Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 712,620 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #450 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:23pm

idb wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 12:46am:

After a helpful briefing to the journalist, a follow up to this article has been published:

Calls to get tough on surgery phone lines

A subsequent further briefing has been provided to point out that:

1. it is Alan Johnson, the Secretary of State for Health, who believes that GPs are breaching the terms of their contract,

2. at least one local MP (a former shadow Chancellor) has written to the PCT about this matter, and

3. it is the Prime Minster who is hosting the petition.

The journalist has been urged to rely on worthy and local sources, and vica versa.

David

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #451 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 12:38am

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/content/redbridge/recorder/postbag/story.aspx?br...

NHS phone line is hitting the needy
12 December 2007

<<
IT IS with concern that I note the North East London Mental Health Trust has, since June, used the geographic number 0844. This system is designed by a private company.

People may not be aware that this telephone number is more expensive than the 0845 number and inevitably includes revenue sharing.

The profits of each call - instead of an engaged tone, callers are kept on line until the call is answered - are shared between the company, which gets the lion's share, and the health trust that uses this system.

This is a charge to patients trying to access services and makes a mockery of the statement that the "NHS is free at the point of delivery".

This particular change of use has been brought in by stealth and affects most radically the poorest in our society. Those who are on benefits, who are pensioners, and the chronically ill.

Many of whom are unable to afford a phone and make do with public call boxes, or the occasional use of a pay as you go mobile, where the call will be prohibitively expensive.

I would urge those who are as disconcerted as I am about this, to make representations to their MP or to the Patients Advice and Liaison Service at their local hospital.

DIANA NESLEN

Address supplied
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #452 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:44am

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/More-anger-over-Gaywood-and.3586937.jp

More anger over Gaywood and Dersingham GP calls

By Amy Collett

<<
A DOCTOR'S practice which introduced a new phone system charging people up to 40p a minute has sparked more complaints from patients.

Patients at Gayton Road Health Centre in Gaywood and Carole Brown Health Centre in Dersingham are having to fork out more money to see their doctor after the surgeries switched their local rate number to a more expensive 0844 number.

The move sparked a complaint from Gayton Road patient and former health authority chairman Roy Spencer, as reported in the Lynn News last month.

Now more patients who were unaware of the change or the higher call charges until they read our story and checked their phone bills are outraged as well.

Gayton Road patient Elise Swansborough (51) has complained to Vida Healthcare, which operates both surgeries, Norfolk Primary Care Trust and North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham and is also considering starting a petition calling for the local number to be reinstated.

Miss Swansborough, of Lime Kiln Road, Gayton, said charging patients more to phone their GP was "unethical and wrong", and undermines the principles of a free NHS.

"If the phone system they had before didn't work then they should find some other way of resolving it rather than making their patients pay more," she said.

It is thought the two surgeries are the only ones in West Norfolk using an 0844 number, which costs 5p a minute from a landline and 40p from a mobile. This compares to a local rate of 3.25p a minute.

Gayton Road's Patient Participation Group said the surgery tried to consult patients before the new number was introduced earlier this year by putting posters up and sending out letters with repeat prescriptions.

But patient Jeannette Fine, of Gaywood, said as someone who doesn't need to visit the surgery very often, she did not see any posters when she was there and didn't receive a letter with any of her repeat prescriptions.

In a letter to the Lynn News, she said: "I had no idea that the new number, besides being less convenient to use than the old, cost me more. I suspect that the majority of healthier patients at these surgeries, like myself, never had any notification of the change, let alone its cost implications."

Vida Healthcare has defended the new system, saying it does not make a profit from it and it was introduced to improve service to patients.

Managing partner Graham Dickerson said: "The new system was brought in as a direct result of the comments patients made about telephone access to the surgery. For example patients told us they would rather wait in a queue than having to keep redialling."
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #453 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:46am

idb wrote on Dec 13th, 2007 at 12:38am:
http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/content/redbridge/recorder/postbag/story.aspx?br...

NHS phone line is hitting the needy
12 December 2007

<<
IT IS with concern that I note the North East London Mental Health Trust has, since June, used the geographic number 0844.

WHOOPS!!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #454 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 5:17pm

More local media coverage

See posting to Surgeries charge more for calling

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #455 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 11:12pm

RETHINK ON GPS AND HIGH-COST CALLS

09:00 - 16 January 2008

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=176452&command=displayC...

<<
Gp surgeries in Notts are being urged to review their use of high-cost telephone lines.

The Evening Post revealed last month some practices had started using numbers which allowed them to take a share of the profits from every call.

Now health bosses have arranged a series of meetings with GPs to review use of the 0844 numbers.

Ten surgeries are using the dialling code, which costs about 5p a minute from a standard BT line, almost double the usual 3p charge - and can cost as much as 50p a minute from a mobile phone.

Initially, health trusts said they were powerless to stop GPs using the 0844 code, as they were "independent contractors".

But in a U-turn, the Nottingham and county primary care trusts (PCTs) have promised further action.

In an e-mail seen by the Post, county PCT chief executive Wendy Saviour said: "I read the article in the Evening Post and we will be pursuing this issue though our primary care contracts function within the PCT. It is clearly something we need to try and resolve."

A spokeswoman for Mrs Saviour's trust added: "We are pursuing this with the local Strategic Health Authority to ascertain whether there will be any national directives."

Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for Nottingham City PCT said: "We will be meeting with the practices concerned to discuss the use of 0844 numbers, and to agree the best way forward."

Neither the NHS nor telecoms watchdog Ofcom have the power to dictate what telephone lines are used by GPs.

Both Ofcom and the PCTs, which run health services, said they recommended surgeries did not use the numbers.

Annesley Woodhouse GP Dr Greg Place said: " I think doctors should not be using 0844 or any other form of number which means the patients have to pay more than the standard rate."

clare.boyd@nottinghameveningpost.co.uk
>>

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #456 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 7:03am

Hi I think this is fantastic and a stride in the right direction, can we lobby the Practice Managers and the relitive body within the health authorities.

I think if as many practice managers an relevant departments within the health authorities were contacted it may force their hand.

I am not a telecoms techi but surely they can use 03 numbers for the same purpose.

If somebody points me in the right direction I will do my bit.

Baz

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #457 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 9:24am

bazzerfewi wrote on Jan 17th, 2008 at 7:03am:
... can we lobby the Practice Managers and the relitive body within the health authorities.
Lobbying can only properly come from those to whom the respective body is accountable. It is however proper to provide briefings to anyone, especially those able to lobby, such as MPs and local media.

I am not a telecoms techi but surely they can use 03 numbers for the same purpose.
NHS providers (and indeed all providers of public services) who require a non-geographic number should now only be using 03. There are many who use non-geographic numbers when this is not actually necessary, although it is not always easy to determine where this is true.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #458 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 10:06am

[..] surely they can use 03 numbers for the same purpose.

Well, from what we understand, their new systems run entirely on VoIP. There is absolutely no excuse for NEG to not switch them straight over to 03. The most that the surgeries would have to pay would be a minimum fee to actually run the 03 number, but there would (or at least should!) be no incoming call charges.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #459 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 1:29pm

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/New-phone-system-a-boost.3686317.jp

New phone system a boost for patients

By Kaye Henry

<<
A NEW phone system installed at a South Tyneside medical practice will give patients better access to services.

Trinity Medical Centre is introducing a new phone service at its surgery in Laygate to help speed up call handling and improve access to services for its 6,200 registered residents.

The new system is being introduced on Thursday, and from then, patients will have a new number, 0844 815 1005, to call.

Margaret Weaver, business manager at Trinity Medical Centre, said: "Like many GPs, our patients can find it difficult to get through to us at peak call times.

"Our current system can't cope with the high volume of calls we get at certain times of day, which means that our patients may get the engaged tone when calling us, particularly first thing in the morning.

"Our new system has additional lines and uses call automation to make call handling more efficient."

The system,known as Surgery Line, is especially developed for doctors' surgeries and has been installed at several GP practices in North East England and in about 1,200 across the UK.

A new modern switchboard with headsets, handsets, call recording facilities and safety equipment for staff are included.

Ms Weaver said: "We are always looking at ways to improve our service for patients, and we are confident that our new phone service will ease communication with us.

"Our patients should now find it quicker to speak to the department that they need, with extra lines for callers."

The new phone number will be charged at lo-call rates of 4.2p per minute, which is equivalent to BT most common standard rate and so shouldn't cost patients any more.

To make the changeover as smooth as possible, patients dialling the old number in error will hear a recording with details of the new number.
>>

IP Logged

Golf_Paul

KC Land
Reply #460 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 4:03pm

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=136730&command=d...

'IMMORAL GP CALL PRACTICE MUST GO'

18 January 2008

A controversial phone system that charges patients to call their doctor is to be discussed in the House of Commons.

The 084 number, which is used by 11 doctors' surgeries in East Yorkshire, charges patients up to 5p a minute from land lines and 40p a minute from mobile phones.

Its use was first reported in the Mail after 72-year-old patient Ian Burns, of Patrington, was charged 50p for one call, during which he was placed on hold for 10 minutes.

The system, operated by Surgery Line, has been branded unfair by patients and health watchdogs and Health Secretary Alan Johnson, MP for Hessle and West Hull, has issued firm advice to GPs not to charge patients more.

Beverley and Holderness MP Graham Stuart has secured a Commons debate on the controversial numbers.

The motion, backed by 59 MPs, describes the system as "unsatisfactory" and calls on Mr Johnson to put an end to it.

Mr Stuart said: "These call charges have caused a great deal of hardship and worry to many people, especially the elderly and disabled, and it's about time we saw the back of them. Unfortunately, the Government is dragging its heels and refusing to act.

"Instead, it's content to blame the health trusts. It's up to Mr Johnson to put an end to this immoral practice and that's what I'll be calling for in Monday's debate."

Under the Surgery Line system, callers do not receive an engaged tone if the line is busy, but are placed in a queue and given a list of options to choose. However, the call does not tell people their bills are rising while they are on hold.

Before the system was introduced, people calling surgeries on a Kingston Communications line could do so for free and BT customers would have been charged 3p a minute at peak times and 4.5p for up to an hour off-peak.

The revenue-sharing numbers, as they are known, also allow practices to generate up to 2p a minute income from each call.

A number of other service providers, such as dentists, opticians and pharmacists, have also moved to 084 numbers.

The latest guidance from the Department of Health is that GPs should not enter new contracts with providers. It also recommends GPs should consider 03 numbers, which cost the same as a geographic call regardless of what type of line the call is made from.  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #461 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 4:37pm

Golf_Paul wrote on Jan 18th, 2008 at 4:03pm:
Beverley and Holderness MP Graham Stuart has secured a Commons debate on the controversial numbers.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmagenda/sa80121.htm

Quote:
Summary Agenda Monday 21 January 2008

At the end of the sitting

Adjournment Debate: 0844 revenue-sharing telephone numbers (Mr Graham Stuart) (until 10.30 p.m. or for half an hour, whichever is later).

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #462 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 5:08pm

idb wrote on Jan 18th, 2008 at 1:29pm:
The new phone number will be charged at lo-call rates of 4.2p per minute, which is equivalent to BT most common standard rate and so shouldn't cost patients any more.

This is yet another surgery which has been mislead on call costs. As well as it not being "standard" (and it has never been), it is quoted exclusive of VAT.

Quote:
To make the changeover as smooth as possible, patients dialling the old number in error will hear a recording with details of the new number.

"Patients who dial the 01 number in error (sic) should now ring the 0844 number, for which you will be charged for NHS services."

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #463 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 5:38pm

I feel very strongly about doctors ripping patients off so in protest I have changed my Doctors to one with an std number

I URGE YOU ALL TO DO THE SAME WHERE POSSIBLE IN PROTEST AGAINST THE PREMIUM RATE 08 CHARGES LEVID 

Baz

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #464 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 7:57pm

All very well if you have the choice, but in my neck of the woods, EVERY practice has  ditched the geo numbers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge