Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
0870 Swansea University (Read 47,353 times)
pauld

Newport, South Wales
Re: 0870 Swansea University
Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 11:38pm

To force calls to go via BT instead of onetel dial 1280 and then the number you want.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #16 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 10:38am

Quote:
Dave, I've had such a laugh reading through this lot!  My daughter has just started at Leicester Uni, and I am busy trawling through phone sites to get the most economical way of keeping in touch with her i.e. landline and mobile access.

The trouble is, there's very little difference between the prices for 0870 numbers on different networks because of the operator (NTL in this case) taking a cut of the call revenue.

I found the geographical number for accommodation at Leicester. It's 0116 005 xxxx (where xxxx is the extension number). However there is a problem with dialling this from most phones. Some people have suggested that BT have a legal obligation to let you call any number, so maybe you should hassle them. And do try calling that number from any landlines or mobiles you might have on different networks.

I should add that it's quite reasonable to make calls to landlines from the NTL student phones - it was just under 1p/min last time I checked, although that was a long time ago. This compares favourably to the ~8p a minute it costs to call an 0870 number, so I can only suggest getting your daughter to call you - you can always buy the credit for her phonecard.

IP Logged

Leo

Reply #17 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 11:51am

Similar problem with daughter starting at Exeter Uni.  System operated by Keycom plc.  Anyone any suggestions on how to get the real number from one which starts with 0870?

Thanks

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 12:11pm

Quote:
Similar problem with daughter starting at Exeter Uni.  System operated by Keycom plc.  Anyone any suggestions on how to get the real number from one which starts with 0870?

Bad news. From http://www.swern.net.uk/usergroup/meetings/minutes140503.html

Quote:
Exeter University has been approached by Keycom PLC to run voice over IP telephony services for student residences via JANET.

That means these calls are not being routed via the standard switched phone network, i.e. the 0870 number isn't an alias for a real number, but is instead a front-end to an internet phone service.

If your daughter has an internet connection in her room, I suggest using one of the free VoIP systems such as Skype instead of using the phone with an 0870 number.

This makes me wonder about the system at Swansea, for which there doesn't seem to be a geographical number. Perhaps NTL are using VoIP too.

IP Logged

Mumof1

Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 12:46pm

Quote:
Perhaps NTL are using VoIP too.

I'm sorry to be thick but could you explain that to me please?  Grin

IP Logged

pauld

Newport, South Wales
Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 12:53pm

VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol and now VoB is Voice over Broadband.

These are services that allow calls over internet connections.  I have VoB from BT and am very, very impressed.  I have a number which begins 05511 (yuk! - too much like a premium number - but I am badgering BT for a friendly (geo) number.

Hope this helps you a little!
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2004 at 4:05pm by pauld »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 1:02pm

Voice over IP (VoIP) means that you make calls over the internet. The sound is encoded and carried as internet traffic, rather than going down the phone wires to the telephone exchange in the traditional way. It is exactly the same as making a voice call using a service such as MSN Messenger or Skype.

However, whereas VoIP started as a free way to hold voice conversations over the internet, phone companies are now muscling in with pay-for services. The advantage is that you get a real phone number that people can call from an ordinary phone.

Skype is a great service because you can speak to anyone else in the world who has Skype for free. You can also call any standard phone in the world for a reasonable cost. See http://www.skype.com/. The only thing you don't get is a number that people can call from an ordinary phone.

If people at university have internet connections in their rooms, and rip-off 0870 phones, I suggest discarding the phone for all but emergencies and using VoIP instead. (Sadly this isn't an option for people at Leicester as they still don't have internet access in rooms...)

As far as Swansea goes, however the phones are set up, we aren't able to find a geographical number at the moment, so maybe VoIP is an alternative if they have internet connections.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 3:49pm

If these VoIP have no geographical alternative, then:
  • Why has Ofcom not given them another prefix code?
  • Will Ofcom wake up and move all these VoIP services to another number range, causing yet more inconvenience of numbers changing, simply because they're no good at what they're supposed to be doing?
  • They are charged at a higher rate than 'normal' land lines.
  • Communications companies have managed to screw more out of the public again. Ofcom doesn't seem to be very up on technology when it makes its rules, which the likes of NTL are only too aware of.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #23 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 4:02pm

Quote:
If these VoIP have no geographical alternative, then:
  • Why has Ofcom not given them another prefix code?
It was in the news earlier this month that Ofcom had announced a special code for VoIP calls: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3630888.stm.
The trial at Exeter predates this announcement.

The code allocated for this purpose is (according to the BBC) 056. Interestingly, a previous poster says he used VoIP with the code 05511.

There is no "geographical alternative" in this case because the call simply isn't being routed to a phone that is geographically located somewhere. Presumably the VoIP user could log in from anywhere in the world to answer his calls.

Even if Ofcom force providers to give all VoIP users an 056 number, you can bet the providers of student phone services will still hide them and force people to use 0870 numbers!

IP Logged

Leo

Reply #24 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 4:11pm

Probably a good job I'm not joining my daughter in Exeter as I'm still unclear as to what I do to phone (using a TalkTalk ordinary land line) or use my computer to call her and what she needs to do to either receive a call from me or make a call herself!

Can anyone help?  Thanks

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #25 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 4:30pm

Quote:
Probably a good job I'm not joining my daughter in Exeter as I'm still unclear as to what I do to phone (using a TalkTalk ordinary land line) or use my computer to call her and what she needs to do to either receive a call from me or make a call herself!

Using the in-room phone, there's probably nothing you can do except pay to call the 0870 number. It's probably cheaper for your daughter to phone you than for you to phone her.

The alternative I was promoting is only viable if the room has an internet connection and you have broadband at home. Then you should look into Skype and use that to talk for free.

IP Logged

Leo

Reply #26 - Sep 28th, 2004 at 4:32pm

Thanks alot.  My daughter does have an internet connection in her room and we do have broadband at home.  So I'll get on the Skype web site when I get home tonight and follow the instructions!!

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #27 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 8:00am

Hi Paula,   To override One.Tel, try 121, I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed since I last  used it. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2004 at 8:04am by robinp »  

robinp

IP Logged

pauld

Newport, South Wales
Reply #28 - Sep 29th, 2004 at 8:28am

As given in my earlier reply - to override onetel dial 1280.  You can get further information from onetel.

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 8:17am

Hi pauld, Maybe 121 is the no. for overriding One.Tel when your line comes through NTL by cable, which is what mine does. Or maybe it has changed, I must admit I haven't used it for quite a while.

robinp

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge