Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
0115 question? (Read 63,164 times)
catj

Re: 0115 question?
Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 12:00pm

That list fails to recognise all of the 5 digit area codes:

013873 - 015242 - 015394 - 015395 - 015396 - 016973 - 016974 - 016977 - 017683 - 017684 - 017687 - 019467

It also fails to separate the area code part from the local number part for Cardiff, Coventry, Portsmouth, Southampton, and all of Northern Ireland.

For example, the Belfast "area code" is not 02890; the correct designation is (028) 90.

Given the number "Belfast 9500 5500" dialling 02890 9500 5500, as hinted by the "area code list", connects to the wrong number.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 12:12pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:01pm:
Given the complexity of our numbering system ...

This is a fascinating topic in itself.

Does anyone have any views on the relevance to call charges?

IP Logged

catj

Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 8:23am

Finally, an accurate UK area code list:   http://www.telephonenumbers.co.uk/Geographic-Codes/i=2

I was beginning to think that there was no such thing anywhere online.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 11:19pm

Just a short "off topic" point..

In the links provided by catj, Mr N Stevens in his HUGE letter/feedback to Ofcom, notes Berwick to be Berwick-on-Tweed, however as far as I can see via Google it IS Berwick-upon-Tweed or simply Berwick.

I wonder where he got the other name from?

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

catj

Reply #19 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 8:50am

Ofcom have three current area code lists on their website (.txt, .pdf, .html). One says -upon- and the other two say -on- so it looks like even Ofcom can't agree with themselves.

I think BT used -on- many years ago. I also agree that -upon- is likely to be the correct one.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 9:48am

Indeed Berwick-upon-Tweed is correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2011 at 9:48am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 10:33am

Some place names use "on" and some use "upon". Hyphens are also used not always used. I generally refer to the OS for, what I assume to be, correct spellings.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #22 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 11:19am

catj wrote on Jul 30th, 2011 at 8:23am:
Finally, an accurate UK area code list:   http://www.telephonenumbers.co.uk/Geographic-Codes/i=2

I was beginning to think that there was no such thing anywhere online.

Handy - but it's still ridiculous that we should be lumbered with 3 (020 etc), 4 (0121 etc.) and 5 (01200 etc.) digit area codes.  

If North America can manage with 3 digits, why could the very-expensive Oftel/Ofcom not manage something like that?
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2011 at 11:20am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

catj

Reply #23 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:36pm

Quote:
It's still ridiculous that we should be lumbered with 3 (020 etc), 4 (0121 etc.) and 5 (01200 etc.) digit area codes. 

If North America can manage with 3 digits, why could the very-expensive Oftel/Ofcom not manage something like that?

The US uses three-digit area codes and seven digit subscriber numbers. This gives about eight million numbers per area code. In areas running out of numbers, a new area code is allocated covering part or all of the old code geographic area. These are the so-called "overlay" codes. New York has multiple area codes covering the same area. The end result is numbers within the same building having different area codes and a very confusing set of rules as to exactly what you need to dial to connect.

In the UK, subscriber number lengths are adjusted according to population density. Each area code originally covered roughly the same land area (with a number of exceptions in major cities and in the most remote rural areas), so areas with low population density have a longer area code and a shorter subscriber number.

UK telephone numbers originally had three or four digits in rural areas and four or five digits in towns. Over time these numbers have all grown longer. Nowadays it is common to see four, five or six digit subscriber numbers in rural areas, five or six digit subscriber numbers in towns, and seven or eight digit subscriber numbers in cities. Six, seven and eight digit subscriber numbers are the most common.

In order to have a consistent total number length, using longer subscriber numbers means having shorter area codes. Popular formats include 2+8, 3+7, 4+6 and 5+5, with a few places still using the shorter and older 4+5 or 5+4 formats (total length is one digit shorter).

Most towns have 790 000 numbers available (4+6), while a city might have 7 900 000 numbers (3+7). London and several others each have 79 000 000 numbers (2+8).

If the UK had stuck to using four digit area codes and six digit subscriber numbers, London would now have 27 area codes, almost one per borough. Birmingham and Manchester would each have seven area codes. Cardiff, Bristol and Reading would now be on their third area code.

A number of cities have a three digit area code and seven digit subscriber number. These include Glasgow, Bristol, Leicester, Manchester and others. If that system had continued in London, London would now have three area codes and be heading towards starting a fourth.

Instead, London now has a single area code, 020. London has a two digit area code and eight digit subscriber numbers. Northern Ireland uses the same system, but with the 028 area code.

At one time there was a plan to convert the whole country to that 2+8 format. The whole of South-East England would have used the 023 area code, the whole of Scotland perhaps 027, and the Midlands all under 024. There would have been a single area code for South-West England, and another for Northern England. The 029 area code would have covered the whole of Wales.

All that you would have been able to tell from the eight-digit subscriber number within your new area code was that it was somewhere within about 150 to 200 km of wherever you are. Further expansion of that system was abandoned some years ago, but not before Coventry and a few others had been lumbered with it.

The UK has a flexible system built using a (mostly) consistent ten-digit number length. In low population density areas, longer area codes are paired with shorter subscriber numbers. Conversely, in high population density areas, shorter area codes are paired with longer subscriber numbers.

This new system closely matched demand for numbers until Ofcom allowed up to 600 providers to each reserve 10 000 numbers (nowadays 1000 numbers) within each area code - but that's a whole other conversation.
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:39am by catj »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:52am

catj wrote on Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:36pm:
Quote:
It's still ridiculous that we should be lumbered with 3 (020 etc), 4 (0121 etc.) and 5 (01200 etc.) digit area codes.  

The US uses three-digit area codes and seven digit subscriber numbers. This gives about eight million numbers per area code. In areas running out of numbers, a new area code is allocated covering part or all of the old code geographic area. These are the so-called "overlay" codes. New York has multiple area codes covering the same area. The end result is numbers within the same building having different area codes and a very confusing set of rules as to exactly what you need to dial to connect.
I accept that overlays and splits can cause confusion, and lead to eleven digit mandatory dialing, however I do believe that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. Here, telephone numbering over a vast area is entirely consistent, which means that forms, databases and anything else that requires the input of a number are easier to implement. We also have significantly fewer area codes than the UK, even with greater area and population. These codes also fully integrate mobile numbering without the need for any additional codes. The Ofcom geographic numbering plan is a mess. It has had ample opportunity to create a modern framework for the UK, but has decided not to implement anything of benefit to the consumner. I vaguely recall reading that telephone numbers in the format XXX-XXXX are far easier for the average customer to remember than those in the London format XXXX-XXXX.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

ANDYTOO

Midlands
Reply #25 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 8:35pm

Hello Newbie here...looking forward to chatting with you at some time

usually followed by a 9, so 01159 for most of Nottingham City area.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #26 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:56pm

ANDYTOO wrote on Sep 5th, 2011 at 8:35pm:
...usually followed by a 9, so 01159 for most of Nottingham City area.

That will be (0115) 9xx xxxx.

Nottingham also uses (0115) 2xx xxxx, (0115) 7xx xxxx and (0115) 8xx xxxx.

All are under the single (0115) area code.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge