Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Free Calls From BT Landlines To BT Mobiles. (Read 19,882 times)
bigjohn
Supreme Member

Free Calls From BT Landlines To BT Mobiles.
Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:59pm

I am in the process of moving from BT to Plusnet to take advantage of a better deal.

BT wrote to me in an attempt to keep me and said i would lose this new offer which i didnt know existed . Shocked

See: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54053/~/learn-about-free-calls-to...

NOTE: Calls will be free during your inclusive call periods - the times that you can call landlines for free. (So it'll be at the weekends if you've got Unlimited Weekend Calls, and any time you like if you've got Unlimited Anytime Calls.)

You won't be charged a set-up fee or a pence-per-minute charge

Plusnet offer calls to all normal  UK Mobile Numbers in their Inclusive Minutes.

Fair usage limit of 1,000 minutes  ( Evening and Weekend Bundle ) or 2,000 minutes (Anytime Bundle) applies. Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won't be charged.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2017 at 9:16pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Free Calls From BT Landlines To BT Mobiles.
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:48am

One should always be mindful that it is easy to get carried away, seeing something could be regarded as too good to be true.

This is calls to BT Mobiles – which is of course what you state – but I think that it is worth emphasising. At first glance, I did interpret as being free calls to mobiles in general.

It begs questions as to how useful in practice this might be and how the caller might know whether the number they are calling is with BT Mobile.

How many people do you ask for their telephone number and the provider of the service they use? Not many, I would think.

Other providers have similar offerings, although these can be as standard with their service. This includes Plusnet and Utility Warehouse, which offer free calls to phones provided by themselves, for example.

These might be useful for calls to other family members whom are called often (free frequent inter-family calls), although to calls these numbers will be free anyway where the subscriber has an inclusive calls option in place. Where no inclusive package is in operation, such as with someone uses the telephone very little, then this will come into its own – so long as no one called switches provider, and fails to notify the caller of this.

If a particular person has been known to subscribe to a particular provider and moves away, the caller will be lumbered with a potentially big bill. This does act to the advantage of the provider who has lost a customer. Quite how profitable across all customers this might be, I'm not at all sure, but I feel it is worth noting nonetheless. The customer complaints department is certainly likely to receive communications from people in this position, particularly where the unexpected call charge is large.

Thus, "how useful in practice" offerings of this nature are can apply not only to the customer but to his/her call provider too, cynics might say.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 2:48am by Dave »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:34am

As you point out BT are not the first 

UW  offer free calls to UW Landlines and UW Mobiles.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/services/phoneandbroadband/phone

Plusnet only offer free calls to Plusnet Landline. Unless you buy inclusive call bundle.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/package-guides/phone

And Virgin Media and Talk Talk have similar offerings.

Wonder if it allows you to divert your calls from your BT landline to your BT Mobile at no call cost ?

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:48am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 8:53am

Since the fairly recent drop in mobile termination charges, more landline phone providers are offering calls to mobiles as part of a package. For example Plusnet offer 24/7 calls to 01/02/03 and UK mobiles for (I think) £8 per month. As is common, calls that exceed 60 minutes get charged but you can hang up and redial.

I think the PN package still includes calls to 0845 and 0870 though this surely can't go on much longer.

IP Logged

Ian01
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 9:55am

The key to landline providers being able to offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers is the termination rate for those calls being lower than that for calls to 03 numbers. This has been the case since 1 April 2016.

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 9:56am by Ian01 »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:51am

allegro wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 8:53am:
Since the fairly recent drop in mobile termination charges, more landline phone providers are offering calls to mobiles as part of a package. For example Plusnet offer 24/7 calls to 01/02/03 and UK mobiles for (I think) £8 per month. As is common, calls that exceed 60 minutes get charged but you can hang up and redial.

I think the PN package still includes calls to 0845 and 0870 though this surely can't go on much longer.

Plusnet Call Bundles also  restrict the amount of mobile calls you can make as.mentioned in the original post.

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:53am

Ian01 wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 9:55am:
The key to landline providers being able to offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers is the termination rate for those calls being lower than that for calls to 03 numbers. This has been the case since 1 April 2016. 

I wonder why BT still dont offer them in  landline call bundles despite saying they were going .to.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 11:00am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:37pm

bigjohn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:53am:

I wonder why BT still dont offer them in  landline call bundles despite saying they were going .to.

Because they are BT and they do as they please.  Ever since they decided to get involved in Sport their prices rose and rose... long gone are they days of inexpensive line rental charges (now nearly £20)... because someone has to make a profit somewhere....

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 2:16pm

CJT-80 wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:37pm:
bigjohn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:53am:

Because they are BT and they do as they please.  Ever since they decided to get involved in Sport their prices rose and rose... long gone are they days of inexpensive line rental charges (now nearly £20)... because someone has to make a profit somewhere....

There could be a lot of truth in this, I feel.

Also, BT, having acquired one of the largest mobile network operators, now finds that a not insignificant proportion of calls to mobiles, effectively at least, are on-net calls.

So then, Mr Petter, with the reduction in mobile termination rates – which you pledged would allow BT to offer calls within all-you-can-eat packages, and now your company's purchase of EE – when are you going to fulfil your promise?
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 2:16pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 6:57am

bigjohn wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:51am:
allegro wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 8:53am:

Plusnet Call Bundles also  restrict the amount of mobile calls you can make as.mentioned in the original post.

The number of calls is unlimited. The only restriction is on call length. I think is true of most, if not all, landline packages which offer inclusive calls. This is unlike mobile call packages where the restriction is normally total number of minutes per month with no restriction on individual calls. So if you want to natter for 3 hours on a single call you can do so without problems. Except for for your ear, throat and brain Smiley

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 2:10pm

My £8/month PlusNet calls package limits mobile calls to 60 minutes each and total mobile minutes to 2000 per month.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2017 at 2:11pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 4:36pm

Heinz wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 2:10pm:
My £8/month PlusNet calls package limits mobile calls to 60 minutes each and total mobile minutes to 2000 per month.

It all depends as to how many minutes one is likely to use. If it is under the limit, and especially when under by quite a margin, then the limit is not an issue, other than being mindful if there is exceptionally high usage one month.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2017 at 12:34am by Dave »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 8:16am

I admit I didn't notice the 2000 minute limit. For most users that's a lot more than they are going to use.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 4:27pm

There seems to be some confusion, although I am sure that contributors have researched the matter properly.

According to the BT Consumer Price Guide - Effective from 1st February 2017, the free calls to BT Mobiles only applies to Unlimited Anytime (and Home Phone Saver). It seems that the actual feature has a limit of 1000 minutes per month and does not apply to Unlimited Weekends or Unlimited Evenings and Weekends.

I also understand this covers only calls to (branded) "BT Mobile" lines, as "BT Business Mobile" lines are excluded. One must surely assume that calls to mobile lines provided by other members of "BT Group Plc" (e.g. EE) are also excluded.

Some of the information on the BT website appears to have been published before this benefit was actually introduced, and so should be read with caution.

It would obviously help the discussion if we can agree on what we are talking about. Alternative understandings provide a fair, if challenging, basis for discussion; there is no such thing as an "alternative fact", this term is a euphemism for a "lie".

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 5:46pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 4:27pm:
There seems to be some confusion, although I am sure that contributors have researched the matter properly.

According to the BT Consumer Price Guide - Effective from 1st February 2017, the free calls to BT Mobiles only applies to Unlimited Anytime (and Home Phone Saver). It seems that the actual feature has a limit of 1000 minutes per month and does not apply to Unlimited Weekends or Unlimited Evenings and Weekends.

The OP quoted the link Learn about Free Calls to BT Mobiles, which is one of BT's 'Answers'. Unfortunately they are not dated. Further, that page states that the calls will be inclusive where calls to landlines are inclusive and then gives the example that with Unlimited Weekend Calls calls to BT Mobiles will be free at weekends. The page does not give any limit on the number of inclusive minutes. It says that the offer is 'coming soon' and gives the URL to 'register your interest now' as http://www.bt.com/callbtmobile. The only thing is that this URL forwards to the BT homepage. So I would suggest that this page languishing on the server is now only ever going to cause confusion, particularly as there is no date which would might help the reader to conclude that the offer has either been made available or was never made available (that is, the information is in the past and not relevant now).

With respect to the allotted minutes mentioned by the OP, I believe this relates to the Plusnet offer rather than the BT one as it would seem to tally with the Plusnet website:

bigjohn wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:59pm:
Plusnet offer calls to all normal  UK Mobile Numbers in their Inclusive Minutes.

Fair usage limit of 1,000 minutes  ( Evening and Weekend Bundle ) or 2,000 minutes (Anytime Bundle) applies. Hang up and re-dial before 60 minutes and you won't be charged.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2017 at 5:47pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge