NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #630 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 1:45am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:08pm:
Whilst campaigners may rightly comment that it has already taken too long and that action is required now, we must at the same time show the necessary degree of patience in assessing what we may have achieved.

Why must we show the necessary degree of patience when these numbers can both be created and liquidated overnight at the touch of a few buttons.

All that is needed is legislation and/or governmental rules making the use of these numbers non permissible.  Any organisation using them must then bear the costs of changing out of their own budgets.  All of the relevant contracts will undoubtedly contain force majeure clauses allowing them to be renegotiated in the event of government legislation or other rules that makes a change in the terms of the contract essential.

It is only because we lack the revolutionary instincts of our Gallic colleagues that the government is able to foist these ripoffs on us in the first place.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #631 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:10am

NGMsGhost wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 1:45am:
Why must we show the necessary degree of patience? ... because we lack the revolutionary instincts of our Gallic colleagues

"All I can tell you is, brother, you'll have to wait"!

IP Logged

Nutsy

Reply #632 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:06am

New to the site and really only signed up to the forums just to post this...

To add to the 0844 scam debate.
My GP moved to 0844 last year and theres many cases where i was stuck on hold for ages before getting any sort of option.

In todays case I actually need to see a dr but when i phoned up this morning I was stuck on hold for 30 minutes before i eventually gave up and came here to get the land line number.

When phoning the land line number i got straight through with no fuss whatsoever

Is me waiting 30 minutes a pure mistake or a planed scam?

This whole system is sodding gross and really made my blood boil...

My GP decides that the only time you can call to make an appointment is at 8:30 in the morning. And they make patients all call and fight for appointments. Its often the case that by 9:30 there are no appointments left.

And you can only make appointments for the day you call. You cant arrange for a next day or next week appointment.
By forcing all patients to call at that time they ensure long queues and high 0844 revenue.

Though this part is my fault. 0844 numbers are more expensive on mobile phones. And i used my mobile to make the appointment because it was by my bed and was my alarm clock to make sure i woke up in time to make the appointment.

Why has no watch dog or anything at all investigated this very immoral practice?

Thanks
Simon
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:22pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #633 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:37am

You were extremely lucky to get a landline alternative number and get through.

Your surgery is not alone in  not being able to make appointments in advance, the reason for this is a typical Labour government con. It is all to keep to the targets that surgeries have been given. It will not look good in the headlines if they say that appointments over 24 hours are on the increase, so to make the figure 0% they only take appointments on the day.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:22pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #634 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:38pm

Nutsy wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:06am:
In todays case I actually need to see a dr but when i phoned up this morning I was stuck on hold for 30 minutes before i eventually gave up and came here to get the land line number.

When phoning the land line number i got straight through with no fuss whatsoever

I suspect a bit of each is true.

I would imagine the landline number is one that the surgery uses for non patient calls from business suppliers, consultants in hospitals and of course from their own family and friends.  It seems clear your surgery regards it as unacceptable to make those people use an 0844 number or wait in a queue so also have a geographic phone number specially for them.  So hence you get straight through on a priority line and unless and until they reach the stage of saying they won't talk to mere patients on this number you then jump the queue.

On the other hand the appalling queues you experience on the 0844 number are what I would call a planned scam by the telco that sold the system to your GP practice and/or the GP practice itself.

By outrageously insisting that you must call at a certain time of day (almost as though you were queuing at the door of the surgery at that time but electronically) the likelihood of queues they cannot cope with is completely maximised and this means both the telco who sold the system and your GP's practice benefit as each gets a revenue share rakeoff that increases the longer and more unacceptable the queues are.  Outrageously these GP practices always claim they got the system to reduce phone queues for patients but the new system of sharing revenue to pay back the debt they have incurred on the phone equipment gives and them the telco that sold it every incentive to maximise the queues.  They have no incentive at all to answer the phone quickly.

Quote:
This whole system is sodding gross and really made my blood boil...

My GP decides that the only time you can call to make an appointment is at 8:30 in the morning. And they make patients all call and fight for appointments. Its often the case that by 9:30 there are no appointments left.

And you can only make appointments for the day you call. You cant arrange for a next day or next week appointment.
By forcing all patients to call at that time they ensure long queues and high 0844 revenue.

This sounds utterly despicable.  My understanding was that GPs have to offer you advance appointments in a number of days time if that is what is more convenient to you.  However what they are not allowed to do is to force you to come in several days in the future when you want to be seen today.  I would file an official complaint with your local PCT, also try to get your local newspaper interested in covering the story (call up and ask to speak to a report or the edtorial team) and go to see your local MP about this.  Or you can contact your MP via email using www.writetothem.com

They are completely suiting themselves here on the basis that they are a monopoly and that if they offer outrageous service of this kind you can't take yourself elsewhere in the short term and it is still very difficult to move GP practice anyway.  They also get a large amount of money just by having you on their books and regardless of whether or not you manage to see your doctor.

What is your local PCT.  I will provide a link to their website so you can complain to them if you tell me what PCT they are in your next post.

Quote:
Though this part is my fault. 0844 numbers are more expensive on mobile phones. And i used my mobile to make the appointment because it was by my bed and was my alarm clock to make sure i woke up in time to make the appointment.

Why has no watch dog or anything at all investigated this very immoral practice?

The so called watchdog is Ofcom, the telecoms and broadcasting regulator, or OfCoN as they are known around here.

They are the worst and most corrupt regulator in Britain stacked from stem to stern with people from the telecoms companies and who then often go back to work at the telecoms companies and they do nothing at all to stop or close down these scams.  Instead they say your doctor being able to move to 0844 etc is all in the interests of a competitive telecoms market.  That is in your doctor's interest to get the highest revenue share he can but not in your interest as a consumer to get the lowest call cost you can.

Never, never, never, ever call an 0844 phone number on a mobile or BT Payphone where they are charged at 20p to 40p per minute.  Always call them on your landline where the charge is 5p per minute but even then not included in unlimited call plans to 01/02 numbers where it would be 0p per minute were an ordinary 01 or 02 prefixed number used.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:23pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #635 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 1:11pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Sep 16th, 2008 at 12:38pm:

The so called watchdog is Ofcom, the telecoms and broadcasting regulator, or OfCoN as they are known around here.

Strictly speaking, the way in which users of revenue sharing 0844 numbers use this service is outside the scope of Ofcom's responsibilities. (If Ofcom were to re-classify 084x numbers as being used for "premium rate services" then this would bring them inside the scope of its powers.)

NHS GPs, although independent, operate under contract to the relevant PCT. The Department of Health has issued guidance to PCTs re-iterating "the Government’s position that patients should not be expected to pay more than the equivalent of a local call".

It is currently considering what action to take following an exercise "gathering evidence and views on this subject". A recent letter from the relevant minister suggests that this will amount to nothing more than advice about how patients can access their GP or other NHS organisations without placing additional costs on them. In this (unusual) case, that advice would have been to visit saynoto0870.com.

Nutsy may indeed wish to write to his PCT, local paper, MP etc. advising that this is what the advice should be, and pressing the point that perhaps all NHS organisations using 084x numbers should ensure that alternative geographic numbers are published on this website.

More seriously, it is a change of number that is required. Nobody would call the more expensive number if a cheaper and more effective alternative was available. I do not believe that it is an objective of this website to provide privileged access to NHS services for only some patients.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:23pm by Dave »  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #636 - Sep 16th, 2008 at 9:27pm

To add to the 0844 scam debate.
My GP moved to 0844 last year and theres many cases where i was stuck on hold for ages before getting any sort of option.

Perhaps you could write to your local newspaper about this. They could investigate by ringing at sample times on the 0844 and geographical numbers to see if there is a difference as you suggest.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #637 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 12:59am

Dave wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:39pm:
Source: E-Health Insider Primary Care

http://www.ehiprimarycare.com/news/4131/dh_backs_away_from_084_telephone_ban

DH backs away from 084 telephone ban

09 Sep 2008

E-Health Insider has done a follow-up piece reinforcing the points made in this article.

The new piece covers the abandonment of a 0844 number in favour of 0300 by Leicester Hospitals.

Trust ditches 0844 number

It also covers comments from local campaigners about GPs.

The point to note is that surgeries could carry on using Surgery Line if they too moved over to 0300 numbers. The only difference would be that they (or the NHS) would have to pay for the costs of the system, rather than patients.

If NEG offers a worthwhile value-for-money service, and, as an external supplier, were to be content to recognise and respect the fundamental principles of the relationship between NHS patients and their GPs, rather than seeking to undermine it and encourage surgeries to mislead their patients, then NEG would have no problem with this.

The same applies to Opal Telecom (part of Carphone Warehouse) which provides the telephone service. It could provide the same services on 03xx numbers as on 0844 by a simple variation of the financial arrangements in the existing contracts, as is done by other telephone service providers.

So far, neither party has publicly indicated its willingness to support the Department of Health in restoring the principle of "free at the point of need", should it wish to do so whilst retaining the benefits of Surgery Line.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #638 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:06am

http://www.brooksidegrouppractice.co.uk/newsletters/summer08.pdf

Telephone System

A few patients have asked why we have a 0844 telephone number and we
wanted to explain the reason we don’t have a geographical telephone
number. In 2004 we needed to upgrade our telephone system as the current
technology was getting old and the number of calls we were receiving was
increasing. The best system we could find was one that used an 0844
number which was endorsed by the Government with charges the same as
BT Option 1 – 4.2p per minute. We are not funded by the Primary Care Trust to install a
phone system and the cost to us is high – about 10 times greater than our previous system.

In brief, we changed to a 0844 number for the following reasons:

 it provides the best technology possible to answer high numbers of calls, ensures
immediate access to an emergency line, records calls for patient protection and
directs patients to the right department across 3 sites;
 it had been agreed by the government as a suitable service with the 0844 lo-call
Number;
 the original decision was made on the basis that the charges were the same as BT
Option 1 for a local call;
we have signed up for a 7 year contract - and we do believe the system is the best we
could possibly offer our patients.

The biggest telephone running expense to the surgery is the cost of
telephone consultations, where the GP rings the patient, often at length
and often to patients’ mobile phones. The cost of this is high especially to
some networks and to the G3 numbers many patients use (25p per min).
We believe this service, though costly to us, is of immense health benefit
and convenience for patients.

We have also made available a phone number for patients who need to contact the
surgery whilst abroad. Although we have no obligation to provide this service patients can
contact us from outside the UK if they need to on 0044 870 112 7587.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #639 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:12am

http://www.hamiltonpractice.nhs.uk/

The Hamilton Practice:

Tel:  0844 477 3558 * Keats House Health Centre,
Bush Fair,
Harlow,
Essex. CM18 6LY 
Fax:  0844 477 3559 
Please Note: If you need to speak to one of our secretaries please call between 10am - 2pm Monday - Friday.

* Calling an 0844 number costs the same (currently 4.2p per minute) as calling a BT low call rate number for the  majority of patients. Some phone companies do charge an additional cost to their customers and if they have a discounted calling arrangement they can contact their network provider to advise them that the surgery is a health facility and request that the number is included in their discounted calls.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #640 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:13am

idb wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:06am:
The cost of this is high especially to

That's rubbish - what numbers (aside from 09 numbers) cost 25p from a landline?!

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #641 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:00pm

idb wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:12am:
...they can contact their network provider to advise them that the surgery is a health facility and request that the number is included in their discounted calls[/highlight]
We have more chance of winning lottery than getting our OCP to discount calls on 084 which are used by surgeries, etc!  Grin

Do these people actually think this is possible or is this just NEG trying to play down the cost of 0844 calls?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #642 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:49pm

jgxenite wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:13am:
idb wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:06am:
The cost of this is high especially to

That's rubbish - what numbers (aside from 09 numbers) cost 25p from a landline?!

Whether or not this particular figure is accurate, there is no doubt that any NHS practice incurs many expenses. The only relevant question is over whether these should be covered by patients as they access NHS treatment. For a NHS "free at the point of need" the only answer is a clear NO.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #643 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 8:55pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:00pm:
idb wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 3:12am:
...they can contact their network provider to advise them that the surgery is a health facility and request that the number is included in their discounted calls[/highlight]
We have more chance of winning lottery than getting our OCP to discount calls on 084 which are used by surgeries, etc!  Grin

Do these people actually think this is possible or is this just NEG trying to play down the cost of 0844 calls?

The title of this thread is apt, assuming that this rubbish came from the said provider.

The call rate from a BT landline for 0844 477 numbers is 4.894ppm inc VAT or 4.255ppm exc VAT. This rate is set by the terminating provider, in this case Opal Telecom, part of Carphone Warehouse.

This is so that Opal can know how much it will get in termination charges from BT. The figure is about 4.5 ppm exc VAT during the daytime. The terminating payment for a 01/02/03 number is about 0.3 ppm exc VAT during the daytime.

The surgery is the customer of Opal Telecom, maybe indirectly. They expect others to fund the extra 4.2ppm to make them inclusive!

That's a bit like Sony saying that Currys and Comet should reduce its large screen plasmas to the same price as they sell the small ones for!

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #644 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:11pm

Re Hamilton and Brookside is there anything we can do about these? As someone whose wife is a Doctor and who wouldn't dream of spouting these lies this just makes me so angry.

a) You can't ask your provide to include them in their call package. None will.

b) The rates quoted are pre Vat and practically nobody calling their Doctor can claim back the Vat (even if Vat registered as it is usually not a business expense)

c) Use of the word Lo-call

d) Providing an 0870 for calling from abroad is unobtainable from some places and where not is usually treated as premium rate

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge