Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
USA -  Non-Geographic codes (Read 75,614 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: USA -  Non-Geographic codes
Reply #45 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:17pm

bbb_uk wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:41pm:
I agree that our 0800/0808 range known as freephone is ok the way it is but the rest of our numbering range is completely and utterly messed up beyond comprehension in some cases!  
The problem here is that 0800 and 0808 are not universally free. From mobile phones they are excluded from bundled minutes and providers such as Vodafone actually charge a premium for calling such numbers despite receiving a small payment for terminating such calls in the first place! So, it is beneficial for people to seek out geographic alternatives not only for 0870 but for 0800 as well when calling from cellphones. What a ludicrous situation yet the blithering idiots in Ofcom take no action. As far as I know, I have never had to pay for a 800 call here, from landline, payphone or mobile (although airtime charges apply from cellular). Toll-free here means what it says. In the UK, it may mean free but it may mean a surcharge. Bonkers.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:30pm

Full info on 900 compliance is here:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/900number.htm

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #47 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 9:05pm

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:17pm:
The problem here is that 0800 and 0808 are not universally free. From mobile phones they are excluded from bundled minutes and providers such as Vodafone actually charge a premium for calling such numbers despite receiving a small payment for terminating such calls in the first place! ... Bonkers.

Agreed.  But this is not a issue with the Numbering Plan - it's an issue with the tarriffs & OfCon.

I've always thought that the issue of mobile freephone calls not being free is down to our mobile model of "Caller pays", as contrasted with the US model of "Receiver pays".  But now I realise that that's to do with calls TO mobiles, not calls FROM mobiles.

I'm not defending it, but I suppose the argument goes something like this: Company with freephone number agrees to pay cost of calls from regular landlines; calls from mobiles cost more than calls from landlines; Freephone company will not pay extra cost of calls from mobiles, so caller has to!  But that still doesn't explain why they cannot be included in 'included minutes'.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 9:16pm

trevord wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 9:05pm:
I'm not defending it, but I suppose the argument goes something like this: Company with freephone number agrees to pay cost of calls from regular landlines; calls from mobiles cost more than calls from landlines; Freephone company will not pay extra cost of calls from mobiles, so caller has to!  But that still doesn't explain why they cannot be included in 'included minutes'.
My understanding is that the recipient of the 0800 call, ie the party that pays for the transit, does not pay any additional charge irrespective of the origin of the call, so if the recipient pays 3p per minute for inbound 0800, it will pay 3p/min regardless of the originating network used. My further understanding is that mobile providers receive a small payment for terminating so-called free calls. I will defer to someone with superior knowledge on this matter though for an authoritative answer.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #49 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 9:21pm

bbb_uk wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:41pm:
I agree that our 0800/0808 range known as freephone is ok the way it is but the rest of our numbering range is completely and utterly messed up beyond comprehension in some cases!
The problem here is that 0800 and 0808 are not universally free. From mobile phones they are excluded from bundled minutes and providers such as Vodafone actually charge a premium for calling such numbers despite receiving a small payment for terminating such calls in the first place! So, it is beneficial for people to seek out geographic alternatives not only for 0870 but for 0800 as well when calling from cellphones. What a ludicrous situation yet the blithering idiots in Ofcom take no action. As far as I know, I have never had to pay for a 800 call here, from landline, payphone or mobile (although airtime charges apply from cellular). Toll-free here means what it says. In the UK, it may mean free but it may mean a surcharge. Bonkers.
I agree but everyone is aware that freephone isn't free from mobiles because mobiles were forced to have a tariff announcement at the beginning of the call (before being charged) so as to warn people.  Although not ideal, it is still better than what exists now for other non-geographicals where they charge a premium but without informing us consumers of the costs beforehand.  The networks moan that they couldn't introduce such notification on other non-geographicals without it costing a fortune for them but at the same time they all ready have a similar system in operation for freephone so how hard can it be to expand on this?  I suspect probably not hard but the mobile networks obviously have no interest in informing us consumers that a 0845 call may actually cost them 35ppm to ring from their mobile network compared to around 3ppm from a BT landline.

Like I said in my previous post here, you get charged for receiving calls as well so therefore you mobile networks receive more income than the UK counterparts hence reason why we pay more for outgoing calls especially to non-geo's.  I still prefer not to pay to receive incoming calls given a choice between your system and ours.  I would like to believe that our mobile networks would lower their outgoing call charges (especially for non-geo's) if they also received income from us receiving calls on their network - ie the way the US mobile networks work now.
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2006 at 9:23pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #50 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 10:45pm

Trevord asked an interesting question in a previous post:-

Quote:
On a different tack, when calling a Canadian area code or another non-US (e.g. Carribean) area code from the USA, is the call charge the same as calling a long-distance USA area code?

It does depend on the provider, as I think IDB has indicated. I ditched BellSouth and went VoIP on my cable broadband, and my provider allows 'unlimited long distance and local calling minutes to anywhere in the USA and Canada' for $199.00 per year (about 9.50 pounds per month).  I should also add that is the actual price I pay - there are (currently!) no hidden taxes and charges, unlike the conventional landline providers like Bellsouth (soon to be, once again, AT&T!). You also can talk at any time - unlimited means what it says. No hidden charges after one hour like BT!

Jamaica looks like it is about 24c/min; Barbados about 18c/min and Bahamas about 8 or 9c/min. So, just because they are in the same numbering system, they are not domestic - they are still treated as "international". (For comparison, UK is 2.2c/min and Australia is 3c/min for landline calls. No one off charges per call, and calls charged by the second)

However, I should add a note of caution here. Last year, I was required to make some (lengthy) calls from my cellphone to a number that I didn't recognise terminating in Canada (my ignorance not being a native!). For various reasons, I don't subscribe to direct international service with my cellphone - it is far too costly compared to my VoIP service, and besides, I can use a calling card with the cellphone to make very cheap international calls via a local number. If I was to attempt to call a UK number directly, for example, it would be blocked. However, the Canadian calls weren't - and when I got the account, it caused a fair amount of interesting expletives when I saw them charged at $1.50 per minute! When I asked the cellphone provider why I had been "allowed" to make calls to an International destination, they replied that Canada wasn't considered an International destination for blocking purposes ....  but was for charging purposes.....!!

See - they try it on everywhere!!  Grin

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #51 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:02am

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 6:03pm:
For local calls from my provider, they are unmetered. For calls within my area code that are outside the local charge area, calls are charged at a flat rate per call (it's either 10c, 20c or 25c, I can't recall without getting an old phone bill, and I'm not concerned about the charge). Long distance will depend upon the given LDD plan, if any.

So you may have three charging rates, as it were; local, non-local within area code and long-distance. But some numbers may be local in other areas codes.

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:23pm:
PRS call charges are set by the provider of the service and are not specifically related to the numbering. For example, a call to a technical help desk may be charged at $5 per minute, another at $3 per minute. The costs are indicated on the advert or other promotional literature. This is why you won't get a figure from Bell South or indeed anyone else as the costs vary according to the service on offer. ...

It sounds like the UK's telecommunications industry could take a leaf out of the US' book. So there's none of the nonsense here like "Other providers may vary."

idb wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 8:00pm:
... 900 call charges can be removed from the bill if unpaid for 60 days. ...

What are you saying? If one doesn't pay their 900 bill then after 60 days the charges can be removed?

From the FTC web site:

Billing Errors and Disputes
The 900 Number Rule has procedures for resolving billing disputes. [...] Your statement also must include a local or toll-free number for questions about your pay-per-call charges.

Unlike the UK where it's considered acceptable to rip the consumer off again with an 0870 or 0871 number. Roll Eyes

If you find an error on your bill, follow the instructions on your statement. They will tell you who to call or write to dispute the charge. In most cases, it will be your local or long-distance telephone company, but it could be the 900 number company or an independent firm that provides billing services for that company.

So do you have two telephone companies? Why does it say "it will be your local or long-distance telephone company"?

Also, what it's saying is that you may dispute the charges with your telephone provider or with the service provider directly, depending on what it says.

However, even if the 900 number charge is removed from your bill, the service provider might pursue the charge some other way, such as through a collection agency. If so, you have additional rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

...and with the UK's numbering system you have to write to the 'service provider' and ask for your money back.

Bearing in mind that some of these are overseas, 'rouge' diallers and 'prize winning' scams being two examples of the worst kind, one clearly cannot hold out much hope of receiving any refund, as well as the concern that one must pass certain personal details to the service provider in order to get this refund.

Which brings me nicely onto the next question. Do you get overseas service providers operating on US premium rate numbers? And what about the rogue dialler scams, do they exist in the US?

...As far as I know, I have never had to pay for a 800 call here, from landline, payphone or mobile (although airtime charges apply from cellular). Toll-free here means what it says. ...

How can a call be free and airtime charges apply? Surely that is a contradication; either it's free or not!

If all numbers within a particular area code are seven digits, why does the UK, being a smaller country, require eight digit local numbers, as is the case in London, Coventry and others? If seven digits is enough for one or more states, then doesn't that show mismanagement of the UK's telephone numbers?

Going back to the subject of 900 numbers, the fact that they cost the same from all providers means that there isn't competition between providers on premium rate call costs, unlike in the UK. However, that free competition is somewhat of an Ofcom pipedream, as the number of people who will choose their telephone package based on what 09 numbers cost are likely to be non-existant. Thus, telcos can charge pretty much what they like as they usually 'sell' packages by shouting about their geographical rates.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 10:35am

Ok, which country's non-geographic numbers shall we do next?

Germany, France, Ireland, Spain, Australia? Does Australia have any?

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #53 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:13am

Dave wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:02am:
If all numbers within a particular area code are seven digits, why does the UK, being a smaller country, require eight digit local numbers, as is the case in London, Coventry and others? If seven digits is enough for one or more states, then doesn't that show mismanagement of the UK's telephone numbers?

That's a fair question, and I've often thought the same.  I think there's several reasons:

There is a lot more reduncy in the UK numbering system than in the N.American one.

In the UK, the numbers are banded (or grouped) into the various number types by a prefix digit (1 & 2 = geo; 7 = mobile, etc.; 8 = 'special'; 9 = premium; etc.), whereas in the US they have simply used available area codes to specify the number types (e.g. 800 = toll-free, but there are also numerous standard area codes beginning 8; 900 = PRS, but again numerous standard area codes beginning 9).  This necessarily introduces redundancy, e.g. in the UK very little of the 8xx range is used, and none of certain other ranges.  OTOH, in my personal view (and I know others disagree) it introduces more clarity to the number type (with certain noted exceptions like 070x, 084x, 087x, etc.!).

London is a big area, and until recently there were two area codes in London (0171 & 0181) with 7 digit numbers.  I believe that large metropolitan areas in the USA (say New York) have multiple area codes (are these what they call 'overlay' codes?) and that in practice you need to dial the full 10-digit number to access another NY number, even within the same area.  So a single area code for London, I think, covers a larger number of lines than a US area code.

In most of the non-metropolitan areas of the UK, of course, local numbers are only 6 digits, with (effectively) a 3-digit area code (ignoring the 0 prefix, equivalent to the N.American 1- long-distance prefix, which they do not count as part of their number; and ignoring our 1 prefix which merely denotes a geo number).

I think we also still have a lot of redundancy within non-metropolitan local area codes for historical reasons.  For example, within my local area (01403 Horsham), most of the town numbers begin 2 and most of the out-lying village numbers begin 7 or 8 because those were originally local village exchanges with short numbers and local access codes (which had to be distinct from the town numbers); hence a local number beginning 79 still denotes my local village exchange.  I believe the N.American numbering system overall is a lot older than ours and, I guess, they have filled the gaps in more over the years, whereas the UK has adopted a different approach to systemisation & expansion by increasing number lengths and area sizes whilst retaining the basic historical numbers.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #54 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:46am

andy9 wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 10:35am:
Ok, which country's non-geographic numbers shall we do next?

You choose!   Cheesy

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #55 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:51am

Dave wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 9:02am:
...and with the UK's numbering system you have to write to the 'service provider' and ask for your money back.

That's nought to do with the numbering system - it's to do with the regulatory regime!
O.K. they're both done by the same regulator - but they could improve the regulatory regime without changing the numbering system!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #56 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 1:29pm

trevord wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 11:13am:
There is a lot more reduncy in the UK numbering system than in the N.American one.

At the level of full 'national' numbers, there is, yes. That is, 03 and 04 isn't used, most of 08 is unallocated and so on.

However, at local level, within certain STD codes, there is a scarcity of numbers (see pages 16 to 22 of The National Telephone Numbering Plan).

Note how those cities that changed to 011x format codes in 1995 (at the same time 1 was inserted into other area codes) still have plenty of capacity. For example, Sheffield is now 0114 and six digit local numbers were prefixed with 2. There are some 'national dialling only' numbers (of the form 0114 0 and 0114 1) and some starting 0114 3, so that leaves 5 million numbers starting 4 through to 8.

Contrast this with Coventry's eight digit numbers. They were six digit local numbers, so why weren't they moved to a five digit code with seven digit local numbers like Sheffield? Is Ofcom expecting a sudden inrush into Coventry?

London is a big area, and until recently there were two area codes in London (0171 & 0181) with 7 digit numbers.  I believe that large metropolitan areas in the USA (say New York) have multiple area codes ...

I think that the solution in London with one code is better than two, even if it is a different length than others.

The other difference between the US and UK that is relevant here is the fact that mobiles use geographical numbers. So there will be many more numbers needed within each code.

Also, isn't it a contradiction in terms to have mobiles using geographical numbers? I mean, a geographical number, by definition, relates to a particular location. So do you get a number local to where you live for your mobile in the US?

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #57 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Dave wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 1:29pm:

At the level of full 'national' numbers, there is, yes. That is, 03 and 04 isn't used, most of 08 is unallocated and so on.
However, at local level, within certain STD codes, there is a scarcity of numbers (see pages 16 to 22 of The National Telephone Numbering Plan).

Agreed - I was referring to the overall scheme there, not local pockets.

Contrast this with Coventry's eight digit numbers. They were six digit local numbers, so why weren't they moved to a five digit code with seven digit local numbers like Sheffield? Is Ofcom expecting a sudden inrush into Coventry?

I wondered that!  Or maybe expanding the Coventry area to include other West Midlands areas?

I think that the solution in London with one code is better than two, even if it is a different length than others.

Agreed!

The other difference between the US and UK that is relevant here is the fact that mobiles use geographical numbers. So there will be many more numbers needed within each code.

True - hadn't thought of that aspect.

Also, isn't it a contradiction in terms to have mobiles using geographical numbers? I mean, a geographical number, by definition, relates to a particular location. So do you get a number local to where you live for your mobile in the US?

Yes - I've always thought that - and nearly said so yesterday, but thought I'd already made enough criticisms of the NANPA!  Cheesy

Yes, I think you do get a number local to where you live - but that can be a problem if you move house to a different area code, as my brother has done.  It also affects the cost of calls both to and from the cellphone, bearing in mind they distinguish between local & long-distance rates.

Looking at it another way, as Texans like to boast, Texas is bigger than the UK, so roaming outside a state there is like roaming outside the country here - and then we pay roaming charges.

(When I lived in Jersey, at certain points on the Jersey coastline, the mobile connected to the French or Guernsey networks instead of the Jersey one, and then you had to pay roaming charges even while within your own country!)
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:08pm by trevord »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #58 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:38pm

This page explains what 'overlay' codes are.

Quote:
HOW DO GEOGRAPHIC SPLITS AND AREA CODE OVERLAYS AFFECT THE WAY LOCAL CALLS ARE MADE?

With a geographic split, local calls are still made by dialing seven digits. This applies to both the area that retains the existing area code and the area that receives the new area code. All local rates remain the same.

However, the FCC has required 10-digit dialing between and within area codes in the geographic area covered by an area code overlay. This means that every local call, even if it is a call to someone in the same area code as the caller, must be dialed using 10 digits.

WHY IS 10-DIGIT DIALING NECESSARY WHEN AN AREA CODE OVERLAY IS IMPLEMENTED?

The FCC argues that 10-digit dialing will protect competition in the overlay area. This is because a local dialing disparity would occur without 10-digit dialing. Existing telephone users likely would remain in the old area code in order to utilize seven-digit dialing, while new users receiving the overlay code would have to dial 10 digits to reach any customers in the old code.

Under this scenario, phone customers would be less likely to switch to a new company if the company had to give them a telephone number with the new area code. Those customers would have to dial 10 digits much more often than an incumbent Bell company's customers. Also, all customers would be required to dial 10 digits to reach people who have new carriers when they would only have to dial seven digits for most of their other calls.

So two (or more) area codes are in operation in the same area! As a result, one cannot dial numbers without a code. This is where different length codes are better.

A search of NANPA website for overlay area codes reveals a whole host of press releases relating to the introduction of various area codes. So for those people living in those places with overlay codes, they will never dial 7 digit local numbers ever again.

Am I right in saying that in these circumstances, subscribers make a local call by dialing 10 digits (ie WITHOUT the leading 1)? In which case, there is infact spare numbering capacity which can never be used because the 1 isn't compulsory when dialing a code, unlike its 0 equivalent in the UK.

For those long distance calls, the code must be prefixed with 1. Have I got this right?

Isn't this a backward step that a so-called numbering plan ends up with a hotch-potch of unrelated codes overlapping in one area? Thus, they are not codes, but prefixes for numbers as they must be dialed as one. Surely it would make more sense if they would bite the bullet and add another digit to all local numbers.

trevord wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:07pm:

I wondered that!  Or maybe expanding the Coventry area to include other West Midlands areas?

In a similar fashion, I have read that the 029 code (currently used for Cardiff) may be used for the whole of Wales. So is this good or bad to have 3 digit codes covering large areas such as Wales and Northern Ireland and still have others that have 5+6 numbers?

trevord wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:07pm:

Yes - I've always thought that - and nearly said so yesterday, but thought I'd already made enough criticisms of the NANPA!  Cheesy

Yes, I think you do get a number local to where you live - but that can be a problem if you move house to a different area code, as my brother has done.  It also affects the cost of calls both to and from the cellphone, bearing in mind they distinguish between local & long-distance rates.

But in the US the mobile networks are more like the patches on a patchwork quilt, are they not? So you may move from one part of the country and have to change providers, or is that more to do with roaming, something that you have to do when you move about the country anyway?
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006 at 2:42pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #59 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 4:16pm

There are some 'national dialling only' numbers (of the form 0114 0 and 0114 1)
_

No there aren't; they are masked off. Numbers that start with 0 or 1 are not allocated within exchanges - these initial numbers are for national dialling only, as you said. This is surely to avoid a call within the exchange being confused with a national number, eg neither 118xxx nor 189901 should be a local number on my exchange, nor the much loved Bedford number 012345 [67890].

I didn't think that local numbers starting in 9 were allocated either, but have used an Oxford one a few times now. Presumably these became virtually available a few years ago when local dialling codes were abolished, eg 9, 983, 992 etc.
_

It isn't a contradiction to have a local number for US mobiles. The tariffs are the same to call them, so why have any difference - in fact a local number is actually desirable, to make it cheaper (free) to call, including call diversion from home. If/when people move to a different area, they can apply for a new local number. Yes, there are national and regional cell networks, so in some cases they might need to change provider.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006 at 5:20pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge