Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Nationwide Building Society (Read 222,789 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Nationwide Building Society
Reply #105 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 9:08am

NGM's Ghost, I think the reason you received the paper form from NatWest is to do with this wretched govt's stupid money laundering regulations, my husband had the same thing with Premium Bonds, they advertise you can buy them over the phone but then won't/can't action them until they have received back the signed & dated form!   I often wonder how long before we have to give DNA to put our own money in an account, the temptation when asked "where did you get this money?" to reply "robbing a bank" is almost overwhelming but I suspect even this post could be investigated now by govt busybodies!

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #106 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 9:17am

Interestingly, when you open an account with Yorkshire Building Society, you can open this on line without a single scrap of paper. I have opened two accounts with them myself and my wife has opened one and it is all instantaneous. Very impressive. (I was extrememly lucky to have opened a 13 month fixed bond last December at 6.3%, just before the rates collapsed.) the instant account is very easy to run and to make a deposit you just use your 'switch' card Smiley

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #107 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 9:24am

Barbara wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 9:08am:
NGM's Ghost, I think the reason you received the paper form from NatWest is to do with this wretched govt's stupid money laundering regulations, my husband had the same thing with Premium Bonds, they advertise you can buy them over the phone but then won't/can't action them until they have received back the signed & dated form!   I often wonder how long before we have to give DNA to put our own money in an account, the temptation when asked "where did you get this money?" to reply "robbing a bank" is almost overwhelming but I suspect even this post could be investigated now by govt busybodies!

Barbara,

No in this case it is pure bureaucratic incompetence by NatWest as I am an existing customer who they already know and have all the money laundering ID for and I opened the account while having gone through the log in procedure to NatWest online banking.

The form I was sent by NatWest in the post was not one requesting confirmation of my identity but one asking for a signature to initiate a transfer from my current account to this so called "E-ISA" account (an instruction I had already given online when opening the account).  I ignored the form and on the advice of their online banking helpdesk staff transferred the money manually using online banking two days after I had gone through the account opening sequence online as by then the account was accepting manual online transfers of money in from my current account through the online banking screens.  But if I had gone off abroad for 3 weeks thinking I had already opened the account and put £3,600 in it when I opened it I would have lost 3 weeks interest........

Hence clearly there was no need for the postal correspondence and forms.  All it means is more cost for them in postage out and return postage back (reply paid envelope) and the much more expensive cost of staff time to process each manually sent back transfer request form.  This is money they are wasting that they could be using to pay their account holders a higher rate of interest. Shocked Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #108 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:22pm

Looks like Nationwide are losing a lot of customers.

NGM, who, if you don't mind me asking, do you bank with for normal banking (ie current account)?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #109 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 7:43pm

bbb_uk wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:22pm:
Looks like Nationwide are losing a lot of customers.

They'll be losing another one in August when the 3 year variable rate bond I have with them (and which is now down to 1.6% gross) matures.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2009 at 7:46pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #110 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 9:31am

Whilst we are having a moan at the banks, is there any reason in this day and age, other than to rip us off, that it takes five days to electronically transfer a few bob from one account to the other? Huh

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #111 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:05am

sherbert wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 9:31am:
Whilst we are having a moan at the banks, is there any reason in this day and age, other than to rip us off, that it takes five days to electronically transfer a few bob from one account to the other? Huh

It only takes 5 days if you do it after say 5pm on a Friday where you miss that day's clearing point and there is also a weekend involved.  So it could take up to 7 days If you start the process at 6pm on the Thursday before Easter.

But I believe that is why Fastpay in real time transfers are being introduced is it not?

NatWest have already implemented this fully for ordinary electronic transfers in and outbound but surprise, surprise Nationwide only honours Fastpay inbound and still insists on the full 3 working days for outbound payments.  Nationwide think they might finally introduce Fastpay for outbound payments in June (there again the date might slip again Wink ).  Of course Fastpay only works between the major banks and building societies that are signed up to the scheme, some of whom (Nationwide) are dragging their heels as long as they can about fully implementing it.

See www.apacs.org.uk for more information.

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #112 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:13am

Yup, I have heard of this, however have yet to experience it. Just transferred some dosh from Yorkshire Building Society to my bank and it says it will take five days. I have two Mastercards and when I pay them from my bank on line it takes four or five days to reach the destination account.....ridiculous. One of the Mastercards is a Marks & Spencer one and if I  pay the bill by cash in one of their stores, it is credited the next day.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #113 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:44am

sherbert wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:13am:
Yup, I have heard of this, however have yet to experience it. Just transferred some dosh from Yorkshire Building Society to my bank and it says it will take five days. I have two Mastercards and when I pay them from my bank on line it takes four or five days to reach the destination account.....ridiculous. One of the Mastercards is a Marks & Spencer one and if I  pay the bill by cash in one of their stores, it is credited the next day.

Then Yorkshire BS have not implemented Fastpay for outgoing payments.  If I transfer Money to my Egg Mastercard from  Natwest it arrives the same working day.  Same if I top up my Co-Op Cashminder account to buy Ryanair flights using my NatWest online banking.  Arrives within minutes.

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #114 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:50am

Obviously Lloyds TSB or whatever they call themselves now have not implemented it either as that is the bank that where I pay my credit cards Sad
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:51am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #115 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:45am

sherbert wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:50am:
Obviously Lloyds TSB or whatever they call themselves now have not implemented it either as that is the bank that where I pay my credit cards Sad

If Yorkshire have not implemented Fastpay (or are not part of it at all) then it won't help if Lloyds TSB have.

<div style=

IP Logged

reserved

East Sussex
Reply #116 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 4:59pm

sherbert wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 10:50am:

I transferred some money from my A & L current account into my Lloyds TSB account and it was there as soon as I had logged in to check! Smiley

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #117 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 5:08pm

So, I assume from these replies, that both institutions that one deals with, must be signed up to Fastpay to make it work? Undecided

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #118 - Apr 22nd, 2009 at 8:28pm

sherbert wrote on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 5:08pm:
So, I assume from these replies, that both institutions that one deals with, must be signed up to Fastpay to make it work? Undecided

Or put another way if one isn't playing ball (eg Yorkshire BS who seem to be resisting Fastpay like Nationwide) then it doesn't help that the party you want to pay does play ball regarding Fastpay (i.e. Lloyds).
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2009 at 8:29pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #119 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 5:42pm

bbb_uk wrote on Apr 14th, 2009 at 5:54pm:
...Halifax/BoS use geographicals for local branches....
Am I going mad?  I could have sworn that Halifax used geographical numbers when I checked their website before posting the above but upon checking their website again now, they use 0845 numbers.

Have they just moved over to 0845 now as well or am I going mad? lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge