Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Thanks for this site (Read 220,718 times)
Debz

Re: Thanks for this site
Reply #60 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 5:25pm

So pleased to have discovered that other numbers are available!! Was informed about this site by my dad and I feel so smug knowing that I'm not lining the pockets of these greedy companies... particularly when I'm chasing up errors that THEY have made with my account.

Everyone should know about this- I can't believe the cheek of all these companies letting us think the £6 a minute calls are the only option! Never again!!

THANK YOU Smiley

IP Logged

vadek

Reply #61 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:08am

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! A very useful web site with a direct, practical, money-saving purpose. There aren't many of those around.

Keep up the good work.   Smiley

Regards,
David

IP Logged

uranian

Reply #62 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 12:24pm

just another thankyou. i've been using the site for years now, and it's saved me a lot of money. i'm guessing that the keen money savers here know about the joys of voIP anyway, but a particularly useful voIP provider to me has been poivy (it's good as free calls to landlines numbers in about 20 or 30 countries). cheaper than skype, and no i'm not associated with the company!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #63 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:48am

Dave wrote on Aug 3rd, 2009 at 6:14pm:
The most effective way to get defunct numbers removed is to post on the forum in the Geographical Requests section. For more information, see my previous comments on this here.

Why can't the original contributor of an alternative number also be given a username and password on the site that would allow them to maintain and update that number/listing?

As the original contributor of a number is frequently aware when the geographic number alternative or the 084/7 number is altered this would surely greatly reduce the number maintenance burden for the forum's management and also keep the list of alternative numbers on the site more frequently and more accurately updated.

And by the way contrary to certain assertions of the forum moderator I do contribute new alternative numbers to this site and contributed two new ones only yesterday for Dewsbury Auto Salvage and A1 Jap Spares.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:57am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #64 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 1:39pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:48am:
Why can't the original contributor of an alternative number also be given a username and password on the site that would allow them to maintain and update that number/listing?
I'm speaking from my own perspective here but I can imagine that, although this is a good idea, the programming logistics behind this would be a nightmare.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #65 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 1:42pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 11:48am:
And by the way contrary to certain assertions of the forum moderator I do contribute new alternative numbers to this site and contributed two new ones only yesterday for Dewsbury Auto Salvage and A1 Jap Spares.

I have verified both these entries. I note that both these companies publish their 01 numbers on their web sites and that the 0871 numbers are only two digits apart, so it's likely that they were brought into service by an unconnected third party.

We know that restaurants in particular suffer from this where they are listed in restaurant guides, and it should not be mistaken that the organisations themselves opted to use rip-off numbers.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #66 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 2:09pm

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 1:39pm:
I'm speaking from my own perspective here but I can imagine that, although this is a good idea, the programming logistics behind this would be a nightmare.

bbb_uk its certainly extremely good to hear from you again after all this time. Smiley

You may well be right in what you say but as our esteemed forum owner Daniel now so rarely makes a post on the site any more its hard to be sure.  I do recall that in his last significant post on this website Daniel alluded to a whole bunch of site improvements he was working on although I'm not clear which if any of those were ever finally implemented?

Also it should not be forgotten that the introduction of the Unverified Numbers feature to the number listings actually occurred not long after my own suggestion that it was just not practically possible for the management team to have the necessary time required to verify all numbers submitted to the site and that many good number alternatives that members could be using were being lost in the then many months long wait for number verification.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2010 at 2:10pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Peasant

Kent
Re: Thank You
Reply #67 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:00pm

Shiggaddi wrote on Jul 22nd, 2005 at 6:55pm:
The only draw back to this is that when companies realise their geographical number was obtained from here they're going to purposely change their geographical which would then make it next to impossible to obtain their new geographical.

...We're not after a free lunch here.  We only want to pay the same price for calling an insurance company, and bank, as for calling your friends and family.

Most of the very large companies, such as Sky, or Barclaycard know exactly what they're doing with 0870....

You can use the international number provided by many companies to avoid 0844s etc. such as +44 (0)1604 614 015 for Barclaycard http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/contact-us/  What they don't tell you until you ask is that as a retailer the PDQ machine that they supply to process customers' cards automatically dials a premium rate g6 number once a month to upgrade the software in it.  OK it may not amount to much, it is the principal.  I have raised a complaint about it Angry  They're not going to change the number (08448222015) with over 70,000 customers even @17p/33secs, that's nearly £12,000 which obviously, they can't afford to forego. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Thank You
Reply #68 - Dec 15th, 2010 at 7:04pm

Peasant wrote on Dec 15th, 2010 at 6:00pm:
What they don't tell you until you ask is that as a retailer the PDQ machine that they supply to process customers' cards automatically dials a premium rate g6 number once a month to upgrade the software in it.  OK it may not amount to much, it is the principal.

Hear, hear.  Although I would say that it is also an "unfair contract term" as they do not give you any other choice of contract package in which you can pay more for the service but only have to use normal rate phone numbers in return.  ADT pull the same scam with my mother's burglar alarm by using an 0871 number for any alarm activation calls dialled by the alarm unit.  But if she had a choice would she have agreed to the use of an 0871 number - no of course not.  In other words a scam because most people are still not even aware that 0844 and 0871 numbers are premium rate phone numbers (as defined by the dictionary regardless of what Ofcom or PhonePayPlus may claim).

What is needed with these jokers like Barclaycard is for a whole group of customers to take a class action law suit against them.  But because the individual sums of money from the calls are relatively small even though the total amount of revenue share earned by Barclaycard is very large unfortunately nobody seems willing to take the risk of legal action.

<div style=

IP Logged

Sapporo

Reply #69 - May 17th, 2011 at 1:29pm

Smiley Hi

Like everyone else, thank you for this site.

Kind Regards
Sapporo

IP Logged

Brum23

Reply #70 - Jun 5th, 2014 at 10:17am

Great site!

Keep up the good work!

John

IP Logged

John4000

Reply #71 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 9:58pm

I came to know about this site when Martin Lewis wrote about it a few years ago.
Since then I have been an occasional visitor and each time it has saved me money, sometimes quite a lot of money.

Thanks for all your hard work and that of your contributors.

Keep up the good work

Regards

John

IP Logged

vk2003

Reply #72 - Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:01am

It's now 2021, and it has been some time since anyone posted a thanks...

I for one still use Saynoto0870 periodically, and still find it a most useful resource.

I would like to thank the site administrators for maintaining such a helpful website.

vk2003

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #73 - Aug 20th, 2021 at 9:23pm

vk2003 wrote on Jul 16th, 2021 at 10:01am:
It's now 2021, and it has been some time since anyone posted a thanks...

I for one still use Saynoto0870 periodically, and still find it a most useful resource.

I would like to thank the site administrators for maintaining such a helpful website.

vk2003

Hi there vk2003,

Welcome to SayNoTo0870.com,

Apologies for the delay in replying, as you can see there's not a lot going on here these days.  We do however really appreciate the feedback, and encourage you to come back and post if you ever need any help or to report and isssues with numbers.  Thanks again  Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge