Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221234? (Read 173,111 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221
Reply #90 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:59am

"Commuters checking whether Tube trains are on time are being "ripped off" by having to phone a premium rate number, it was claimed today.

A five-minute call to the Transport for London customer service line - relied upon by many to find out about problems on the Underground - costs up to £2 from a mobile phone.

London Liberal Democrat leader Caroline Pidgeon, who uncovered the higher rates, said the calls should be free or at least equal whether people are using a mobile or a landline."

Full story here: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23933897-tube-commuters-ripped-of...
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:00am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Questions to the Mayor on TfL's 0843 number
Reply #91 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:20pm

Some questions to the Mayor on the subject of TfL's covert premium rate 0843 number:

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=33630

New Transport Information Contact Centre number (1)
Question number      3552/2010
Meeting date      17/11/2010

Question by Caroline Pidgeon

(a) How much, per minute, does the new 0843 222 1234 cost customers, if calling both from a London number and a mobile phone?

(b) How much, per minute, did the old 020 7222 1234 cost customers, if calling both from a London number and a mobile phone?

Answer by Boris Johnson

The charge to call 0843 numbers varies according to the land line provider or mobile network – it is not location specific as such to a London number.

0843/0844 numbers are known as “lo call”. They are not "premium rate" numbers and are considerably cheaper.

From a BT landline the standard charge is 5 pence per minute. Costs from other land line network providers will vary depending on the tariff.

The cost to call from a mobile phone will vary from one mobile network operator to another and will also depend on the package, which are many and varied. For example, many mobile phone users have free minutes as part of their contracts. A typical mobile contract call will range from 20 pence per minute upwards, again depending on what mobile contract the user has.

Callers to the old 0207 number were also charged variable amounts depending on the package through landline network providers or mobile networks.

A typical 'pay as you go' mobile contract without 'inclusive' packages would have cost 20 pence per minute to call an 0207 number.

Our new service ensures that all customers can obtain accurate travel information far quicker than in the past. Up to 1 minute is being saved on the speed of the call, helping to save money on call times.

We advise our customers to check charges with their service provider before calling.

There is a wide number of free channels for travel information, including via our website, those to whom we syndicate information such as broadcasters and information at stations.

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=33631

New Transport Information Contact Centre number (2)
Question number      3553/2010
Meeting date      17/11/2010

Question by Caroline Pidgeon

What financial savings do you anticipate in your 2010/11 and 2011/12 budgets as a result of the switch from the 020 7 to 0845 number?

Answer by Boris Johnson

TfL is not moving to an 0845 number.

There are no savings attributed solely to the transition from 0207 to 0843, but the move, part of a wider programme to improve efficiency across our customer contact centres, allows TfL to deliver a better and faster service while also partially covering the costs of those improvements.

The change also substantially increases call handling capacity during times of disruption to help customers obtain information quickly rather than endure an engaged tone or long wait.

We advise our customers to check charges with their service provider before calling. There also remain a wide number of free channels for travel information, including via our website, those to whom we syndicate information such as broadcasters and information at stations.

A question was asked of the Mayor as to the number of calls the 0843 number has received:

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=34686

Some further questions:

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=36721

Telephone Numbers for TfL (1)
Question number      1987/2011
Meeting date      15/06/2011

Question by Tony Arbour

What is the level of rebate received by Transport for London for the use of its 0843 number for the Travel Information Service? What is the total amount of rebate that has been received since the service was introduced?

Answer by Boris Johnson

Transport for London receives a rebate of 1.5 pence per minute.

Since the 0843 number was introduced on 22 December 2009, Transport for London has received a total of £46,832.93 in rebate. This is used to pay part of the running costs of our travel information services.

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=36723

Telephone Numbers for TfL (3)
Question number      1989/2011
Meeting date      15/06/2011

Question by Tony Arbour

What is the average waiting time, before speaking directly to an adviser, on the Travel Information Service using the 0843 number? What was the average waiting time for the previous service using the 020 number?

Answer by Boris Johnson

TfL has changed its travel information number in order to meet the growth in demand and reduce waiting times for customers. With the added services we are able to provide on 0843 222 1234, the average speed of answer is 19.5 seconds.

The average waiting time for the 020 7222 1234 telephone number was 32 seconds, and was severely limited by capacity issues during periods of heavy demand. In many cases, customers simply obtained an engaged tone.

In case you're wondering where "Telephone Numbers for TfL (2)" has gone, it's here, just it's not been answered yet.

IP Logged

catj

Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221
Reply #92 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 9:31am

Quote:
here

Not any more!  Where's it gone now?

And, someone ought to put Boris right as he keeps incorrectly waffling on about "0207" numbers.  Fool!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Transport for London to switch to 0343 222 1234
Reply #93 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 2:54pm

Three years after Transport for London abandoned its 020 number in favour of 0843 222 1234, it is to change again. Callers to the 0843 number hear a message announcing that there is a new number which is "charged at local rates". The new number is 0343 222 1234.

There is also a programme to reduce the number of phone numbers for the different parts of the London public transport system. Other enquiries such as those for Oyster Card, buses and Underground are now being channelled through the 0843/0343 number; these used to have their own 0845 numbers, which are now answered the same as the 0843/0343 number.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221234?
Reply #94 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 8:33pm

That's excellent news but it doesn't seem to have reached the TfL website yet, which still lists the 0843 number. (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/4417.aspx and others)

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #95 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 6:05pm

kasg wrote on Mar 23rd, 2013 at 8:33pm:
That's excellent news but it doesn't seem to have reached the TfL website yet, which still lists the 0843 number. (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/4417.aspx and others)

I was about to say exactly the same thing... I have now saved TfL's "new" number into my phone so as not accidently call the 0843 number.  Smiley

edit: I have e-mailed TfL via their site, to ask when it will be updated.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2013 at 6:10pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #96 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 10:14am

Why not just change back to the 020 number?

That would mean incoming calls would be at no cost to TfL (whereas 0343 calls will cost them money).

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #97 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:32pm

Presumably the deal they had with the 0843 number (now 0343) provides additional facilities that they did not have with the 020 number (at least they sold it to the public on that basis when it was introduced). I don't know what sort of contract they would have had, but changing to 0343 should not have incurred any penalties, a point we keep making (to little avail) in connection with GPs using 0844 numbers.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #98 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:22pm

kasg wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 7:32pm:
Presumably the deal they had with the 0843 number (now 0343) provides additional facilities that they did not have with the 020 number (at least they sold it to the public on that basis when it was introduced). I don't know what sort of contract they would have had, but changing to 0343 should not have incurred any penalties, a point we keep making (to little avail) in connection with GPs using 0844 numbers.

I believe Heinz was pointing out that TfL will be charged a per call or per minute rate from it's number supplier as it's now using an 03 number as opposed to an 08 number, which it received revenue per minute.

I don't believe Heinz was suggesting TfL would have been penalised for changing the number.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #99 - Mar 28th, 2013 at 11:11am

CJT-80 wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:22pm:
I believe Heinz was pointing out that TfL will be charged a per call or per minute rate from it's number supplier as it's now using an 03 number as opposed to an 08 number, which it received revenue per minute.

I don't believe Heinz was suggesting TfL would have been penalised for changing the number.

Thanks - I realised all of that, I was merely suggesting possible reasons (other than, I suppose, loss of face) for not changing back to the 020 number.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #100 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 1:34pm

kasg wrote on Mar 28th, 2013 at 11:11am:
CJT-80 wrote on Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:22pm:

Thanks - I realised all of that, I was merely suggesting possible reasons (other than, I suppose, loss of face) for not changing back to the 020 number.

Apologies Heinz, I agree totally that it's most likely that TfL would loose face if they moved back to a 020 number.  I assume the "contract" connected to the 0843 number can now be amended and after a possibly large number of complaint's they have in some ways relented.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #101 - Apr 3rd, 2013 at 3:26pm

Further to my earlier post.

I recently contact TfL via it's online contact form, and "praised" them for changing their number from 0843 to 0343.

I pointed out that as far as I could see the new number does not appear on the TfL website.  This is the reply I got:
"Thank you for writing to me about our new 0343 222 1234 phone number.
I am glad that you are happy with this change. The new phone number is already on our website. Please visit www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/4417.aspx for our contacts page. However it will be released gradually to help manage demand.
Thank you once again for writing."

The link given takes you to the Useful Contacts page, and the 1st number given for TfL is STILL the 0843 number.

Those with eagle eye's will notice that it's not until you reach the Oyster Card Helpline that the new 0343 number is mentioned.

I did of course point this out in my reply.

I guess this is to "help manage demand"  Roll Eyes

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #102 - May 4th, 2013 at 4:26pm

I have just seen in the South London Press dated Fri.3rd May that there is 0343 222 1234 number for refunding money left on unused Oyster Cards also the deposit on unused Oyster Cards.

Within a few weeks this can be refunded from any Tube Station

I posted this on the sayno FOI Thread which Google found, before I realised that there was another relavant TFL thread here.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #103 - May 4th, 2013 at 6:35pm

It's good to see they are "Finally" advertising it..

Last time I checked the 0343 number was being given for TfL's main contact number via the link I showed previously.

Smiley

Edit:

However checking my online Oyster Account, it appears that they have NOT updated the contact number on their messages:
You do not currently have any incomplete journeys that are eligible for an online refund application. If there are further incomplete journeys that you think may be eligible for a refund, please contact the Oyster helpline on 0845 330 9876 (8am-8pm daily).

Lets hope they do soon!
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2013 at 6:42pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #104 - May 5th, 2013 at 12:31am

Apologies for late notification of the fact that this issue is covered by a fair telecoms campaign news release, in response to that of TfL on 26 March. No campaigner succeeding in securing media coverage of this issue (to my knowledge).

CJT-80 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2013 at 3:26pm:
Quote:
… it will be released gradually to help manage demand.

This indicates that there is either confusion about the question or deliberate malpractice going on, as TfL deals with 2 separate issues at the same time.

Firstly, it is engaged in a project to consolidate all customer service enquiries onto a single number. Secondly, that number has been migrated (in parallel) from 0843 to 0343.

The Oyster service, previously on a 0845 number, was the first to be transferred over. Other services, on 0845 and 020 numbers, will follow. The phasing of this may be fairly described as having the effect of managing demand for the main number.

For the services that have always been on the 222 1234 number, the situation is totally different. There is no need to manage demand between the 0843 and the 0343 versions of the same number, as it is met in exactly the same way. The only issue is one of cost. It makes a difference of around 5p per call minute (VAT inclusive) for TfL and generally more, often much more, than that for callers.

There is no justification whatsoever for continuing to aim to impose a Service Charge through continuing publication of the 0843 222 1234 number, which is now simply an expensive alternative for exactly the same service that is accessible via 0343 222 1234.

One may forgive a modest delay in updating material relating to the contact number for Oyster as this cannot be done until the transfer is seen to be complete and working. The out of date example quoted above does not however sound as though it is taken from old stock of printed material that was distributed before the change and not recalled.

If TfL is "managing its costs" by seeking to retain the benefit of a Service Charge it claims to have withdrawn, then this warrants serious attention.

It may be that confusion is a widespread problem for staff of TfL, a body run by the Mayor of London. I suspect that whoever wrote the line at the foot of the TfL media release, quoted below, is most seriously confused:

Quote:
Customers who dial the 0845 330 9876 telephone number for Oyster enquiries will go through on the new local call rate until the old number is discontinued

One could ask for a list of the telephone companies who are billing calls to 0845 370 9876 as if they were to a 0343 number, and calling it "local rate". It is suggested that all have signed up to this, however one generally finds that those who go to the trouble of making such arrangements are unable to secure agreements with 100% of call providers. (On sight of a most comprehensive list, I would happily withdraw my allegation about the author of the piece.)

As the point has been raised, one could ask how the arrangement will change when the number is "discontinued".  Wink

Having mentioned the Mayor, dare I say that confusion is often used deliberately to disguise a true position.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge