Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 510,418 times)
mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #330 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 5:31pm

From the Times today:

Quote:
Patientline, the smallcap-listed provider of premium-rate phones beside hospital beds, tumbled 8.25p to a record low of 9.5p after it posted a trading loss of £11.3 million, barely changed on last year despite sales growing 12 per cent.

The company complained that ward closures and empty beds have reduced its terminals count in the UK. An Ofcom investigation into its incoming call charges, due at the end of this month, also halted new installations.

Business from its installed base was not too healthy either, with revenue per terminal per day running 7 per cent below the prior year.

Long may it continue! With any luck, they will go broke!

IP Logged

Victors_Bruvver

Reply #331 - Jun 30th, 2006 at 8:20am

Is it possible for Ofcom to check with other countries, both in the EU and say, US & Canada to see what they do?
I find it incredible that Patientline have said that it is not possible to call from overseas. When my late mother was in hospital in Luxembourg I thought that calling her bedside phone from here in the UK was just the regular overseas call charge. I must admit it was a few years ago now and my attention had not yet been drawn to these NGN's so I could be wrong.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #332 - Jul 1st, 2006 at 2:01pm

Victors_Bruvver wrote on Jun 30th, 2006 at 8:20am:
Is it possible for Ofcom to check with other countries, both in the EU and say, US & Canada to see what they do?

Ofcom won't want to look at Canada and the USA as it won't give them an answer which allows them to keep their scam NGN industry ripoff buddies in business.  The whole of Ofcom's attention is focused on claiming that the scammers provide valuable employment and to close them down would cause the loss of jobs and reduce the size of GDP etc.

Mr Stephen Carter and his Ofcom chums are all about protecting telecoms profitability and not about doing what is in the public interest.

IP Logged

gudman

Reply #333 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 2:59pm

I AGREE WITH ALL THAT THIS IS A DAYTIME ROBBERY TO CHARGE 49P/MIN TO CALL A PATIENT IN THE HOSPITAL, OTHER SERVICES BY PATIENT LINE ARE ALSO NOT DIFFERENT FROM THIS, THEY CHARGE £2 TO WATCH TELEVISION FOR AN HOUR WITH BASIC CHANNELS. HOPE OFCOM WILL DO "SOMETHING" FOR THIS PROBLEM

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #334 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 12:56am

gudman wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006 at 2:59pm:
I AGREE WITH ALL THAT THIS IS A DAYTIME ROBBERY TO CHARGE 49P/MIN TO CALL A PATIENT IN THE HOSPITAL, OTHER SERVICES BY PATIENT LINE ARE ALSO NOT DIFFERENT FROM THIS, THEY CHARGE £2 TO WATCH TELEVISION FOR AN HOUR WITH BASIC CHANNELS. HOPE OFCOM WILL DO "SOMETHING" FOR THIS PROBLEM

Ofcom have already looked at this and passed the buck to the Department of Health to decide if the contracts which it allowed its hospitals to enter into were fair.

Also Ofcom have just siged off giving Patientline months longer to bring in Direct Dial to the bedside at hospital.

You might as well believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy as expect any form of positive protectio of the UK consumer by OfCon the telecoms scammer's friend.

IP Logged

Tony_Walsh
Ex Member

Reply #335 - Jul 8th, 2006 at 11:25pm

Contact your MP @ the House of Commons - do it!! - they can effect change - we can only complain!

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #336 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:02am

Quite right Tony_

Have a look in if you want to check your MP's name and initials and exact constituency. Not all of us are on writing or nodding terms with them.
Get writing! (politely? Smiley)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #337 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:28pm

Use www.writetothem.com for the easiest and simplest way to contact any of your local elected representatives online.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #338 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 1:32pm

Wow. Great. Tks NGM. I have been using pen and ink for Martyn Jones MP. Now to have Community Councillors included...

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #339 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 1:10am

Tanllan wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 1:32pm:
Wow. Great. Tks NGM. I have been using pen and ink for Martyn Jones MP. Now to have Community Councillors included...

I see they have just added a new Write To Your Lord feature ( www.writetothem.com/lords ) although of course Lords do not have constituencies as such.  Still there are up to 10 Euro MPs per constituency so not much difference in the two approaches really.  In fact I see you can search for a Lord with the nearest residential address to any particular uk town.  I know little of Baroness Thomas of Walliswood though.

Sadly some other grubby little fellow called Murdoch has now replaced me as one of the two district councillors listed for the Capel, Leigh & Newdigate ward on Mole Valley District Council. Cry
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2006 at 1:13am by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #340 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:15pm

These are the TV channels that are currently available in our local hospital:-

BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch4, Ch5, ITV2, E4, CBeebies, Cartoon Network, BBC News 24, TCM, ITV4, Sky News, BBC3, ITV3

Now out of all them, I believe TCM and possibly Cartoon Network, are the only channels that they (PatientLine) would have to pay extra for as they're subscription channels.

Until recently, UKGold was available as well but has now been taken off but yet the cost, £3.50, hasn't gone down at all!

There is no way of knowing what channels are available at a specific hospital (I assume some may be dependant on the area) unless you ask them over the phone or email them as I did.  I believe we should have a list of channels available at the point where you purchase the TV cards so you know what you are getting for your money.

I realise it makes little difference because some wards have removed their communial TV's leaving (well 'forcing' is a better word) you to use the PatientLine TV and their inflated prices.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #341 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:39pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:15pm:
Now out of all them, I believe TCM and possibly Cartoon Network, are the only channels that they (PatientLine) would have to pay extra for as they're subscription channels.

You are correct that only TCM and Cartoon Network are Pay tv channels out of this lot on both Sky and Freeview (or TopUpTv in the case of Cartoon Network and TCM). And don't forget that Film Four is going to be available free on Freeview from July 23rd.

I stupidly assumed that the £3.50 a day charge included the likes of staple low budget Sky pay channels like British Eurosport, UK Gold, National Geographic, Discovery, UK Documentary etc, etc but now we learn it is only the free multichannel tv channels just so Patientline can rack up their profits yet further by not providing any actual pay channels at a service cost of over £1,000 per year per patient.  The NHS must be full of complete commercial illiterates is all I can say.

Again New Labour scams and New Labour friends are at the back of no action happening  here.  If a hated Tory like Geoffrey Archer was running the scam and it had been agreed under the Tory government New Labour would have closed this down in five minutes.  They would also have bellowed like hell if a Tory government had allowed such things to happen in NHS hospitals.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #342 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:41pm

Quote:
And don't forget that Film Four is going to be available free on Freeview from July 23rd.
On Telewest it is being included as free in their basic packages I think.  I assume Sky are still charging full wack for it?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #343 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:50pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 18th, 2006 at 8:41pm:
Quote:
And don't forget that Film Four is going to be available free on Freeview from July 23rd.
On Telewest it is being included as free in their basic packages I think.  I assume Sky are still charging full wack for it?

That's not Free is it though bbb, although I don't suppose that Teleworst/NTHell (the people with what must have been the cheapest ever television advert to make) charge anywhere like the £15 a month that is charged by Sky for their bottom of the barrel offering in which you could get TCM but not Film Four.  And NTHell or Teleworst usually throw in a free phone line too unlike Sky.  Although today's free Sky Broadband offer does sound interesting if you happen to live on the right exchange for it.

But a Freeview box costs 30 quid and has a life of may be 10 years..............................................

To be fair to Sky there are several oddball free movie channels put out you can get without any subscription on Freesat or a desubscribed Sky box These are in the 330 area of the Sky channel guide and include ZoneHorror, ZoneThriller, TrueMovies1, TrueMovies2 and Movies4Men.  But they are nothing to do with Sky and I think are transmitted on Hotbird rather than Astra where all Sky's own channels come from.

~ Quote box corrected by Dave
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2006 at 5:12pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #344 - Jul 19th, 2006 at 3:00pm

The Health Select Committee published its report on NHS charges yesterday.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmhealth/815/815-i.pd...

Paragraphs relevant to this thread are on pages:

38-40 (PDF pages 40-42) "5 Non-clinical services, Bedside telecommunications" para's 89-94
47 (49) "6 Alternative charging systems, Bedside telephones" para's 126-128
57-58 (59-61) "7 Conclusions, Bedside telephone charges" para's 175-176
61-63 (63-65) "Conclusions and recommendations" para's 16-17

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge