Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221234? (Read 172,743 times)
cfxtv

Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221
Reply #75 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 4:49pm

Hey all - I'm new here! I stumbled across this today when I wanted to call them and was horrified to see they'd switched to an expensive number. They must be fully aware that a majority of their callers will use a mobile, so it's an utter disgrace that they have done this.

I've only ever had to call it however to complain about their poor service however, and wanted to ask them where the hell my bus was because it didn't show up for 45 minutes. I found calling 02072225600 does the trick - it appears to be their head office or something and they put you straight through to the help line.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #76 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 9:53pm

cfxtv wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 4:49pm:
I've only ever had to call it however to complain about their poor service however, and wanted to ask them where the hell my bus was because it didn't show up for 45 minutes. I found calling 02072225600 does the trick - it appears to be their head office or something and they put you straight through to the help line.

Hello and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

Feedback is much appreciated; many thanks.  Smiley

Do join in on the forum, posting about any necessary updates/removals/additions you find are required in the alternative numbers database listings. The site relies on visitors' feedback.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:22am by Dave »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #77 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 11:31pm

I have all the internal LUL numbers on a PDF, including emergency numbers, which I found left on a train one day (heh heh).

Problem is I dont know if to release them on here, for several reasons including that TfL might get sh**y and get a takedown order against this site purely because of people using emergency numbers.

"These numbers are for use by transport professionals e.g. TOC, Freight, Network Rail, London Buses Controls as the primary contact point for the Network Operations Control - the NOC will recognise the incoming call as a request, advice or instruction from an external (to LU) transport professional. THESE NUMBERS ARE NOT TO BE RELEASED TO ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC"

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #78 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:01am

Sorry, bit I was absolutely f**king livid today when calling 020 7222 1234 to be greeted with the 0843 scam number message. My call was neccessary because the District line was suspended and there were no replacement buses on offer to my destination. I wanted advice - so my choice was to pay 40p per minute for the advice or pay £1.20 catching an otherwise unneeded bus.

I am also sick of the swerve technique these skullduggers use when referring to 'BT costs 5p, other providers may charge more'. Many people do not want or need BT lines and why are government organisations allowed to give so much free promotion to BT services to protect themselves from using the old 'Local Rate Call' blagging fiasco? The Jobcentre now use similar tactics.

To further my digust, there are adverts everywhere about illegal mincabs and the risks of rape. Journey Planner offers an invaluable service to somebody needing to get home safely, particularly late at night. It was even very easy to use from a payphone for somebody who has no mobile credit.

I really am sickened by this. The revenue share will go to replace the money creamed off by cowboy maintenance firm Metronet who left a £1 bllion deficit and no doubt a brown envelope has changed hands somewhere in the Telecoms World dealings.

Absolutely disgusted by this one.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #79 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:07am

mc661 wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 11:31pm:
I have all the internal LUL numbers on a PDF, including emergency numbers, which I found left on a train one day (heh heh).

Problem is I dont know if to release them on here, for several reasons including that TfL might get sh**y and get a takedown order against this site purely because of people using emergency numbers.

"These numbers are for use by transport professionals e.g. TOC, Freight, Network Rail, London Buses Controls as the primary contact point for the Network Operations Control - the NOC will recognise the incoming call as a request, advice or instruction from an external (to LU) transport professional. THESE NUMBERS ARE NOT TO BE RELEASED TO ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC"

Surely one should ask oneself if any of these numbers represent usable alternative ways of accessing public contact points that are otherwise accessed using revenue sharing numbers. As I understand it, that is the purpose of this site. If the reason for them "not to be released to any member of the public" is simply to protect revenue share income then this would be a battle that many would be prepared to join.

A straightforward reading of the quoted description suggests that these numbers are of no use to the general public anyway. Whilst arguments about security, service quality and suchlike are used to protect release of usable alternative numbers, that is not to say that any or all such arguments are false.

I sincerely hope that the site does not countenance publication of numbers that are not for public use, as this would give it a very different role.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010 at 5:08pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #80 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:16am

I think to be honest the numbers on this document are for controls and emergency contact purposes.
It does however have a one-stop contact for all control related purposes.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #81 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:54pm

Members may be interested in this blogging on premium rate public transport information lines:

http://leytr.blogspot.com/2010/10/premium-rate.html

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #82 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 7:35pm

Anyone looking for a geographic number to ring for public transport information in London, look in the database.  Wink

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #83 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 3:25pm

Dave wrote on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 7:35pm:
Anyone looking for a geographic number to ring for public transport information in London, look in the database.  Wink

Genius!! Thank you so much!!! I use this service a lot and I am really grateful!!

A slight tangent, but still relevant. Please have a look at this page, the full contacts for TFL (of course all now 08 numbers)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/contact/4417.aspx

Take note of the Dial A Ride section where it states:

'To make a booking: Call us on 0845 999 1 999 (or 020 7309 8900, if your telephone provider charges extra for 0845 numbers)'

And

'To enquire about the progress of your vehicle: Call us on 0845 300 4717 (or 020 7309 0015 if your telephone provider charges extra for 0845 numbers)'

And

'To give feedback about Dial-a-Ride: Call us on 020 7446 0251'

I definately appreciate it is the more vulnerable people that use this service and this is possibly why both numbers are provided.

However... I personally am not legally allowed to drive because I suffer from seizures. So despite the fact I have to use public transport for health reasons, I am still expected to call a premium number to discuss any aspect of my journey.

I really wanted to quote this in a complaint to reinforce that 020 numbers should be provided for all department, but I declined due to worries they would pull the plug on the 020 number for Dial A Ride as well!!

What do you guys think?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #84 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:49pm

floella2 wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 3:25pm:
I really wanted to quote this in a complaint to reinforce that 020 numbers should be provided for all department, but I declined due to worries they would pull the plug on the 020 number for Dial A Ride as well!!

What do you guys think?

This is a very clear acknowledgement that not all callers benefit from the fact that BT is prohibited from adding its own charges to the premium applied when calling 084 numbers. (A few others copy its charges.)

The amount of money gained is so petty in the context of the general cost of a service like dial-a-ride that I cannot believe there would be any risk of the alternatives being withdrawn.

There can be functional benefits in using non-geographic numbers, so having a 0845 with a geographic alternative is not always a possible approach. All service providers, who cannot justify themselves levying a charge for telephone access, should use 03 numbers when the technical features that are more readily available with a non-geographic number are of benefit.

Noting the admission in respect of the dial-a-ride numbers, one should ask how the premium charge for most callers is justified where 084 numbers are used.

The 034x equivalent is available for a simple migration (or as an alternative) for every 084 number, and may be adopted within the term of an existing telephone service contract.

Some may have special needs, indeed the least wealthy are less likely to have landlines, but this is about basic equity for all, not about privileges for some (e.g. BT customers!).

IP Logged

catj

Reply #85 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 4:36pm

The October 2010 edition of the London tube map promotes only the new 0843 number now.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2010 at 4:36pm by catj »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #86 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 1:17am

There is now a FOI TfL response to a query submitted by an "I Madder".

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tfl_helpline_0843_222_1234

I also have submitted a short FOI request to the same body, and expect a reply next month. I will post any response on the FOI discussion forum.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

markpantelli

Reply #87 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 10:53am

There is an 0203 number that goes straight through to TfL's call centre for enquiries for travel, which is

0203 054 4040

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #88 - Dec 20th, 2010 at 11:10am

markpantelli wrote on Dec 20th, 2010 at 10:53am:
There is an 0203 number that goes straight through to TfL's call centre for enquiries for travel, which is

0203 054 4040

Hello and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

Thank you for this information. I already listed a suitable alternative which is (020) 3283 6509. The previously listed 3283 6500 is now not recognised, which rather suggests that TfL is actively disabling numbers published on this website.

I should point out that there is no such STD code as 0203 and that it's usual convention to put a space between code and local number. It has never been 0203, 0207 or 0208 as the last digit of each of these (3, 7 and 8) are in fact the first digits of local numbers.

The code for London has been 020 for over ten years now. Anyone with a London number can pick up the phone and ring any other London number using eight digits.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2010 at 11:12am by Dave »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #89 - Dec 30th, 2010 at 1:58am

That number is for TfL streets management.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge