Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
0870 Swansea University (Read 47,202 times)
Smasher

UK
Re: 0870 Swansea University
Reply #45 - Apr 20th, 2005 at 6:57pm

It is the number listed in an old numbering catalogue in the residences managers office.  I asked if I could know the 01792 number and they were quite helpful, but they did say that the geog numbers didn't work anymore.

It (the catalogue) has the geographical numbers and the respective 0870 numbers listed alongside and the 01792 55**** is generic to all student extensions.

If it isn't the right number, does this mean there isn't a way to call through because ntl have blocked it somehow, or that they have moved to different geographical numbers?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #46 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 3:21pm

If they've changed to 0870 from geographical numbers, they almost certainly do stop the old numbers from working. Otherwise people would continue to use them (even if just out of habit, rather than to circumvent the 0870 numbers).

There may not be a geographical number if it's some sort of voice over IP system. If there is, it might be a "national dialling" number - i.e. one beginning with 0 or 1 - that can't be dialled from BT lines or some other services (but in my experience can be dialled from NTL lines).

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #47 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 4:23pm

Ah.   Undecided

So I guess there isn't much chance of finding this number before I leave University Residence in 6 weeks time Cry

If there is, does anyone know how?

IP Logged

lily

Reply #48 - May 2nd, 2005 at 11:50am

I have set up a VOIP system for my son at Oxford Brookes.  He has a Sipgate geographic number for incoming calls and can use 1899 VOIP for outgoing calls (both using K-lite virtual handset).

The only problem now is that when my son makes a call using 1899 VOIP, caller ID on the recipient’s phone shows my home phone number.  Can I get it to show my son’s Oxford number or, if that it not possible, can my number be withheld?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #49 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 7:41pm

More general discussion about the Swansea University accomodation phone system is in this thread. It also includes responses from the university.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Jun 8th, 2005 at 8:35pm

Quote:
The only problem now is that when my son makes a call using 1899 VOIP, caller ID on the recipient’s phone shows my home phone number.  Can I get it to show my son’s Oxford number or, if that it not possible, can my number be withheld?

Can't he make his outgoing calls using www.voipbuster.com instead?  That comes up as number withheld.

All geographic uk calls and calls to the USA with Voipbuster are totally free and he can have his own account that is nothing to do with you and which he will need to add credit to if he wants to call mobiles or 087/4x numbers which are not free.

IP Logged

lily

Reply #51 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 8:35am

Thanks for your help.  I will look into that. Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #52 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:04pm

As it's an NTL system, try dialling 173 and see if it gives a number, as suggested here on the Cambridge University thread.

See also the FOI request/response thread here.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:20pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:18pm

You dial 1280 to revert to BT for 0870 and 0845 calls or any other calls for that matter on Onetel CPS if you want to.

However www.dialaround.co.uk are cheaper than BT for both 0870 numbers (5p per minute) and 0845 (2p per minute) although you do pay for time before you are connected and minimum call charge if not connected.

18185 only charge 4p per minute to 0870 after 4p initial connection.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge