Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
03 Numbers and their use in conference calls? (Read 17,681 times)
nickimrie

03 Numbers and their use in conference calls?
Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:28pm

Hi,

I recently set up a conference call company called http://www.03TALK.com using the 03 number range (i believe we are the only company to do this so far in the UK). I hate the fact that conference calling tends to use 08....

I would like to gauge the forums thoughts on the use of 03 numbers?
Whether you think they are a good idea? 
Do you think they are right for conference calling?
(as you know calls have to be included in your bundled minutes - as long as you have them available).

The primary reason i set up the company was because i was tired of "free conference providers" saying they were FREE (when they clearly made money from call charges (which in my opinion are excessive when you use mobiles and special rate 08's)... so we set up 03TALK in a Freemium model (not based on call charges in anyway....

Anyway would love any form members thoughts on 03 numbers....

thanks,

Nick

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: 03 Numbers and their use in conference calls?
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:44pm

Nick,

Firstly welcome to SayNoTo0870.com, and well done!

Nice to see a company/individual making a sensible use of the 03 number range.

Also good to see you have 03 contact numbers to get in touch with the company! Even better!

Please keep us posted as to how things go for you.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

nickimrie

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:56pm

Thanks CJT.... we do practice what we preach Wink

really hope we get some good feedback on 03 number range (they are a bit frustrating at the moment) no telecoms company other than us use them commercially (as they are all happy to sting you on call charges) and some of the big users / adopters like Children In Need / Radio 1 (still persist in saying stuff like "standard call charges apply"... so its a touch frustrating to get over their benefits....

03TALK.com is going well though 2,000 users so far (if you have any thoughts on how to spread the good word would love to hear them) and if not i hope your forum members have some thoughts.

all the best,

Nick

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 9:03pm

nickimrie wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 8:56pm:
Thanks CJT.... we do practice what we preach Wink

really hope we get some good feedback on 03 number range (they are a bit frustrating at the moment) no telecoms company other than us use them commercially (as they are all happy to sting you on call charges) and some of the big users / adopters like Children In Need / Radio 1 (still persist in saying stuff like "standard call charges apply"... so its a touch frustrating to get over their benefits....

03TALK.com is going well though 2,000 users so far (if you have any thoughts on how to spread the good word would love to hear them) and if not i hope your forum members have some thoughts.

all the best,

Nick

Just wanted to pick up on a few things...

Re: Children in Need / Radio 1 - outside a call plan technically standard charges DO apply to an 03 number, though I prefer the term "Standard Geographic", as Local/National no longer really exists.

Re: The forum, it's not mine, I just happened to comment, but I am sure one of the Moderators (Dave usually) will say something soon.

Welcome along, and you seem to be doing well.

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

nickimrie

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 9:34pm

Thanks CJT...

sorry i should have made myself clear and would be happy if the industry stated that outside of CALL PLANS there are standard charges... sadly we seem to get a mix of only "standrd geo charges apply" clearly not the case if you are on a plan or worse still "calls from mobiles will vary"

Nick

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 10:04pm

nickimrie wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 9:34pm:
Thanks CJT...

sorry i should have made myself clear and would be happy if the industry stated that outside of CALL PLANS there are standard charges... sadly we seem to get a mix of only "standrd geo charges apply" clearly not the case if you are on a plan or worse still "calls from mobiles will vary"

Nick

Oh don't get me started on "calls from mobiles will vary" - it NEEDS to be clearer and better worded.

On a side note, I just realised (well someone pointed out) that if I call an 0871 number from my mobile @ 35p per minute, it works out at £21 an hour!

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 10:19pm

Well done Nick. I understand the termination rates on 03 calls provide you with just enough to fund the basic conference service without having to impose charges on callers.

I hope that you have already, or will be, making a positive contribution to the Ofcom consultation on NGCS. Notwithstanding a number of issues, this does contain a clear proposal to remove all of the confusion from the present situation, as addressed above.

IP Logged

nickimrie

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:54am

Hi SilentCalls,

definitely trying to be part of the Ofcom consulation. To be honest the whole situation is a real mess (no wonder the consumer is either a) up in arms b) confused c) switched off from the whole debacle...

Nick

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 4:06pm

It is great to see a company using these numbers. As a longtime member of the campaign, I have always believed that we needed a geographically-charged non-geographic number range. I'm just glad that they didn't call it that because it's quite a mouthful!

As well as the retail call charge being aligned to that of 01/02 calls, it is important that the termination charges of 03 numbers is the same as that of 01/02 numbers, which as I understand it is the case at present. This is so we don't have geographic charges pushed up as a result of higher 03 termination rates.

Is it likely that 01/02 termination rates may drop; for example as a result of BT's 21CN (21st Century Network) roll-out? And if so, how might this affect a service such yours (assuming that 03 termination charges drop with them)?
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011 at 4:08pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

nickimrie

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 4:21pm

Hi Dave,

its a really good point on Termination charges. To be honest we have based our model on a FREEMIUM service (i.e. 90% of customers use a free service paid for by the 10% who only pay for more difficult things like conference recording etc etc)...

I realise the Freemium model isn't employed in telecoms but our consumers business or otherwise consider conference calling in the same breath as other collaborative tools like "chat" "IM" and "webinars" so we need to be aware of the models that these platforms/technologies operate on and act accordingly...

As a result of our challenging model (we don't have deep marketing budgets) so the biggest challenge we have is spreading the word (preferably W.O.M.) in the most cost effective way possible...

Nick

IP Logged

sjg100

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 4:25pm

Dave wrote on Feb 8th, 2011 at 4:06pm:
It is great to see a company using these numbers. As a longtime member of the campaign, I have always believed that we needed a geographically-charged non-geographic number range. I'm just glad that they didn't call it that because it's quite a mouthful!

As well as the retail call charge being aligned to that of 01/02 calls, it is important that the termination charges of 03 numbers is the same as that of 01/02 numbers, which as I understand it is the case at present. This is so we don't have geographic charges pushed up as a result of higher 03 termination rates.

Is it likely that 01/02 termination rates may drop; for example as a result of (21st Century Network) roll-out? And if so, how might this affect a service such yours (assuming that 03 termination charges drop with them)?

Hi Dave,

Seeing as 03talk seems to now be down, I was wondering if you knew anything about this? Are there other companies doing the same thing using 03 numbers? In all honesty I'm struggling to understand how it could have made its money legitimately! Any light you are willing to shed would be most interesting.

Thanks

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 5:53pm

sjg100 wrote on Jan 16th, 2015 at 4:25pm:
Dave wrote on Feb 8th, 2011 at 4:06pm:

Is it likely that 01/02 termination rates may drop; for example as a result of (21st Century Network) roll-out? And if so, how might this affect a service such yours (assuming that 03 termination charges drop with them)?

Hi Dave,

Seeing as 03talk seems to now be down, I was wondering if you knew anything about this? Are there other companies doing the same thing using 03 numbers? In all honesty I'm struggling to understand how it could have made its money legitimately! Any light you are willing to shed would be most interesting.

Thanks

This service has been rebranded and  is now known as

http://whypay.net/

Other companies do offer a similar thing.

They tell you how they fund it on the site.

"Our free conference call service is supported by the fraction of a penny per minute which we earn from BT wholesale payments from calls made to 03 numbers. This provides a wafer-thin margin allowing us to provide WHYPAY? at no cost to you. We do not charge to use the service, nor insist you provide an email address to obtain a conference room."

However revenue sharing on 03 numbers is not officially  allowed.
Ofcom are looking into this practice http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/03-modification/
which is not just confined to conference calls.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2015 at 6:08pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

sjg100

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:59am

Thanks for the info.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it counts as revenue sharing as only the company and not the end user is making money off the bundles.

Suppose time will tell!

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 6:43pm

Ofcom's final statement after the consultation details several services that the amended regulations confirm as being banned. They are all to do with earning money or shopping vouchers, or building up and storing credit for later use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge