Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Site redesign & rebranding (Read 41,955 times)
unknowndomain

UK
Re: Site redesign & rebranding
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 1:04am

my opinion is to say as it is, me and my house mates spent a long time mulling a new name and got no where, thats 4 of us over 2/3 weeks

unknowndomain  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 2:01am

unknowndomain wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 1:04am:
my opinion is to say as it is, me and my house mates spent a long time mulling a new name and got no where, thats 4 of us over 2/3 weeks

Others have done the same, with similar results. The question to be addressed is not about whether an obviously better name can be found (in the present situation) but to consider, or perhaps wait and see, how the present name will appear after the changes that will start to occur in August.

If there arises a public perception that "the 0870 problem" has been solved (which already exists to some degree following the BT move in January) then a re-launch under the present name, which ties all revenue sharing to one code, could be very difficult. If such a perception were to emerge then a relaunch with a new name would help to draw attention to the fact that the revenue sharing rip-off continues regardless.

Do not be surprised to find the phrase "say no to 0870" used in some form in headlines around the beginning of August when the tariff changes are announced. This will convey the message that customers of some telcos have no need to use the site.

With all due respect to the fine minds that have been heavily and intensively engaged on the problem of thinking of an alternative name, I urge all those with an appreciation of the commercial and marketing aspects of this issue to give some consideration to what may be required in the months to come.

Noting that BT will be removing the surcharge on 0870 calls for all of its customers (and others may well do the same), one may wish to consider how a relaunch of "saynoto0870" would appear in the context of items such as the January press release from BT - BT £24M giveaway helps 14m customers say no to 0870.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:20am

Quote:
Quote:
On the search results screen, I do think the 03 numbers should have their own column, as they are not treated the same as 01/02 numbers as far as "local" calls go.
Why aren't they treated the same? I thought they were.

For a package with 'free local calls' the 03 numbers will never be free, even when calling an 03 number for an establishment just down the road.

[Very odd. I posted this last night, but I don't see it today so I have reposted.]

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:25am

catj wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:20am:
For a package with 'free local calls' the 03 numbers will never be free, even when calling an 03 number for an establishment just down the road.

Never say "never". This issue is being addressed.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:56pm

I like the ideas of the square(r) favicon and retaining the very strong concept of questioning / discussing which arises from the speech bubble.

I have been (am) out of touch with the developments that SCV mentions and hope that time until August this will give us a chance to add in further ideas .

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 2:16pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 1:01am:
One issue that demands serious consideration, especially if a re-launch (or something approaching it) is being reconsidered, is the name.

[…]

0870 used to be the most clearly recognisable point of the revenue sharing rip-off, however, partly due to the campaign associated with the site, that problem has been seen to have been addressed, although we do not yet know how effectively.

I would strongly advise that careful consideration be given to the focus of the site, in the light of these developments, before investing too much effort in a brand name that may not have the value that it once did.

The historic connection with "saynoto0870" must not be lost, however it is important that the site does not become seen to be irrelevant.

I think that, on balance, the name should stay as it is at the moment. The reputation of 0870 numbers have been tarnished by Saynoto0870 and we can see this in the fact that these numbers are now not being adopted in the way they once were.

0844 and 0845 are now the new 0870. Some have chosen to go with 0871.

The fact that the site is called "Saynoto0870" does not mean that people don't associate it with alternatives for other rip-off numbers beginning 0844, 0845 and 0871. For this reason, I feel that the name is widely recognised as being against all these numbers.

catj wrote on Jul 1st, 2009 at 3:20am:
Quote:
Quote:
On the search results screen, I do think the 03 numbers should have their own column, as they are not treated the same as 01/02 numbers as far as "local" calls go.
Why aren't they treated the same? I thought they were.

[Very odd. I posted this last night, but I don't see it today so I have reposted.]

Your posting is still there and is on the first page of this thread.

Where packages offer free calls to local geographical numbers - which to my knowledge, is currently, only for some TalkTalk customers and those in Hull and Beverley whose incumbent provider is KC - users of this site will have to decide whether a given alternative is a within the scope of being local anyway.

So for any one individual, many 01/02 alternative numbers will not be local anyway.

It's worth emphasising that local and national calls cost the same with the vast majority of telephone tariffs anyway, and hence 03 numbers do. Those that have local calls charged at lower rates than national geographical and 03 calls are in the minority.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #21 - Jul 5th, 2009 at 7:42pm

I recognise that I am in a minority, however I have serious concerns about the way in which the 0870 prefix is seen as emblematic of the issue that this site is seeking to address.

I do hope that those who are planning the marketing aspects of the re-branding exercise, rather than just the technical and design issues, are ready to deal with what will happen when BT and some others say no to 0870 (as a premium rate number) in August.

Some may think it acceptable for the Prime Minister to say that he meant zero point seven percent when he said zero percent, as it is for us to say that we mean 0844, 0845 (although with exceptions), 0871, 0872 and 0800 from mobiles and 03 (in certain very specific circumstances) when we say 0870.

Yes, this is problem of success; but that does not stop it being a problem. No, I have no alternative name to propose; but that alone does not mean that the issue does not need to be addressed. Let us wait to see if the logo of a number with a red line through it becomes part of the BT marketing - maybe BT would like to buy the site! This could be a great commercial opportunity; it may even be the big idea behind the rebranding and redesign.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 3:19pm

An issue of some concern is the way that the forum is increasingly attracting postings from those with a commercial interest in the telecoms business. Many of them are allying themselves with the objectives of the site.

We are obviously happy to entertain all opinions and we cannot avoid discussing the merits and demerits of particular commercial offerings in their proper place. I am however unhappy when a particular business seeks to ally itself with the cause that the site promotes and thereby seek to promote itself.

As this thread is on the topic of branding, I feel that is is fair to question whether, as forum members with no commercial axe to grind, we are content for the SayNoTo0870 brand to become associated with commercial brands.

Furthermore on the topic of branding, there may be concern that SayNoTo0870 is happy for callers to misuse geographic numbers published for one clearly defined purpose as alternative to non-geographic numbers published for a different defined purpose. It has been reported that a service on a geographic number had to be withdrawn because of the level of abuse, some of which may have arisen from its publication as an alternative in the SayNo database. One could argue that we are fighting a war and therefore all is fair. Others would suggest that we are seeking to persuade, and improper action may reduce the chances of our reasonable arguments being granted a hearing.

I make these points having somewhat reluctantly, and perhaps improperly, risen to a challenge to defend SayNoTo0870 in the media recently. If the "brand" should become further tainted, this is something that I would not be prepared to do.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 4:50pm

I really do not understand the point about "misuse" of a geographical number, in my opinion, the only "misuse" is of 084 & 087 numbers and if anyone can find a geographical alternative to these which can help others avoid being ripped off, I am totally in favour and I hope others are now actively seeking another alternative to be used!  The only recent reference I can think of where a number has been withdrawn is on the thread about HMRC etc, the ONLY misuse involved is the failure by this lot to remember they are PUBLIC SERVANTS and a government which is prepared, effectively, to charge its citizens twice for a public services (ie rob) - via taxation and premium rate telephone nos.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2009 at 6:45pm

Thank you Barbara. This is exactly the type of debate that I hoped to stimulate. I hope you do understand the point I was making but disagree with the view that I express. I see use of a number declared as being for use by overseas callers for a domestic call to HMRC as misuse, however I also see use of revenue sharing numbers to save the taxpayer a penny or two at the expense of service users as misuse. I hope that others will contribute to a discussion that will help to establish where members stand on this point, so that I know clearly how to behave if called upon to represent their views in future.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:21am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 5th, 2009 at 6:45pm:
… I see use of a number declared as being for use by overseas callers for a domestic call to HMRC as misuse …

And what criteria do they use to determine that you are overseas? Let me guess, a UK CLI. As has been mentioned elsewhere on here, VoIP services are available with incoming UK 01/02/03 numbers, hence they might look like the call is coming from the UK.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 8:39am

Dave wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 5:21am:
And what criteria do they use to determine that you are overseas?
In relation to the particular example of misuse being addressed here, I understand that some callers have been asked.

The point I raised was however only about the respective intentions, not about issues of enforcement relating to a particular example. The question of misuse is answered by whether the caller believes that they satisfy the specified criteria, not whether they think that a failure to meet the criteria could perhaps not be detected.

This, admittedly light-hearted, comment from a moderator does serve to imply that SayNoTo0870 is content for callers to misuse numbers if they can perhaps hope to be able to get away with it.

It is not for me to dictate what is right and wrong for the site, or what are legitimate campaign tactics. We all have different and perfectly valid views. I simply believe that we should all know where we stand on these issues, and establish what approach "the SayNoTo0870 brand" represents, in very general terms.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:39am

Sorry, SCV, I disagree with you aboslutely, fundamentally, totally.  I see no "misuse" whatsoever in using a "from abroad" line if the called organisation is immoral enough to charge a premium rate (indeed, my husband is doing this to another organisation on my behalf as I type!).  I consider any and every means of evading a premium rate tel no for whatever organisation is totally reasonable and, indeed, admirable, particularly if the means of evasion is posted to help others.  In my view, there is NEVER any justification for using any form of 087 or 084 number (090 for non-essentials such as silly competition lines and as people understand fully the implications and as it can be blocked is a different matter and, in my view, the only justifiable extra cost number).   The fact that some landline providers now include 0870 & 0845 in packages is totally irrelevant and just designed to confuse.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 10:15am

Thank you Barbara, these are the issues that I wanted us to bring out. You state the points on which we disagree very clearly.

Barbara wrote on Aug 6th, 2009 at 9:39am:
... I see no "misuse" whatsoever in using a "from abroad" line if the called organisation is immoral enough to charge a premium rate
... I consider any and every means of evading a premium rate tel no for whatever organisation is totally reasonable and, indeed, admirable, particularly if the means of evasion is posted to help others.
... there is NEVER any justification for using any form of 087 or 084 number

I hope that other members will state their positions here with equal clarity, so that some idea of the position of the SayNoTo0870 brand can be established.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #29 - Aug 6th, 2009 at 12:03pm

There is one further question and that is what do we term as "abuse" or "misuse" of geographical numbers given as alternatives?

The issue is being raised following the reports from people who called a geographical number listed in the database as being suitable for HMRC's child tax credit enquiries. These citizens were subject to an interrogation of their details before being told off for calling. A few weeks later, the number was discontinued.

We assume that the number has been changed, thereby causing inconvenience to legitimate "non-abusers" who will have to spend time seeking the new number. The pragmatic way forward would have been for them to request that we remove the geographical number in question from our listings. By responding in the way they did, it would appear that we are indeed at war.

A few years ago there was a number listed for the DVLA that was being bombarded. A request was made to remove it from SAYNOTO0870.COM which we did. This also shows the discontent at the use of these covert premium numbers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge