Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 713,235 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #465 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 8:59am

Maybe everyone with these rip off practices should deregister enmass, informing them and the PCTs why we are doing it, because as I understand it the doctors get paid for every person registered, therefore if most of the patients deregister, their pay will drop, shouldn't take to long for them to get the message.

And don't forget if you are ill you can go to any surgery even if you are not registered with it if you are not registered any where.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #466 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 9:13am

Hi Derrick

Very Good Suggestion - but rather that deregister would it not be better for the patients to contact their practice in writing expressing their grievances and maybe suggest to other patients that they do the same maybe get up a petition. I think if enough letters landed on the GPs desk they would sit up and listen.

I am now going to contact my G.P. and let him know why I have left.

Baz

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #467 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 9:58am

Hi Baz,

I think they would take more notice if it hit them in THEIR pockets, I don't think they would take notice of petitions.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #468 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 12:34pm

HOUSE OF COMMONS ADJOURNMENT DEBATE
0844 REVENUE SHARING TELEPHONE NUMBERS
MONDAY 21 JANUARY 2008

Graham Stuart MP will introduce a debate on this topic at the end of today’s sitting in the Commons chamber.

This will commence after any 10:00 pm divisions at the conclusion of the debate on Europe.

The debate will last for 30 minutes. Mr Stuart may take interventions from other members. A minister will reply on behalf of the government.

This is simply a discussion; the only vote will be “that this house do now adjourn”.

The debate will be broadcast by BBC Parliament and by Parliament Live

A record will be found in Hansard from 8:00 am on Tuesday morning

Members may wish join efforts to encourage participation by MPs and coverage by the media.

Links to the published proceedings will be published in the Parliamentary update thread.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #469 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:34am

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Surgery-defends-new-call-system.3727349.jp

Surgery defends new call system

By Kaye Henry Health reporter

<<
PHONE bosses and health chiefs today defending a new call system installed at a South Shields doctors' surgery.

Earlier this month the Gazette revealed how Trinity Medical Centre in Laygate has ditched its 0191 phone number, replacing it with Surgery Line.

The new number aims to improve access and speed up call handling for the 6,200 residents registered with the practice, and includes a new modern switchboard and call-recording facilities.

But Surgery Line, which adopts an 0844 number, has been at the centre of a national controversy.

Revenue sharing 0844 numbers have been criticised by campaigners and branded a 'scandal' during a House of Commons debate.

MPs raised concerns at an adjournment debate last week, stating that calls to GPs cost more using these numbers, and that doctors were making a profit from the extra costs.

But service provider Network Europe Group (NEG) and Trinity Medical Centre have denied the allegations.

Patients were previously paying 3.6p per minute (plus VAT) and a connection fee of about 4p (plus VAT) calling from an 0191 number.

They say the new lo-call 0844 number costs 4.9p per minute (including VAT) from landlines, although costs from mobiles will vary.

NEG says charges are about the same for an average three minute call as there is no connection fee.

Alistair Campbell, of NEG, said a proportion of the costs do go back to the practice to fund the new systems but stressed surgeries were not profiting from patients.

He said: "For some it will be cheaper, for some fractionally more, but for most there is no difference.

"The average call length of calls to surgeries has gone down after 0844 numbers are installed.

"Patient surveys show a significant improvement in patient satisfaction after 0844 numbers were installed.

"If patients were being ripped off and held in long queues, this would certainly not be the case."

Margaret Weaver, Trinity Medical Centre business manager, added: "We have been assured by Surgery Line that calling from a land line will not cost the patients any more money than from a BT line and the cost from a mobile is out of our control and down to the supplier.

"The practice is committed to delivering high quality services to our patients and we feel this new phone system may actually cost patients less as the calls will be handled quickly and efficiently.

"Patients will not get the engaged tone and patients will not be kept on hold.

"As with all our services to patients, we will evaluate and constantly monitor to make sure we deliver these standards."

She added the new telephone system was discussed by the surgery's Patient Involvement Group.

Dorothy Robertson, chairman of South Tyneside District Hospital's Public Patient Involvement (PPI) forum and a patient at Trinity, was consulted on the system.

She said: "There's been a lot of discussion on this. I'd previously been led to believe it was more expensive, but I now know it's no different unless calling from a mobile.

"There is going to be a tremendous advantage for the surgery and for the patients."

Department of Health guidance recommends that GPs consider using 03 numbers which cost the same as a geographic call regardless of what type of line the call is made from.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #470 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 3:08am

http://db.cornwall.gov.uk/documents/download.aspx?doc=277751

CORNWALL COUNTY COUNCIL

Not Confidential                        

HEALTH AND ADULT SOCIAL CARE OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE

21 January 2008 Agenda No. 8

CORNWALL AND ISLES OF SCILLY PRIMARY CARE TRUST – USE OF 0844 TELEPHONE NUMBERS BY GP SURGERIES 

RECOMMENDATION

The Health and Adult Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee is asked to note the contents of the Report.

[...]

Cornwall and 0844 use by GPs 

4.1 There has been considerable media debate regarding the use of 0844 (non-geographic) telephone numbers by GP practices (see Appendices 1 - 3 for examples). 

4.2 In Cornwall there are currently 6 (Main Surgery) GP practices using 0844 numbers:

Pelynt Surgery  Branch Surgery  Pelynt, Looe
Drs Fagg,Palmer,Brewer,Goss,Roy,Davies & Geoffrey Main Surgery Polperro, Looe 
Drs Jackson, Charlton, Webster-Harrison, Booth & Rae Main Surgery  Portview Surgery, Saltash 
Drs Ingle, Kersh, Macready, Stephens, Wight, Randell Main Surgery Narrowcliff, Newquay 
The Rame Group Practice Main Surgery Cawsand, Torpoint (Choice of 01 or 02 number in addition to the 0844)
Drs Middleton, Hamilton, Waldron & Partington Main Surgery Par, Polruan Fowey 
Neetside Surgery Main Surgery Bude 

4.3 On 27 November 2007 the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly PCT issued a press release which stated: 

“We feel strongly that patients should not pay higher than normal rates to call GP practices to access local health services. We will discuss this issue with the practices concerned because this is not in line with Department of Health guidance. As a Trust we aim to provide equitable access to services and do not encourage practices which discriminate based on an individual’s financial situation or otherwise.”

4.4 The PCT have committed to ensuring all practices are fully aware of the contents of the Department of Health letter to PCT Chief Executives (Appendix 4) and subsequent correspondence. The PCT will explore reverting to a geographic or ‘03’ with practices who currently use 0844 numbers. The PCT are aware, however, that practices may be tied into contracts with telephone systems suppliers which make an early change to a geographic number unrealistic or have a cost implication.

4.5 The PCT will explore with practices, timescales and cost implications of moving from an 0844 number to a geographic code or an ‘03’ number. This will be completed by 31 January 2008.

Proposals

This report was brought to the Committee at the request of Members. Members are therefore asked to consider whether the report and responses from Cornwall and Isles of Scilly PCT provide adequate reassurance that the issue is being tackled locally or whether further work/ reports are required. 

OPTIONS

The Health and Adult Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee could:
(i) note the report, or

(ii) make recommendations as to how this issue could be pursued with the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly PCT.

RESOURCES

The adoption of 0844 numbers by GPs and any cost implications which arise as a result of any changes would need to be addressed by the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly PCT. 

CONSULTATION/ROUTE 
Public/Other Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Primary Care Trust
Local Member(s)                      

Anticipated Date
Panel    
Committee HASCOSC 21 January 2008 
Executive No   
Council No   

CONCLUSION

The Committee is requested to receive the report and consider whether any further action is required by the Committee.

[...]

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #471 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 3:12am

http://www.listermedicalcentre.com/

Notice Board

Change of Telephone Numbers

From Tuesday 22nd January 2008 the surgery has a new telephone number which will be 0844 576 9010.

The new fax number will be 0844 576 9011.

Calls from a BT landline to these numbers will currently be charged at 4.2 pence per minute; calls from other operators may vary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE LISTEN to the new menu options or use option 2 for appointments and option 5 for general enquiries.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #472 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 3:18am

http://www.derbycitypct.nhs.uk/content/Item%203%20TB%20minutes%206%20Dec%2007.pd...

TRUST BOARD MEETING
6th December 2007
PUBLIC SESSION MINUTES

Trust Board Meeting 3rd January 2008
Agenda item number 3

DERBY CITY PCT

[...]

Any other Business
208.07.01 0844 Telephone numbers
The question of use by practices of 0844 telephone numbers was raised. Ms Blackshaw reported that a review of use of 0844 numbers was currently taking place, but initial findings seemed to show that benefits in terms of access for patients outweighed the marginally higher cost of such calls. Practices did not benefit financially from the use of 0844 numbers. The review report will be brought to the Board on completion.
Kathryn Blackshaw

[...]

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #473 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 3:31am

http://www.reading.gov.uk/Documents/Committee_Services/Housing_Health_Community_...

BERKSHIRE WEST PCT

Summary:
This report provides statistical data and examples of patient feedback received by PALS during the period 01 April 2006 – 30th September 2007.

[...]

Access to services

These enquiries usually relate to problems with access – these can range from disabled access to premises to more general enquiries about patients’ entitlement to receive NHS services. Enquiries regarding difficulty accessing GP surgeries to make an appointment also fall under this category e.g. patients ringing abroad to 0844 numbers, or being unable to make a pre-bookable appointment more than 2 weeks in advance.

[...]

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #474 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 3:36am

http://www.barnsleypct.nhs.uk/download.asp?DLID=280

Barnsley LMC Newsletter

[...]

Use of Non-Geographical (‘084’) Telephone Numbers
There have been numerous newspaper articles recently complaining about GPs making
money from 0844 telephone numbers. This is particularly galling as there are many
other NHS services (NHS Direct for one, as well as many hospitals) and other public
services (like the police) that are not using local rate numbers which have not been
picked up by the press.

Firstly, it seems unacceptable that practices be expected to move away from 084
numbers when, only a year ago, practices were encouraged to move to these numbers
when the use of premium rate numbers was banned. Secondly, whilst we fully support
the view that practices should not seek to make significant financial gains from their
telephone systems, there is no evidence to suggest that using an 084 number allows
practices to do this. In fact, many practices using 084 numbers are often able to deal
with their calls more efficiently and quickly, therefore costing patients less overall.

[...]

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #475 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 5:44am

Answer me this, you say that you were encouraged to use 08 number who by, LET ME GUESS THE COMPANY THAT SOLD YOU THE PHONE SYSTEM Grin.  08 numbers when used by doctors and other such services is unacceptable and it has been lobbied in parliament, the results were very encouraging

You say that you support the fact that significant gains should not be made, well that makes me laugh; D because if that was the case you would use the 03 range of numbers. I am in business myself and if I contacted my customers asking them to subsidize my phone calls they would go else where.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #476 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:58am

bazzerfewi wrote on Jan 31st, 2008 at 5:44am:
Answer me this, you say that you were encouraged to use 08 number who by ...

Sadly, it was the Department of Health and many PCTs! This is why they are slow to admit their mistake, because this would involve accepting at least some moral responsibility to help GPs buy themselves out of their telephone service contracts.

bazzerfewi wrote on Jan 31st, 2008 at 5:44am:
You say that you support the fact that significant gains should not be made

The problem here, as shown by a number of the recent postings, is that NHS patients are being seen as consumers who should not be exploited by GPs to provide excess profit. It is seen as OK for patients to pay if they get "value for money".

This reasonable approach for a business situation IS TOTALLY WRONG in the context of the NHS.

The NHS does not provide "value for money" to patients using its services. It is funded through progressive taxation and provided according to need. Some pay a lot a get little, some pay little and get a lot. That is how it works, many (but not all) of us believe that this is how it should be. Consumerism, which I fully support in the commercial field, cannot apply to public services in general, the NHS in particular.

David

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #477 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 11:29am

HERE HERE I to fully support private industry I work for myself and that is where my income comes from but I think the line should be drawn when the NHS and related services is used for profit at the cost of patients.

Doctors receive an adequate salary and as I stated in my last communication if I expected my customers to pay more because I installed a new phone system the probability is that they would go else where.

Baz

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #478 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:37pm

http://www.lcrpct.nhs.uk/site/Internet/PCTStructure/BoardMeetings/2008/0/Paper%2...

LEICESTERSHIRE COUNTY AND RUTLAND PRIMARY CARE TRUST
REPORT TO THE TRUST BOARD
10 JANUARY 2008
Tile of the report:
Report from the Professional Executive Committee Chairman
Report by:
Dr C Trzcinski, PEC Chairman
Presented by:
Dr C Trzcinski, PEC Chairman

Summary of key points:

[...]

Premium rate (0845 or 0844) phone numbers

[...]

6. Premium rate (0845 or 0844) phone numbers

The overview and scrutiny committee of the county council has raised concerns over the use of the above telephone numbers by GP surgeries. Following discussion the PEC agreed that national policy should be followed on the issue which is that each practice should decide if they will use these numbers, but no profit should be made. GPs should consider using the 03 numbering range, which were introduced earlier this year.

[...]

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #479 - Feb 2nd, 2008 at 1:53pm

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Warning-over-GPs-phone-numbers.3736616.jp

Warning over GPs' phone numbers

Danielle Beeton

<<
Doctors' surgeries have been advised against taking up a controversial new telephone system amid fears it is leaving patients out of pocket

Claims have been made that Wearside GP surgeries with 0844 telephone numbers are costing people more to call than the traditional local rate.

Four surgeries in Sunderland and two in Durham currently carry the new number instead of the 0191 code, according to the NHS Choices website.

Those with 0844 numbers have usually implemented a phone system known as Surgery Line, which is usually provided by a company called Network Europe Group (NEG) Limited.

The system allows callers to be placed in a queue so that they do not hear the engaged tone.

According to NEG, calls to 0844 numbers cost patients 4p per minute, the same as the first minute of BT's standard call rate between 6am and 6pm.

But now, claims from MPs suggest the system is actually costing patients up to 4p more a minute and 40p a minute from a mobile phone.

After the issue was discussed in Parliament earlier this month, Wearside resident Patrick Lavelle raised concerns at an integrated board meeting of NHS South of Tyne and Wear.

Mr Lavelle, who intends to stand as an Independent candidate for Sunderland Central in the next General Election, said: "Not only does this pose a challenge to one of the main creeds of the NHS – free at the point of access – but it impacts on the most vulnerable members of society – the chronically ill, young families and pensioners."

Jan Forster, director of the policy unit at NHS South of Tyne and Wear, confirmed that surgeries and primary care trusts had received guidance from the Department of Health not to enter into new contracts.

She said: "There are approximately 12 surgeries in South of Tyne and Wear who currently have 0844 numbers and we are working closely with all of them surgeries to make sure no new contracts are entered into."

She added that primary care trusts would work closely with surgeries who have already entered into contracts, to weigh up the pros and cons of keeping the line.

According to communications watchdog Ofcom, the cost of calling an 0844 number depends on the telephone package, which makes it hard to give a snapshot of the true cost for all telephone users.

But a spokeswoman did confirm that those using BT's Option One package, for example, would pay up to 5p a minute to call an 0844 number, whereas a number with the prefix 01 would cost up to 3p a minute.

She said: "The advice we give to consumers is that they should contact their telecommunications company because they are obliged to make it clear to them what they charge based on the package they are on."

NEG has denied that calls to 0844 numbers cost any more than to normal landline numbers.

A spokesman said: "We have not been told of the guidance. As far as NEG are concerned, we have a formal agreement with the department to provide 0844 numbers to GP surgeries. In fact, it was a move that they instigated.

"Around 10million patients around the UK rely on an 0844 number to reach their GP, with only a very tiny minority – less than 1 in 10,000 – complaining about the cost.

"It would be a total farce and a complete U-turn for the Government to reverse their policy on use of 0844 numbers for GPs.

"The average call to a GP lasts for three minutes. Calls to an 0844 number (or lo-call rate number) cost 12.6p for a three- minute call. Calls to the old number would have cost 15.08p for a three-minute call from a BT landline.

"Calls vary depending on which network is used, but calling an 0844 number is designed to be of roughly the equivalent price. 0844 numbers can cost less and they can cost more but on balance they cost about the same which follows the guidelines issued by the Department of Health."
>>

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge