Send Topic Print
Ofcom 070 review (Read 45,114 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Ofcom 070 review
Reply #30 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:25am

idb wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:19am:
I expect this response will disappear tomorrow, so if you want to read it, you need to be quick.
Someone may like to take a copy and release serialised extracts (suitably redacted to avoid compromising a desire for anonymity).

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #31 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:27am

This is an interesting one:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/070options/responses/VirginMediaLtd.pdf

Header: Confidential

Cover page:

CONFIDENTIALITY
What do you want Ofcom to keep confidential?

Nothing Name/contact details/job title
Whole response X
[...]

including:

Question 7: Should services provided by, for example, Hospedia, Premier Telesolutions and Trader Media be provided on an alternative number range to 070? Please provide any evidence to support your views.

While we accept that the scope of services run by organisations such as Hospedia and Trader Media deviate somewhat from the original concept of personal numbering services, we do not currently believe that they should be required to be provided via alternative number ranges. These services are established and recognised by consumers and to migrate them to alternative ranges outside of the personal numbering environment at the present time would, to Virgin Media’s mind, serve only to cause disruption and consumer confusion.

Question 8: Do you agree that Ofcom should withdraw formally the requirement for pre-call announcements on 070 Personal Numbers?

Virgin Media strongly supports the proposed removal of the requirement for pre-call announcements. Given the risk to human life and property that would exist should the requirement remain in force, we believe that its removal is a necessity and that the case for prescribing such action is self-evident.

We recognise, of course, that the emergence of the potential for life-threatening scenarios to occur has understandably been the over-riding influence leading to Ofcom’s proposed decision on the matter. However, we do believe that the removal of the requirement to provide pre-call announcements will have secondary benefits for all parties concerned. As set out in our response to the various NTS policy reform consultations and indeed the recent numbering consultation, we believe that such a requirement would be unduly onerous, complex and costly for originating CPs. Furthermore, the mandated use of pre-call announcements would be disruptive for terminating CPs, service providers and consumers and overall represents a disproportionate remedy. Notwithstanding the risk to human life and property inherent in the pre-call announcement requirement, we believe that the extension of the scope of the GC14 obligations constitutes a far more appropriate and proportionate solution to price transparency issues.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:28am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:31am

Question 4: Do you agree that Ofcom should require OCPs to give greater prominence to the cost of calling 070 numbers in published price lists and promotional material?

We generally welcome Ofcom’s proposals to give greater prominence to the cost of calling 070 numbers. As a consumer focussed organisation, Virgin Media takes its consumer interest and information obligations very seriously. Given the level of scams that have hitherto prevailed in the personal numbering environment, Virgin Media believes that consumer protection should be at the forefront of Ofcom’s objectives in undertaking this review. As such, we consider that the requirement for OCPs to afford greater prominence to 070 call charge information should be a constituent part of a wider package that also includes additional obligations on PNS providers - for example the requirement to undertake due diligence as per Ofcom’s proposed ‘Option 4’ in the consultation document. We therefore support the proposed extension of GC14 to encompass personal numbering services, on the basis that it is applied in parallel to extended obligations on PNS providers to undertake due diligence etc in accordance with the PhonepayPlus Code of Practice.

Furthermore, in extending the scope of GC14 we encourage Ofcom to ensure that originating CPs’ responsibilities are both proportionate and absolutely clear. Absence of ambiguity and scope for interpretation should be a key tenet of the establishment of any tariff transparency obligations – and to this extent we believe that the provision of examples and specific guidance would be beneficial to all stakeholders. For example, the proposed amendments to Annex 2 to General Condition 14 includes, at paragraph 3.2, a requirement on OCPs to ‘give prominence’ to certain pieces of information. By the same token, paragraph 4.2 obliges OCPs to provide ‘a clear reference’ as to where on websites and published price lists certain information can be found and paragraph 4.3 requires OCPs to include a ‘prominent statement’ indicating whether or not prices for call packages include calls to personal numbers. While we absolutely endorse the philosophy that Ofcom is attempting to foster within this Condition, we do believe that the terminology used has the potential to be interpreted in a number of ways and exposes the Condition to subjectivity. We suggest, therefore, that Ofcom provides a clearer set of guidelines or examples against which OCPs can develop and assess their compliance with the regulatory requirements.

Question 2: Do you agree that the costs outweigh the benefits in relation to closing the 070 number range and migrating users to an alternative range?

Virgin Media generally agrees that the costs of closing the 070 number range and migrating users to an alternative range would outweigh any benefit achieved. As Ofcom has identified, the costs to end users, service providers and indeed originating CPs would be substantial – and we believe that this would be the case irrespective of whether a completely new range was utilised or if the services were subsumed within an existing alternative range. Further, we believe that such migration would generate significant operational disruption, as well as potentially introducing additional inconsistencies to Ofcom’s objectives for number range/service transparency.
While personal numbering services are, in respect of service classification, perhaps not a ‘perfect fit’ alongside mobile numbers within the 07 range, Virgin Media is of the view that they reside more appropriately within this range than in certain of the alternatives proposed by Ofcom. That they have existed as a sub-range of 07 for a number of years, together with the absence of any conclusive proof of consumer confusion between 070 and mobile numbers constitutes, we believe, a strong argument to maintain the existing numbering arrangement. On this basis, and taking into account the perceived disruption and costs that would result from migration, we believe that migrating personal numbering services to an alternative number range at this time would be both impracticable and disproportionate.

Irrespective of which range ultimately supports personal numbering services, we believe that usage and application of the services should be closely monitored, with a view to undertaking further reviews of the situation as appropriate in the future.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:33am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:49am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009 at 2:20am:
[...]We must each do what we each feel is making the best use of our available time. I hope that none of us feels the need to justify their decisions to others. We may need to defend our views and opinions in argument in the forum, but answering for our behaviour is a quite separate matter. [...]
Fully agree with this. Contributors have distinct talents - some able to track down alternative numbers, some adept at searching for information, others with lobbying skills, and others with in-depth technical know-how.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #34 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:23am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:41am:
You have a lot to answer for then in not bothering to put in a response yourself while having made me stay up till 4am writing my response on the night after the 070 consultation officially closed (perhaps in line with their generally laissez faire approach to life Ofcom routinely accept responses to consultations submitted up to 9am the following morning after the day of closure and often for 2 or 3 days more after that).  I suppose you were relying on someone like me who felt strongly to do the job for you.  But I can't understand members of this forum not feeling strongly about 070 when it is home to one of the biggest covert premium rate abuses of the lot - namely ripoff bedside hospital phone lines.

I was fully intending to respond, but I don't have as much spare time as I would like, and it basically slipped my mind.  If I'd know about it a little more in advance, I would probably have done so.  I did respond to the 116 and DH 0844 consultations, and I do to other non-telecoms consutations occasionally.  I did, hower, recognise it's relevance to members of this forum when I got the email from Flextel, and afer checking to see if it had already been mentioned, create this topic.
If you choose to stay up until 4am formulating your response, then it's not really my problem, although I do commend your dedication, and I do recognise the sterling work you do generally in relation to the cause.  Most of my contributions to this forum are of a more technical nature, or trying to find alternates for people: My strengths are not in the campaigning field, and writing detailed responses are not second nature to me.  I also don't wish to get into personal arguments, so let's leave it there, eh?

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:25am by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 11:26am

irrelevant wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:23am:
If you choose to stay up until 4am formulating your response, then it's not really my problem, although I do commend your dedication, and I do recognise the sterling work you do generally in relation to the cause.   I also don't wish to get into personal arguments, so let's leave it there, eh?

Sorry I should have a put a few winking smilies etc in to my previous post.

In reality I only didn't finish the response till 4am because I didn't start it till 1am.  I only had just over 24 hours and was staying with a relative at that stage so couldn't get down to it earlier in the evening.  I knew I would write a fair bit once I started and I always find having to deal with responding to Ofcom consultations a cause of usually acute pain (mainly because I know in advance that they will completely ignore me and side with all the telcos) usually only relieved by biting back at the beast that has caused that pain.

Only when I was about to miss my chance altogether could I finally bring myself to do it.  As I used the online form to submit it (rather than an email) and the online form still presented itself at that hour (it did not say consultation closed) I knew my comments would be accepted.  I did of course cut and paste them all in to a Word document before pressing the Submit button when they might possibly have disappeared in a puff of electronic smoke.

I do feel 070 are an especially glaring example of a number allocation intended in advance for misuse but then so are 0871 and 0844 for that matter as they were only given those allocations to quite deliberately cause the mis-association with the once local rate and national rate (at least for customers making calls with BT) 0845 and 0870 codes.  OFTEL and Ofcom's game plan for the last 10+ years always seems to have been to create a telephone numbering system that creates the maximum possible scope for misselling to and total incomprehension by the UK citizen consumer.  Shocked Angry Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

Stoday

East Anglia
Reply #36 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 3:26am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:29am:
As to which Name Withheld I'm sure you would recognise your submission if you clicked Name Withheld enough times.  

I started. After reading 2 or 3 I decided I'd prefer waterboarding at Guantanamo.

Quote:
Also I would hope it is one of only four or five Name Withhelds opposing the Ofcom proposals

Of course it was. I had no idea there were so few in opposition. Oh dear!

Quote:
Is there any particular reason you don't post on the forum here more often?

I don't have anything to say!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #37 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:44am

This is an interesting one:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/070options/responses/VirginMediaLtd.pdf

Header: Confidential

Cover page:

CONFIDENTIALITY
What do you want Ofcom to keep confidential?

Nothing Name/contact details/job title
Whole response X
Organisation
Part of the response
If there is no separate annex, which parts?

And then, it appears that the document is published in its entirety!

Good old Ofcom - a wonderful waste of one hundred and thirty three million pounds.

I expect this response will disappear tomorrow, so if you want to read it, you need to be quick.
As predicted, this has now been removed!

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 8:48am

idb wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:44am:

As predicted, this has now been removed!

Yup, it has gone! Sad

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #39 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:31am

Statement issued today:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/070options/statement/

Looks like Ofcom has decided that everything is fine now. That's all right then.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Ofcom Ignores All 070 Consultation Responses
Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:42am

So its official then.

Responding to any Ofcom consultation is only a way of putting one's criticism of Ofcom's proposals on the public record but Ofcom never ever takes any notice whatsoever of consultation responses and instead always ploughs on utterly regardless with its original proposals in the consultation. Shocked Angry Smiley Smiley Smiley

It can of course however throw its own proposals in the dustbin or reverse them whenever it feels like it or it receives instructions from government ministers to do so. Angry Angry Angry

Yet they still have the nerve to say in their Statement on 070 that:-

Quote:
1.4 We consulted on our proposals on 15 October 2008. We have taken into account responses received as well as updated complaints data in finalising our analysis
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:44am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #41 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:05pm

kasg wrote on Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:31am:
Statement issued today:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/070options/statement/

Looks like Ofcom has decided that everything is fine now. That's all right then.

It clearly is not, however I would offer some advice to those who see this as an important area for campaigning activity.

The Ofcom policy is now set; it may be vigorously criticised, however it will not be changed in the near future.

It would seem to me that the focus should now be on public awareness. Firstly, to avoid the misunderstanding that 070 numbers are charged at the same rate as calls to mobiles. Secondly, the identified abusers with public reputations need to be exposed publicly.

Ofcom's reliance on raw complaints data is a classic example of the mis-application of the principles of consumerism. Consumerism relies on every participant in the market playing their part. It thereby totally ignores the situation of those who are scammed, misled or otherwise caused detriment but do not see the need, or are unaware of how, to make a formal complaint. The classic example of this is using monthly figures on the assumption that those who have sufffered, complained and found that nothing happens will continue to register new complaints every month whilst they continue to suffer.

Total success is rarely possible. Those who wish to make progress on this issue may consider trying to get media involvement. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:42am:
Responding to any Ofcom consultation is only a way of putting one's criticism of Ofcom's proposals on the public record but Ofcom never ever takes any notice whatsoever of consultation responses and instead always ploughs on utterly regardless with its original proposals in the consultation.

This is a fair point, which may be applied to any form of public "consultation". This is a device used by those who have the responsibility of setting policy to check for any howling errors and to prepare a defence against subsequent criticism. It is also a way of giving notice to those who will be required to comply with policy once it is implemented.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #42 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 1:45pm

Quote:
1.6 We have decided to impose a number of other measures which we consider more appropriate in light of the detriment that currently exists:

* support and monitor the current enforcement programme being carried out by PhonepayPlus. Since May 2008 PhonepayPlus has made 10 adjudications relating to 070 numbers with fines totalling £625,000 and this activity appears to have had a significant impact on 070 complaints;

* require originating communications providers to publish their tariffs for calls to 070 numbers more prominently and to make them easier to understand for consumers, thereby improving the level of pricing transparency associated with 070 numbers;...
I have never heard so much crap in my life.  They cant even effectively enforce GC14.2 with regards to ensuring OCPs make sure 08x prices are more prominent.

I cant take anymore of OfcoN.  They refuse to enforce their own regulations/conditions effectively.  They, most of the time, refuse to investigate/enforce any complaint ordinary consumers have.  However, when a "stakeholder" has a problem, they are all ears and investigate without hesitation.  They have a habit of doing u-turns on anything that might actually benefit ordinary consumers as soon as a "stakeholder" makes a complaint.

In my opinion, I have yet to see any evidence that OfcoN are "independent" regulators!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #43 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 4:07pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 27th, 2009 at 1:45pm:
In my opinion, I have yet to see any evidence that OfcoN are "independent" regulators!

They seem to suffer from precisely the same "jobs for the boys" syndrome that we are now seeing the appalling consequences of with the Financial Services Authority. Shocked Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge