Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221234? (Read 172,852 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221
Reply #45 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 7:34pm

Source: TfL

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/13879.aspx

Quote:
New telephone number

New Travel Information Call Centre number

From 21 December 2009 please call 0843 222 1234*

New, voice-activated service

The new number includes a voice-activated service that will deal with simple A to B journeys between stations, hospitals, major landmarks or points of interest within the London area.

If your journey's more complicated you can speak to a travel adviser

Benefits

* No more waiting to speak to someone
   * Get information easily and speedily
   * On the phone for less time
   * Travel advisers have more time for you if you do need them

Call charges

*You'll pay no more than 5p per minute if calling from a BT landline. Charges from mobiles or other landline providers may vary

If you call 020 7222 1234
In the meantime, you'll be transferred to the new number at no extra charge.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 7:34pm

You will never be charged extra when you are transferred. You only pay for the number you dial. This has been discussed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 7:35pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #47 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:04pm

020 7222 1234 is now busy.  Huh

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #48 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:12pm

Dave wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:04pm:
020 7222 1234 is now busy.  Huh

I got through just now, but further calls yield the engaged tone.  Huh
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:12pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #49 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 1:11am

Complaint submitted to TfL wrt internationally-originated calls.

Ridiculous.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 9:35am

This is interesting (not in a good way).  At the beginning of December, I sent a message to TfL by their website, asking quite simply was the rumour about tel no change true.  I had an immediate acknowledgement saying my enquiry had been passed to Customer Services.  Since then, I have heard NOTHING, in spite of numerous enquiries.   What an appalling way to treat customers, they KNOW the truth yet refuse to confirm it until the change has taken place.   As if it wasn't bad enough that you could no longer call a station direct (the only people who would be likely to know if the car park is full on weekdays), they refuse now to answer queries, they are determined to make a profit from customers who need to contact them, probably because of a communications failure by TFL (ie it's TfL's fault that the customer needs to contact them!) and they are now going to have a telephone system when you are going to be on hold forever to speak to a human!   I despair - public service in this country is DEAD.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #51 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 10:10am

I actually complained to TFL and Boris about another matter,  which I wont go into here, in September by emails. I received a stupid reply about a month later from TFL and am still waiting to hear from Boris!! Angry

IP Logged

catj

Reply #52 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:36am

The email you get back says:

...committed to responding to your query within 20 working days.

Two months later; still waiting.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #53 - Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:56pm

In my original posting on this thread I noted that there were differences between the 020 number and 0843 number. But now the 020 number is answered with the exact same menu options as the 0843 number. So the automated "Journey Planner" is now on the 020 number as well as the 0843 number.

The 020 number makes no mention of the change to the 0843 number. Are signs with the 020 number being replaced with ones with the new number on?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2009 at 12:58pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #54 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 4:31pm

idb wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 1:11am:
Complaint submitted to TfL wrt internationally-originated calls.

Ridiculous.
And the response:

We have made the change to the number to allow for increased capacity that is needed within the travel information service for both the existing service and the new additional automated service especially in times of increased demand such as the recent snow travel disruptions etc and other times of incidents. The 020 number will continue for a period of time (yet to be determined) in parallel to the new 0843 number.

Callers from outside the UK can call 0843 numbers and this has already proved to be the case including calls received onto the 0843 222 1234 from France, Spain, Ireland (this information has been confirmed by the number provider) however callers not able to use the service are normally prevented from doing so by the provider of the local telecoms service and its local capability and not by the number itself. Our provider has informed us of other customers who additionally have 0843 numbers and their customers that are able to call from countries including Canada, Holland, Ireland so we have been advised that the USA should be ok to call this number.

Callers from abroad can still continue to use the website Journey Planner service in order to plan journeys in advance which is of course free of charge

Long term we cannot continue to provide multiple numbers due to the fact that we would be unable to restrict those using 0207 simply to those callers from abroad and manage multiple numbers is more complex and costly

I hope this helps explain the situation.

Kind regards

Lee Hill

Customer Relations Officer
TfL Customer Relations

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #55 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 1:44pm

Quote:
We have made the change to the number to allow for increased capacity that is needed within the travel information service for both the existing service and the new additional automated service especially in times of increased demand such as the recent snow travel disruptions etc and other times of incidents. The 020 number will continue for a period of time (yet to be determined) in parallel to the new 0843 number.

No mention of using a 0843 number in order to levy a fee on service users. Roll Eyes

So with today's technology there's no way of increasing the capacity on the 020 number and therefore taxpayers must incur the cost of replacing this "old" number (replacing signs etc).

Quote:
Callers from outside the UK can call 0843 numbers and this has already proved to be the case including calls received onto the 0843 222 1234 from France, Spain, Ireland (this information has been confirmed by the number provider) however callers not able to use the service are normally prevented from doing so by the provider of the local telecoms service and its local capability and not by the number itself. Our provider has informed us of other customers who additionally have 0843 numbers and their customers that are able to call from countries including Canada, Holland, Ireland so we have been advised that the USA should be ok to call this number.

This sort of thinking is what is wrong with the world today. This may be true; there may be one or more telecommunications providers in each of these countries that allows UK 0843 numbers to be dialled.

But what about all those who do not. TfL's answer is to simply pass the buck to them; it's their fault.

Of course, for those who can connect to +44 843 numbers, the cost is likely to be astronomical.

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #56 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 3:49pm

Absolutely disgusted, especially considering the majority of users are probably out and about at the time, therefore paying 'significantly more' on their mobile.

No doubt the revenue is needed to fill the gap left by the Metronet brown envelopes.

I tell you what, any time we spend a pound planning a journey, lets recoup this by fare dodging.

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #57 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 3:56pm

With regards to the 'increased call volume' etc etc, I have used Journey Planner on an unquantifyable number of times due to the travelling involved in my job. I AM VERY VERY HAPPY WITH THE SERVICE AS IT IS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. If anybody cannot wait a short time to get the information they need, then offer the premium number to them only, and let them pay for it.

With regards to people calling from France, Spain, USA etc, can anybody find out what percentage of callers are from overseas, calling TFL for such information as the Number 1 bus to South Bermondsey?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #58 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:04pm

floella2 wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 3:49pm:
I tell you what, any time we spend a pound planning a journey, lets recoup this by fare dodging.

Premium rate telephone numbers are not illegal, fare dodging is.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #59 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 5:35pm

sherbert wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:04pm:
Premium rate telephone numbers are not illegal, ...

They are now in the NHS (ibid)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge