Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 512,194 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #90 - Sep 22nd, 2005 at 10:46pm

Quote:
Several of my recent posts have continued to vanish also over the last few days. Makes one wonder whether a hacker is at work here, perhaps working for Ofcom?

Or perhaps instead for BT?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #91 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 11:07pm

Oct 2 article: Inside the City: Patientline hit by £100m sick note (The Sunday Times - Business)
Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1806775,00.html

<<
SHARES in Patientline, the company that provides bedside telephony and televisions in hospital, have fallen 75% since the start of 2004, destroying more than £100m of shareholder value.

The dramatic collapse is not that surprising. Even Evolution Securities, one of the company’s own advisers, admits it has concerns about the firm breaching its banking covenants — although Patientline insists they are unfounded.

Run by Derek Lewis, former director-general of the Prison Service, Patientline has more than £80m debt and has racked up losses of nearly £30m since its 2001 float.

Ofcom, the telecoms regulator, announced in July that it was investigating the cost of calling a Patientline phone. Calls cost 49p a minute, compared with the 16p price of calling a mobile phone.

Half of all Patientline revenues are generated from incoming calls — and Evolution has warned that an adverse ruling from Ofcom could bring the “business model into question”. Patientline is confident of being cleared, but has nevertheless postponed installing new units until Ofcom completes its investigation.

As if the Ofcom probe were not enough, Patientline also had to admit to poor trading in July. A number of NHS trusts have temporarily closed wards in an attempt to “balance their books”, leaving 1,000 Patientline terminals idle.

The company may feel aggrieved that, having spent millions of pounds installing bedside televisions and telephones, Ofcom is now considering moving the goalposts by attempting to reduce the amount the firm can charge. But the cost of calls has caused real anger. In the past 12 months more than 100 formal complaints about Patientline have been lodged with NHS trusts.

Patientline is not only a lesson in the destruction of shareholder value; it is also a reminder to investors that — despite today’s fashion for private-sector involvement in the public sector — doing business with government is not always straightforward.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

santana-mx3

Reply #92 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 12:47pm

Aah. How sad.

Don't you just feel so sorry for those lovely Patientline people?  Grin

IP Logged

BitterandTwisted

Reply #93 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 12:23am

They don't miss a chance to deceive the public.

I recently visited Southport and Formby General Hospital.  The Patientline phones that I encountered there were in the sequence 0704 XXXX.  By a strange coincidence 0704 happens to have been the local dialing code for the area before the big number change added a 1 to make it 01704.  It strikes me that this is more than a coincidence and I would go so far as to suggest it is a deliberate attempt to deceive the local populace in an area which is acknowledged as having a high proportion of elderly and retired people.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #94 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 1:58am

More media coverage today:

Source: http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article317273.ece

Patientline enters intensive care ward as talks begin with lenders (Independent)

<<
Patientline, the controversial company that installs bedside phones in hospitals, has been forced to start talks with its lenders to avoid breaching banking covenants next year.

The company has stopped rolling out the service after stinging public criticism of high call charges, the mothballing of many existing terminals and the launch of a regulatory inquiry.

But the new downsized business will struggle to meet debt repayments set out in agreements with a consortium of banks led by Royal Bank of Scotland. [...]

Ofcom revealed in July it was examining whether Patientline and its private rival, Premier Managed Payphones, were abusing their position as the only way for friends and family to call patients. The regulator has received dozens of complaints about the cost of calls, which can be charged at up to 49p per minute at peak times. Patientline and Premier make callers listen to a pre-recorded message before connecting them, which can add an extra minute to the bill.
[...]

The possibility that Patientline could breach banking covenants was first floated by its house broker, Evolution Securities, and last week the broker tore up its financial forecasts for the company in a note that sent shares to a record low. The company decided to make a "confirmatory announcement" on the subject yesterday, and the stock closed up 1p at 38.5p but remains 88 per cent below its value at the start of the year.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #95 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 2:08am

Quote:
Aah. How sad.

Don't you just feel so sorry for those lovely Patientline people?  Grin

Looks like Mr Lewis will have to make do with just the one yacht then and may be having to travel Club Class instead of First Class.

It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. Roll Eyes Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #96 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 11:18am

Ofcom has just announced that it is allowing a 6 month further delay to June next year for the period in which Patientline is allowed to continue the worst aspect of its current 070 scamming by the numbers dialled not even currently directly reaching the bedside of the patient.  How convenient that Ofcom should think this necessary rather than threatening to close Patientline down and hit them with a £10 million fine if they don't get the renumbering job done by December.  We all know there is no technical reason the change can't be made straight away, the delay is obviously purely to stop Patientline from going bust due to the fall in revenue.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ccases/closed_all/cw...

Once again Ofcom shows itself to be the ripoff merchants favourite poodle and one begins to wonder if any senior members of Ofcom staff have perhaps previously worked at Patientline.

Ofcom says its investigation into the appropriateness of using 070 numbers at all is continuing but the fact that Patientline is moving the 070 number system to direct dial to the bedside rather suggests that Mr Derek Lewis's confidence that a good lunch or two with senior Ofcom staff at a restaurant with a Michelin Rosette will end up steering them in the right direction is perhaps well founded.

Ofcom prove once again that they are utterly spineless and ineffectual and incapable of closing down even the worst rackets on an urgent basis.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2005 at 11:20am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #97 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 8:35pm

Having read your link NGM, I understand that Patientline failed to meet a previously set deadline of 13 June 2005 to give each patient their own 07 number. Presumably there are Patientline systems where one dials an 07 number and gets a prompt to enter an extension number.

So Patientline 'missed' that deadline, so Ofcom has given it another six months to 13 December 2005 to comply with this!

So what is the 14 June 2006 date for? Am I right in understanding that the "six month extension" to 13 December is for all but 25 sites? So the real 'deadline' is 14 June 2006?

So how many sites does Patientline have? What percentage is this 25? What happened to the scandal of being charged 49p/min to calls these numbers?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #98 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 1:52am

Quote:
So how many sites does Patientline have? What percentage is this 25? What happened to the scandal of being charged 49p/min to calls these numbers?

Dave,

It sounds as though you are working yourself towards an FOI to Ofcom on the matter for they are the only ones who can answer these questions

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #99 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 3:08pm

Ofcom have just published this consultation on new regulations to stop the abuse of 070 Personal Numbers.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/personal_numbering/pn.pdf

I don't think it is directly relevant to the 49p per minute Patientline scam although I think it may include some other forms of 070 personal number abuse that mc661 has previously highlighted to me.

But the more I think about it the more i can't see what is different about these numbers from an 0871  or 09 call redirection service and am at a loss as why Personal Numbers are allocated in the 07 numbering block otherwise used for mobile phones.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2005 at 3:08pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #100 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 10:38pm

Quote:
But the more I think about it the more I can't see what is different about these numbers from an 0871 or 09 call redirection service and am at a loss as why Personal Numbers are allocated in the 07 numbering block otherwise used for mobile phones.

Because way back then the idea was that the 07X range was the "Find me anywhere" range, so named by the then Oftel DG.
It soon became known as "Pay them anything"

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #101 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 10:43pm

Quote:
Because way back then the idea was that the 07X range was the "Find me anywhere" range, so named by the then Oftel DG.
It soon became known as "Pay them anything"

Ah yes good old OFTEL.  Better known as the "friends of all the best Telco ripoffs society".

Would that be the same OFTEL director who told me if I didn't like the price of 0870 numbers then I didn't have to call them and that as long as there was competition for the call centre operators to get the best revenue share on 0870 then this fully accomplished all OFTEL's objectives!

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #102 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 10:49pm

From the OFfice of TELling stories
to
the OFfice on CONtinually CONsulting.

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #103 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 11:06pm

Quote:
From the OFfice of TELling stories
to
the OFfice on CONtinually CONsulting.

Very Good.  I like your way of thinking. Grin

But don't forget to respond to the Ofcom consultation slating the appalling lies they have told to justify retaining the 0845 revenue sharing scamming.

I don't think their consultation document even seems to acknowldege the possibility that all the 0870 scamsters might just change over to 0845 instead.

IP Logged

davis

Reply #104 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 3:57pm

This thread has run a while and is of interest as I have just stayed overnight in hospital. I did not use Patientline and I am pleased to say the ward was very good about letting patients use the ward phone for quick incoming and outgoing calls. However I did notice a message on the patientline sales display-to find the number of a patient in this hospital please call us on 0870*******. Well, what do you expect! Of course orders for patientline were on 0800.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge