Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221234? (Read 172,868 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221
Reply #60 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:50pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:35pm:
sherbert wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:04pm:
Premium rate telephone numbers are not illegal, ...

They are now in the NHS (ibid)

Ok, I will re phrase that

Premium rate telephone numbers for TFL are not illegal, fare dodging is.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #61 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:13pm

sherbert wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:50pm:
Ok, I will re phrase that

There was no need, I was not seeking to take issue, the word "illegal" struck a chord.

What is happening in the forum; planning mass campaigns of organised civil disobedience? The anti-terrorist branch will be on to us soon. I suspect that they have the numbers of some of us anyway! Best to keep away from London Transport; for the safety of other passengers that is.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #62 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 12:18am

Hello, I have JUST noticed this thread, after a link provided by Dave from another TFL related thread.

I noticed sometime ago that TFL had started to introduce an 0843 number on their site: 0843 222 1234. Now only when you click the link on the same page does it take give you the 020 number (020 7222 1234) which incidently as previously stated has been around since the time of 01 numbers.

I submitted an online "complaint" : TFL are now using a 0843 number as listed on your website (www.tfl.gov.uk) to provide 24 HR travel info. Are TFL aware that if calling from a Mobile Telephone the charges are CONSIDERABLY more then calling the 020 number? The average is 20-30p per minute! Why are TFL changing the number, other than to make MORE money out of the users of their services? Surely as the 020 number has been in existance since LONG before 020 was around there is NO need to change it? ------------------

I reviced a few days later the following response: Thank you for your email.

I apologise for the delay in my response.

Some information on the new number can be found at the following link: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/13879.aspx

The voice-activated service will run alongside the existing call centre and will not replace it. Staffing levels are totally unaffected.

It is not possible to run the voice activated service on an 020 number and therefore a change is essential. Additionally, it is planned that the number will become a centralised number for Transport for London so that any department can be accessed through one number rather than the multiple number system we currently have.

I appreciate this change may negatively affect some callers but, in order to maintain the level of service we hope to provide, it was an essential change.

Additionally, I would like to point out that TfL will not make any profit from this number change and all revenue will go into maintaining and developing the system.

I hope this helps explain the situation.

Kind regards
------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting, however as has been pointed out here regarding NHS Dr's Surgeries, these facilities can be available with out the use of an 084 number.. even to the point of having an 03 number...

I have to be honest and say I did not respond, however seeing this thread, I may do so when I have more time..

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #63 - Mar 18th, 2010 at 2:01am

This is perhaps one of the tricky cases.

Public Transport in London is funded by Fare payers, Congestion Charge Payers, Council Tax Payers in the Boroughs and tax-payers in general through the Central Government grant to the GLA. (This is a little simplified.)

TfL should point out that a 03 number could have been chosen, which would have meant that the full cost of the new telephone system would have been carried by the above.

It should also point out that its decision to use a revenue sharing number, so that part of the cost of the new system is carried by callers, has a far more severe cost impact on most callers than the present rate charged by BT.

The misinformation is inexcusable. Picking out just one atypical rate to use as an example, indeed the only case where some callers do not suffer a premium charge, should be deemed to be deliberately misleading.

As for the policy decision to charge callers extra so as to fund a new system, if it was made openly and can be defended honestly, at a time of cutbacks in public spending it is not so easy to attack as many others. For the NHS, the DWP, HMRC and many other cases, I have no hesitation in saying that telephone services should never be subsidised by callers. In this case, I will unequivocally attack the way it is described, but I would be ready to consider any argument that was advanced to justify this service being treated in the same way as those subject to a fare, or other usage charge.

Politically I would argue for free public transport, funded by progressive taxation (not the regressive Congestion Charge), however even Ken never got that far for over-15s.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #64 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 2:14pm

Source: The London Assembly: Questions to the Mayor

http://mayor.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=31319

Quote:
Calls to TfL

Question number      1552/2010
Meeting date      19/05/2010

Question by Murad Qureshi

Why TFL have been allowed to change their travel information telephone number from an 0207 number which can be called from mobiles within the calling allowance to an 0843 number which is charged at a high rate per minute from mobiles? Why have you approved this change? Clearly this charge will benefit the mobile 'phone companies, but what benefit does it give to TfL or to passengers?

Answer by Boris Johnson

TfL has changed its travel information number to 0843 222 1234 in order to meet the growth in demand in a cost effective manner and, at the same time, improve customer service. The travel information number already handles 3.4m travel enquiries per year. The 0843 number gives customers the opportunity to use a voice-activated service to plan their journey, though they do always have the option of speaking to a customer service advisor if that is their preference. Unlike the previous service, no one calling the 0843 number should get an ‘engaged’ tone, meaning TfL can provide a better service at times of high demand, such as during serious disruption caused by adverse weather.

Mobile phone companies set their own tariffs which are subject to regulation by Ofcom. TfL does provide a wide range of travel information to customers at no charge, including the on-line TfL Journey Planner, posters and leaflets at stations, announcements by staff and through the media via the syndication of real-time travel information to broadcasters and others.

Eight months on after the launch and the 020 7222 1234 number is still answered just the same as 0843 222 1234! There is no warning of any impending change.

What's the situation in London? Has the number been changed on bus stops, underground stations and the like?

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #65 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 2:24pm

Dave wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 2:14pm:
Eight months on after the launch and the 020 7222 1234 number is still answered just the same as 0843 222 1234! There is no warning of any impending change.

What's the situation in London? Has the number been changed on bus stops, underground stations and the like?

Last time I was up there, they were advertising the NEW 084 number, just another stunt to grab money from the Public, I still use the 020 Number, because as TfL does NOT appreciate most people who call it do so from a mobile.

It just reminds me of Traveline who used to have a VERY memorable 0870 number, and switched to the more expensive 0871 number which I can now never remember!

I just hope something can be done to convince these companies to STOP using these numbers.  Sadly whist Ofcom (or Ofcon as I prefer to call them) allow these numbers to exist, there is little hope.

Sad

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #66 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 7:34pm

Val Shawcross, Chair of London Assembley's Transport Committee asked a question similar to that by Mr Qureshi above:

http://legacy.london.gov.uk/assembly/assemmtgs/2010/mqtjan27/minutes/written-ans...

Quote:
London Travel Information
Question No: 223 / 2010

Valerie Shawcross

I have been asked by a member of the public to ask the following question:

“I would like to know why TfL is moving from a local 020 7222 1234 number to a more expensive 0843 number for London Travel Information.

Most telecoms company call packages include 02x numbers for free, so this move will increase costs for everyone calling the service.

It is not right that council tax and fare paying customers will have to pay additionally for travel information through such a number.

This comes at a time when numbers for such agencies are being encouraged to move away from 08x to 03x numbers which are charged at a lower rate or are included in call packages.

This change will encourage those who are able to use internet and mobile internet services for information and will punish the most vulnerable who do not have access with high call charges.”

Answer from the Mayor:

TfL has changed its travel information number to 0843 222 1234 in order to meet the growth in demand in a cost effective manner and reduce waiting times for its customers. TfL's 0843 service gives customers the opportunity to use a voice-activated service to plan their journey, though they do always have the option of speaking to a customer service advisor. No one calling the 0843 number should get an ‘engaged’ tone, meaning TfL can provide a better service at times of high demand, the recent period of cold weather being a prime example.

TfL will not profit from the calls, although they do receive a share of the call cost to pay for the voice-activated service. From a BT landline, a call to 0843 222 1234 will cost no more than 5p per minute. Mobile phone companies set their own tariffs which are subject to regulation by Ofcom. As well as providing travel information free on its website and throughout the transport network itself such as at stations, TfL also provides a journey planning facility for a small cost via text message.

Ah, a premium is now levied so as to banish the engaged tone!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Reply #67 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 12:06pm

I have not read everything here.

Tried calling Oyster enquiries today via both the geographic numbers listed 020 7222 5600 and 020 7222 1234.

I was put into a queue said to be 6 minutes long whereas using the 0845 330 9876 advertised took me to a different automated system which was actually answered whilst I was going through the procedure of entering my own number.

Well done and thanks to those pursuing the GLA people. Maybe a way forward would be for one or several London GLA Electors to contact their GLA Councillors and asking them to take the case forward - that may have been done already, I do realise. I am not in the area/don't have time or energy/excuse!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #68 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 4:38pm

The 020 7222 1234 number is now proceeded with a message that it will be turned off and replaced by the 0843 number on 25 October.

There is the usual pricing information: "Calls will be charged at 5 pence per minute from a BT landline. Calls from other networks and mobile operators may vary."

Naturally, TfL chooses to promote BT's highly discounted call charges as if they are the norm.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #69 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 7:46pm

Dave wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 4:38pm:
The 020 7222 1234 number is now proceeded with a message that it will be turned off and replaced by the 0843 number on 25 October.

There is the usual pricing information: "Calls will be charged at 5 pence per minute from a BT landline. Calls from other networks and mobile operators may vary."

Naturally, TfL chooses to promote BT's highly discounted call charges as if they are the norm.  Roll Eyes

There goes me calling them ever again! Another rip off!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #70 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 7:49pm

Remember that TfL does have a WAP site: wap.tfl.gov.uk (or tflwap.gov.uk)

I can't vouch for its usefulness, but it's certainly worth a try to avoid the rip-off call charges.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #71 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 7:56pm

Dave wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 7:49pm:
Remember that TfL does have a WAP site: wap.tfl.gov.uk (or tflwap.gov.uk)

I can't vouch for its usefulness, but it's certainly worth a try to avoid the rip-off call charges.

I only ever called them for Taxi services in London, and up to the minute live travel info, such as delays!

The other rip off advertised is the number for Taxi's - One Number Taxi's http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/1136.aspx - Another 0871 number!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Transport for London discontinues 020 7222 1234
Reply #72 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 12:57pm

The travel information number for Greater London, (020) 7222 1234, which has been in service for many years has been switched off. Callers are now greated with a recorded message advising them of the number change to 0843 222 1234 and that call charges are 5 pence per minute from a BT landline and that calls from other networks and mobile operators "may vary".

Of course, people are going to ring this number from their mobile at up to 40 pence per minute.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2010 at 11:48am by Dave »  

IP Logged

samwsmith1

York
Re: Transport for London discontinues 020 7222 123
Reply #73 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:14am

Dave wrote on Oct 25th, 2010 at 12:57pm:
The travel information number for Greater London, (020) 7222 1234, which has been in service for many years has been switched off. Callers are now greated with a recorded message advising them of the number change to 0843 222 1234 and that call charges are 5 pence per minute from a BT landline and that calls from other networks and mobile operators "may vary".

Just checked and 020 7222 1200 gives the same message, and ** doesn't do anything either  Sad
Thankfully I don't need to call this but if I did I would be really annoyed!
Just looked at the WAP site mentioned (www.tflwap.gov.uk) and it seems to be a fairly basic quick to load site.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Transport for London discontinues 020 7222 123
Reply #74 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:53am

samwsmith1 wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:14am:
Dave wrote on Oct 25th, 2010 at 12:57pm:

Just checked and 020 7222 1200 gives the same message, and ** doesn't do anything either  Sad
Thankfully I don't need to call this but if I did I would be really annoyed!
Just looked at the WAP site mentioned (www.tflwap.gov.uk) and it seems to be a fairly basic quick to load site.

Hi samwsmith1, thanks for the feedback.

After I confirmed that the 7222 1234 number had been switched off yesterday, I found that 7222 1200 (which was previously giving status updates) allowed one to press * twice to be put through to a live agent.

This has now bitten the dust, so now we have no direct alternative for public transport information in Greater London.  Sad

I have also tried wap.tfl.gov.uk (same as tflwap.gov.uk) and it does seem very limited. There is no ability to plan a journey using only certain modes of transport as there is on the website.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:55am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge