118800. (Read 53,549 times)
DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Re: 118800.
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:59pm

Just a few small points about going ex-directory by DE-REGISTERING your mobile number with these people.
  • If they don't already have your information, they obviously will have even more when you've given it to them.
  • They are a commercial enterprise so whatever they do will be financially driven.
  • What Guarantees do you have that they won't use pass your information on to others.
  • Whatever promises they make now will not be valid should the company later be sold on.
This seems like a very clever SCAM designed to collect people's data with no cost or effort involved. Just start a panic and wait for the flood of idiots volunteering their personal information.

This is the link to their website concerned with removing your details, passed to me by my other half (& numerous concerned followers of the Russell Watson website).

My recommendation is to keep tight hold of your data and if contacted by them to pass your details to anyone, just
SayNo
and deny everything !!

Keep your mobile number safe  -
SayNoTo

IP Logged

tadg

UK
Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:13pm

Good questions .. the ICO has in the past advised that a company could retain details in order that they suppressed communications/contact with an individual who may have asked the company to stop contacting the (say for marketing purposes).  However, there is a genuine case for say a battered wife/husband to insist that data are removed in order that a stalker/harasser cannot contact them ...... I believe that if the company refused, then a judge might force them to ......

However, this particular business model is fraught with data privacy compliance challenges. For example, and referring to your question about retaining number.  People change their mobile numbers regularly .. they take their business from one mobile company to another .. these companies recycle numbers .. sometimes as quickly as 6 months from an account/number being cancelled by a customer.  How will 118800 know this and keep their records up to date .. they can't and that is why we need a national and comprehensive  directory and directory enquiry service that is fit for purpose and based on transparency and opportunity of choice and control.

I would suggest that people contact the Information Commissioner and pose questions about this service and the basis on which a persons details have been entered and can be removed.

It is clear that the company has not conducted a proper privacy impact analysis

IP Logged

tadg

UK
Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:20pm

It is hugely important that people understand this is a private mobile enquiry database .... it is not the official OSIS national database and does not and is not entitled to, get information from the national database.

The service has been set up by venture capitalists who have invested £17.5 million the 118800 service ...... its all about profit ..

I agree .. don't give them your data .. instead refer matters to the  ICO, OFCOM and PhonePayPlus

IP Logged

tadg

UK
Reply #18 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:38pm

of course .. people could always contact the company's marketing director ..... here's some public data on her including her email address http://www.123people.co.uk/s/shona+forster

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #19 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:18pm

DaveM wrote on Jun 20th, 2009 at 1:59pm:
This seems like a very clever SCAM designed to collect people's data with no cost or effort involved.

On the contrary.  When you 'opt out' online, you merely enter your mobile number.  No name or address or any other details are required.

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove.html
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2009 at 7:19pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2009 at 11:07am

Whilst I fear that too much concern over the so-called "privacy" issues may serve to confuse and devalue more serious concerns over this topic, I cannot see how the ICO can be alleged to have confirmed that this service is not fundamentally in breach of the existing Privacy regulations.

Regulation 18 of the PECR 2003 states as follows:

Quote:
(1) This regulation applies in relation to a directory of subscribers, whether in printed or electronic form, which is made available to members of the public or a section of the public, including by means of a directory enquiry service.

(2) The personal data of an individual subscriber shall not be included in a directory unless that subscriber has, free of charge, been -

(a) informed by the collector of the personal data of the purposes of the directory in which his personal data are to be included

Use of the 118 prefix is a clear indication that this is a "directory enquiry service". It is also clearly acknowledged that the information was collected for use by specific persons, without any indication of it being used to provide the basis for such a service.

It should also be noted that the text message sent to advise of the enquiry would be a breach of regulation 22.

The problem may arise in the means of enforcement available to the ICO, which are known to be weak. In general it is found that the ICO can only warn of a breach and then take action following complaints. This is an important issue that appears to have been missed in the "Digital Britain" report, which fails to even mention the role of the ICO in consumer protection, whilst it wastes energy on a misplaced concern about the level of penalties available to Ofcom.

I have not been notified of my mobile number being included in this directory, nor have I asked for it to be excluded. Perhaps someone would like to spend a pound trying to contact me on it using information that I am happy to have publicly available. If successful, I would be able to start a complaint.

IP Logged

DesG

Reply #21 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 6:23pm

SCV, you can do a search for yourself on their website, that is how I found out that they did have my data.

I have a case ongoing with the ICO.

Complaint to Phonepay plus was just dismissed as 'not their problem gov' talk to the ICO.

Cheers, Des.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 12:13pm

DesG wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 6:23pm:
SCV, you can do a search for yourself on their website, that is how I found out that they did have my data.

Thanks for the tip. I have confirmed that they claim to have my number, however that does not of itself represent a breach of the PECR.

The critical issues are for determination by the Information Commissioner:

1. Is this a "directory enquiry service" and therefore subject to the provisions of regulation 18? Although the information is collected in an unusual way and numbers are not given out, it is referred to as a directory.

2. Does the SMS message sent fall within the definition of unsolicited "direct marketing" and therefore require explicit consent under regulation 22? The definition of "direct marketing" is very broad and must surely include an invitation to participate in a service for which the sender has already earned a fee.

Whilst in both cases the person may have had the opportunity to opt-out from their information being used for contact by specific organisations, a declaration of the purpose for which the information may be used is vital and is unlikely to have covered inclusion in a public directory.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:49pm

Further to my previous post, I can add some further comments following a conversation with a representative of the ICO.

The ICO has not as yet made any formal determination regarding the compliance of this service with the PECR. It has not however taken any action in respect of a breach.

Compliance with regulation 18 is suggested as being achieved by the fact that no information is given out without consent. There is however a wider issue involved as the regulation seeks to prevent information being held without consent, regardless of what procedures may be in place to prevent it from being revealed without consent. The regulation covers the holding, not the dissemination, of the information.

The vital principle of data protection that is being breached is that information which was provided for one purpose is being used for another. If enforcement of the relevant regulations is not seen to be effective then the whole process collapses, as the ICO is reliant on the public being aware of what is allowed, so that breaches will be reported, so that they can be dealt with.

I am told that the possibility of a breach of regulation 22 has not been considered as it is understood that contact is made only by telephone. Given that directory enquiry services are permitted to market their services (to callers) by calling those registered with the TPS, one may assume that they are compliant with regulation 21. 22 is however different as there is no implied consent by default. Furthermore, a text message that solicits activity involving expenditure in order for the service delivery to be completed is more likely to be regarded as "direct marketing" than a telephone call that does not.

I understand that the ICO is open to representations on these points. I personally see this as a case which requires important issues of principle to be clarified, rather than it representing a nuisance in itself (from the recipients perspective). Whether the service is useful and represents good value for money is a quite separate issue.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Hello, Joe from 118800.co.uk here.

Just to reassure you that we’ll never actually give out anyone’s personal details. When you search on 118800.co.uk, we’ll send an SMS message to the person you’re looking for, giving them your contacts details and it is then up to you if you wish to call them back or not.

In response to the popular belief that there is a deadline to opt out, this is incorrect. The viral email that has been circulating is incorrect in that there is no deadline, users can opt out at any time. Secondly, the belief that the numbers of children will be “given out” is also false. We have no children listed in our directory. All data is checked to ensure the individuals are adults.

Our service on 118 800 and 118800.co.uk was being tested in June. There are now developments we want to make to improve the service for our customers. But due to the high levels of enquiries we are getting, we are simply not able to complete the technical work required whilst the service is live. We are sorry for inconvenience and will be up and running again as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us using the feedback form on our site.

Thanks,

Joe
118800.co.uk

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 2:37pm

Following the previous post, I have a query.   If you have my details & someone wishes to contact me, you will send me a text, if I understand correctly.  However, apart from the fact that I have already given my mobile no to anyone I wish to have it (ie if they haven't got it it means I don't want them to have it!), if I am abroad, it will cost me to receive the text you would send and THAT I REALLY RESENT!   Can you tell me how you propose to avoid people incurring costs to receive said unwanted texts while abroad?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 2:58pm

118800 wrote on Jul 13th, 2009 at 2:32pm:

Secondly, the belief that the numbers of children will be “given out” is also false. We have no children listed in our directory. All data is checked to ensure the individuals are adults.

Joe
118800.co.uk

So, If a parent gives their child a mobile as a present and it will be registered in the adults name, how can you guarantee that no children are in your directory?

As I have registered my mobile number in the Telephone Preference Service, I would have thought this would be enough to stop your outfit from sending me a SMS requesting my number?

Barbara's point about being abroad is valid and look forward to your reply.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:03pm

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us using the feedback form on our site.

Thanks,

Joe
118800.co.uk

A bit difficult to do that as your site is down. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:04pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:21pm

{2} ... we’ll send an SMS message to the person you’re looking for ...

{3} ... giving them your contacts details ...

{1} ... listed in our directory ...

Thanks to Joe for the helpful post. This clarifies the position in respect of the PECR, as referred to in my earlier posting.

Thank you Joe ...

{1} ... for confirming that the data is held as a "directory" and therefore subject to the provisions of regulation 18. These require that every subscriber included must be informed of its purposes. The posting to this forum may have addressed this requirement in respect of a few, however Joe will need to send out his message more broadly to remain within the law.

{2} ... for confirming that contact is by SMS message and therefore subject to the provisions of regulation 22 - these require explicit consent. For direct marketing contact by telephone a failure to register the number with the Telephone Preference Service or the Corporate Telephone Preference Service is deemed to represent consent under the terms of regulation 21.

{3} ... for confirming that 118800 is not infallible. The purpose of the PECR is to prevent unauthorised information from being held, as procedures covering its release cannot be relied upon to be 100% effective. Joe meant to say "giving you their contact details". We are all liable to make mistakes and for this reason nobody can be trusted to protect unauthorised data.

IP Logged

tadg

UK
Reply #29 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 3:55pm

Silentcallsvictim has provided good analysis of the core data privacy issues - it is important that people refer their complaints to the ICO and to OFCOM.  You may also wish to contact the All Party Parliamentary Interest Group on Privacy and raise it at a cross government level  - http://privacyappg.org.uk/ .There is a need for an urgent review of the regulatory framework and efficacy of the regulators.

Here's another overview:
Ok, the service does NOT give out mobile numbers . ..... The company has provided a facility so people can opt-out and become ex-directory.  It's OK says 118800 the service is privacy friendly ..

So what's wrong with all this?
Well, firstly, this directory enquiry (call completion) service sits outside of the regulatory framework for directories and directory enquiry services in the UK and which falls under the remit of OFCOM. Under that Framework, OFCOM has established a national directory database managed by BT and which is called OSIS. This is the OFFICIAL database and which also contains ex-directory numbers. ALL 118 providers that offer telephone numbers are entitled to access this database under the law/the regulatory framework. Mobile operators are obliged to pass subscriber information to OSIS BUT do so only where a customer has specifically requested that they want an entry in a directory or directory enquiry service - in other words where a customer has expressly opted-in. Both OFCOM and the EU (who were taking legal action against the UK government for failing to give mobile customers the right to an entry in directories) have agreed that entries in directories and directory enquiry services should be based on opt-in consent.

It is a fact that the 118800 service does not fall under any definitions of the above regulatory framework and so is NOT entitled to access OSIS data or receive data from OSIS or the mobile operators.

The 118800 service is a purely private system. Ask yourself why someone should need to become ex-directory in this service if they are already ex-directory in the national OSIS database?  How many times should someone need to opt-out (never because it should be opt-in)

So what else is wrong. Well, firstly lets look at the 15 million names, addresses and numbers obtained from third parties (and which could be the retailer you bought your phone from or some online retailer who you supplied your details to). 2 pieces of law apply here.
(1) Data Protection Act 1998 - the DPA. Under the DPA those collecting your data would have needed to make you aware in a transparent and clear manner of the intention to place your details in a directory service and the purposes of that directory, and allowed you to make and informed decision as to whether you agreed or not .. in other words they needed your consent. (2) Regulation 18 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 applies - the PECRs. Reg 18 states: The personal data of an individual subscriber shall not be included in a directory unless that subscriber has, free of charge, been -
(a) informed by the collector of the personal data of the purposes of the directory in which his personal data are to be included, and (b) given the opportunity to determine whether such of his personal data as are considered relevant by the producer of the directory should be included in the directory. “ This seems quite clear that the party collecting your data should have told you about the 118800 service and given you the clear opportunity to agree - either by an opt-in box or by an opt-out box (depending on whether they published a clear and prominent notice at the time they collected your data). It seems to me that opt-in consent is required for the purposes of this directory.

So what else. Well, the company says you can obtain a copy of information they hold on you pursuant to your rights under Section 7(1) of the DPA. 118800 now charges £5 (but used to charge the maximum £10 fee permitted under the DPA for meeting these access requests). BUT why are they charging people when Reg 18(5) of the PECRs requires directory operators to provide subscribers with the means (free of charge) to verify, correct or withdraw their data at any time - I can find no mention of these rights on the 118800 website. Perhaps the company thinks it doesn't need to if its services sit outside the regulatory framework?

What else? Oh yes. back to the regulatory framework. ALL 118 services are regulated by PhonePayPlus which is an agency of OFCOM the government telecoms and media regulator. PhonePayPlus regulates services by a Code of Practice - the Code. the 118800 service is incompatible with the Code which (a) defines telephone directories as ones that supply phone numbers (b) requires companies providing call completion services to disclose telephone numbers to persons who demand a number and (c) requires that services must not or must not be likely to result in any unreasonable invasion of privacy. As opt-in consent has not been sought from any person in the 118800 directory, it is possible that individuals listed in the directory without their knowledge or agreement will consider contact via the call completion service to amount to an unreasonable invasion of their privacy (especially those who considered they are already ex-directory under the official national OSIS database).  PP+ can exempt 118 providers from compliance with the code but has not done so yet!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge