Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 510,652 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #60 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:59pm

I hope Patientline also get a big fine too.  Or don't the regulations allow for this.

Also what about the NHS.  Is there no way for we the taxpayers to haul them over the coals on this?

IP Logged

bill

Reply #61 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 11:28pm

Quote:
Mind you the managers at the NHS who allowed this scam should be even more heavily condemned and/or fired by Parliament and the relevant government ministers.
No chance of that.  They've all just started their 80 day summer holiday.

IP Logged

alexpeck

5 portions a day!

Reply #62 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 3:14pm

Whoa everybody, the NHS don't receive a penny to run the PatientLine system.

The cost of the calls, TV and movies all go to the operator who uses some of that to pay for the equipment, connections and upkeep (they have to clean the handset and TV box at every bedside at least once a week).

It does cost a lot more than a usual telephone system to run and is a great step up from the old days when patients had no entertainment at all!!

I do agree that the cost of watching TV is high though (but decreases if you buy more time), and as well as the standard five channels patients do only get a few extra channels (varies by hospital - the one I am familar with gives a fairly average 15 extra channels, including Sky Movies 1).

IP Logged

Operations_Directo
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 10:16pm

Quote:
Whoa everybody, the NHS don't receive a penny to run the PatientLine system.

The cost of the calls, TV and movies all go to the operator who uses some of that to pay for the equipment, connections and upkeep (they have to clean the handset and TV box at every bedside at least once a week).

It does cost a lot more than a usual telephone system to run and is a great step up from the old days when patients had no entertainment at all!!

I do agree that the cost of watching TV is high though (but decreases if you buy more time), and as well as the standard five channels patients do only get a few extra channels (varies by hospital - the one I am familar with gives a fairly average 15 extra channels, including Sky Movies 1).

A voice of reason!

I was recently admitted as an emergency to an NHS Hospital that had the Patientline service. The all in one unit is mounted on a flexible arm that can be swung out the way. It has a medium sized LCD TV with a number of channels including Sky News and a built in phone. In the future internet access will be added.

On arrival in the ward I went through the sign-up process. I put about £10 of credit on my account. Contrary to what has been written on this thread you do not get an individual Personal Number but an "account number" that is entered after dialling the 07 number. I assume they will recycle the numbers over time.

Outgoing calls were 10p per minute which I considered quite reasonable considering how much calls from hotels or private hospitals cost.

It is possible to listen to the speakers but in the interest of harmony it is better to use the headphones provided. These are replaced by the Patientline rep before the next patient occupies the bed.

The Patientline offering is WAY better than what was available previously - communal TV in a communal lounge or a payphone brought to your bed. For those not willing to pay for Patienline those facilities are still available.

The cost of providing the service must be high. Each unit must cost several hundred ££££. Then there is the maintenance and running costs.

There are too many people here who want something for nothing. Do those people think that the NHS should divert money from healthcare areas to install a Patientline type system and allow it to be used for free?

No one is forcing people to use Patienline. It is there for those willing and able to pay for it.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #64 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 10:28pm

Quote:
Outgoing calls were 10p per minute which I considered quite reasonable considering how much calls from hotels or private hospitals cost.
Indeed, the costs of *outgoing* calls are entirely reasonable, however the *incoming* call cost is nothing other than a rip-off, exploiting the personal numbering system. Calling from overseas is problematical, and yes, patients in hospital really do have friends and relatives that live abroad.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 10:39pm

Quote:
No one is forcing people to use Patienline. It is there for those willing and able to pay for it.

Can I assume you are Operations Director of Patientline?  At least I can only imagine someone with that job and personality type being gung ho enough to use Operations Director as their forum name.

To answer your question I do not expect the main funding of this system to be paid for by elderly relatives of hospital patients who have no choice on what means their relative engages for communication in hospital and who have to pay a pound a minute from a BT Payphone for call.  I am all for private enterprise so long as it operates in an open free and competitive market.  But there all too many commercial companies in the UK today who expect to stitch up cosy little anti competitive commercial deals where they have a monopoly.

If you make the case that the NHS cannot afford to provide this entertainment and communication service there is only one fair way to provide it.  That is for the patient to pay a fixed amount a day for the whole unit to be activated including the phone and the television.  But the incoming calls should be at normal BT 01 and 02 prices so that impoverished elderly relatives are not prevented from calling and so that overseas relatives in the USA are not barred from calling altogether.

I would also like to see the bar on mobile phone use lifted in hospitals so that your service is open to a little competition.  As mobile phone line quality is lousy if your service is really as good as you say it is then people will still want to use it.

Most disgraceful on this system is that outgoing calls are 10p per minute but incoming are 49p per minute from a BT landline.  If you wanted to earn a revenue share fairly then under the current rules you should have used 0871 at 10p per minute.  Criticisable but quite legal under present Ofcom rules.

07 PNS is for Personal numbers that reach the individual directly on that number by landline forwarding.  In the case of the BT k rate that you currently use that includes forwarding the calls to overseas mobiles, many of which still have quite expensive call rates.

However Patientline is scamming by abusing 07 k rate PNS numbers and must expect to face the appropriate commercial music as a result.  The NHS directors who agreed to this should grotesque error should also be fired.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #66 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 10:51pm

ye gods - I thought that Oftel had previously outlawed this use of 070 and declared for 091 - as the Numbering Conventions require(d).
Angry>Sad Angry

IP Logged

alexpeck

5 portions a day!

Reply #67 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:14pm

NonGeographicalMan please calm down!

Patientline was the company that provided a system with the lowest costs. 01 or 02 numbers could not be used as the system is similar to VoIP (but using different protocols) and there are no geographic alternatives.

The NHS had no cheaper competitors to consider and therefore the directors will face no action - if you want a cheaper phone system, start a company and offer your services! The NHS would accept a more competitative tender because it would increase patient satisfaction!

You cannot and will not be allowed to use a mobile phone in a hospital.

Mobile phones emit considerable amounts of electromagnetic radiation (even when on standby) due to the basic processes they use to communicate with network base stations. This electromagnetic radiation has three effects in a hospital:
1) Interferes with and delays the paging system used in all hospitals to call doctors to immediate emergencies such as cardiac arrests;
2) Disrupts the sensors attached to patients (e.g. the ECG dots measure electrical activity in the body are proven to give false readings if a mobile phone *EVEN ON STANDBY* is closer than twenty-two metres). This could lead to mis-diagnosis if the results are recorded.
3) Creates noise pollution - how can you speak to a doctor for the 2-3 minutes you get if your (or anybody else in the ward!) phone is ringing?! The point of being in hospital is to recover - not carry on your work and day-to-day life! Hospitals aren't designed to provide entertainment and communication - they are not a cinema or an internet café!

Additionally, there are hundreds of day and residential patients in a hospital - if mobile phone usage was allowed the hospital would require a whole new base station in order to handle all of the users at once! Do we not campaign against all new base stations now? Especially around schools and hospitals? But yet we buy more & more mobile phones!

There was a study about six months ago which challenged these opinions, but it was discredited by other research. Mobile phones in a hospital are a no-no.

In summary, if you want to save people money on making calls to patients offer your own services - the NHS had no other options to consider. If they didn't accept Patientline, patients would have had no telephone and no TV at their bedsides!

Figures that made me think:
*A brand new state-if-the-art operating theatre costs about £200,000 and can be used for 3000+ operations a year; but just 1000 failed asylum seekers and their families cost us £30million in legal bills during their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th appeals last year.

IP Logged

Operations_Directo
Ex Member

Reply #68 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:15pm

Quote:
Can I assume you are Operations Director of Patientline?

No you cannot. I work in a totally different industry.

Quote:
If you make the case that the NHS cannot afford to provide this entertainment and communication service there is only one fair way to provide it.  That is for the patient to pay a fixed amount a day for the whole unit to be activated including the phone and the television.  But the incoming calls should be at normal BT 01 and 02 prices so that impoverished elderly relatives are not prevented from calling and so that overseas relatives in the USA are not barred from calling altogether. 

That's all very well but what do you think the daily cost would be? If "impoverished elderly relatives" or "overseas relatives" want to call they can still use the old fashioned way and call the nursing station. I say it again - no one is forced to use Patientline.

I should have made it clear from the start that I disagree with the inbound call costs. They are a rip-off. I received a couple of inbound calls but I immediatley called called the person back.

Quote:
I would also like to see the bar on mobile phone use lifted in hospitals so that your service is open to a little competition.

As others have said the use of mobile phones in hospitals is not barred because of Patientline but due to concerns over interference. I have no doubt that in the vast majority of cases mobiles will cause no problems but what if the death of a patient could be attributed to equipment malfunctioning due to the use of a mobile? Until the effects are better understood would it not be betterto err on the side of caution?

IP Logged

alexpeck

5 portions a day!

Reply #69 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:25pm

Quote:
As others have said the use of mobile phones in hospitals is not barred because of Patientline but due to concerns over interference. I have no doubt that in the vast majority of cases mobiles will cause no problems but what if the death of a patient could be attributed to equipment malfunctioning due to the use of a mobile? Until the effects are better understood would it not be betterto err on the side of caution?

A really simple test to show the effect a mobile phone has on equipment is to hold your phone near a Hi-Fi speaker or at the side of a traditional (Cathode-Ray Tube) TV during a call. The noises and picture disturbance are due to the intense radiation emitted - as patient monitoring equipment is a lot more sensitive and advanced than a speaker, the effects are much more pronounced. That's why phones have to have a power rating on the outside of the box now (W/m2) - so that you don't give your growing child something which creates a brain tumour in later life.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:32pm

Quote:

Patientline was the company that provided a system with the lowest costs. 01 or 02 numbers could not be used as the system is similar to VoIP (but using different protocols) and there are no geographic alternatives.

I can only assume you are a Patientline employee from the tone of your comments.  It seems as though faced with the inevitable sinking of the Patientline boat employees are forced into a desperate effort to defend the indefensible.

Don't give me that there are no geographic alternatives baloney.  A geographic number can be routed anywhere over Voip.  It only needs to get to the call centre for that hospital and they then direct it to the extension using their switch on the internal network.  You may be able to fool some of the people all of the time with such claims but can't fool all of the people all of the time.

If you need NTS you could have used 0844 at 1p per minute.  07PNS and 0844 are merely different variants of NTS at different charging rates.  At worst you should have used 0871 NTS at 10p per minute.

Patientline were either greedy or stupid in using k rate PNS and they will now reap the inevitable whirlwind as a result.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #71 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:44pm

Quote:

Rubbish! Patientline chose the most lucrative numbering scheme that it could get away with in avoiding any regulatory activity. It would have preferred to use 09 but couldn't. There is *no* technical reason why it could not deliver these services on 01, 02, 0800, 0844, 0871, in fact virtually any numbering scheme could deliver the call. Patientline chose 07 so it could get high yield. One would hope Ofcom will stop the scam, but it's unlikely. Just tinker at the edges so it seems Ofcom has done something.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:45pm

Quote:
I should have made it clear from the start that I disagree with the inbound call costs. They are a rip-off. I received a couple of inbound calls but I immediatley called called the person back.

Now we are starting to get somewhere.  If you had to use a Pay as You Go mobile phone in the weekday daytime and were charged 50p a minute because it is 0845, compared to the 5p per minute you would have paid for calling 01 or 02 on the same phone, then I am sure you would begin to agree that 0845 is a ripoff.

Of course mobile companies shouldn't be able to charge these cowboy rates for 0845 and even 0800 calls but because we have a pathetic excuse for a regulator known as Ofcom they amazingly can do it and yet also ontinue to sell to customers only their headline call costs for 01 and 02 calls.  Vodafone does not even admit to its ripoff 080/4/7 PAYG call costs in either its PAYG leaflet or on the PAYG part of its website.  Now if that isn't a disgrace I don't know what is.

It is not the principle of people paying a fair price for a fair service that is objected to.  It is people being told that 0845 and 0870 are just normal local and national rate calls (something that the same clueless regulator still incredibly allows to go on) when they are anything but to which we take grave exception.

I am sure you are not a bad chap but it seems that up to now you just have not thought deeply enough about the whole thing and have been taken in by the telco scam.

There is only one main reason that 084x calls cost so much than other calls and that is because most of the extra money goes to BT and Cable & Wireless to protect profits in their otherwise rapidly declining fixed line telecoms business.  As you rightly highlight most of the companies running 084x lines don't receive anything at all from the 3p or 4p per minutes that most telcos charge for the calls.  So in a way 0845 is an even bigger ripoff than 0870.

IP Logged

alexpeck

5 portions a day!

Reply #73 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:50pm

Quote:
I can only assume you are a Patientline employee from the tone of your comments.

lol, you seem to think that everybody is working for Patientline or an NHS director! Just like the other people you have accused, no I am not!

It appears that you haven't looked at the way the system works.
The number given to patients is allocated to an individual patient (not a bed, not a hospital). The number is given at registration and if a patient is moved to another ward or hospital the number can theoretically move with them too. This means the number is a personal number that redirects the calls to which bed the patient is now in. As noted previously VoIP is not used, it is a patented proprietory system with increased capacity and reliability (designed by the same company that connects UK ATM machines to the banks).

The system that directs the numbers is based outside of the hospital (nothing to do with the health service at all) and there are only four lines between Patientline & each hospital - Calls In, Calls Out, TV and System Feed.

It does not matter what Patientline charge - they are the cheapest that were willing to provide the service! If you would like to provide cheaper calls to patients you need to either argue directly with Patientline or set up your own company!

IP Logged

alexpeck

5 portions a day!

Reply #74 - Aug 1st, 2005 at 11:57pm

Quote:
There is *no* technical reason why it could not deliver these services on 01, 02

There are some technical reasons but it is likely these could be overcome by telecommunication experts. Economically though it would not be possible - the company is there to make a profit just like every other company out there! Don't forget they are providing a valuable service which only became available a few years ago! Why shouldn't they make a profit? Do we expect to buy a digital camera for the cost of the parts?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge