Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
Send Topic Print
London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number (Read 330,010 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number
Reply #45 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 2:56pm

Ignoring for one moment the cost element of calling 0870 and the revenue stream generated, I feel it is vital to stress that there is no GUARANTEE that 0870 numbers are terminated by foreign operators (yes, some will, some won't, some will but usually charge a very high rate). This is freely acknowledged by Ofcom, on its web site, and in a FOI response to myself last month. I believe this is a key element in this specific instance given London is an 'international city' and that the bureau could reasonably expect to receive international inbound traffic. If you need more info, send me a message.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 3:02pm

I've just had a call back from PITO. Although no geo number was forthcoming, the individual did offer to help and could give numbers for local police stations etc. He did appear to be unaware that 0870 numbers have no guarantee of international termination - perhaps PITO has been duped by C&W (national rate garbage etc). Anyway the PITO rep was pleasant and helpful. The Met was rude, arrogant and uncaring. PITO confirmed it had received my FOI request, so I'll leave it at that. My MP has also received a copy of the complaint I have made to the Met, to Ofcom and to the Home Office. I have also complained to the embassy in DC.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 3:02pm

Alisa Beaton, the young dynamic Director of Information at the Metropolitan Police, is the person most likely to be made to carry the can on this by Sir Ian Blair and his more senior colleagues at the Met.  The reason being that she is on the Pito main board - see www.pito.org.uk/aboutPITO/organisation/board/index.htm - that took this quite appalling decision.

The membership of the Pito board makes for interesting reading because its Chairperson is none other than Chris Earnshaw, former Group Engineering Director of BT.

Once you factor that into the equation then the quite appalling decision to use an 0870 number for this emergency contact centre becomes much easier to understand!  I wonder how many shares Mr Earnshaw still owns in BT?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 3:10pm

PITO have to appear helpful in this situation as they are just about to hung out to dry by the Met.  They have to make it look like it was all just a terrible mistake.  But knowing that a former BT director is Chairman of their main board I personally don't believe a word of it!  They know exactly what 0870 numbers are all about.

The old boots who work on the Police switch boards are always rude to customers.  It is part of their macho we know best culture.

But if you approach them from the other direction at the highest level as someone moderately important in the local community that they have to be respectful to then they can appear to be quite helpful.

The Met are currently trying to pass the buck entirely to Pito on this although as I understand it Sir Ian Blair and his colleagues at the Met are not actually obliged to make use of Pito's services.  So ultimately the buck on this stops with Sir Ian.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #49 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 3:43pm

Would be great if anyone here can check the shareholder's register of BT to cross-check names. It would start to get really meaty if folks are found to have finger in pies...

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 4:01pm

Here is a copy of my letter to Phillip Webb, CEO/PITO sent this morning:

For the attention of Phillip Webb, Chief Executive Officer, PITO

CC Martha Wooldridge, Director of Communications, PITO
CC Tom McArthur, Director of Operational Services, PITO
CC Geoff Brighton, Ofcom NTS
CC Matt Peacock, Ofcom Communications
CC Sir Ian Blair, Commissioner, Metropolitan Police
CC Alisa Beaton, Director of Information, Metropolitan Police
CC The Home Office, Public Enquiries Office

Dear Mr Webb,

Yesterday, as a result of explosions in London, the Metropolitan Police issued a casualty bureau number that begins 0870. Such numbers are designed to generate revenue for either the provider, which I believe in this case to be C&W, the end-user of the service, or for both parties in a shared revenue scheme. Typically a daytime weekday call to an 0870 number will generate around four pence per minute in revenue. It is my understanding that PITO is partially or completely responsible for making arrangements with C&W to provide the casualty bureau number.

Ofcom, the UK regulator, acknowledges that the use of non-geographic numbers, of which 0870 is an example, may preclude those that live, work or travel overseas from being able to place a call from an overseas network. The following statement from Ofcom was supplied to me as a result of an FOI request made earlier this year:

"Ofcom is aware that callers may experience difficulty in accessing UK non-geographic numbers from outside the UK. This results from uncertainties over financial returns for routing between international operators caused by the variable cost of calls and imbalances between charges that can be retained or passed on through international arbitrage. UK residents dialing the non-geographic numbers of other countries from the UK frequently experience the same or similar problems. Individual countries do not normally permit access to non-geographic numbers from overseas. This is because these services are differently priced from geographic services and it is impossible for an operator in the originating country (which in many cases may not be transmitting the international part of the call) to know what the appropriate price and for the correct amount to be passed via several carriers and be paid to the terminating operator. " 

I am willing to make the full Ofcom document available on request. 

To summarize, there is no guarantee that calls from overseas to non-geographic numbers will be terminated. 

Why has PITO allowed a revenue-generating 0870 number to be used in such a serious situation? It is my understanding that the bureau was taking 42,000 calls per hour after initial set up. Given extensive queuing systems in place, this is a significant amount of revenue being generated as a result of a tragic incident. More importantly, the lack of planning to allow callers from overseas to connect to the bureau, particularly when they may be suffering great distress, is simply inexcusable.

I would contrast the attitude of PITO, the Home Office, The Metropolitan Police and Ofcom in giving out revenue-generating telephone numbers with what was achieved by the State Department here yesterday for concerned American citizens. A toll free number (888-407-4747) was given for those calling from within the United States and a standard geographic toll number (202-501-4444) in Washington DC was provided to terminate international originated calls. The comparison with what happened in the UK couldn't be greater. 

Whilst I accept that some calls originating from overseas will terminate on non-geographic numbers, there is no guarantee this will happen. I also do not accept that providing an 0870 number is the only method of handling large numbers of calls. The NTS regime would allow 0800 to be used for such an event with a geographic overlay for international callers. Equally, geographic numbers may also be used to intelligently route calls and perform other call handling capability that is possible with non-geographic calls.

As a British citizen resident overseas, I cannot dial the casualty bureau as my long distance provider does not route calls to non-geographic numbers for exactly the reasons given by Ofcom above. This problem will be repeated in many other countries and by many other telecommunication providers outside the United Kingdom. 

PITO, in common with some other agencies and departments, has been grossly negligent in preparing for this incident in the provision of a call center  that cannot accept many calls from overseas. I expect immediate action to be taken including the revealing of a standard geographic telephone number that will permit international inbound calls to be terminated.

In conclusion, the use of revenue-generating numbers after an incident when people have died, have had limbs amputated and suffered other horrific injuries is simply reprehensible. Someone within PITO has to take responsibility for this major failing. I also expect all revenue generated from this number to be used to help the victims of these explosions rather than ending up in C&W shareholders' pockets. 

I will be sending a copy of this email to my Member of Parliament in the United Kingdom. 

Many thanks,
(address)
Sunny Florida, United States of America
Date July 8, 2005 (Eastern Daylight Time)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 4:14pm

Excellent letter idb.  I couldn't have done it any better myself.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #52 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 4:46pm

According to her page, she is Ailsa Beaton, although Alisa Beaton brings up some results in Google. I presume that the met's page on her is the correct spelling, so the email will be ailsa.beaton@met.police.uk - http://www.met.police.uk/about/beaton.htm

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 4:54pm

Here is the reply I have just recived on this matter from Ailsa Beaton, Director of Information at the Met.

You will see that it passes the buck entirely back to Pito for a number that is being published and publicised exclusively by employees of the Met and the London ambulance service.

What Miss Beaton does not reveal in her email is that she is actually on the Board of Directors of Pito.  But of course their decision to use this number is apparently nothing at all to do with her.  How convenient.

Here is her email:-

--------------------------------------------------------------------

From:- Ailsa Beaton, Director of Information, Metropolitan Police 

Your recent request to the Commissioner for information concerning the procurement and use of revenue-sharing phone numbers by the MPS was passed to me this morning. 

In your e-mail communications you have raised a number of issues of concern surrounding the use of these numbers. You have also requested information concerning the procurement process and contractual arrangements for the phone number currently being used by the MPS Casualty Bureau in response to the atrocities of yesterday. 

Information concerning the procurement and contractual arrangements for the use of this and similar numbers by the police service is held by the Police Information Technology Organisation (PITO). PITO have provided this number for the use of the police service.   

I appreciate your concern for a swift response in this matter and have therefore arranged transfer of your request this morning to PITO who will respond in due course, seeking further clarification as is appropriate.   

My staff will, of course, work with PITO to respond in the shortest possible timescale where it is established that the information you have requested is held exclusively by the Metropolitan Police Service. 

I anticipate that PITO will make contact with you shortly to confirm receipt of this request. 

Should you require further advice or assistance in the interim, please contact the MPS Public Access Office on 020 7161 3500 quoting the reference 2005/07/xx.

Ailsa Beaton

Director of Information

Metropolitan Police Service

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #54 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 6:04pm

I'm not sure of this but under the FOI act are we able to ask (obviously in a month or so) just how much money they've made from people ringing this number and where it was all spent? Was it passed to charity or pocketed by our beloved government?

As I don't see how they can say its not in our (the public) interest!

(PS: I find it difficult to put 'beloved' and 'government' together like that - lol)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 6:22pm

Yes, that is a valid question. Other agencies have provided answers to similar questions.

IP Logged

bendipa
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 6:45pm

It's better not to waste your breath complaining to the Police, or London Mayor.  At best you'll get a fob-off standard response. At worst, they won't bother to reply.

It's better to complain to your MP about this.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: London Bombing 0870 emergency number
Reply #57 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:33pm

Good News!

From one of my many emails I sent earlier on, I've received a reply back from Ailsa Beaton on behalf of the Commissioner, as follows:-
Quote:
The Commissioner has asked me to respond to your e-mail.  The number used is provided to the MPS as part of a national service hosted by the Police Information Technology Organisation.  At our request they have now provided a geographic UK number which will be announced shortly.

Ailsa Beaton
Director of Information
Metropolitan Police Service

As you can see they have now decided to release a geographical.  I shall wait until they have done this and then ask why they chose that number in the first place and in a month or so I'm gonna do an FOI request to see how much they profited from this number and where it was (or going to be) spent.

Has anyone else got any other ideas of questions I should ask at the same time as replying back to this email from Ailsa?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:29pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #58 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:43pm

A geographical number has now been released for people calling from overseas, it is 0207 158 0010.

However the met still continue to promote the 0870 number!!!!!!

See
www.met.police.uk/news/terrorist_attacks/
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2005 at 7:46pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jul 8th, 2005 at 8:16pm

I have this evening been called personally by Ailsa Beaton, the Met's Director of Information, to tell me that after reading my earlier posts complaining that it was not fair to pass the buck on to Pito there has now apparently been a road to Damascus style change of heart over at the Met.

Miss Beaton has promised me that by midnight tonight all relevant sources will now also show a geographic phone number as well as the existing 0870 number.

I do find it more than a little worrying that someone who is the Met's Director of Information and on the board of Pito should previously have been, on her own admission, totally unaware of the high costs of calling these numbers from BT Payphones and mobile phones and also the impossibility of calling them from overseas.  But perhaps these days one only makes it to director level in such a large organisation if one accepts the politically correct version of the universe rather than the nasty gritty reality of life which those of us who are slightly more cynical are only too well aware of.

Whatever may be the case it is certainly good to know that the action of this site has managed to change the situation.  I have been in touch with Matt Peacock, Ofcom's Communications Director, during the day and he is claiming that this change of heart by the Met is Ofcom's victory but personally I believe it is still down to the extensive individual lobbying and emailing carried out by members of this forum.  If Ofcom were really behind all this then how come nobody from that organisation bothered to make even a single post in this thread?  Also why were Ofcom's complaints not covered in any news bulletins that still continued to give out the 0870 number?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2005 at 10:34pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge