Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 512,075 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #375 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:08pm

ryouga,

you clearly confirm our worst fears about the business ethics of those who run Patientline at board level.

How can the NHS do business with a blatantly scam operator of this kind! Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:18pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #376 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:16pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:16pm:
pw4 wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:11pm:
I don't believe the DH would wish to risk the loss of all TV, radio and phone facilites in the wards.

I think they would be prepared to play that game of double bluff rather than allowing Patientline to go on scamming indefinitely.

I don’t see that there is any bluffing. Patientline’s accounts are open to view by anyone, including the DH, and it’s clear that the financial position cannot be sustained indefinitely.

Quote:
I do not anticipate hospitals allowing the use of mobile phones in open ward areas any time soon.
Quote:
[And why do you not anticipate that?  There seems to have been considerable talk elsewhere that this is indeed what may happen.

To answer the last part first: there has been considerable talk, but based only on by press reports, and rumours arising from same, not on an authoritative source. And on this site most of the talk that this may well happen has been by you.

I don’t anticipate hospitals allowing the use of mobile phones in in-patient wards any time soon, because the management of the hospitals have to consider all aspects of the patients’ environment and well-being – not just each individual’s convenience in being able to make and receive mobile phone calls wherever and whenever he likes. They are several reasons why hospitals do not allow the use of mobile phones in in-patient wards.

NHS Trusts make their own policy on the use of mobile phones in hospitals. It is not determined nationally. Or by me – but I predict the ban on mobiles in wards will remain, and time will prove me right or otherwise.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #377 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 2:17am

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.1123034.0.contract_...

Contract wrangle leaves patients without TVs

<<
PATIENTS' groups and MPs have called for urgent action after a wrangle between health bosses and a private firm has left patients at Blackburn's new super hospital with no TVs or telephones.

And health bosses have now threatened to pull the plug on an electronics firm which agreed to put in the systems.

Patients have had to request a trolley phone or get out of bed to go to a day room to watch TV because of the delay by troubled firm Patientline.

Cash-strapped NHS bosses were also forced to spend £17,000 on televisions for the day rooms at the £113 million hospital.

Critics said they were infuriated by the delay and said it meant patients were having to spend hours in bed with nothing to do.

The delay is a result of an investigation into the Slough-based firm by communications regulator Ofcom, which included criticism of high prices. The firm said it is now waiting to see what ministers have to say before installing any new systems.

Stephen Brookfield, director of finance at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We will continue to work with Patientline to try to resolve the situation. If we can't resolve the situation we will look for alternative suppliers."

Helen Hedges, vice chairman of the Patient and Public Involvement, the trust's official watchdog, said: "It is to be deplored that the situation is taking so long to be resolved. Anything that helps patients to keep in touch with family and friends and the world outside is to be desired."

Coun Tony Humphrys, chairman of Blackburn with Darwen Council's health overview and scrutiny committee, said: "Telephones are a lifeline for people in hospital. A lot of people are confined to the wards and can't get out of bed to watch television."

Tom Fallows, spokesman for Blackburn Trade Union Council, said: "If services are provided by the private sector then we all know from time to time it gets into difficulties which risks patient care and treatment. We would rather all services be provided and maintained by the NHS."

Hyndburn MP Greg Pope said: "I hope it is resolved as soon as possible because patients want access to a phone and TV pretty close to their bed.

Mr Pope said: "I don't have any problem with private companies running it. These are not core facilities so it makes sense to contract it out. The NHS isn't an expert at providing these services but it is important to get the contract right."

The systems have also not been installed at the new phase five development at Burnley General Hospital.

A spokesperson for Patientline said: "We fully appreciate and understand the concerns surrounding the availability of Patientline in the Royal Blackburn Hospital."
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #378 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 10:25am

Half these clowns all seem to suggest they are only concerned that the Patientline ripoff machinery has not been installed and not the fact that even if it was installed loads of patients couldn't afford to use it at present price levels Roll Eyes Angry Shocked

Hopefully this marks the beginning of the end for the Patientline ripoff with them either going bust or being forced to reduce the rate of incoming phone calls to no more than 10p per minute.

How can the local MP suggest that this is not core machinery when they admit there is nothing else for patients to do without it and that patients become bored and depressed if they don't have access to these facilities. Undecided

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #379 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 1:14am

http://www.hdmagazine.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=16&storyCode=2041761

DH report on Patientline's charges imminent

<<
The result of a year-long review of bedside phone charges, which is likely to impact on the provision of telephone and TV access for hundreds of thousands of hospital patients, is about to be published by the Department of Heath (DH), HD has learned.

An unfavourable result could tip debt-ridden telecoms company Patientline into bankruptcy.

The DH undertook the review in January 2006 after communications regulator Ofcom completed an investigation into Patientline's call charges. Friends and relatives have to pay as much as 49p/min to call patients who use the company's communication terminals.

Although Ofcom expressed significant concerns about the level of charges for incoming calls to hospital patients, it found it had no authority to intervene and asked the DH to examine how Patientline's services, which include bedside radio and TV, can viably be provided on a basis that does not involve charging high prices for incoming calls.

But the DH has yet to report on the issue, and as a result of the prolonged uncertainty Patientline's shares have collapsed from 82p in July 2005 to 5p. The company is now struggling with a £19m debt and cannot afford to install new terminals in hospitals.

[...]

A Patientline spokesperson told HD: “We want call charges to go down but in conjunction with NHS trusts fully utilising the applications that our systems offer. These include food ordering, patient surveys and access to clinical information.”

[...]
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #380 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 2:50am

idb wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 1:14am:
But the DH has yet to report on the issue, and as a result of the prolonged uncertainty Patientline's shares have collapsed from 82p in July 2005 to 5p. The company is now struggling with a £19m debt and cannot afford to install new terminals in hospitals.

My gut feeling says they won't let Patientline go bust, even if Department of Health do negotiate a new deal with Patientline for bringing all the other facilities at the bedside into use in return for more money to Patientline so long as incoming calls fall to no more than 10p per minute.

At 5p per share it could be worth buying a £1,000 worth or so of Patientline shares.  Of course I would be a hypocrite to do so though......

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #381 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:39am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 31st, 2007 at 2:50am:
My gut feeling says they won't let Patientline go bust, even if Department of Health do negotiate a new deal with Patientline for bringing all the other facilities at the bedside into use in return for more money to Patientline so long as incoming calls fall to no more than 10p per minute.

The DH would certainly not want Patientline - or any of the other providers - to cease trading, but the Government has said that the DH is not in a position to mandate the NHS to use these additional products and therefore cannot guarantee that the take-up will be sufficient for the private providers to significantly reduce their incoming call charge.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #382 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:53am

pw4 wrote on Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:39am:
The DH would certainly not want Patientline - or any of the other providers - to cease trading, but the Government has said that the DH is not in a position to mandate the NHS to use these additional products and therefore cannot guarantee that the take-up will be sufficient for the private providers to significantly reduce their incoming call charge.

But they could decide to change the terms of the contract with Patientline so Patientline could afford to offer lower priced incoming calls surely?

Presumably the fact they don't lower the call costs says that most relatives do continue to call at 49p per minute with impunity, no doubt because in many cases they are unaware of the cost until they receive their phone bill.  Another case where call price pre-announcements would make all the difference and lead Patientline pleading to be allowed to charge a lower price.

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #383 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:54pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:53am:
But they could decide to change the terms of the contract with Patientline so Patientline could afford to offer lower priced incoming calls surely?

Each contract is held with an individual Trust. Each Trust could decide to to use the additional products, but that's what the Government has said the DH is not in a position to mandate the NHS to do.

Quote:
Presumably the fact they don't lower the call costs says that most relatives do continue to call at 49p per minute with impunity, no doubt because in many cases they are unaware of the cost until they receive their phone bill. Another case where call price pre-announcements would make all the difference and lead Patientline pleading to be allowed to charge a lower price.

If relatives don't listen to the current call price announcements why would they listen to call price pre-announcements?
Patientline doesn't have to plead to be allowed to charge less - they set their own rates, up to the maximum stated in each contract.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #384 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 8:05pm

pw4 wrote on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:54pm:
Patientline doesn't have to plead to be allowed to charge less - they set their own rates, up to the maximum stated in each contract.

But if no one was calling because relatives realised it was £30 an hour (and you might often feel like speaking to someone about to go for a major operation the next day for an hour at normal phone prices) then Patientline would want to cut the price to a level where calls picked up.

Unfortunately Patientline have got customers over a barrel as being in hospital is an emotionally charged and often life threatening situation and also because most people have friends in hospital so rarely that they make a one off long call while their friends/relatives are in for a few days to only later discover the full horrific costs.

The way in which you comment still suggests to me you must be a senior Executive of Patientline, even though you always claim you are not.  If you aren't one of their Executives then why do you consistently feel the need to excuse their overpriced ripoff service?

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #385 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 2:29pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 8:05pm:
But if no one was calling because relatives realised it was £30 an hour (and you might often feel like speaking to someone about to go for a major operation the next day for an hour at normal phone prices) then Patientline would want to cut the price to a level where calls picked up.
I understand that, but don't see the relevance to my point, which I'll try to restate more clearly. You said:
Quote:
... most relatives do continue to call at 49p per minute with impunity, no doubt because in many cases they are unaware of the cost until they receive their phone bill.  Another case where call price pre-announcements would make all the difference ...
If relatives are unaware of the cost despite the call price announcement that is currently played at the beginning of a call, why do you think they'll be any more aware of the cost if they were given the same message in a pre-announcement instead? The only difference it would make is that the charging period would start after they've ignored the message instead of before they've ignored it! I would support call price pre-announcements so that no-one is charged whilst they're told how much they're being charged, but I can't see why you think it would make "all the difference" and people would suddenly start taking notice of the information they're given.

Quote:
The way in which you comment still suggests to me you must be a senior Executive of Patientline, even though you always claim you are not.  If you aren't one of their Executives then why do you consistently feel the need to excuse their overpriced ripoff service?

My concern is that patients aren't left with no phone, TV or radio facilities, which would be the scenario in most hospitals if the bedside phone/TV system were to be withdrawn, whether because one or more of the providers - of which Patientline is only one, albeit the best known - abandons sites with lower revenue than others, or because it ceases to trade. Many of the comments here have gleefully anticipated the demise of Patientline (mysteriously ignoring all the other companies), but I think that having no facilities would be even less in the interests of patients than a system where the use of chargable facilities is optional - at least until a realistic way out of the mess is found that allows the companies to charge less without going bankrupt.

I respond to postings that I believe to be factually inaccurate, and comment when I think they are over-simplifying issues, such as with the ban on the use of mobiles in wards. For example: even if the DH was allowed to subsidise the systems in some way, how would that help with hospitals in Wales, Scotland, and N. Ireland?

The government's view is that it should not intervene and thereby distort a purely commercial market by mandating Trusts to take any particular courses of action. My view is that the government distorted the commercial market when it mandated Trusts to enter into contracts, for systems with specified minimum facilities and concessions, within a period of less than four years.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #386 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:10pm

pw4 wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 2:29pm:
Quote:
... most relatives do continue to call at 49p per minute with impunity, no doubt because in many cases they are unaware of the cost until they receive their phone bill.  Another case where call price pre-announcements would make all the difference ...
If relatives are unaware of the cost despite the call price announcement that is currently played at the beginning of a call, why do you think they'll be any more aware of the cost if they were given the same message in a pre-announcement instead? ...

There is another way of looking at this which is relevant across the board with respect to telephone call pricing, and that is that some people are mathematically illiterate.

In the shops, items are priced per item in a quantity of 1. What you see on the end of the shelf is what you pay. Telephone calls are priced in pence per minute, thus the total cost is obviously dependant on the call length. This means multiplying the call rate by the number of minutes, so what appears to be "just a few pence" is infact alot more. Do some people not understand this "per minute" bit on the end?

Perhaps the next move telcos will make is providing call pricing in pence per second, that's despite the fact that some have jumped back in time with whole minute billing.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:11pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #387 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 4:13pm

Dave wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:10pm:
There is another way of looking at this which is relevant across the board with respect to telephone call pricing, and that is that some people are mathematically illiterate.

In the shops, items are priced per item in a quantity of 1. What you see on the end of the shelf is what you pay. Telephone calls are priced in pence per minute, thus the total cost is obviously dependant on the call length. This means multiplying the call rate by the number of minutes, so what appears to be "just a few pence" is infact alot more. Do some people not understand this "per minute" bit on the end?

Totally agree with you Dave.

There needs to be a facility for people to be rung back after every call they make to be told the cost of it and/or a facility for more high tech display phones to show this on their displays.

The point many people who have been ripped off by hospital car park charges and phone charges have made is that at the time their wife or mother is terminally ill with cancer or whatever and that is their main preoccupation and seeing their relative as much as possible their main goal.  Only later when they are less emotionally distressed do they realise how utterly disgusting it is that they have been completey fleeced and left massively out of pocket just to do the right thing by their sick relative in hospital.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #388 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 4:19pm

pw4 wrote on Feb 5th, 2007 at 2:29pm:
The government's view is that it should not intervene and thereby distort a purely commercial market by mandating Trusts to take any particular courses of action. My view is that the government distorted the commercial market when it mandated Trusts to enter into contracts, for systems with specified minimum facilities and concessions, within a period of less than four years.

It is simply not living in the real world to suggest that if Patientline go bust these facilities will no longer exist in hospital when for most of the UK population the NHS is the only medical service they can use and their illness means they have no choice but to be in hospital. Although having television and a phone in hospital was not the expectation in the 1950s or 1960s it is the expectation now and providing it out of total hospital funding would surely be a tiny percentage of total operating costs.

Instead the costs fall very disproportionately on people who have sick relatives in hospital long term and note that there is no season ticket facility for lower phone calls cost (unlike the radio and television) especially on the ridiculous 49p per minute cost of making inbound calls.

I'm surprised that you don't also worry about all those issues and I think you are being unrelaistic to imagine there would be no radio or tv service in hospitals if Patientline went bust.  As this is now an expected part of hospital facilities then the assets of Patientline would be picked up by someone (probably the DH) and continue to be operated even if they went bust.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2007 at 6:12pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #389 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 6:07pm

Was visiting a relative in hospital today and spotted  a Patientline's notice.  If you want to know a patients number call 0870  .....calls charged at national rate.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2007 at 9:23pm by jimjim »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge