Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HMRC - Child Tax Credit Helpline woes (Read 109,898 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: HM Revenue & Customs
Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2009 at 12:52pm

sandradee wrote on Nov 14th, 2009 at 12:08am:
I have called HM Revenue & Customs - Tax Credits - on 01355 359007 (0845 300 3900) a couple of times and had success in speaking to someone.  However, the last call I made - the (gentle?)man I spoke to got very angry and told me that I was not to ring on this number again.  If I did, the call would not be answered.  Can they do this?

Hi Sandra and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

I've joined your post on to a thread about the same thing. Others have had similar responses to calling HMRC's non-premium numbers.

IP Logged

bessiebunter

essex
argument with tax credit office- are they correct?
Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:21pm

Hello all

I called the alternative number for the tax credit office today and was told that I must not use that number to call them, and that they have put a note on my file to say that they will not accept my call if i use it again. I said I thought this wasn't legal and that they must provide me with an alternative but we got into an argument as she was adamant that she didnt have to do any such thing, and I had to call the 0845 number or nothing. Can you tell me if she is correct please?
I have used this number several times before without any problems.
Thank you in advance

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: argument with tax credit office- are they corr
Reply #17 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:23pm

Which alternative number?  Huh Huh
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:49pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

bessiebunter

essex
Reply #18 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:51pm

ah sorry, i called 01355 359007, which I had obtained from the site a while ago and stored in my phone. I have called it without trouble several times before  Undecided

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #19 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 4:59pm

bessiebunter wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 2:21pm:
I called the alternative number for the tax credit office today and was told that I must not use that number to call them, and that they have put a note on my file to say that they will not accept my call if i use it again. …

I have joined your posting to the existing thread where others have posted their experiences. They have been given similar responses where they have been "told off".

I suggest that all who are treated in this way write to their MPs. Complain about the cost of calling the "revenue sharing" 0845 numbers and the way in which calls are dealt with when they dare call the 01/02 numbers.

IP Logged

poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
Re: HMRC - Child Tax Credit Helpline woes
Reply #20 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 6:09pm

If this nonsense continues, should we not be encouraging people to ring at weekends and/or evenings, when calls to 0845 are free in most call packages? This means the Government will need more workers on weekend and evening shifts, probably at a higher price.

IP Logged

thc

Reply #21 - May 8th, 2010 at 11:23am

Just rang 01355359007 with no probs at all (it is Sat) went to answer phone first then to e helpfull wo
man who asked lots of stupid questions!!  But number works - straight through after hours waiting and getting cut off on the 0845

IP Logged

gr0mit

Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 2:41pm

OK, I had issues getting through to the TC line.  Here is my letter to my MP:

I recently had cause to ring the tax credit helpline on 0845 3003900.

Yesterday, I made several telephone calls, only to be told via a
recording that they were too busy, and please would I call back later.

Today, I rang several times, the last time I actually got through to a
queue, which then gave me engaged tone!

Each phone call to this 0845 number costs a significant amount of money
compared to calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers. Calls from mobiles to 0845
are specifically very expensive and are never included in call
bundles/allowances.  See
See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Hl1/help/dg_173539 for further details.

I went to the 'saynoto0870' website, looked up a listing for the Tax
Credit office, which has a geographic number of 01355 359007, and rang
this instead. I immediately got through to a very helpful person but
they asked if I was calling from the UK. When I said yes, I was calling
from the UK, they told me they could not discuss anything and told me to
ring the 0845 number.

This happened twice.  I then rang them back using a French VoIP service
which I have, so that the phone call appeared to be originating from
France. Without asking me to confirm my geographic location, they
immediately answered my questions and dealt with my case helpfully and
efficiently without further ado.

This kind of discrimination is staggering, and I would welcome your
comments on this.  Is it in fact legal for a government department to
discriminate based on the caller ID of the phone number I am calling
from, or my actual location?

On a more general note, I am particularly concerned about the constant
use by government departments of 084x numbers (especially those dealing
with the least well off in society), which are always revenue generating
for the telephone companies concerned, and frequently revenue generating
for the users of the number. In this case, HMRC, NHS etc.

I would be very grateful if you would do what you can in your new
position in goverment to mandate the use of geographic numbers in all
public-facing departments.

Where intelligent call routing is required, 03xx numbers are available
for this purpose (which have to be included in all call bundles, mobile
and fixed, by OFCOM mandate), so that there is never a need to use
expensive 08 numbers.  DVLA, OFCOM are already using 03xx numbers and I
see no reason why HMRC, NHS and others cannot do likewise.

Looking forward to hearing from you in due course

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 2:59pm

gr0mit wrote on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 2:41pm:
This happened twice.  I then rang them back using a French VoIP service
which I have, so that the phone call appeared to be originating from
France. Without asking me to confirm my geographic location, they
immediately answered my questions and dealt with my case helpfully and
efficiently without further ado.

This kind of discrimination is staggering, and I would welcome your
comments on this.  Is it in fact legal for a government department to
discriminate based on the caller ID of the phone number I am calling
from, or my actual location?
A very good point, similar to one I have made before within this forum. It is perfectly feasible for a call to be originated overseas through a VOIP facility that presents a UK number. Although I am based 4500 miles from the UK, I occasionally make use of a UK based VOIP provider, mainly to access 0800 calls. That provider presents a UK +44 20 number. Now, should I have any desire to call this helpline on its 'international' number, would my call be rejected simply based upon the CLI? What evidence would I have to give to demonstrate that I was not, in fact, within the 020 area? Perhaps turning on the TV or radio would suffice. Perhaps switch on a web cam and demonstrate an abundance of palm trees.

Once again we have an example of the abject failure of this system.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 3:48pm

I am pleased to have resolved some misunderstanding about the use of the "international numbers", although I am disappointed and furious at what I have learned. Harder minded friends are free to crow at my need to abandon my generous approach.

I today called "01355 359007". After waiting about 7 minutes I simply asked why this number was only made available to international callers. The helpful agent told me that some overseas callers were unable to dial the 0845 number. I asked if their special number was unavailable to UK callers because it perhaps offered priority to save international callers from waiting too long due to the exceptional expense they may be incurring, or if some different procedure may be involved. I was told that there was no such priority or special treatment offered.

The agent did kindly offer to deal with my enquiry on this one occasion, even though I had called the wrong number, but told me that this offer would never be made to me again. I thanked her, but confirmed that I had only called to ask a general question, which she had answered.

This sadly leaves us to conclude that the only reason for refusing UK calls on the geo numbers is to ensure the benefit of the revenue share. I had hoped that there may be a less wicked explanation, but this is now seen to be denied. I am now ready to launch an all out attack on HMRC for its transparent application of charges for access to benefits and other services.

(It is indeed a shame to be working on stuff like this on a summer's day.)

IP Logged

M3ntal

Reply #25 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:36pm

Hi all, i've just had cause to ring them about working tax credits and thought i'd report my experience and findings.  If you're not much of a reader and just want to get through to them on a geographic number, skip to the last sentence.

First of all i called 01355 359007, and was told to use the 0845 number as you have been.  I did so, and got through their menu system twice (options 4 and 5) to face an engaged tone both times.  I then decided i may as well try a few other numbers from here to see where they led me, as in the past i've had success getting incorrect departments to transfer me to the correct ones, whilst retaining my geographic call.  I tried 028 9053 8192 and found it took me through to the exact same menu system and engaged tones of the 0845 number.

I then googled a bit to see if anyone else was also getting engaged tones, if it was a consistent problem, and if anyone had found a way around it etc and was led to this thread.  I read everything here and had an idea; I called 01355 359007 again and in my friendliest tone explained to the person on the other end that i was calling from within the UK, and just wanted to know the best time to call the 0845 number.  He informed me that although the opening times are advertised as 8:00am - 8:00pm, the lines actually open at 7:45am and almost no-one calls during these 15 minutes before the advertised time (i realise i'm possibly changing that by posting here, but hey).

I thought i'd try 028 9053 8192 one last time anyway, and got through!

Me: "Can i just ask, is this the correct line for people within the UK?  I called a different number previously, and was told it was for international calls only."
HMRC Guy: "Yes, this is the correct number.  Can i take your National Insurance number?" ... etc.

Summary: Call 028 9053 8192 between 7:45am and 8:00am.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 2:31pm

M3ntal wrote on Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:36pm:
First of all i called 01355 359007, and was told to use the 0845 number as you have been.  I did so, and got through their menu system twice (options 4 and 5) to face an engaged tone both times.  I then decided i may as well try a few other numbers from here to see where they led me, as in the past i've had success getting incorrect departments to transfer me to the correct ones, whilst retaining my geographic call.  I tried 028 9053 8192 and found it took me through to the exact same menu system and engaged tones of the 0845 number.

Hi and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

I've just tried this a few times with various options and got through either to engaged tone or a message saying that they're busy and then the call is automatically terminated.

Remember that the busy tone you hear is chargeable as their system has answered the call.

Perhaps someone would like to investigate this further with a view to a news story. As well as the premium number, we have the calls that are terminated after selecting relevant options and the time to listen to the menus and associated call costs.

M3ntal wrote on Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:36pm:
I thought i'd try 028 9053 8192 one last time anyway, and got through!

I have updated the database to show this 028 number as the main alternative with a message beside it saying it's the same menu as is on the 0845 number. I've also put a note in red to say that 01355 359007 is reportedly for international callers and won't take calls from the UK.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #27 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 3:32pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 3rd, 2010 at 3:48pm:
... Harder minded friends are free to crow at my need to abandon my generous approach. ...  I am now ready to launch an all out attack on HMRC for its transparent application of charges for access to benefits and other services.

I acknowledge that some may ask when the all out attack will begin, but this will have to do from me for now.

IP Logged

M3ntal

Reply #28 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 2:20am

Dave wrote on Jun 7th, 2010 at 2:31pm:
Perhaps someone would like to investigate this further with a view to a news story. As well as the premium number, we have the calls that are terminated after selecting relevant options and the time to listen to the menus and associated call costs.

Maybe try BBC Watchdog?  I also tried to phone a few local jobcentres to get some advice, and whilst they all used to have geographic numbers which are still listed on most web directories (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=leeds+jobcentre+phone+number), they all seem to now lead to an automated message saying "This line is no longer in operation, please call 0845..." or something along those lines.  I tried 3 around my area (Leeds) and they all did this.  It's starting to look like a trend rather than being limited to the tax credits helpline.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #29 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 10:59am

M3ntal wrote on Jun 8th, 2010 at 2:20am:
… I also tried to phone a few local jobcentres to get some advice, and whilst they all used to have geographic numbers which are still listed on most web directories (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=leeds+jobcentre+phone+number), they all seem to now lead to an automated message saying "This line is no longer in operation, please call 0845..." or something along those lines.  I tried 3 around my area (Leeds) and they all did this.  It's starting to look like a trend rather than being limited to the tax credits helpline.

There is already lots of discussion on this forum on Jobcentre Plus' move to a central 0845 number for all its branches, including suggestions on how to get around this premium number.

The thread with guidance on finding an alternative is here where later on I noted that the 0845 number is operated by Balfour Beatty Workplace and suggested that site users might like to try calling its Watford office and asking to be put through. I would like feedback on this to be posted on that thread.

A thread on the move to the 0845 number is here.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2010 at 11:08am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge