Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
National Audit Office fails to criticise HMRC (Read 22,161 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
National Audit Office fails to criticise HMRC
Dec 18th, 2012 at 9:55am

The National Audit Office has produced a report which is still critical of HMRC service levels but fails to criticise the use of 0845 numbers!   It states :--

Most of HMRC’s numbers are still 0845 numbers which result in high call charges for some customers. It is investigating alternatives as it negotiates its new telephony contract. HMRC estimates customers would save £13 million annually if all 0845 numbers were replaced with cheaper 03 numbers.

http://www.nao.org.uk/publications/1213/hmrc_customer_service.aspx

This lame statement that there are high charges for some customers and that it is investigating alternatives falls woefully short of the mark

It fails to state how many years HMRC has been messing around ineffectually and incompetently and failing to move to geo or 03 numbers.   It is merely reporting that HMRC is looking at the issue.

Its about time the NAO started to do their job properly in this regard.

This topic is reported in the Daily Mail and has generated 220 comments so far which indicates the level of public anger about this although as usual some comments confuse the issue with misinformation.   

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2249713/Hanging-phone-taxman-costs-milli...

Perhaps the FairTelecoms campaign should write to the NAO reinforcing our complaints and asking them to apply pressure to HMRC to stop procrastinating and get on and change their numbers.???
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012 at 9:56am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: National Audit Office fails to criticise HMRC
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:05pm

I believe that one has to take a very extreme position to claim that the NAO report is not critical of HMRC.

Supporters of the fair telecoms campaign, may be interested to follow its news feed.

There will be more to follow.

The NAO report will be used by various parties to out pressure on HMRC. There is enough there about the 0845 / 03 issue to enable proper pressure to be applied, if those applying it are properly briefed. This is where the matter lies, not with the NAO itself.

Having now had the time to catch up and read the report, I am not sure how the relevant recommendation may be aligned with the topic of this thread:
Quote:
HMRC should ensure when agreeing its new telephony contract that the contract provides for alternatives to 0845 numbers, to reduce costs to customers, in line with previous Committee of Public Accounts’ recommendations.

If, as has previously been suggested, negotiation of a new telephony contract will begin in the coming weeks, then the opportunity to migrate to 03, which has now existed for many years, will be delayed a little longer.

Because the 0845 numbers will have to remain in place for a time, as part of the transition process, it now seems inevitable that the cost of porting them to a new provider will have to be considered as part of the cost, assuming that a new provider is selected.

We must remember that the Ofcom announcements will be made shortly, so there can be no question of HMRC entering into a new telephony contract based on the imposition of a "Service Charge". It was always going to happen eventually - we now know that it will not be long.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012 at 5:52pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 11:04pm

Lets just hope HMRC dont get into bed with Daisy  Roll Eyes Otherwise they will be fooled into running a Geo. Line alongside, the same as GP 2 Tier System. I hope there are some savvy people in the Provider Selection Office, I will believe that savvy people exist in Government Offices when I see the 0300 or 0345.  Tongue

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2012 at 1:56am

Readers may wish to note that this particular issue is also being discussed, within a wider context, in the "
Who gets the Money?
" thread, starting at this posting.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 7:14am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 18th, 2012 at 2:05pm:
I believe that one has to take a very extreme position to claim that the NAO report is not critical of HMRC.

I disagree SCV.   Contributors to this Forum and others have been campaigning for at least seven years about the disgraceful exploitation of 0845 and other rip-off numbers by government Departments and Agencies and especially criticising the HMRC (Inland Revenue as it was) for its hypocritical practice of offering normal geo numbers to employers and organisations whilst insisting that ordinary taxpayers must call 0845 and other rip-off numbers.   I recall that much campaigning went on with letters to Ministers and Prime Ministers (Blair) which were largely ignored.

I think it is valid to criticise the NAO for not specifying when the Parliamentary Select Committee asked the Inland Revenue to  stop using rip-off numbers and not criticising HMRC for dragging their feet over this matter for years.   The NAO have pointed out that this delay by HMRC is very costly to the country in terms of actual phone call costs and also in waste of callers time for which they should be commended, but why have they fallen short of explicitly criticising HMRC on this point and only offered implied criticism?

It is interesting that the NAO reckon the rip-off numbers cost callers an additional £33 million whereas HMRC estimate the cost to customers at only £13 million annually.    HMRC fiddling the figures or being economical with the truth?

I just wish the NAO had been clear about how long HMRC have been wasting in looking at changing their numbers and how much this waste has actually cost in terms of HMRC internal costs and the total costs to callers at a rate of £33 million per year.   This is where the Fair Telecoms campaign could have an effect.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2012 at 9:23am by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 8:49am

loddon wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 7:14am:
I think it is valid to criticise the NAO …

The alleged discrepancy in the numbers is between two different figures.
  • £33 million is given as the cost incurred in 2011 whilst callers were waiting to be answered.
  • £13 million is given as the saving in call costs if the 0845 numbers were replaced with 03.
The fair telecoms campaign briefing expresses doubt about the second figure.

I cannot see the alleged absence of dates.

One of the reference to the Treasury Committee states
Quote:
In July 2011, the Treasury Select Committee concluded that …

This comment is accompanied by an annotation referencing
"House of Commons Treasury Committee, Administration and effectiveness of HM Revenue & Customs, Sixteenth Report of Session 2010–2012, HC 731".

Digging into the papers of this enquiry will reveal the evidence presented by a member of the fair telecoms campaign.

One of the references to the Public Accounts Committee states
Quote:
In January 2010, the Committee of Public Accounts reported that …

This comment is accompanied by an annotation referencing, amongst other items,
"HC Committee of Public Accounts, HM Revenue & Customs: Handling telephone enquiries, Twenty-fourth Report of Session 2009-10, HC 389"

The point about moving from 0845 to 03 was apparently discussed during an oral evidence session; it was not an explicit recommendation of that report. It has however been picked up by the NAO as an implicit recommendation.

It is not my role to defend the NAO, however I have read its report with some care.

We are touching on very fine points of detail here, by digging up history.

I am not sure if readers of the forum would welcome us now getting into a deep debate about how criticism of the actions of Officials and Ministers is the responsibility of the Comptroller and Auditor General, as against the two Select Committees (Public Accounts and Treasury), which have the role of using the evidence provided in her reports to parliament. I can see no grounds for alleging significant failure by the former and note that strongly worded comment has already been made by the Chairman of one of the latter.

Our campaigning focus is on the action that HMRC (along with other public and private bodies) takes in future. This may be informed by what has happened in the past, however that cannot now be changed. The Select Committees will be taking the NAO report forward and will be in receipt of further briefings from the fair telecoms campaign - any citizen is free to make representations.

There is also a tactical reason for sometimes not dwelling long on the scale of past failure. If we want someone to do the right thing, we may make it harder if seeking to stress that taking action now would invalidate previous reasons for not taking the same action, and thereby invite criticism. If we genuinely seek change for the better, then we sometimes have to forget the past and simply look to a better future.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 10:32am

I think we agree that the there is something at odds, if not completely conflicting, about the two cost figures quoted, £33M v £13M.   The former is said to be the estimated call cost of queuing, not including the time needed to answer and deal with the taxpayers enquiries, whilst the latter is the saving to callers which could be achieved by HMRC adopting 03 numbers (I agree with you that this figure appears to be unduly conservative).  One would expect the saving to be far greater than the £33M which would accrue if callers (mostly) were able call using the inclusive minutes within their call packages.  All those waiting minutes would not cost anything at all if they are within callers packages.  It would be helpful to see exactly how both the HMRC and NAO have calculated and justified their figures – are HMRC being economical with the truth?.

Neither the Press release nor the Summary within the NAO report mentions the year nor the elapsed period in which the Parliamentary Select Committee asked HMRC to stop using rip-off numbers and you, SCV, have had to burrow deep to find reference to dates – note that January 2010 is almost three full years ago.  I notice that none of the press or media have bothered or perhaps been competent enough to do the same.  This supports my contention that the NAO has ducked the issue -- important matters must be covered in summaries.

History is not irrelevant if it is apparent that an organisation is refusing to take corrective action over a long period without justification, is causing unnecessary and excessive costs to taxpayers and needs to be pushed hard to take long overdue action.   HMRC has been negligent in this regard and it would have been proper for NAO to point this out forcefully in its report.   The NAO is always likely to be more effective than any amount of campaigning by the likes of us.

Bear in mind that I welcome this NAO report and value the comments and criticisms which it does offer whilst also being prepared to prompt it not to withhold or omit further relevant and valid criticism.   Whilst I value your efforts in campaigning on these matters I do not not always agree with your tendency on occasions to act as apologist and justifier for the ineffectiveness of officialdom.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:18pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

catj

Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:06am

One of the problems with "officialdom" is that it is tied up in red tape, and if you make their life difficult or get too critical, they go all bloody-minded and go out of their way to find even more red tape to prolong doing the right thing.

At every step, people have to justify their actions and cover their backside. If a new policy is going to be a U-turn on a previous policy, then they have to be careful as whoever set the old policy in motion may be in a greater position of power.

Policy changes aren't always about people wanting to "do the right thing". They often happen when points can be scored against political opponents, however it's rare for anyone to admit that a previous decision or policy was "wrong".

Have you ever watched "Yes, Minister"? Those aren't light entertainment programmes, they're leaked training videos.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2012 at 11:50am by catj »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #8 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:07pm

I am sure that the NAO is well aware of all the "red tape" and takes it into account when conducting audits.

It is our role to state clearly and unequivocally what is the right path and to put forward the appropriate facts and arguments.  We cannot be beholden to red tape of which we are likely to be unaware.   I am not ignorant of that environment having worked within central government, local government and nationalised industry as well as in commerce and industry and am acutely aware of the internal politics of each.

There is no point in us mollifying our message or campaign if we hope eventually to succeed.   We need to be forthright and positive.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:31pm

I believe that we should not get too tied up in the past. I don't believe that the case for an organisation moving away from use of 084 number(s) is greater where it has been engaged in the practice for a longer period.

I read the parts of the report which contain "0845". There is one thing which jumps out at me:

Quote:
Cable & Wireless provides HMRC’s phone service and receives a proportion of the call charges borne by the customer. HMRC has chosen not to receive a share of the revenue and does not know how much Cable & Wireless receives because it has no contractual access to this information. In return, HMRC receives additional services which Cable & Wireless says are worth £4.7 million.

It cannot be right that users of 084 (and other 087/09 non-geographic) numbers do not know how much revenue their phone provider receives as a direct result of their choice of service (number).

Consumers of services should know what the charges are, whether these be paid by them or their customers.

The system at present is flawed because users of these numbers don't have an appreciation for the charges that their providers impose and so benefit from. The Unbundled Tariff will address these issues.

Users of these numbers do not appear to be calling for such openess. Indeed, users weren't calling for the introduction of a neutral range (which is now available in the form of 03 numbers).

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2012 at 6:27pm

loddon wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:07pm:
There is no point in us mollifying our message or campaign if we hope eventually to succeed.   We need to be forthright and positive.

I am disappointed by this apparent criticism of the approach of the fair telecoms campaign, as reflected in its published news release and subsequent briefing.

Neither of these, nor will the subsequent representations to the Committees, adapt any negative tone in criticising the NAO, nor avoid the main point by addressing the question of whether dates should have been presented more clearly in its report. I read them as being forthright and positive.

I cannot see how the message, that HMRC should switch to 03 as soon as possible and is damaging the interests of citizens by not having done so sooner, is any way "mollified" there.

loddon wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:07pm:
We cannot be beholden to red tape of which we are likely to be unaware.

Insofar as one can be aware of the proprieties of how public bodies conduct themselves (red tape), one approach is to respect it and seek to work within it, so as to be effective in changing public policy. That is the approach which I tend to follow with such bodies.

The brick-throwing approach, which seeks to shame officials into admitting their failures and shortcomings, by drawing attention to them, may be an alternative way of achieving the same objective. It is my view that the two approaches cannot be combined.

I struggle to see how one may ask someone to do something whilst asserting that they are wholly ineffective and wrongly motivated. Without any democratic mandate, we can only seek to persuade. In the absence of sufficient popular support to overthrow the regime in power, one has to respect its authority and methods if seeking to influence its behaviour.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:35am

My previous posting was in response to the comments by catj and advocated that we should not mollify our messages and was not criticising the two particular documents you have linked -- which I support.

It is totally misrepresentative of you to suggest that I have advocated "...  extreme positions ... brick-throwing … shaming officials ….asserting that they are wholly ineffective and wrongly motivated … seeking to overthrow the regime in power ...” when nothing of the sort has been said.

To advocate valid criticism, asking for officials to explain and justify figures and calculations quoted in their reports, seeking specific dates for events that are quoted and highlighting official negligence is a long way from “brick throwing” in my book and I would have thought you would agree with these type of requests.

Your unfair arguing is way over the top and not worthy of you SCV.   I would hope for fair, balanced and more reasoned responses.   It is a pity because we are both on the same side really and I have sought to support and strengthen your resolve. 

I still believe in the case for valid criticism, seeking for officials and reports to explain themselves and putting forward our messages in a forthright manner.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:37am by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 12:05pm

For what it is worth, I did not start the fight. I have only sought to explain and defend the position of the fair telecoms campaign.

It began with "the FairTelecoms campaign should write to the NAO reinforcing our complaints and asking them to apply pressure to HMRC". I see no grounds for complaint against the NAO, nor any basis from which a campaign group can suggest action on the part of the NAO.

It continued with an allegation that the NAO report had omitted dates, and that two quite separate figures were alternative versions of the same value. Reference to the report itself clearly quashes such allegations.

A suggestion was made that the NAO report had not indicated that HMRC was preparing to switch to 03 numbers. In fact this is what it will be doing next year; this was both reported and reinforced by a specific recommendation.

The discussion then moved on to consider whether campaigners had to be "beholden" to "red tape". My response indicated that one can either work within the realities of the status quo or seek to overthrow it.

I took use of the words "us" and "we" to refer to the fair telecoms campaign. I cannot see which other group may have been meant.

I maintain that there are no grounds for criticism of the NAO. I see the repeated, very serious allegation, of "negligence" on the part of Ms Morse, to be unjustified, as well as being of no relevance to the fair telecoms campaign.

As I prepare to brief the members of the Select Committees in readiness for their consideration of the report, I am (politely) seeking some further explanation of the basis for the figures reported. I have already received a preliminary response and hope for more. The calculation of a meaningful average call cost, which is necessary to understand the scale of the fault, is far from easy. I suspect that the absence of a detailed explanation of the calculations was fully justified.

I had hoped that this discussion would be brought to an end by the most significant point which has been made in this thread.

Dave wrote on Dec 21st, 2012 at 12:31pm:
The Unbundled Tariff will address these issues.

It is the fair telecoms issues that will be addressed. Those with political points to make can continue the discussion endlessly.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 12:47pm

The subject has just received 2 contrasting appearances on Radio 4. Moneybox with a serious interview and News Quiz which was a lot more entertaining. On neither programme did anyone try to make out that 0845 was a local rate number.

And saynoto0870 got a couple of decent plugs on Moneybox.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 7:53pm

The fair telecoms campaign blog has a comment on the Moneybox item with quotes and links.

The blogging is at http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/1/post/2012/12/hmrc-promises-03-numbers-in-2013.h....

To follow this blog and other fairtelecoms news visit http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/news-feed.html.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge