Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 511,994 times)
pauld

Newport, South Wales
Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #360 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 9:57pm

It's a start, maybe the National Assembly for Wales will have some clout after all:

Phone charges imposed by some hospitals "prey on the poorest and most vulnerable," says a Welsh Assembly Member.

Patientline said it charged as "little as it is able" to run the service without the NHS having to contribute, and was yet to make a profit due to a "heavy investment programme".

The company said it was working with the Department of Health to see if the service could be made cheaper for users.

A spokesperson said: "What we offer is not an essential part of someone's care but people may freely choose whether to use the service."

Can you believe Patientline's comment about charges?  Do they think we're completely bonkers and that gullible in believing
anything
they have to say.

The full story can be read at BBC Wales News

You can email Lynne Neagle and let her know your feelings - you never know the more feedback she gets, the more successful we might be in getting these charges scrapped.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Premier Bedside
Reply #361 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 3:43pm

My mother had to go into hospital this week (the hospital I still call Southend General but which now has some fancy 'Southend xxxxxxxx University' name).

The bedside equipment was the now omnipresent flat screen, headset etc. - supplied by Premier Bedside.

She was keen to use the free radio service and quickly mastered the touch screen to enable her to do so. 

She then noticed the telephone and, although there was no information available about how much incoming calls would cost, the screen prominently displayed a sign telling users that outgoing local or national calls cost only 10p/minute.  I warned her it was likely that incoming calls (it was an 0700340 number) would cost 49p/minute so she decided to tell everyone she would phone them and refused to publicise 'her' number.

Out of interest, I touched the 'Send free text message' button and quickly found that the button's label was somewhat economical with the truth.  Although it was, indeed, possible to send a free text message, you had no choice of what the message was!  The message (see quote box below) was simply to advise recipients that the patient had a bedside phone and 0700340xxxxx was the number!

That didn't particularly annoy me - until I later picked up the message I sent myself using the facility.

The message read:
Quote:
Message from xxxxx xxxxxx.  I am in Southend Hospital, on 0700340xxxx ext. xxxx.  You can phone me here, as I have a phone by my side

No mention of the costs and, as readers will know, 0700 calls are not preceded by a cost announcement (that comes after you've been answered by the slow and deliberate recorded message - which costs two call segments (2 x 49p peak rate) to hear.

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2006 at 9:55am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #362 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 4:54pm

Whatever happened to this as I know Ofcom wouldn't do anything (usual for Ofcom) and passed it on to the DoH wasn't it to deal with?

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #363 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 1:18am

I had exactly the same message... telling me to ring this number, stupid me rang it to find out my sister had given birth... I was talking to her from my mobile for over 30 mins and had no idea it was robbing 49ppm (probably more) from me! I was outraged because I was not told!!!

After speaking to there customer services, prob in india, they refused to discuss it and said there is leaflets that state the price...

Cant oftel/ofcom or whoever it is do anything about this???

Kev

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #364 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:52am

Trubster, it doesn't take long to go through the threads on this site, spread over a long time, and see the 'consultations, etc that Ofcom come up with, ask for input, then completely IGNORE our responses and do exactly what they had decided anyway.
There is no point in thinking Ofcom et al, will ever DO anything.
Other means have to be found, and herein lies the problem, our MPs are part of the 'government' and don't wish to rock their own boats, so keep their heads down in the matter.
A 'done deal' I think is the expression which best describes!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #365 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 2:33pm

Patientline critical as rescue plan launched

http://business.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1844132006   (Dec 12, 2006)

<<
Patientline, which today reported a loss of £3.7 million in the six months to September 29, said it had embarked on a business recovery plan which included the closure of its US operations to focus on work in the UK.

It added it was also in talks with a potential buyer for its business in Continental Europe. Patientline said its revenue in the period dropped by £1.3m to £25.1m, while losses widened by £1.5m.

The firm, which has been criticised for its high call charges both to and from hospitals, said it was lobbying the Department of Health to enter into discussions in a bid to reduce call charges.

It said around 50 per cent of Patientline revenue came from incoming phone calls and added the current conditions of contracts it has to supply bedside services to patients meant it needed to charge high prices in order to survive.

[...]

Geoff White, chairman of Patientline, said: "This has been a difficult period for the company and the outlook remains challenging. However, we have embarked on a business recovery plan which is now being implemented.

"The most important issue facing the business is the discussions with the Department of Health about reducing call charges. It is disappointing that these discussions have taken much longer to resolve than expected. Patientline has long wanted to reduce incoming telephone call charges; we are making every effort to resolve this difficult issue."

[...]

>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #366 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 2:37pm

http://www.patientlinesystems.com/images/uk/Withdrawal%20North%20American%20Mark...

<<
Patientline plc

Withdrawal from North American Market

As a consequence of a review of the Group’s strategy and prospects in North America,
the Board of Patientline has decided to withdraw from this market and will now
commence an orderly closure of its loss making North American operations. Further
information will be provided as part of the Group’s interim results announcement.
For the year ended 31 March 2006, the Group reported an operating loss of £1.5 million
on revenue of £0.8 million in respect of its operations in North America.

1st November 2006
>>

Presumably the "prospects" in North America are poor given that the scam that Patientline conducts in the United Kingdom in relaltion to incoming call charges would simply be unacceptable in the United States and Canada as the public is just not willing to pay exorbitant charges to call a hospitalized patient.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #367 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Well it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people now could it. Wink Roll Eyes

I imagine the Department of Health's strategy is to let them go bust and then let the pieces be picked up another telco who will buy the assets for next to nothing and be able to offer the phone calls for 10p per minute or less.

The final death knell for Patientline will be if the NHS generally rescinds its ban on the use of mobile phones in most parts of NHS hospitals.  They will then have to cut call costs for there to be any chance of anyone using the service. Wink

So it looks like no second yacht or French Chateau for Derick Lewis.  How tragic. Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:52pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #368 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:18pm

idb wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 2:37pm:
Presumably the "prospects" in North America are poor given that the scam that Patientline conducts in the United Kingdom in relaltion to incoming call charges would simply be unacceptable in the United States and Canada as the public is just not willing to pay exorbitant charges to call a hospitalized patient.

Patientline's business model in North America was to sell systems outright to hospitals, who would operate them and determine their own levels of charges.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #369 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:56pm

pw4 wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 9:18pm:
Patientline's business model in North America was to sell systems outright to hospitals, who would operate them and determine their own levels of charges.

Strange how the bumbling NHS management never saw fit to operate this model in their hospitals in the first place.  Still I imagine that the NHS was told that if they allowed their patient's relatives to be scammed for 50p per minute then they would not have to pay for the equipment? Wink

I imagine Patientline's current talks with the NHS are aimed at selling the systems to the NHS outright so that they can decided the acceptable level of call charges to reach patients.  Meanwhile the impoverished relatives of sick patients are still forced to spend say £30 to have an hour talking to them before an operation which they may never come round from.  Talk about legalised extortion! Shocked Angry Angry Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #370 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:11pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:39pm:
I imagine the Department of Health's strategy is to let them go bust and then let the pieces be picked up another telco who will buy the assets for next to nothing and be able to offer the phone calls for 10p per minute or less.

I think that unlikely. The DH will be aware that the company has lessened the risk of insolvency at least for this year by securing a revised facility with its lenders, whereby, in addition to capital repayments being deferred until after April 2008, no tests of financial covenants are required until the end of March 2008. I would imagine that with your background you understand what 'tests of financial covenants' are a lot better than I!

In any case the receivers would be obliged to obtain the best price for the business, and that might be acheived by selling the equipment from Patientline's control rooms within the hospitals, including the phone systems. I don't believe the DH would wish to risk the loss of all TV, radio and phone facilites in the wards.

Quote:
The final death knell for Patientline will be if the NHS generally rescinds its ban on the use of mobile phones in most parts of NHS hospitals.

The NHS, as an organisation, has no ban - at least in England; I don't know about the NHS's in the rest of the UK. Policies are determined locally by the management of each hospital or Trust, to whom the DH issued recommendations.
I do not anticipate hospitals allowing the use of mobile phones in open ward areas any time soon.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #371 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:16pm

pw4 wrote on Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:11pm:
I don't believe the DH would wish to risk the loss of all TV, radio and phone facilites in the wards.

I think they would be prepared to play that game of double bluff rather than allowing Patientline to go on scamming indefinitely.

Quote:
I do not anticipate hospitals allowing the use of mobile phones in open ward areas any time soon.

And why do you not anticipate that?  There seems to have been considerable talk elsewhere that this is indeed what may happen.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2007 at 10:16pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #372 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 11:14pm

Yeah, the hospital my fiancee attends (the joys of Cystic Fibrosis) allow it in most parts of the hospital. Hell the nurses have told her where it can and cant be used due to the actual sensative equipment.

IP Logged

ryouga

Scotland
Reply #373 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 7:56pm

Didnt notice this thread before, but thought id drop in, as I used to work in the Patientline call centre, they were crooks there as well as in the hospitals, most of the staff in hospital are nice, just overworked, as they have 1-2 staff to cover a whole hospital! and normally theres a chance of 1 off, so 1 person to cover hundreds(or more patients) no wonder patients dont get dealt with, and Patientline refuse to hire more staff.

Anyway, I got £5.05 a hour, started training December 2005, wasnt supposed to finish training till Janurary, but all of a sudden they finished training December 30th for me and loads others, at 4.55pm no less(we finished at 5pm!) and said we all had to work New Years Eve and New Years Day for minimum wage, so I had to work 2pm-11pm 31st December, and walk back a hour walk home(as no buses) and from 9am-6pm New Years Day.

Which should of been illegial as we were only given part time contracts of 4 hours a day, as they refused to give anyone full time contracts, just part time with guaranteed overtime(well in busy months)

Also the crafty thing with this was that they paid overtime a month in arrears and a month with them was the 14th-14th so even though this was classed as overtime I didnt get over my 20 hours pay till the end of Feburary!, where they make profit on my wages.

I was bullied by a fat Miss Piggy/Vicky Pollard lookalike, who was butch, had bleached blonde hair, and threatened everyone and even made threatening and abusive calls to people she didnt like.

Shes still working there now, probably as shes a butt kisser to the managers, though each supervisor knows shes bad as they have had loads of complaints, they wont fire her as they are desperate for staff, even though she also shouts at customers on phone or has even sworn at customers loads of times.

She started her reign of terror against me after I complained about her giving me prank calls, she came up to me, in front of loads of her friends, and said she would kick the **** out of me outside unless I apologised, I said no, and since that day if I sat near her, she moved, and refused to sit near me, or said to people sitting beside me"hey look at that smelly freak, hes an idiot" etc, the funny thing is she wants to be a primary school teacher!

That was one of the reasons I left, other was I was one of the best staff there(I used to get called aside by supervisors who I knew from years ago) who said I was brilliant, and they didnt want me to leave.

But it was messed up, half the Pc's or phones didnt work, and because of that, people queued up to get a PC, and then as they had to queue up missed start of shift, then got shouted at from supervisors for lowering their call handling stats(the supervisors got bonuses depending on our performance)

Put it this way, I got letters each month for the 8 months I was there, saying I was in the top 3 sales, friends or family, or least complaints etc. but the thing was, I made £1.08 bonus for selling £8000 worth of credit in 2 months(maybe more) great commison eh.

Also they were so tight, we had to share headphones, and just got wet wipes to clean them, plus 2 cheap foam things to  make them comfortable, and if you lost them, then you had to pay £12 for replacements(thats the 2 headphone foams which cost like 10p)

Also they forced you to work over, I remember once I logged out 11 seconds before end of shift to be shouted at as I could of taken a call in that time!, and I had to go back on anad spend 10 minutes on 1 call, then I missed last bus back to town because of this, so had to walk back in a storm for 1 hour, I had a bad cold next day!

They just dont care there, all they care about is cash, the supervisors were your best mate when they were off duty or on a break, when working they shouted at you and treated you like dirt(as I say the best team results out of the 4 teams there gave their supervisors a huge bonus each month)

I was shouted at, sworn at, threatened to get bombed(really) wished a typhoon would wash away call centre, got held personally responsible for anything there, and I was always polite, but it was affecting my health and I started to get bad tempered at home due to stress, so I left.

Then the idiots kept calling me saying I hadnt turned up, even though my 4 weeks notice was up, and this went on each day for weeks, until I got a termination letter! and I phoned and was spoken rude to, and they claimed I never handed notice in, yet my team leader, the actual boss of call centre and the admin department all knew I was leaving weeks before I handed in notice and the dates!

They then never gave me a P45 which meant when I signed on for a few weeks I got no cash and lost £400 in housing and JSA as they needed proof of my final wage and how much tax I paid.

I could go on for hours about all the nasty staff there, but obviously wont.

Im proud to say though I went out of my way to help people, which did affect my stats, but to help someone and for them to turn from shouting and swearing to being nice, and recommending me personally to other staff when they phoned to get more credit was great!

IP Logged

ryouga

Scotland
Reply #374 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:03pm

Thought id mention one or two inaccuraces in the threads though, its £3.50 a day for patients under 60, its free for under 18s, and half price after 14 days, and I think free after 30 days, or less at nurses request.

As for the stations, it varies, Cartoon Network/Toonami is availble, Bravo was taken off due to moaning old pensioners(really they thought it was innapropiate!) TCM, Eurosport are available at many.

I cant remember many more it varies, some hospitals do have Sky1 though.

Though as people say, its mainly freeview channels.

They use SKY boxes though(VERY old ones though, falling to bits) to transmit the signals, which means if the box goes down, then all monitors go down.

Whats funny though is old people used to moan about everything, they expected free tv, free phone calls(even to mobile phones and international) and used to moan about how they are old and poor, even some who had posh accents and claimed they were solictiors!

Funniest one was a rude arrogant old man phoned up at 11.45 at night, and said his tv was broken and he wanted an engineer within 15 minutes, and I said that was impossible as they finished at 10pm, and wouldnt be back till 8am unless the unit was faulty and a hazard(when it would be fixed right away) and he demanded my name, said he would get me personally fired and sue me and bankrupt me etc, and he could as he was a solicitor!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge