Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Site redesign & rebranding (Read 41,950 times)
unknowndomain

UK
Site redesign & rebranding
Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:33am

This is only a proposal and has not been approved or reviewed by the site admin yet

I have been in contact with the site administrator, and it seems that as I suspected he is very busy and has not been able to give his full attention to the site, I have said that I would work on some site redesigns and logo re-branding, and I wanted to share my solutions so far with you guys and see what you think...

First for the logo, I have tried to keep the existing colour scheme and obviously the name is there still too, however I have explored the idea of using an icon to make the site more recognisable.

This is a few of the final logo's I produced...

As you can see they all use visual language to communicate the sites name, and the idea would be that only when your not on the site would you see the words say no to 0870 printed (with or without the logo).

It draws on the ideas of a speed sign, no smoking sign and a speech bubble to create what should be a quite easy to understand logo.

The logo lacks wording and is therefore reinforced by the title and url of the page but would only be used as an icon on the website, else where it would be used with type next to it stating the site name.

I then took a look at the site structure, its very cluttered, the advertising is not effective because it links to sites which advertise the opposite of what this site is about.

Better targeted adverts in fewer places but better placed will help the site pay for its running.

This is my proposal for the new decluttered home page...

As you can see everything is cleared away and there is a search box on the home page reducing the amount of clicks to get to information and making the site easier to use, also by default only one box is shown, by using smart processing in the background it will search for numbers if numbers are entered and companies if letters are entered.

You can see the redesigned favicon also...

It uses a square version of the icon which is better suited to the tiny 16x16 pixel image that a favicon is.

Another thing the site owner is keen to get done is the mobile versions, and with the recent announcment of a iPhone app its clear the site needs to provide such a option for all mobile users...

WAP versions will only allow searching and will have limited graphics to improve speed, only one graphic on the front page to brand it and then again a smaller graphic on the results.

Colour WAP phone:

B&W WAP phone:

WAP phone:

The iPhone version will be slightly different as it has a banner ad and would be formatted for the iPhone display but essentially the same.

As before these are only mock ups and have not been seen or approved by the site admin so things may change but I wanted to get some feedback from other users on the proposal.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Site redesign & rebranding
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:22am

Logo 5 but with a clean circular red border instead of the half-hearted speech bubble.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:47am

Could you explain why your message making these proposals does not fit on my normal screen.   All the other messages on this Forum fit perfectly well.    What have you changed?

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 11:01am

nothing has been changed its just that one of the images is a full screen mockup of the site so fitting a image of a whole browser inside another is not easy, there is no changes its just normal behavor or your computer to make scroll bars when things are too big and in this case they have to be to show the image.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:20pm

I quite like logo 5 as it is. I think the speech bubble gives the impression of discussion about the issues involved, perhaps?

However, I think the website looks too "Google". While I agree that it is good to be able to easily look for numbers etc., the home page is a bit too plain for my liking.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:43pm

I agree it looks too google but my housemates have said they really like the logo I know it may seem odd but sometimes in design you have to ignore the critasisms... The reason I say this is because some people will like it others not. We need to canvas more opinion but the speech bubble communicates the idea of speech against 0870

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:56pm

Not that I know anything about web designs, but would a coloured back ground look better, rather than the white?

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:14pm

One of the mAin issues is the yellow background and it's actually a slightly off white but if you suggest a colour I will have a go. It's about making it better for everyone. Not just me.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 3:38pm

As I said I am not an expert on this by any means, but when I look at various sites the ones that are bold look more inviting to me. I am not suggesting a deep colour
but how about this colour just as an example?
or maybe this one?
. Just a couple of  ideas but perhaps it is not practical.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 3:40pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

catj

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 7:34pm

The current homepage is certainly too cluttered, and the navigation leading to both search and forums is not as obvious as it should be.

The Google ads at the top of the homepage and top of the search page are too intrusive.  They would be better off at the bottom.

I don't have a problem with having two search boxes, one for names (which might include digits), the other purely for phone numbers.

On the search results screen, I do think the 03 numbers should have their own column, as they are not treated the same as 01/02 numbers as far as "local" calls go.

In the navigation bar located above all pages of the forum, "search" should say "forum search". Add another link for "number search".

If the root page of the site is going to hold the "number search" function, make sure you set up a redirect from "/search.php" to "www.saynoto0870.com/" to preserve the functionality of all inbound links from other sites.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 7:41pm by catj »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:24pm

catj wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 7:34pm:
On the search results screen, I do think the 03 numbers should have their own column, as they are not treated the same as 01/02 numbers as far as "local" calls go.

Why aren't they treated the same? I thought they were.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:43pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:31pm

sherbert wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 8:24pm:
catj wrote on Jun 29th, 2009 at 7:34pm:

Why aren't they treated the same? I thought they were.

To be fair, 01/02 numbers aren't local calls anyway. 01/02/03 should all be charged at the same cost.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 9:14pm

I think that the blurb (or an amended version) on the homepage could be moved to an 'about' page. In the early days of the site it was probably relevant because people didn't know about the topic.

But now people do and get directed here by others, possibly after getting a nasty surprise in their telephone bill.

So yes, the search box should be on the homepage, and the current search url should redirect to the new location.

IP Logged

unknowndomain

UK
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 10:42pm

Hey all this us some great work nice feedback. We will be working o. The mobile portal first then the main site so plenty of time for input.

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 1:01am

One issue that demands serious consideration, especially if a re-launch (or something approaching it) is being reconsidered, is the name.

Ofcom proposals regarding 0870 come into effect on 1 August. It is highly likely that BT will revise its tariffs to charge for calls to 0870 numbers at the same rate as calls to geographic numbers. others may follow. BT has already anticipated this change by including 0870 calls in packages.

We do not yet know how widespread the changes will be, however a sizeable number of revenue sharing beneficiaries have already changed to 0871, 0844 etc. in anticipation of this change.

0870 used to be the most clearly recognisable point of the revenue sharing rip-off, however, partly due to the campaign associated with the site, that problem has been seen to have been addressed, although we do not yet know how effectively.

I would strongly advise that careful consideration be given to the focus of the site, in the light of these developments, before investing too much effort in a brand name that may not have the value that it once did.

The historic connection with "saynoto0870" must not be lost, however it is important that the site does not become seen to be irrelevant.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge