits they are receiving from the call redirection (instead of the caller).  But in which case surely 03 can already provide such a facility for anyone who wants a totally redirectable number but will pay for the redirection cost themselves?  If BT's suggestion was implemented then this would really be the final death knell for Patientline type hospital 070 services as I can't see the hospital patient being willing to pay 30p per minute incoming (the patient themselves obviously not being afflicted by quite the same guilt trip about needing to make contact as friends and loved ones, except I suppose where the prospects of surviving the op are not that good at all).  Of course I expect Ofcom will just roll on with their original proposal to leave the whole shoddy scam 070 number system in place since they seem much more concerned about not having to take on any businesses who challenge them at the Competition Appeals Tribunal.

However at least they published my response in full this time despite it being highly critical of Ofcom (but not libelous of any person or individual).  I think my threat to take any further redaction of my comments to the Parliamentary Ombudsman must have scared them off their scandalous redacting of various elements of my last Ofcom consultation response (which they just did but didn't even consult me about or offer any explanation for). Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:45pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:17pm:
BT's response is interesting as they claim it would be disproportionate to bring 06 in to operation for this PNS use but then propose that 070 call recipients should be paying most or all of the higher call charges for the benefits they are receiving from the call redirection (instead of the caller). ...

That's interesting. So BT is actually in support of discontinuing so-called "personal numbers" and you support BT in this view!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 3:28pm

Dave wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 at 2:45pm:
That's interesting. So BT is actually in support of discontinuing so-called "personal numbers" and you support BT in this view!

No you are incorrect in your supposition here.

I believe PNS numbers should preferably be moved to 09 or failing that to 06 if their present level of high charging is retained.  Whereas BT are utterly opposed to the opening up of the 06 number range for this use and also are not in favour of altering the number range from 070, despite the clear cut potential for confusion with a mobile number.

BT's solution is to leave 070 numbers where they are but to get the call recipient to pay either all the additional cost (above geographic rates) or alternatively that the caller should only pay some of the additional cost and that the recipient should pay the rest of the additional cost (i.e its no longer a free lunch for the call recipient).

Personally I think BT are rather confused as if the recipient pays all the extra routing cost then the use is just the same as an 03 number but if the caller pays some of the cost and the recipient pays some of the cost then this is different from 03.  My view would remain that these numbers should then move to 06 or 09 in a shared cost scenario.

So whilst I am pleased that BT have made it clear that they in principle oppose the caller paying for benefits that mainly accrue to the called party I do not support the rest of their proposals.

I am shocked that no other longstanding members of this campaign has apparently responded to this consulation in view of the longstanding opposition of members of the campaign to both the 070 Patientline style abuses and the 070 callback scams to mobile phone numbers.  However I think most of the blame for this can be laid at the door of the website's management team who did not publicise the consultation on the forum home page.  By contrast Flextel and co have been hard at work lobbying their 070 users to make anonymous responses supporting Ofcom's 070 proposals to retains 070 numbers almost wholly unaltered. Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #23 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 5:06pm

I've only just seen this and also had no idea that a consultation on 070 numbers was in progress (was being the operative word). I think it is outrageous that Ofcom is prepared to let this range continue and had no idea that the 06 migration proposal had been quietly dropped. 99% of people must think these are mobile numbers and the whole thing is an obvious front for scams. If they are supposed to be personal follow-me anywhere numbers, how come businesses like Saints transport are allowed to use them? I see their lorries with 07000 SAINTS plastered all over them on every motorway journey.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #24 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 5:49pm

My first encounter with 070's was when they were still new: a customer used an 0700 number - I initially thought they were freehone like 0500 and 0800 !

Whilst I brought the review to the attention of this forum with my posting of Flextel's email, I'm afraid to say I didn't put in a response myself to this one.  A combination of lack of available time to construct a coherant response and a tight deadline was the main reason, plus knowing that they are a rip off and never calling such numbers, I perhaps didn't give it as high a priority as it may have deserved.

IP Logged

Stoday

East Anglia
Reply #25 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:20pm

I rarely post on this forum, but I did respond to this consulation.  I'm one of the "name withheld" responses but I've no idea which one.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:29am

Stoday wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 at 10:20pm:
I rarely post on this forum, but I did respond to this consulation.  I'm one of the "name withheld" responses but I've no idea which one.

Its good to hear that I was not completely alone amongst the members of this forum in responding.

As to which Name Withheld I'm sure you would recognise your submission if you clicked Name Withheld enough times.  Also I would hope it is one of only four or five Name Withhelds opposing the Ofcom proposals rather than one of the many Name Withheld responses solicited by Flextel from their 070 customers saying things such as you have an 070 numbers engraved on the collars of your five pet dogs and will be gravely inconvenienced if you have to make up new labels for them (you think I'm kidding but this guy was for real, although he is in fact a named respondent).

Is there any particular reason you don't post on the forum here more often?
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:30am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #27 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:41am

irrelevant wrote on Jan 21st, 2009 at 5:49pm:
Whilst I brought the review to the attention of this forum with my posting of Flextel's email, I'm afraid to say I didn't put in a response myself to this one.

You have a lot to answer for then in not bothering to put in a response yourself while having made me stay up till 4am writing my response on the night after the 070 consultation officially closed (perhaps in line with their generally laissez faire approach to life Ofcom routinely accept responses to consultations submitted up to 9am the following morning after the day of closure and often for 2 or 3 days more after that).  I suppose you were relying on someone like me who felt strongly to do the job for you.  But I can't understand members of this forum not feeling strongly about 070 when it is home to one of the biggest covert premium rate abuses of the lot - namely ripoff bedside hospital phone lines.

I am particularly disappointed to learn that even Dave and also SilentCallsVictim (the latter normally always assuring us that it is vital to respond to all relevant Ofcom consultations and also being the self appointed head of the anti NHS telco ripoffs campaign) did not bother to make the effort to respond on this matter.

There is no excuse for the fact that the Home Page of this website was not used to encourage responses to the consultation in the couple of weeks up to its closure date. Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #28 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:19am

This is an interesting one:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/070options/responses/VirginMediaLtd.pdf

Header: Confidential

Cover page:

CONFIDENTIALITY
What do you want Ofcom to keep confidential?

Nothing Name/contact details/job title
Whole response X
Organisation
Part of the response
If there is no separate annex, which parts?

And then, it appears that the document is published in its entirety!

Good old Ofcom - a wonderful waste of one hundred and thirty three million pounds.

I expect this response will disappear tomorrow, so if you want to read it, you need to be quick.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:21am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #29 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:20am

For the record.

I have encouraged members who may wish to do so to take various actions, if I feel that this would be useful. I have never criticised, nor encouraged, inaction. I note that some members have often expressed their feelings about the pointlessness of responding to Ofcom consultations, although I cannot recall anyone being incited not to respond.

We must each do what we each feel is making the best use of our available time. I hope that none of us feels the need to justify their decisions to others. We may need to defend our views and opinions in argument in the forum, but answering for our behaviour is a quite separate matter.

False modesty prevents me from ever trying to take credit for mine  Wink. Maybe that should grant me some immunity from criticism.

On the specific issue, I will try to help by commenting in general terms. My limited time and limited mental capacity cause me to focus on only a few issues. Those on which I focus have demanded a lot of time recently, whereas on other occassions I may have broadened my scope.

I also direct my efforts to matters where I feel that I can make a difference, regardless of the importance of the issue. I do not pretend that this is a particularly worthy approach, however I am not seeking moral brownie points, but achievement of objective results.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge