Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,035 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #435 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 3:08am

http://www.worcestershirehealth.nhs.uk/Internet_Library/Primary_Care_Trust/board...

USE OF NON-GEOGRAPHIC (‘0844’) TELEPHONE NUMBERS BY GP
PRACTICES

Introduction

There has been considerable media debate regarding the use of 0844 (nongeographic)
telephone numbers by GP practices. In Worcestershire there are
eleven practices using 0844 numbers.

Background

In April 2005 the Department of Health wrote to PCT Chief Executives stating
that Ofcom was considering changes to the pricing arrangements, which could
mean that revenue sharing on 0844 numbers would not be possible. The letter
made PCTs aware that the Department was reviewing the use of all nongeographical
numbers and that practices should bear this in mind if they were
considering switching.

In September 2005 Ofcom proposed that providers of 0844 numbers should be
required to publish more comprehensive and accurate pricing information, and
stated that it planned to monitor the types of services offered on 0844 numbers
and would consider taking action if providers started to offer services on 0844
numbers which were better suited to other number ranges.

In December 2006 the Department of Health wrote to PCT Chief Executives
regarding the introduction 03 numbers which will be charged at the same rate as
calling a geographical number and can be included in any inclusive or low-cost
call packages.

Contractual Obligations

Within Worcestershire the eleven practices with 084 numbers are contracted to
four service providers – Connaught Communication Systems Ltd, Midland
Communications, STL Communications Limited and NEG Telecom Limited. Two
practices have purchased systems outright whilst the rest have contracts which
have between 2½ and 6½ years to run.

Cost of Calls

There is a significant variation in the cost of calling 0844 numbers from mobiles
and the patient is very much in the hands of his or her service provider. For those
patients with a BT residential landline on a standard contract the cost of a
daytime call to an 084 number is 4.255 pence per minute (excl. VAT) 5.00 pence
(incl. VAT). In comparison the cost of making a local BT call in on standard
contract in the daytime is 3.36 pence per minute (excl. VAT) 3.95 pence (incl.
VAT) with a connection fee of 5.10 pence (excl. VAT) 6.00 pence (incl. VAT). On
the face of it there is very little difference between the two. However, significant
numbers of patients will be on low cost call packages, either with BT or other
providers, which may include free daytime calls but will exclude 0844 numbers.

084 vs 03 vs local Number

A practice using an 0844 number will receive a share of call income from the
service provider. This will either be a payment directly to the practice or will be
used to reduce their lease payment.

If a practice moved to an 03 number patients would benefit as these numbers
can be included in low cost call packages. However, 03 numbers will not be
attractive to a practice as not only would they lose their revenue share but they
would also pay to receive incoming calls.

Practices could revert to a local number which could benefit the patient. The
downside from the practice’s point of view is they would once again lose their
revenue share.

Summary

Practices are independent contractors and as such the decision on the type of
telephone system they use is entirely theirs. However, the PCT could
recommend that, in future, practices do not migrate to an 0844 number and this
could be made a the prerequisite for funding of a GP premises development.

The telephone market is extremely competitive and whilst there is little to choose
between the cost of a call to an 0844 number and to a landline on a BT standard
contract the reality is that, for a significant number of patients, this is not a valid
comparison because of the availability of discount call packages.

Migration to an 03 number is not an attractive option for practices as not only
would they lose their revenue share they would actually pay to receive incoming
calls.

Migration to a local number would mean practices would lose their revenue share
but a significant number of patients would benefit from their discount call
packages. Essentially we would be returning to a pre-0844 era in that practices
would pay the full cost of their telephone lease.

Paul Bates

October 2007
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2007 at 3:10am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #436 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 11:56am

The comments on this article are flooding onto the Mail website ;---

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article...;

A sample of what is being said : ---

Anyone who believes that a GP is looking after their interests is very deluded. GP's repeatedly take the easy option even when it comes to diagnoses and patient Care. I am lucky I changed from a practice that was a disgrace to a practice that actually cares I now have a Great GP.

- Andrew Downie, Teddington Middlesex

Since doctors were given their new contracts from new labour, they have had a sniff of the trough, and,like their masters, now want to get their snouts in as deep as possible.
These people should hang their heads in shame.

- Dapa, Chester, UK

Pure greed.

- Mark, Harrogate, Yorkshire

My greedy GP wanted 20 quid to sign an insurance claim for a hospital stay, it was only for £50!

- Johngee, London, England.

How can this benefit practices and patients, it's another rip off. At one time, our surgery would answer the phone within a minute, now after getting a new building with an annoying television echoing around it all the time, the phone may be answered in fifteen minutes if you are lucky enough not to be cut off before they decide to answer.

- Peter, Spalding

Why not include in this campaign the phone rip off in NHS hospitals? These 'bandit' phone companies should be put out of business.

- Terence, Hereford, UK

"Practices get a more efficient system and patients get through more quickly and spend less time on the phone, which has reduced the cost of calling the surgery for many patients."

What a load of rubbish, patients actually pay more for the privilege of waiting just about as long as always!

- Sid, Cornwall

This new statement by the DoH yesterday that "We do not expect GPs to ... be entering new ones (contracts) that would involve patients being charged more than for a local call." is a most significant milestone in the total banning of higher cost phone numbers for GPs. This means that no GP can now enter into a new contract which involves the use of an 0844 or 0845 number. A victory for the campaign against an obscene rip-off perpetrated on the sick, old and poor. Doctors must take note and act accordingly. They must start funding their new phone systems in a proper legitimate way.

- George, Home Counties

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #437 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 11:59am

More public comments on the Mail website : ---

Scandalous that already grossly overpaid GP's can fleece us for phoning them to make an appointment. They'll be charging us for sitting in the waiting room next.

- Kp Nuts, Thornbury, UK

"..A spokesman said the system benefitted patients because it allowed them to be placed in a queue.."

Err, I'd rather hear an engaged tone than be connected to a queue and pay for the privilege of hearing piped messages/music for 3 to 4 minutes, and PAY for it all as well. These G.P's are onto a nice little earner on top of their wildly inflated salaries, all at the expense of their patients. How greedy and diabolical of these G.P. surgeries.

- David, UK

Our library here in Hampshire has this 'new, improved service' for residents, with an 0845 number. No doubt we are being fleeced with that, on top of the £3 million spent on a library and council tax having doubled.

- Bryan Lawrence, Gosport UK

It is a pity that Network Europe Group's perception of patient satisfaction does not concur with that of the patients whose interests they hold in contempt. Meanwhile, the company has provided an 0800 number for its customers, so at least it does not cost any money to berate them for finding this unique opportunity of exploiting the sick.

- David Elliott, Brighton, UK

Kick out the spivs and wideboys and return to a proper state funded National Health Service is the answer to this problem.

- David, Andorra La Vella, Andorra

Some while ago, my father-in-law, who lives 50 metres away from his doctors surgery in kent walked there to make an appointment, only to be told that these were only given by telephone so he had to return home and then spend money to get the appointment he wanted. What arrogant people make these rules?

- Kevin Fletcher, France

Yet another rip-off that the Labour and Ofcom will fluster and bluster about then ignore.

Many overseas phone companies won’t connect to 0844 numbers as they are “premium”. So if you are sick abroad and a doctor needs to contact your doctor in a hurry . . . well more money for a £110,000 doctor comes first.

What is so sad is that people put up this.

- David Lewis, Staines, UK

So now our so called 'professionals' have joined the "Feed the Greed" club ... I thought better of GPs - obviously I was wrong. No wonder ordinary decent true Brits are leaving the country in droves.

- Kathy Doyle, Wisbech UK

The doctors surgery I worked at installed an 0870 telephone number and once the patients realised how expensive it was instead of phoning they would come to the surgery. So every morning there were huge queues of people waiting outside most of which were not happy so the poor receptionists had to take the brunt of the complaints not the practice manager who had installed the system.

- Shirley, Wimborne

What a scandal.

Why is the British consumer treated like fish in a barrel? Everyone has their hands in our pockets.

There simply is no honour left.

- Dino Fancellu, Epsom

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #438 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 12:00pm

More public comments on the Mail website : ---

Doctors dont want to know you when you reach the age of 70 anyway.

- Reg, Aylesbury, Buck's

My local hospital has an 0845 number. It takes ages to get through to any ward or department.

- Jane, England

The GP's have contracts with the Health Service. Don't reason with them, don't try to change their minds, WRITE IT INTO THE CONTRACT. Or is that too simplistic for the huge intellects in the Department of Health to grasp?

- Peter, SW France

Just how many times exactly are we expected to pay for services that we already pay dearly for but some seldom use?
People will either die or call 999 first because they cannot afford to call Premium lines.
I live alone on a low income and I would not use these numbers; I pay in advance for my calls but the package doesn't include Premium numbers.
This government has spawned a nation of fraudsters by their own fraudulent example.

- Peg, Surrey

My parent's health centre do not even have a letterbox so I could not cancel an appointment without making a phone call during the day.

- Jackie, Leicester

Is there any part of our lives where we do not get ripped off ?

- Kathleen, Wakefield, England

I feel it right we should, ALL OF US, have to pay at least something to see a GP.
This method of fund raising is underhand and therefore unprofessional.

- Nick, Bedford UK

I would rather get an engaged tone than pay 5p per minute to be in a queue! Then have to chose from 6 or 7 'options' and wait again.
Rip off the sick and vunerable again.

- Sue, Wigan

I would have to take out a loan, just for one call.

- Bob, Northants

Yes please scrap the premium phone numbers. The rich get richer and the poor ger poorer. Its not fair.

- Sally Solomon, Wareham, UK

I have been extremely annoyed about these 084 & 087 numbers sometime and have refused to use them except for the Doctors as I have to use them for repeat prescriptions for my Diabetes. It is a further diabolic 'tax' - Many Government departments use these numbers as well with no warning of charges. Personally I pay a standard fee for all 01 & 02 numbers only to have another £5.00/month being added on by these sort of numbers. Its a disgrace and typical of all these 'con' tricks now used in this Country.

- Kenneth Stephenson, Hinckley , Leicestershire

The whole issue of 08x numbers needs a public enquiry. Second level phone companies make a lot of money from them, and many public bodies (now including the greedy medical profession) are cashing in.

No phone call in the UK at any time has a cost of more than 1p/min. Even calls to the USA cost only about 2p/min. All the rest is just profit. Ask your doctor where the other 39p is going to. If pressed he will tell you that he gets a top notch phone system 'free', that is, you and I are paying his practice overheads as well as the 08x company. Nice one, doctors. Pity we have no choice as consumers. But then the NHS knows that already, only too well.

- Colin, Shrewsbury UK

The health centre at Barrow-on-Soar Leicestershire does this and there is usually a long wait.

- Ian, Barrow-on-Soar, Leicestershire

The moral of this is don't use your mobile to phone your GP!

- Liz, UK

They should be banned from doing this !

- Mike, Kensington, London

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #439 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 2:24am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2896435.ece

From The Times, November 19, 2007

GPs told to avoid premium numbers

David Rose

<<
Doctors should no longer be using 0844 telephone numbers that charge patients extra to call their GPs, the Department of Health has said.

The Government said that GPs should be using alternatives to the numbers, which are up to 4p a minute more expensive to call from a BT landline than a standard local call. Practices can also receive a rebate on incoming 0844 calls.

The Times reported in July that more than 1,200 doctors’ surgeries are using the numbers, prompting a campaign by consumer lobbyists who say that GPs are unfairly profiting from patients’ calls.

In a statement to primary care trusts, the Department of Health said: “We do not expect GPs to break existing contracts, but they should not be entering new ones that would involve patients being charged more than for a local call.”

Michael Kennedy, a member of the saynoto0870.com internet forum, said: “GPs who have contracted to use these revenue-sharing numbers may well be in breach of their contracts because they are precluded from charging patients.”
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #440 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 2:34am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/18/ndoctors218.xml

(THe Telegraph seems to have got its 844 and 845 numbers mixed up)

Doctors profit from patients' phone calls

Last Updated: 4:36pm GMT 18/11/2007

<<
Millions of patients are being forced to pay 40p a minute to phone doctors.

More than 1,500 GP practices in England have installed 0845 numbers, flouting government guidance which says the NHS should not charge more than local phone rates.

Katherine Murphy, from the Patients Association, said it was "an absolute scandal. You ring up and you are confronted with a long menu of options. And all the time it is costing an absolute fortune. What happens to that extra money? Is it being invested in services. I don't think so."

The Department of Health tries to discourage GPs from using high-priced numbers. But because family doctors are private operators, ministers cannot stop them making a profit from calls.

One in five practices use 0845 codes which cost 40p a minute from a mobile. Service provider Network Europe Group, which installed 1,200 of the phone systems, said patients benefited as they were placed in a queue instead of getting an engaged tone.
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #441 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 12:01am

Posted here and in the parliament thread:

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 19 Nov 2007 (pt 0032)

19 Nov 2007 : Column 602W

Greg Mulholland: To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) how much his Department estimates GP surgeries receive in revenue from calls to 0844 revenue sharing numbers; [164453]

(2) how many GPs' surgeries in each primary care trust area use 0844 revenue sharing telephone numbers; [164454]

(3) through what mechanism GP surgeries receive payment from calls to 0844 revenue sharing numbers. [164455]

Mr. Bradshaw [holding answer 15 November 2007]: We do not collect information centrally on the use of 084 telephone numbers.

The provision of telephone services for patients and the public is a matter for the local national health service. The Department did however issue guidance in December of last year clearly setting out that patients should not be charged more than the equivalent of a local call.

When will HMG start replacing should with must?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #442 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 1:10am

http://www.marstonmedicalcentre.co.uk/patient_survey.htm

Marston Medical Centre

Patient Survey 2007/8

Telephone

Your comments

• The new, longer phone number is difficult to remember
• The new phone number is more costly and less user friendly
• Why change a phone number that was easily remembered?
• I don’t like the new telephone system

Our response

We know the change in telephone number has been unpopular and we did not change it without consideration.

Our old switchboard was on it last legs and we needed to find a replacement. Nearly every system we looked at now provides the facility of offering options for where you wish your call to be directed. The service we chose offered the best range of options for our surgery set up and whilst we would have preferred to keep the old number we had to change to move onto a new network with our new supplier.

The 0844 is a local call number it is not a premium rate line.

The new system does provide both the patients and practice staff with benefits. Patients no longer get the engaged tone and know they are being held in a queue rather than having to constantly re-dial during busy periods. They can also cancel appointments when we are closed.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #443 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 12:46am

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display.var.1849201.0.gp_practices_defend_using_0844...

GP practices defend using 0844 numbers

By Joanna Codd

<<
LOCAL GP practices have been defending their use of non-local telephone codes after an attack from the Patients' Association.

The association says one in five practices is using 0844 numbers, which can cost as much as 40p a minute to call from a mobile telephone.

Two and a half years ago, the government banned NHS organisations from setting up new premium (09) and national rate (087) telephone numbers for patients contacting local services.

But Katherine Murphy from the Patients Association said even the 0844 number flouts government guidance that the NHS should charge no more than local rates.

"You ring up and are confronted with a long list of options. And all the time it is costing an absolute fortune," she said.

Judith Young, practice manager at the Talbot Medical Centre in Wallisdown, Bournemouth, which has an 0844 number, said its Network Europe Group service helped patients get through to the right person at the right time.

The switch had been made to improve the service for the group's 16,000 patients. "We have had much-improved access to the doctor on the telephone," she claimed.

The Holdenhurst Road surgery, which also has an 0844 number, said patients seemed to feel they were getting a better service, but if new guidance came out, it would look again at its system.

A spokeswoman for Ofcom said: "The cost of calling an 0844 number can certainly be more than calling a geographical number, but that would depend on the package you're on and the line you are calling from.

"Sometimes there can be problems phoning from abroad and these numbers don't tend to be included in discounts.

"Guidance given by the Central Office of Information says public sector bodies should be looking at normal 01 or 02 numbers."

She added that Ofcom had also issued 13 million new 03 numbers, as now used by the Ministry of Defence and RSPCA.

Customers calling them are charged the same as a local call whatever kind of line they are ringing from.

7:00pm Wednesday 21st November 2007
>>

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #444 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:36am

The replies on the ThisIsDorset site by the public are pretty unanimous in their wholehearted opposition apart from Mike in Branksome (who sounds like an NEG salesman).  None of the names obviously appear to be people connected with this website so it would seem that the worm is finally beginning to turn.

Quote:
Posted by: accountability, Chichester on 7:38pm Wed 21 Nov 07
These numbers are a complete rip-off and do not lead to a better service than previously. I am led to believe that even if the number is engaged you get charged.

Posted by: OldGiraffe, Poole on 7:43pm Wed 21 Nov 07
Luckily I can still walk to my local surgery on Canford Heath to make an appointment

!Quote | Report this postPosted by: Kevvo on 10:31pm Wed 21 Nov 07
This Country is going down the Toilet Profit before care shame on the GP,s concerned or more likely the administration Managers. Cure People not con them

Report this postPosted by: ALL SEEING EYE, POOLE on 11:17pm Wed 21 Nov 07
I live on Canford Heath and use the surgery. We have a 0844 number and after VAT is added it is over 50p a call, so most calls are going to cost £2-£3 pounds each!! With Doctors earning over £100,000 a year you think they would absorb the cost - after all they don't work weekends and always having time off and have their flash cars parked outside!! With Doctors earning over £100,000 a year you think they would absorb the cost - after all they don't work weekends and always having time off and have their flash cars parked outside!!

Posted by: Poole man in France, Paris on 6:13am today
When I come across these "premium" numbers I take my business elsewhere wherever possible. Sometimes they cannot be avoided, but that leaves me with a very bitter taste against the organization using them. I should like to recommend a website which often helps - saynoto0870.com.  I have just visited saynoto0870.com and see there is a petition to sign against this abusive use of premium numbers by health providers. It already has over 17,000 signators. So let's make our feelings known and sign up.

.Quote | Report this postPosted by: 2Much, New Forest on 6:57am today
The GP is a public service..it shouldn't be allowed to be a sneaky money making racket! (i take it they get a share of the calls from BT) I'm fortunate that my GP doesn't do this..but if it did..i would protest and get as many other patients as i could to protest too.

by: Mike, Branksome on 8:39am today
If my kids were ill I'd be quite happy to pay 20p to an 0844 number rather than have the stress of the redial button when they're engaged. The consultation with your GP is FREE, move abroad and you'll pay. Get over having to pay a few pence for a phone call.
If my kids were ill I'd be quite happy to pay 20p to an 0844 number rather than have the stress of the redial button when they're engaged. The consultation with your GP is FREE, move abroad and you'll pay. Get over having to pay a few pence for a phone call.Quote | Report this postPosted by: Phil, Poole on 8:42am today
You might be able to find an alternative local number on the www.saynoto0870.com website. For instance, it lists Canford Heath surgery as 01202 777777. (I don't know if this works.)
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:37am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #445 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:41am

Source: Lynn News
Published: 27 November 2007

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/Doctors-new-39phone-service-slammed.3523239.jp

Doctors new 'phone service slammed

By Amy Collett

<<
A WEST Norfolk doctor's practice has been accused of "robbing its patients" after introducing a new telephone number which charges up to 40p a minute.

Patients at Vida Healthcare's Gayton Road Health Centre in Gaywood and Carole Brown Health Centre in Dersingham are being charged more when they ring to make an appointment after GPs switched their local rate number to an expensive 0844 number.

The new number has been slammed by Gayton Road patient and former health authority chairman Roy Spencer, of Lynn.

"Not only does the call now cost more but we have to deal with an automated phone system making our calls last longer and therefore costing more," he said.

Mr Spencer, who was chairman of the former West Norfolk and Wisbech Health Authority 20 years ago, said the move was particularly unfair to the elderly and vulnerable.

"The more you accept these type of things the more it's going to cost us in the end. So much for a free health service. Doctors should stop robbing their patients."

The new number was installed earlier in the year, but Mr Spencer said as no letters were sent to patients he only discovered the change when he made an appointment last week.

It is thought the two surgeries are the only ones in West Norfolk using an 0844 number, which costs 5p a minute from a landline and 40p from a mobile. This compares to a local rate of 3.25p a minute.

When the Lynn News phoned Gayton Road on Wednesday, it took more than two minutes of going through options and being on hold to speak to someone.

By the time the call ended, about the time it would take to make an appointment, it had taken about three minutes – a cost of around £1.20 on a mobile.

In 2005, the Department of Health issued guidance to GP surgeries about the use of high-cost numbers following comSplaints that some surgeries were using premium-rate 0870 numbers, which are even more expensive. The 0844 number, although not technically premium rate, is still much dearer than a local call.

But as GP surgeries manage their own business, the NHS cannot force them to change.

Graham Dickerson, managing partner of Vida Healthcare, which operates both Gayton Road and Carole Brown surgeries, said their phone system has been approved by the DOH and is used in around 1,200 practices across the country.

He admitted mobile suppliers charge high rates to 0844 numbers, as they do many numbers, but said: "That's not really my problem."

He said the system, which handles 25,000 calls a month, was brought in as a direct result of patients' comments about phone access, with many saying they would rather wait in a queue than having to keep re-dialling. The surgeries' two patient groups were also involved.

Jill Brock, chairman of Gayton Road's Patient Participation Group, said posters asking people to attend a meeting to discuss the new number were put up and letters were sent out with repeat prescriptions, but only two of the centre's 17,000 patients turned out.
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #446 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 2:00am

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=136993&command=displayConte...

ROW OVER COST OF 0844 PHONE NUMBER TO CALL DOCTORS

22:40 - 27 November 2007

<<
A medical practice in Exeter has been accused of breaking Government guidelines over the way patients are charged to phone the surgery.People phoning Heavitree Practice at Heavitree Medical Centre for an appointment or an inquiry have to use an 0844 number, which charges them up to 5p per minute from a landline - more than a local rate call.

Patients and healthcare groups have criticised the surgery, arguing the cost of calling the phone line undermines the principles of a free NHS.

The phone system is also against Department of Health guidelines which make it clear patients should not be charged more than the cost of a local call when ringing their GP.

But the surgery in South Lawn Terrace has defended its use of the phone system, saying it does not make a profit from it and it was introduced to improve service to patients.

By phoning the number, people are offered a range of options to enable them to be put through to the right person.

It is is one of a growing number of surgeries throughout the UK to use a private contractor to operate an 0844 phone line.

Known as revenue-sharing telephone numbers, the systems often work by splitting income from calls between the contractor and the practice.

Patients of the surgery the Echo spoke to were critical of the phone system and the service it provided.

Sheila Milton-Head, 68, from Ringswell Park in Wonford, said: "It's a bit much and I don't agree that patients should be charged more to phone."

Saffet Temizbas, from Heavitree, said: "We were kept waiting on the phone for 15 minutes and it was so frustrating we decided to come here on foot instead."

Janet Gubb, 69, of Thornpark Rise, Heavitree, said: "It's a long number and you are put on hold for a long time with music before you are put through. I can't understand why they have that sort of number and I don't like to think it is charging me more."

Michael Summers, vice-chairman of the Patients' Association, said: "The NHS is intended to be free and patients shouldn't have to pay more for it in dribs and drabs, as they do with 0844 numbers."

Dr Anna Morris, from Heavitree Practice, said yesterday she couldn't be certain of the call charges as the practice manager was away but she believed calls from a landline to the 0844 number were the same as to a standard landline and mobile tariffs were as standard.

She said the system was introduced in December, 2006 after a survey of patients showed a new phone system was needed to improve efficiency.

She said: "You are never going to have a system everyone is entirely happy with and there have been some complaints about mobile phone tariffs to the number, but generally the feedback has been positive."

Dr Morris said patients were invited to comment on the system through feedback forms.

A spokeswoman for Ofcom said under the standard BT Together Option One, the price of a call to an 0844 number was up to 5p per minute, compared to 3p for a call to a 01 or 02 number.

Health minister and Exeter MP Ben Bradshaw said: "The Government made it clear last year that people should not be charged more than for a local call when they ring their GP."

A Department of Health spokesman said it would be writing to primary care trusts in December to ask surgeries not to use 0844 numbers but he said some had entered into agreements with which could last several years.
>>
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:41am by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #447 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 12:21pm

idb wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 2:00am:
A Department of Health spokesman said it would be writing to primary care trusts in December to ask surgeries not to use 0844 numbers but he said some had entered into agreements with which could last several years.

Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!  Also if the NHS could previously force all doctors surgeries using 0870 numbers to suddenly stop using them at the same time and move to 0844 surely they have the precisely the same power to force them to renegotiate their contracts with their telecoms suppliers after a certain date so that they can only use 03 numbers.

If renegotiating these contracts to use 03 numbers costs them more money tough.  Its entirely their own fault for entering the contracts in the first place and the costs of funding the reneogotiation should come out of GP salaries at the practices involved to punish them for their own combined greed, stupidity and incomptence.

Of course no doubt we can hardly expect the top management of the NHS who are still holding out against providing an 01,02 or 03 alternative number for NHS Direct to be prepared to do the right thing by their patients. Shocked Angry Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #448 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 1:14pm

I agree with NGMsGhost. It would seem completely wrong that if 0844 numbers are not banned for all GPs but only those who haven't gone over yet then it means the greedy GPs get away with it and might encourage others to sign up quickly to avoid the ban.

This was a risk they took when taking out the contract and should suffer the consequence for their greed. If they were mislead by NEG then they should take any loss they incur up with them.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #449 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 12:18pm

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Patients-pay-more-for-calling.3551428.jp

Patients pay more for calling doctor

By Simon Hughes

<<
PATIENTS in Corby and Wellingborough are having to fork out more money to see their doctors after surgeries installed 0844 telephone numbers.

Four surgeries use the system, resulting in higher costs for patients who want to book an appointment.

Woodsend Medical Centre and Forest Gate Road Medical Centre in Corby have 0844 numbers as do Redwell Medical Centre and Albany House Medical Centre in Wellingborough.

Depending on the supplier, calls can cost up to 10p a minute from a landline and up to 35p from a mobile.

Michael Summers, trustee of the Patients' Association, said: "I think it's inappropriate and my understanding is although those numbers were designed to be helpful, it's not effective and doesn't really speed up the calls.

"It seems wrong that patients are having to pay for a free NHS through their taxes and then pay extra through these calls."

Corby councillor Ray Lilley has demanded to know when the surgeries will change back and accused them of penalising pensioners and young families.

Max Hand, manager at Albany House Medical Centre, Wellingborough, said the 0844 system only charges an extra 1p a minute for most people calling on a landline.

He said: "The additional money goes to the operator, not to us. It's a moot point as to whether a queueing system is better – we think it is because patients don't get an engaged tone now.

"Otherwise it's a complete lottery and this is a fairer system."

Linda Whitehead, manager at Woodsend Medical Centre, said the 0844 number was installed because people complained about the old booking system.

A Department of Health spokesman said: "We do not expect GPs to break existing contracts, but they should not be entering new ones that would involve patients being charged more than for a local call."

Mary Leggart, a patient at The Medical Centre in Forest Gate Road, Corby, said: "I didn't realise that it was more expensive to call. I think it's awful. It should all be the same cost at all the surgeries."
>>

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge