Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT SAYNOTO0870.COM ?? (Read 275,886 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT SAYNOTO0870.COM ??
Dec 17th, 2004 at 1:43pm

Hi,

If you are new to the forums, please take the time to let us know how you found out about the site.

Was it on the Radio, in the newspaper etc....

Thanks in advance,
Daniel
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2004 at 1:43pm by Forum Admin »  

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: WHERE DID YOU HEAR ABOUT SAYNOTO0870.COM ??
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 2:21pm

I became aware of this scam just after BT announced the removal of the BT Standard tariff. It became apparent that there was more to the change than met the eye.

A line rental increase of 43%, short evening and weekend calls costing more than daytime ones along with the promotion of 'free' services like BT 1571, and ofcourse 084x/087x excluded from all these 'benefits'. Lips Sealed

Thanks to someone posting info on Saynoto0870 on The Scream! Forums. Smiley

I think that it calls in to question the effectiveness of the regulation. Premium rate numbers have been allowed to be used by scammers who plant internet dialers on victims' computers or send them email or text messages telling them they've won a prize. Why hasn't it been policed from day 1? This is fraud and wouldn't be allowed if it were a credit card. So why has the regulator allowed it on PRNs?
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2004 at 2:41pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

andymoo

Liverpool but not a chav
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 5:19pm

I'm on the ICSTIS mailing list and got the email yesterday about the latest fines and so on being imposed, I saw the name on there a couple of times of two companies which I can't stand (2ergo / norbridge) so started Googling, a click and another click and I was here.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2005 at 8:10pm

Martin Lewis' site; I expect most of your new visitors could come from there

IP Logged

David Mastin

London
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 1:54pm

The Daily Mail of all places(my wife buys it,seems silly not to read it).

David A Mastin

IP Logged

Webranger

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 10:26pm

In yesterday's Daily Mail. They have highlighted this 'scam' for a while but quoted your url in an article yesterday.

Thx for a great service.

IP Logged

purplezogg

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 10:38am

I heard about saynoto0870 from the article in the Daily Mail, I am so taken with this site I have emailed everyone I know with a link! I have made a list of all the numbers I use frequently (you can copy & paste the table into word easily), printed it off and stuck it by my phone. I have an all inclusive package from onetel, so all geographical calls are free. Keep up the good work, and spread the news well done to the people responsible for the site!! Cheesy

IP Logged

franko

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2005 at 6:22pm

daily mail....its fantastic i cant wait to tell more people
i just checked my last months telephone acc and i could have saved at least £6.00
i will in future...whats the chance of companies doing what dvla are trying.....franko Smiley

poooo

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 10:19pm

I found your site on Google, I had long been a follower of the cause!

Last year I had a reason to ring DVLA on numerous occasions, but I refused to ring them on 0870, never have and never will.

I had a site "Rip-off 'phone numbers" but closed it down when I saw yours.

I had at least one success http://www.pervance.com/Facts/Facts_1/Comments/hotels.html  They had an 0870 numer before they altered the ad.

The trouble I think is that it is getting a bit dangerous to take on the powers that be now. They know that we are against them. The new directory was delivered to my door on Sunday. It clearly states that 0870 costs "Up to 7.91 pence a minute".  This is the tactic they will use to sue one of us and then our case is gone.

It is no use complaining that they did not tell any one that they had put it down to 7.51 pence.

Anyway the very best of luck.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

MF

My site does not contain any advertisements and is not about 0870 but I would appreciate a mention when appropiate.

The reference to you site is here http://www.pervance.com/html/0870.html

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 12:01pm

Heard about you on You & Yours on Radio 4.

Never understood the point of 0990 and 0870, even before the inclusive minutes packages came in. Local customers got overcharged and national ones paid the same as they would have anyway. Since then of course, it's become much worse.

Now I just don't understand the point of OFCOM. What's it doing for the consumer, apart from helping to keep them confused?

Great service anyway, guys.

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 4:05pm

Quote:
Never understood the point of 0990 and 0870, even before the inclusive minutes packages came in. Local customers got overcharged and national ones paid the same as they would have anyway. Since then of course, it's become much worse.

Likewise I have been aware of the scam for a very, very long time ever since it was possible for me to route calls with other carriers like AXS Telecom using their indirect access code (1615) in about 1997/1998.  From that point on I could make national daytime geographic uk calls for 2p per minute with AXS but 0990/0870 was costing me 7.9p per minute.  I also then noticed that BT would not even allow Friends & Family discounts for 0870 numbers and that this was deliberate policy and not a mistake.  It also seemed a further outrage when BT Options 2 and 3 were launched but 084/087 calls were excluded from these call allowances.

So I have been aware for many years of the issue and have complained regularly to the BT Chairman's Office  and OFTEL only to get the response that 0870/0845 call routing systems were so expensive to develop that they had special extra costs.  So strange that the same BT now say they could afford to carry 0845 and 0870 calls at no extra cost if Ofcom requires this.

When BT's corporate greed finally caught up with them by trying to get all their CPS customers to have to pay a massively increased line rental to subsidise BT's dumbest customers (those too lazy to route their calls elsewhere) that was really the last straw.  I couldn't believe that BT were actually dumb enough to propose this (from that moment the writing was obviously on the wall for 0845 and 0870) and even more gobsmacked when the supine Ofcom said to their friends at BT that this was no problem.  I realised then that Ofcom were either totally incompetent or more likely simply in bed with BT.

Its disappointing that some of our forum moderators have only been aware of this issue for such a short time, although obviously encouraging that they have at least had the energy to go and do something about it.

IP Logged

coolsparx

Forest Of Dean, Glos
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2005 at 10:35pm

Martin Lewis website

IP Logged

dad2711

kent
Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2005 at 6:45pm

Hi was on bbc south east news have all ready add some numbers and found some for my self keep up the good work

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

lily

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 6:31am

Found it on an Info.com search.  I had been aware of them problem for some time, but no one seemed to understand what I was on about!

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2005 at 9:09pm

I bacame aware of the original dbjnet site in early 2003 via the Moneysaving Expert site (Martin Lewis), because Daniel posted on the Moneysavingexpert forum and gave his url.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge