Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
USA -  Non-Geographic codes (Read 75,379 times)
trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: USA -  Non-Geographic codes
Reply #30 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:16pm

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 5:34pm:
This will clearly depend upon the provider! For example, my local service ... . There is no simple answer - call costs will vary,

Thanks, idb.  I realise that different providers will vary, but I thought maybe there was a common trait between providers as to certain call types being more/less expensive than others.

As I've said in another message, it was just curiosity as to whether all geographic area codes within the NANPA generally cost the same or differ according to the area.

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 5:34pm:
however it is easy obtaining the info. Try that in the UK with 0844 12 and 0844 23 and 0844 34 etc where call charges vary depending on the fifth, sixth and possibly seventh digit. Look on cellular providers' web sites and try to determine call costs to these numbers in advance and see how difficult it is. Here, because we don't have this nonsense, call charges are clear an easy to find!

To be fair, it's generally fairly easy to find costs of geographic calls in the UK (which is what we were talking about here) - and for 99.9% of callers, they are the same for any geographic call within the U.K., so won't vary according to the area code.
It's also usually fairly easy to find the cost of international calls from the UK.

Incidentally, I was surprised that, in your example, calling Canada can be cheaper than calling long-distance within the US.

On the other hand, I'm certainly not going to try to defend the tarriffs for 084x & 087x numbers, nor the variation between different codes, nor the difficulty of finding the costs.  I tend to regard those as premium numbers (which they are in all but name) - and for any premium number you do have to look up the costs carefully - if you can find them.  I assume that premium numbers within the US are also different costs for different call types / different numbers?

I just went into the BellSouth.com website to try to find the cost of US 900 xxx xxxx calls - no doubt I probably wasn't looking in the right place - but I couldn't find any info about the cost of such calls, only that they are excluded from many/most calling plans and that they are referred to as "non-regulated".  So on my very non-scientific survey of one site  Tongue, it wasn't easy to find the cost of US premium rate calls either.   Tongue

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #31 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:23pm

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 6:03pm:
For local calls from my provider, they are unmetered. For calls within my area code that are outside the local charge area, calls are charged at a flat rate per call (it's either 10c, 20c or 25c, I can't recall without getting an old phone bill, and I'm not concerned about the charge). Long distance will depend upon the given LDD plan, if any.

For all geographic calls - to anywhere within the U.K. - with 1899, the calls are unmetered at a flat rate of 3p (about 5.25c) per call.  For a call to the US or Canada, I pay 0.5p/min (less than 1c per min).

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #32 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:23pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:16pm:
I just went into the BellSouth.com website to try to find the cost of US 900 xxx xxxx calls - no doubt I probably wasn't looking in the right place - but I couldn't find any info about the cost of such calls, only that they are excluded from many/most calling plans and that they are referred to as "non-regulated".  So on my very non-scientific survey of one site  Tongue, it wasn't easy to find the cost of US premium rate calls either.   Tongue
PRS call charges are set by the provider of the service and are not specifically related to the numbering. For example, a call to a technical help desk may be charged at $5 per minute, another at $3 per minute. The costs are indicated on the advert or other promotional literature. This is why you won't get a figure from Bell South or indeed anyone else as the costs vary according to the service on offer. Many, perhaps most, 900 numbers are used for 'adult services'. I'm sure a google search will reveal more info on this!

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:28pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:23pm:
idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 6:03pm:
For local calls from my provider, they are unmetered. For calls within my area code that are outside the local charge area, calls are charged at a flat rate per call (it's either 10c, 20c or 25c, I can't recall without getting an old phone bill, and I'm not concerned about the charge). Long distance will depend upon the given LDD plan, if any.

For all geographic calls - to anywhere within the U.K. - with 1899, the calls are unmetered at a flat rate of 3p (about 5.25c) per call.  For a call to the US or Canada, I pay 0.5p/min (less than 1c per min).
Indeed, but just how many UK *businesses* or *organizations* (not individuals) actually use geographic numbering these days? Very few. To carry out routine, day-to-day activities by phone, you invariably have to call a NGN. Here we either call toll-free (0c/min) or local (0c/min). Try calling BA, NatWest or Sky with 1899 and see how much you'll pay (as you already know). Here we can call virtually any customer service organization for nowt.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #34 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:33pm

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:23pm:
PRS call charges are set by the provider of the service and are not specifically related to the numbering. ... The costs are indicated on the advert or other promotional literature. ...

I think that here the 09x numbers probably have to show the cost on any advertising - but you can also look up the cost from the first part of the number - essentially the same as the 084x & 087x numbers, except that with those they do not have to show the cost in any advertising, although they are now being encouraged to.
The main issue in all of this is, I think, that 084x & 087x are effectively premium rate services where the cost is not explicit.  If they were 09xx numbers (as they should be), I don't think we would be having this discussion.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #35 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:41pm

Well it seems to me that neither telephone plans are perfect and the UK could learn from how the US do it and vice-versa (only in certain aspects though).

The lack of disctinction (with regards to call charges) between local and national rate, I believe has made our numbering system (geographicals anyhow) easier.  Before this it was hard to determine what was local and what was national with regards to area codes/STD codes.  I know BT's website does help you to determine what is local and what isn't for those few on Light User Scheme.  I don't remember Telewest having a similar thing to determine what they classed as local and national although they were probably same as BT's.

I agree that our 0800/0808 range known as freephone is ok the way it is but the rest of our numbering range is completely and utterly messed up beyond comprehension in some cases!  We have 0844 costing various amounts and in some cases more than an 0845.  Then there is 0871 which again can cost various amounts upto 7.51ppm (0870) / or upto 10ppm (0871) but in most cases these 087x numbers are generally the same cost for the price-band they are in.  It is impossible to determine from the first few digits or our whole 084x/087x range just what they will cost and what makes it worse it is often difficult to actually still obtain these costs from landline companies nevermind mobile networks.

As idb has pointed out, it is almost impossible to get accurate price information on calls to NGNs from mobiles - the worst is 0844 - simply because mobile networks charge more for these calls (a lot more in most cases) so they go out their way to hide the cost of such calls so as not to put people off ringing them.  All this despite the fact that they are under obligation to publish their tariff costs to such numbers which when I contacted ofcon over this they agreed but as usual with ofcon they just responded saying that they are looking into it and it will be mentioned in a forthcoming consultation (which it was in the NTS Way Forward).  Basically, even though they are under obligation to display this information, ofcon was trying to get out of forcing this upon them for as long as possible.

I agree that the local/LDD thing even within the same state appears confusing which is why I think ours is easier (like I said geographicals only though).

The reason why in the States, calls charges are lower for calls from mobiles and calls to toll-free numbers are actually free from mobiles is because the cost of this is ofset against the income the US networks get when they charge the person who is actually receiving the call as well as the person making the call.  At least over here we only get charged for outgoing calls and not receiving them like the US but of course this comes with a price and this is the high cost of calls to NGN's, premium rate, freephone numbers, and to a lesser degree, calls to landline numbers.

IDB, what is the average cost of line rental in the States for comparitive reasons to what we get charged here (£11 by BT)?

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #36 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:44pm

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:28pm:
Indeed, but just how many UK *businesses* or *organizations* (not individuals) actually use geographic numbering these days? Very few.

I don't think it's fair to say "very few".  A lot of smaller or medium size businesses do still use geo numbers.  I think it's primarily - but certainly not exclusively - the 'call centre type' & big businesses that use NGNs  - altho' often the ones you have to call a lot.

Here we can call virtually any customer service organization for nowt.

Yes, and as I hope you realise by now, I'm not going to defend that.  But, as I said before, I think that's as much down to customer (non-)service ethos and what they can get away with - which they wouldn't get away with in the US. The availability of 'hidden' pseudo-premium numbers certainly doesn't help that situation tho'.

Incidentally, a couple of months ago, I needed to send a parcel from UK to US by courier.  I called FedEx because they had an 0800 number - but it connected to India and the service / knowledge of the operator was *c*r*a*p*, so I gave up on them and called another company, with an 0845 number, and got far better service!  So freephone is not always advantageous!   Tongue

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #37 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:48pm

bbb_uk wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:41pm:
IDB, what is the average cost of line rental in the States for comparitive reasons to what we get charged here (£11 by BT)?
I do not know the average cost within the US, but my Bell South bill, which provides unmetered local calling within the local area and 25c flat rate per call drop within the county outside of the local area, with CLI, ACR, basic voice mail and call waiting is $41 per month. Take off around $8 per month to exclude the extras (CLI etc). So, just over $120 per quarter, or 68 pounds per quarter. I have no idea of the current cost of BT basic line rental, but I believe it to be less than what I pay here. Nevertheless customer service from Bell South is excellent - you actually speak to someone who knows the area and is not situated thousands of miles away. Having been through three hurricanes, with most utility wiring exposed to the elements, they do a great job here in sunny FL.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:52pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:44pm:
Indeed, but just how many UK *businesses* or *organizations* (not individuals) actually use geographic numbering these days? Very few.

I don't think it's fair to say "very few".  A lot of smaller or medium size businesses do still use geo numbers.  I think it's primarily - but certainly not exclusively - the 'call centre type' & big businesses that use NGNs  - altho' often the ones you have to call a lot.

Fair comment, although even the small and medium businesses are now being missold NGNs by the NGN scammers under the pretext of 'local' and 'national' call rates.

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:44pm:
Here we can call virtually any customer service organization for nowt.

Yes, and as I hope you realise by now, I'm not going to defend that.  But, as I said before, I think that's as much down to customer (non-)service ethos and what they can get away with - which they wouldn't get away with in the US. The availability of 'hidden' pseudo-premium numbers certainly doesn't help that situation tho'.

Totally agree

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #39 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:56pm

Main domestic BT packages:
Option 1 - GBP 11.00 per month, including evening & weekend geo calls at 5.5p for the first hour per call.
Option 2 - GBP 16.50 per month, including free evening & weekend geo calls
Option 3 - GBP 25.50 per month, including all geo calls free up to 1 hour.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #40 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:00pm

I know the details will depend on the plan and provider, but as a general rule, are calls FROM cellphones the same price or more expensive compared to calls from landlines in the US?

If more expensive, what about calls from cellphones to PRS numbers?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:00pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:16pm:
I just went into the BellSouth.com website to try to find the cost of US 900 xxx xxxx calls - no doubt I probably wasn't looking in the right place - but I couldn't find any info about the cost of such calls, only that they are excluded from many/most calling plans and that they are referred to as "non-regulated".  So on my very non-scientific survey of one site  Tongue, it wasn't easy to find the cost of US premium rate calls either.   Tongue
Consumer protection on 900 calls is very strong (compare to ICSTIS). Local service providers cannot disconnect local service for non-payment of 900 call charges. 900 call charges can be removed from the bill if unpaid for 60 days. Oral notification of disputed 900 charges is sufficient to trigger a billing review where no payment is required during that review. The billing review must be completed within 90 days. If the billing was correct, you get a written notice of the amount and the due date. If you fail to pay, you may be reported as delinquent with collection efforts taking place, however you cannot be disconnected from your local or long distance servcice provider. All 900 services have to comply with federal laws and regulations. 900 blocking can be obtained free of charge.

All print, radio, and television advertisements for 900 number services must include:

the total cost of the call if there's a flat fee;
the per-minute rate if the call is charged by the minute, as well as any minimum charge. If the length of the program is known in advance, the ad also must state the total cost of the complete program;
the range of fees if there are different rates for different options. The ad also must state the initial cost of the call and any minimum charges;
the cost of any other 900 number to which you may be transferred; and
any other fees the service might charge.

This information can't be hidden in small print: The cost of the call must be next to the 900 number and printed in a size that's at least half the size of the 900 number. In a television ad, an audio cost disclosure must also be made.

From the FTC web site:

Billing Errors and Disputes
The 900 Number Rule has procedures for resolving billing disputes. Always check your telephone bill for 900 number charges. For each 900 call, your statement should include the date, time, and, for services that have per-minute rates, the length of the call. These charges must appear separately from local and long distance charges. Your statement also must include a local or toll-free number for questions about your pay-per-call charges.

Under FCC regulations, the phone company cannot disconnect your regular local or long-distance service if you don't pay a 900 number charge. However, you could be blocked from making future calls to 900 numbers if you don't pay legitimate 900 number charges.

If you find an error on your bill, follow the instructions on your statement. They will tell you who to call or write to dispute the charge. In most cases, it will be your local or long-distance telephone company, but it could be the 900 number company or an independent firm that provides billing services for that company.

You must notify the company listed on your bill within 60 days from the date the first statement containing the error was sent. The company must acknowledge your notice in writing within 40 days unless it has resolved the dispute by that time. Within two billing cycles, but no longer than 90 days, the company must:

correct the billing error and notify you of the correction, or
investigate the matter and either correct the error or explain the reason for not doing so.
A company cannot charge you to investigate or respond to a billing dispute. No one can try to collect the disputed charge from you — or report it to a credit bureau — until the company handling the dispute either has corrected the error or explained its reason for not doing so. Companies that don't comply with these rules lose their right to collect up to $50 of each disputed charge.

However, even if the 900 number charge is removed from your bill, the service provider might pursue the charge some other way, such as through a collection agency. If so, you have additional rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #42 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:07pm

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:00pm:
Consumer protection on 900 calls is very strong

Yes, I inferred that from what you said before.
It was this on the BellSouth site that prompted my earlier comment:
Quote:
Question: What are non-regulated charges?
Answer: Non-regulated charges are those charges which are not controlled by the?FCC or your state public utilities regulatory agency. Examples are 900 call charges, MemoryCall? usage and service charges.

Presumably that's talking about something else.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #43 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:09pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:00pm:
I know the details will depend on the plan and provider, but as a general rule, are calls FROM cellphones the same price or more expensive compared to calls from landlines in the US?

If more expensive, what about calls from cellphones to PRS numbers?
Again, I can answer by example. My cellular provider, which in my case is Cingular GSM, but others are similar, charges $60 per month for 500 minutes anywhere within the US and unlimited night (after 9pm) and weekend calls to anywhere in the US. This is shared across two handsets (me and the Mrs), and I can use the service anywhere where there is coverage (known as domestic roaming). Billing is in one-minute intervals. Calls to voicemail incur airtime. Incoming calls are charged at the same rate as outgoing. Unused minutes are rolled over. Unfortunately there are lots of taxes to add on, especially in FL, so my monthly bill is around $79 which includes 9.6k data access.

Many people here have dispensed with a landline as the costs from a cellphone are reasonable and there is no need to worry about what is long distance. Some plans do not allow roaming and there is a large range of options and plans, just as in the UK. Unfortunately a lot of calls are dropped due to capacity reasons, esp after 9pm!

I would never call a 900 number from a landline let alone a cell phone, so I have no idea whether any additional charge is made. As I stated earlier, call charges to PRS are set by the provider with the phone company usually acting as a billing and collecting agent. 900 numbers really are uncommon for general day-to-day activities.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:12pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:07pm:
idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:00pm:
Consumer protection on 900 calls is very strong

Yes, I inferred that from what you said before.
It was this on the BellSouth site that prompted my earlier comment:
Quote:
Question: What are non-regulated charges?
Answer: Non-regulated charges are those charges which are not controlled by the?FCC or your state public utilities regulatory agency. Examples are 900 call charges, MemoryCall? usage and service charges.

Presumably that's talking about something else.
The FTC governs the activities of telephone companies, and this will include the billing and collection of 900 charges. The FTC has real power, unlike the ICSTIS cronies that seem to come from the PRS industry!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge