Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"campaign" or "how can you help" section (Read 8,853 times)
jim.orrell

Sheffield
"campaign" or "how can you help" section
Jul 12th, 2009 at 12:14pm

As often as I can, whenever I try to find a geographic alternative for 0870/0845 etc, successful or not, I email the company concerned along the lines:

".......I don't know if you are aware but these numbers are very expensive to call via mobile phones, and like many others my home phone package gives me inclusive geographic numbers, but again 0870 numbers are relatively expensive. Do you have an alternative geographic numbers that I can use instead?

I note many reputable companies are either moving away from expensive 0845/0870 etc numbers to geographic numbers or at least offering an alternative".

I usually get a good response to my query, often with an alternative number.

It might be that I can't see it, but I can't find on the site a "campaign" or "how can you help" section. The more "valued customers" that complain, the more companies will move. This of course would only be one aspect of the campaign.

It would be nice to have a suggested letter/email.

Or are there better ways of campaigning?

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: "campaign" or "how can you help" section
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 5:46pm

I do something very similar Jim.    For example, whenever I speak to an organisation which uses 08 numbers, which I have bypassed by referring to this wonderful website or by my own resourcefulness, I always tell them at the end of my call that I have NOT been using any of their rip-off numbers and I suggest that they start publicising their geographic numbers which would improve their reputation with their client or customer base.  I sometimes write to organisations, such as charities, to say that I will not be contributing to their cause until they and their collecting agencies start using geographic or 03 numbers.

So I think your suggestion is a worthy one and perhaps advice on this matter should be provided somewhere on this site.    Meanwhile we should all play our small part in letting companies and public bodies know of our prference for normal geographic numbers and our objections to unjustified use of 08 numbers.

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 7:57pm

The question of a standard letter has been raised numerous times before. Providing such a text will mean organisations receiving many letters with the same wording.

Anyone can copy the text without actually supporting the arguments they are putting forward. For this reason, it has the propensity to negate the effect of such a campaign.

There are more and more public sector services moving away from 084 and 087 numbers (0845 in particular) in favour of 03 numbers and I hope that this shift will help promote our cause.

All services operating on 084 and 087 numbers charge their customers through telephone charges. In all cases, this process should be understood and these numbers should not be regarded as non-geographical substitutes for geographical numbers. This is the purpose of 03 numbers, something which 0845 numbers never have been, despite their former designation as "local rate".

Public sector services including police forces, councils and JobCentres impose administration charges directly on those who make contact rather than funding their contact helplines entirely from general taxation. This must be challenged as a matter of principle.

The difference between these and private sector bodies is that they are by and large free to impose and set charges in any way they see fit. At present, the overwhelming majority of banks, insurance companies and utility companies choose to charge in this way leaving consumers with no choice.

The position we find ourselves in is largely as a result of 084 and 087 numbers being considered and promoted as "normal" numbers. These are the corrupt foundations which the market for these numbers has been built on.

As I said above, the move to 03 numbers, largely by public sector, will increase consumer awareness of this rip-off and put pressure on the private sector to do the same.

Customers should inform companies they do business with that they consider their use of 084 and 087 numbers a rip-off. They might like to draw their attention to those organisations that have already made the switch (see our Hall of Fame).

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 1:58am

With comments that I wholly endorse, Dave is referring to a particular general campaigning strategy focused on the public sector, where the very principle of revenue sharing should be anathema. With its slogan of "free at the point of need", the NHS stands foremost as an area where success should be possible.

We most not however forget that there are members who believe that saving money for taxpayers, whilst requiring those who use certain public services to pay towards the cost of providing them, is a proper policy. Some believe that those who run, and / or set policy for, public services are in league with the telephone companies in seeking to perpetuate the "revenue sharing scam" and will therefore inevitably resist all normal campaigning methods for no other reason. There are also some who believe that those who cannot be bothered to look-up alternative numbers on this site are obviously content to pay extra and so the focus should only be on the discovery of geographic alternatives to be published here.

Some would say that only effective campaigning strategy is to "hit them in the pocket", by the threat of withholding custom. In the private sector this could put commercial pressure on companies to change, although I have never been told of an example where this has been effective. This would not however work in the public sector - the DWP, for example, would not be "hit in the pocket" if people refused to claim benefits because of the telephone number that they would have to call in the event of a query.

Some would be in favour of the general increase in customer prices or the reduced dividend to shareholders that would result from not taking revenue share on telephone calls. Equally, some would favour the increased public expenditure that would be required if revenue sharing were abolished in the public sector.

On the other hand, many members do not share broad campaign objectives, seeking only to obtain the cheapest deal on calls that they make themselves.

Others see use of revenue sharing numbers as a indicator of corruption, believing that the money involved is somehow different from other income at all points in its life. Any involvement in revenue sharing is seen as some sort of moral demerit for all those who have any part in it, from the newly appointed Secretary of State or Chief Executive down to the agent in a contracted call centre.

Until it formally states a position, SayNoTo0870 must represent all of these views (and others), not just one set of campaign objectives.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 6:41am

Further to my earlier posting which was largely a background briefing on revenue sharing, and SilentCallsVictim's consideration of the different campaign stances, which in itself shows why it is not possible to create a "one size fits all response", it is worth returning to the quote you posted in blue in your inaugural message on this forum about call costs and how they are more expensive than geographical calls. This is the resultant effect on service customers of the process of using revenue sharing telephone numbers.

These are all ways of challenging the use of these type of telephone numbers by a particular organisation. It's up to an individual whether they wish to mention one or more of these points in their correspondence to an organisation.

It is worth remembering that come 1 August, revenue sharing will cease and some telephone providers are likely to reduce their 0870 prices inline with geographical calls. This could be the reply you get in response to your statement that "0870 numbers are relatively expensive."

Which arguments are best put forward depends on the type of organisation being addressed as well as how it affects the customer.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:44am

Having been one of those in the past who has suggested some kind of letter on the site which could be used, I do take the point about different emphases for different kinds of no/organisation.  However, what would be extremely helpful would be some kind of bullet point summary of the facts regarding the various numbers, updated as things change (I know this would create some time pressure but it is is shame if those who take the trouble to campaign end up with a weakened argument because they were unaware of changes, that would be very counterproductive).   I find it very difficult to keep up to date with all the changes and their implications, some of them are quite technical, I know I would really apprciate some kind of summary of facts to use before I write a letter/email/make an angry call to an alternative number.  I do believe it is very important that everyone is quoting the same accurate facts.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:31am

Barbara wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:44am:
I would really apprciate some kind of summary of facts to use before I write a letter/email/make an angry call to an alternative number.

Very good suggestion.

I suugest that members who believe that they can contribute to this post the points that they believe to be important, after which a moderator could take responsibility for producing a summary of facts as suggested.

May I start the process by stating what I see as the essential point about all revenue sharing numbers.

All calls to revenue sharing numbers involve some transfer of money from the caller to the called. The exact amount is not necessarily clear as the way in which the two respective telcos profiteer, cross-subsidise or discount varies.

To take perhaps the most complex example, someone on the basic BT Unlimited Weekends package calls NHS Direct on a Sunday. The call charge is zero,  NHS Direct receives no income from the revenue share, it is all happening in the background. The package fee is set to cover a mixture of inclusive calls, which was recently increased as it now includes calls to 0845 numbers, on which BT Retail pays an enhanced termination fee (the shared revenue). NHS Direct has a sizeable contract with BT Global Services, which benefits from the enhanced termination fee on every call to 0845 4647. Despite simplistic boasts from both sides, the contract for a wide range of telephony services must include some consideration in respect of that income (estimated at around 1 million pounds per year) even if it is not specifically detailed anywhere (so as to protect both parties).

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Forum sections
Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 10:14am

I have moved posts on news on call providers (eg BT making 0870 inclusive) from the Geographical Chat section to the Call Providers section. The original purpose of Call Providers was to discuss "Cheap Call Providers", as it was called.

If there are getting too many threads in there, then perhaps it could be split up into a "Call Providers News" section and one for advice on which call provider(s) to use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge