Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HMRC - Child Tax Credit Helpline woes (Read 109,795 times)
pansa90

HMRC - Child Tax Credit Helpline woes
Jul 6th, 2009 at 8:06pm

Hi All
Just used the site and called the HMRC TAx Credit helpline. After taking my details the operator advised that i had called on an international number and that he would not proceed with the call . He said people are using that number to circumvent the system  Huh.

My repeated attempts to even give  me a number/dept to whom i could write and  complain drew a blank. According to him its not a complaint as I was in the wrong !!!!!!

Have been trying the 0845 number and it keeps getting cut off as too many people are calling them

A Big boo hoo to them
SP

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: HMRC - Child Tax Credit Helpline woes
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2009 at 8:14pm

Write to your MP about this. They are getting more and more complaints from constituents.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2009 at 9:19pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:14am

pansa90 wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 8:06pm:
Hi All

Just used the site and called the HMRC Tax Credit helpline. After taking my details, the operator advised that I had called on an international number and that he would not proceed with the call . He said people are using that number to circumvent the system  Huh.
SP

Did you preface your call with the caller-ID blocking code? That way, the idiots on the other end have no knowledge where you are calling from - and if they ask, just lie. Say 'France' or something!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:37am

mikeinnc wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:14am:
Did you preface your call with the caller-ID blocking code? That way, the idiots on the other end have no knowledge where you are calling from - and if they ask, just lie. Say 'France' or something!

I hope the re-branding team have picked up on the fact that some see saynoto0870.com as being for use by burkha-wearing, queue-jumping liars to call idiots. Is this an impression to be encouraged or dispelled?

(By the way, whilst a number may be withheld, the location of the call may not)
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:40am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2009 at 9:43am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:37am:
mikeinnc wrote on Jul 7th, 2009 at 8:14am:

I hope the re-branding team have picked up on the fact that some see saynoto0870.com as being for use by burkha-wearing, queue-jumping liars to call idiots. Is this an impression to be encouraged or dispelled?

(By the way, whilst a number may be withheld, the location of the call may not)

Sorry SCV, I do not understand.   What does "......for use by burkha-wearing, queue-jumping liars to call idiots." mean?

How is the location revealed if the number is witheld?

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

biggerkev

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:24pm

pansa90 wrote on Jul 6th, 2009 at 8:06pm:
Hi All
Just used the site and called the HMRC TAx Credit helpline. After taking my details the operator advised that i had called on an international number and that he would not proceed with the call . He said people are using that number to circumvent the system  Huh.

My repeated attempts to even give  me a number/dept to whom i could write and  complain drew a blank. According to him its not a complaint as I was in the wrong !!!!!!

Have been trying the 0845 number and it keeps getting cut off as too many people are calling them

A Big boo hoo to them
SP

I have just rang the HMRC on an alternate number to 0845 300 3900 which is 01253 503333 Preston office, after i was held for approx 4 mins the lady took my details and then informed me rather abruptly that now she had my details it was noted that i had dialled through on a number that I shouldn't be using, I told her that I will not phone a 0845 number, she then said "it would be noted on my records that if I use that number again my call would be terminated".

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:59pm

biggerkev wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 4:24pm:
I have just rang the HMRC on an alternate number to 0845 300 3900 which is 01253 503333 Preston office, after i was held for approx 4 mins the lady took my details and then informed me rather abruptly that now she had my details it was noted that i had dialled through on a number that I shouldn't be using, I told her that I will not phone a 0845 number, she then said "it would be noted on my records that if I use that number again my call would be terminated".
This is insane. Presumably the determination that you are not calling from an international location is based upon the CLI presentation. So, given that I live 4500 miles from the UK, and given that I can use a VOIP system which will present a UK number, one wonders whether I would get the same treatement, ie being told that I am not an international caller, purely on the basis of the CLIP. Perhaps I'll try it, although the absence of children probably negates the need to contact this body. I suppose that I could switch on the television or radio, and ask the operator to listen to the broadcast to try to establish that I really am calling from overseas. Insanity.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:19pm

Hi biggerkev,

Sorry to hear about thism but it is becoming more and more common for the state to treat citizens in this totally contemptuous manner.

May I suggest that you write to your MP about this, as well as local media. You can find out your MP's name by typing your post code into this page.

I have sent you a private message that you can read by clicking the "1 message" text just below the SAYNOTO0870.COM banner at the top of this page. Then click on the subject line to open up the message.

IP Logged

jen1104

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 7:33pm

I have just rang this number 01355 359007 and was asked what number i was ringing and why, I said that I have been ringing the 0845 number and was fed up of getting to the end of the message and being cut off only to be charged again every time this happens. She told me that in future I must ring the 0845 number as this is a priority number for overseas but she will however deal with my query (must have been the end of a good day as she was fairly pleasant too!) Is there any way a message can be put along side these number informing others? I have only used this site a couple of times and so don't know how/if that will be possible.

IP Logged

poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 10:37pm

I rang the 01355359007 number for child tax credits in Preston earlier this week, and had no problems whatsoever. Everything was dealt with in a perfectly normal manner, as has been the case each time I've used that number in the last 12 months.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2009 at 11:02pm

Less than three weeks later, 01253 503333 is now not recognised. Perhaps they got fed up of all the calls coming to it from people getting the number from this website. Oh well, I've removed it from the database so they can use it again without those pesky citizens ringing up on it.  Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2009 at 11:03pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2009 at 10:28am

It could be worthwhile for someone to have a friendly word with HMRC about this matter. There are two separate points at issue here.

HMRC clearly wants to have numbers dedicated to particular functions. SayNoTo0870 wants to offer those who visit its website geographic alternative numbers. The two are presently operating at cross purposes.

There is a wider issue about the type of numbers that HMRC and other public services use, which will not be resolved swiftly. Putting that aside for the moment, could not a Sayno member approach HMRC to ask for some suitable alternatives that could be published in the database to help prevent misuse of published geographic numbers that is clearly causing a problem and forcing HMRC to withdraw services that are being abused. Such an approach would also help protect the reputation of Sayno, which probably presently stands accused of encouraging misuse of published numbers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2009 at 9:02pm

Source: Mail on Sunday

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208437/Tax-credits-boss-orders-Keep-cal...

Tax credits boss orders: Keep callers on the line

By Simon McGee, Mail on Sunday Reporter
Last updated at 1:12 AM on 23rd August 2009

Tax officials have secretly changed the way they run one of their 0845 advice helplines – raising costs for many callers and potentially netting the Government millions of pounds.

The HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) tax credits helpline on 0845 300 3900 is used by low-income families to secure Working Tax Credits and Child Tax Credits.

Handling 23million calls a year, it has already attracted controversy for costing callers using mobile phones up to 40p a minute, which critics warn hits vulnerable people.

[…]

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2009 at 11:34pm

Dave wrote on Aug 23rd, 2009 at 9:02pm:
Tax credits boss orders: Keep callers on the line

Excellant story - well briefed reporter.

The silly thing is that the HMRC do not "make" any more out of mobile callers over those paying nothing to call within their BT call plan. That is however not the point.

This well written piece demands follow-up - and will receive it.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009 at 12:54am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

sandradee

HM Revenue & Customs
Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2009 at 12:08am

I have called HM Revenue & Customs - Tax Credits - on 01355 359007 (0845 300 3900) a couple of times and had success in speaking to someone.  However, the last call I made - the (gentle?)man I spoke to got very angry and told me that I was not to ring on this number again.  If I did, the call would not be answered.  Can they do this?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge