Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Access by Visually Impaired Users (Read 3,791 times)
adrian.picton

Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Access by Visually Impaired Users
Mar 30th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Hi, this is my first post.

I would have been making use of your site for some time and would have registered and posted ages ago had it not been for the fact that your site poses a barrier to visually impaired people.

You see, I use a screen reader program with speech output. This is unable to read those screen capture things which require the user to type in a code that appears as an image.

Some sites, such as Microsoft Hotmail, allow you to listen to an audio version of the code, whilst others like Yahoo provide a means of making contact for visually impaired customers to register.

At the weekend, I finally remembered, when I had somebody sighted visiting me, to ask them to assist me registering with this Discussion Forum.

However, I am still unable to use the "Contact Us" facility to report number inaccuracies to you as this still requires me to type in a code, even when I am logged into the Discussion Forum.

I appreciate the need for this system to stop automated bots from registering multiple accounts. I also appreciate you are a small organisation run not-for-profit, but please could you investigate, as a matter of urgency, an alternative method for people like myself to register for the forum and to be able to use the contact facility.

Keeping this barrier in place is in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. It may be something that YaBB need to address.

Please do everything you can - I really love your site and am keen to participate.

Thanks.

#
Edited to aid readability ~ DaveM
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2009 at 9:31pm by DaveM »  
adrian.picton  
IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Access by Visually Impaired Users
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 5:03pm

It is unfortunate that there is not more integration between the main site and forum, such that a user logged into the forum (and suitably authorised to use the site - say after an enrolment period) can't post numbers without having to fill in the captcha. Looking at the latest version of the forum software (YaBB) it appears that they don't support audio captchas yet.

I'm not quite sure how the Disability Discrimination Act links to websites, but I can understand that the issues you raise may have put off other contributors. I'll send the forum admin a note to alert him to this thread and see if he wants to make a more formal response.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge