<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
What will Ofcom do? (Read 64,784 times)
grimp

Re: What will Ofcom do?
Reply #45 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 2:29pm

Ofcomwatch is an informal group blog commenting on the processes and practices of the Office of Communications (Ofcom) and related media and communications regulation issues both in the United Kingdom and around the world.

Ofcomwatch is an equal opportunities blog with no overarching agenda. All political leanings and viewpoints are welcome. So our mission is also yours if you choose to accept it.

Accordingly Ofcomwatch is open to all. Want to blog? E-mail for access – blog@ofcomwatch.co.uk

Ofcomwatch aims to provide an independent, informal, non-partisan, well written, easily readable, occasionally humorous online resource.

Ofcomwatch also aims, over time, to form a discursive current of opinion that results in new perspectives and progressive thinking in regard to media and communications regulation in the United Kingdom.

Ofcomwatch encourages a wide range of representatives and stakeholders to join and participate in its discussion – journalists, community media groups, media and (tele)communications professionals, consumer groups, academics, lobbyists, charities, civil servants, politicians, lawyers, regulators and anyone else with an interest.

Ofcomwatch hopes to be seen by the Office of Communications (Ofcom) as a positive online resource – bolstering the regulators own (and the legislative) demands for external accountability whilst embracing the essence of democratic grassroots/community media activism.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 2:44pm

Quote:
Ofcomwatch is an informal group blog commenting on the processes and practices of the Office of Communications (Ofcom) and related media and communications regulation issues both in the United Kingdom and around the world.

Ofcomwatch is an equal opportunities blog with no overarching agenda. All political leanings and viewpoints are welcome. So our mission is also yours if you choose to accept it.

Accordingly Ofcomwatch is open to all. Want to blog? E-mail for access – blog@ofcomwatch.co.uk

So the axe you were grinding was actually for the merits of Ofcomwatch rather than the merits of Ofcom.

Apologies for this.  Clearly my misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2005 at 2:44pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

grimp

Reply #47 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 2:57pm

Apology accepted and just in case anyone was wondering I don't have any connection to this site.

I just think that it's unlikely that a select group of people are able to cover all aspects of Ofcoms work or influence their decisions. It is better for people to work together than on their own. 

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #48 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 9:00pm

Yes but to get back on topic - what will Ofcom actually do? Will it solve the current problems from the consumer point of view. Doubtful I still think because the government control Ofcom, Ofcom seem to have some unseverable (sorry about the spelling) alleigance (or obligation?) to BT, and the government do not want to lose the effective "additional stealth taxes" which they are making from revenue-sharing NGNs.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #49 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 3:23pm

Ofcom must stop callers paying premiums to the telcos supplying these numbers. See Ofcom and banning revenue sharing. That way they can be aligned to normal geographical rates. Any compromise would result in the whole fiasco continuing. 084/087 providers would simply give companies other 'benefits' instead of handing over revenue, which the caller will be indirectly financing. This happens with the BBC at present where their 0870 numbers pay for their freephone numbers. This gives NGN providers even more room to make more dirty profits.

IP Logged

grimp

Reply #50 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 9:27am

Quote:
Ofcom must stop callers paying premiums to the telcos supplying these numbers. See Ofcom and banning revenue sharing. That way they can be aligned to normal geographical rates. Any compromise would result in the whole fiasco continuing. 084/087 providers would simply give companies other 'benefits' instead of handing over revenue, which the caller will be indirectly financing. This happens with the BBC at present where their 0870 numbers pay for their freephone numbers. This gives NGN providers even more room to make more dirty profits.

Due to all the crap that Ofcom produces about being a light touch regulator I can't see them banning these numbers. I don't think that Ofcom would be prepared to face the wraith of all the companies that use 08 numbers having to change their stationary, signage, advertising etc... unless their was some sort of compensation from the Government but we all know that won't happen.

I think the best way forward is to raise the stigma attached to these numbers especially by public bodies. We have already seen the numbers banned from Dr's so just keep up the pressure on the other public sector organisations.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #51 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 11:35am

If all 087x/084x numbers ceased to be revenue sharing, and then had the characteristics of 01 or 02 numbers,  organisations that did not wish to share revenue, could continue to use them – with no need to change any letter headings.

If all revenue sharing numbers are confined to the 09 range, only organisations that required revenue sharing would need to change to an 09 number.

From information I have obtained using the FOI Act, some organisations only receive a small revenue from the use of 087x numbers.  It is clear that they are being ripped off by their own telecom provider, and would not need to move to an 09 number – or they may be reluctant to move to 09, as revenue sharing would be out in the open; shame may well stop them.

087x and 084x numbers are successful as they are clandestine revenue sharing numbers and offer organisations an opportunity to make a hidden profit from the unsuspecting (or captive) caller.

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005 at 2:26pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 11:43am

Indeed a number of operators are nervous about Ofcom's continuing researches and enquiries alerting their customers to the level of (lack of, in some cases) revenue share; they cite the high level of service offered, "ignoring" what might be available on 01/02 and VoIP.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #53 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 5:47pm

OK, so when are we going to have Ofcom's decision on the NTS consultations?  Roll Eyes

Its been 11 months since the consultations were published and nearly 9 months since they closed. Is there no limit on how long it can take it to decide? IIRC, Matt Peacock said "early 2005" on Radio 4's You and Yours. Well it's now "late 2005" and still nothing.

Surely the point of the consultation was to 'improve' the current system. The longer it takes Ofcom to address these matters, the longer they are allowed to go on as is. Not only that, its decisions will be based on the responses written nearly a year ago!

OK, so there are many other things we can knock Ofcom for, but nearly a year to decide is ridiculous! I think that this point needs to be pushed with MPs and MEPs etc.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:03pm

Quote:
OK, so when are we going to have Ofcom's decision on the NTS consultations?  Roll Eyes

Its been 11 months since the consultations were published and nearly 9 months since they closed. Is there no limit on how long it can take it to decide? IIRC, Matt Peacock said "early 2005" on Radio 4's You and Yours. Well it's now "late 2005" and still nothing.

In mid August Matt Peacock told BBC Radio 4's You & Yours program that their next NTS consultation (which will probably last another year)  would be published in early September.  Now it is late September...................and only a few weeks before that Mr Peacock was quoting an end August date.  Soon the Xmas season will be upon us rulling anything out before January....................

I would bet there is an almighty row going on between those at Ofcom who want to be seen to be tough by implementing the full BT recommendation (namely that all 0870 and 0845 numbers are charged at geographic rates and thus no longer revenue share) and those who say Ofcom must remain "light touch" and not upset any business contracts beween telecoms companies and call centres.  There may also be government ministers involved now as the government must be well aware just how politically sensitive an issue this has become.  They might have a business instinct to let the scamming continue but at a certain point they will have to yield if the public and media outcry becomes too much.

Ofcom know that if they are seen to be too weak they will be challenged on fulfilling their basic remit to protect citizens and consumers and there may be demands for the resignation of the CEO of Ofcom.  On the other hand they don't want to be too tough because then various people at Ofcom may not be thanked by their former business colleagues in the telecoms industry when they need to apply for another job there.  And don't forget how important it often is to be Thanked in many parts of life (as for instance if you are a poster over in the MonseySavingExpert forums Wink).

It is however an utter disgrace that Ofcom should still allow BT to get away with using the terms Lo-Call and Local Rate to describe 0845 and the terms National Call and/or National Rate to describe 0870 calls.  Unlike changing the actual revenue share arrangements banning the description of these numbers as Local and National rate this could easily have been done with immediate effect back on 1st July 2004 (when BT abolished Standard Line Rental and made BT Option 1 a compulsory minimum).

But then Ofcom have almost never in their entire history been reknowned for any form of bold or consumer friendly direct action.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #55 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:13pm

Quote:
OK, so when are we going to have Ofcom's decision on the NTS consultations?
I wrote to Ofcom just yesterday asking this very same question together with a date when the last NTS focus group notes will be made available. So far, no response. The usual pattern with my communication with Ofcom relating to NTS is that it ignores my request until I submit it a second time as a FOI request. If no reaponse to what is a very simple request is received by Tuesday, it will be submitted as a FOI. What a crazy situation.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #56 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:29pm

Quote:
Ofcom know that if they are seen to be too weak they will be challenged...

But nearly a year later; it's almost as though Ofcom's just putting it off hoping it will go away.

It has severely underestimated the time it needed to decide. Why?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 6:53pm

Quote:
But nearly a year later; it's almost as though Ofcom's just putting it off hoping it will go away.

It has severely underestimated the time it needed to decide. Why?

Because unlike people in business Ofcom don't get fined or get fired if they continually fall down on meeting the deadlines that they claimed to be working too.  And they have to fit in all those lengthy holidays that their substantial salaries allow them to regularly take.

Personally I can't see why they needed more than 3 months max to do their consumer research and write another report. And of course the longer they delay means the longer the telecoms companies get to continue putting millions of pounds a day into their pockets.

Perhaps this little email I just received in response to somthing I just sent to Geoff Brighton suggests nothing further is likely to be forthcoming next week?  Alternatively Geoff has in fact finished his work so next week will indeed see Ofcom's announcement.

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Brighton [mailto:Geoff.Brighton@ofcom.org.uk]
Sent: 23 September 2005 18:43
Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: Deletion from Ofcom Website of Submission by Leicester City Council Trading Standards Dept

I am now out of the office until Monday 3 October
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:39pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #58 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:28pm

NGM, I notice that the subject line in your email to Geoff Brighton is to do with the removal of Leicester County Council's TS response to a consultation on 0845/0870 numbers.

The link to it doesn't work, but as seems to be the case with Ofcom, it moves things around on the website and can't come up with a way of leaving the URLs for documents alone. It's rather like coming up with a telephone numbering plan and then changing it because the plan doesn't suit.

The document you refer to can be found here.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Sep 23rd, 2005 at 7:37pm

Quote:
The document you refer to can be found here.

Dave,

Many thanks as ever for your help.  It only goes to show there are few similarities indeed in personality type between two people who share the same first name Wink

Its strange the document is still in fact there when a use of Ofcom's Search function for "Leicester City Council" and "price indication" produced no result.  How exactly did you manage to find it?

Still it would be stupid of me to think that Ofcom ought to be good with the management of information!

My suggestion to Matt Peacock was in fact that Ofcom's CEO was possibly trying to revise history in a somewhat Stalinist manner (of course I suppose Ofcom may well choose to see this as being as politically incorrect as some of my previous German historical analogies!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge