Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 510,633 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #45 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 4:56pm

Quote:
Its when you ring the 070 number they give you,that you hit the music for a while,before you get to the patient.

However at http://www.patientline.co.uk/inter_loc.asp?ID=332 they do helpfully point out that "If you have any trouble getting connected, call our Customer Care Centre on 0800 959 3100.

If you are outside the UK, our Customer Care Centre can be reached on +44 208 235 0918"

Can anyone here who has an actual friend in hospital at the moment give this a try with Patientline and see if they can get a +44 208 number for an actual patient.  Do you know anyone in hospital at the moment in the UK perhaps idb?  I'm sure Patientline would have a way to tell whether or not you were calling from outside the UK.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:02pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:09pm

If you are actually in hospital with the patient, you can also call them from the bedside free of charge,and they will allocate you an 070 number.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:11pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #47 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:11pm

The process for calling from overseas was confirmed in a letter I received from Patientline:

<<

Our only recommendation to bypass this situation which we accept is not ideal, is that the International caller phones 0044 208 235 0918, and pays for telephone time by credit card on behalf of the patient, we can then ask the patient to call out to the International numbers which we do enable on our system. 

>>

I haven't tried this as I don't know anyone who is ill at the moment!

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:18pm

How does it work, do Patient line have a switch in each hospital, with DDI to each bed.With the 070 number,s pointing at the DDI number,s if you see what i mean.

They seem to have some flexibility because if a patient changes bed they can keep the same inbound no.But they cant keep it if they move hospital.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:18pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:38pm

It has taken me well over half an hour to get the call price information from both BT Payphones and from Vodaphone for a Pay as You Go mobile on their SmartPlus tariff.

Both outfits started off by first demanding that I should know exactly what kind of tariff this number was and when I refused and said I had just been given the number by my friend they kept on trying to make excuses as to why they didn't have the cost.  A couple of transfers later to supervisors who were themselves exceedingly obstructive here are the prices:-

(a) BT Payphones.  Charge a predictably whopping and disgraceful 10p for 6 seconds at all times.  This translates into £1.00 per minute subject to a 30p minimum charge and a 10p connection charge.

(b) Vodafone charge a rather less disgraceful 50p per minute at all times.  This seems remarkably good value given what Patientline charge even on a BT landline (39/49p) and compared to Vodafone's weekday peak charge for 084/7 and 080 numbers of 30p per minute.  Of course I am assuming that the guy at Vodafone actually gave me the right prices.  He probably didn't and its proably 2 quid per minute.

In his prevarication the Vodafone supervisor suggested that tariffs for calling these numbers were not available on their website because it was "commercially sensitive information"! Roll Eyes  Yet it doesn't seem to be commercially sensitive to Vodafone's billing computer when it docks my account balance with the cost.

Not only do these people charge obscene prices but they even go out of their way to actively hide the facts of the matter. Angry
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 5:54pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #50 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:01pm

Quote:
It has taken me well over half an hour to get the call price information from both BT Payphones and from Vodaphone for a Pay as You Go mobile on their SmartPlus tariff.
This is one of the main problems with non-geo numbers - the providers can't even give accurate pricing information, either on a web site or if you call. There is a lack of understanding of the issues involved (no surprise).

For example, a call to 0388 123 4567 will have a different cost to one to 0388 123 9876 (I have made these numbers up and I *am* aware that the codes do not exist).

Ofcom once again can't get a grip on this very simple matter. BT has 9999 charge points, and whilst not all are in use, well over one hundred were being used the last time I checked.

The ability to predetermine a call cost in advance from a POTS line has virtually disappeared. From cellular phones - forget it. For internationally-originated calls, who knows.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:01pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:01pm

I just spoke to the Patientline call centre.

A gentleman called Ryan who I can only describe as ideal future material for training as a suicide bomber told me that it cost 49p peak and 39p off peak to call Patientline no matter how I called, whether from a BT Payphone, a mobile operator or a non BT telco.  He also maintained that Patientline ran its own telco and that was why the price was always the same from wherever you called.

He told me he knew he was right.  He would not accept he could be wrong and he claimed a supervisor was not available.  When I asked if he would also put his hand in a fire if his employers told him it was safe he disconnected the call.

I rang back and asked a more helpful young lady if I could speak to a supervisor.  I reported to the supervisor the nonsense being spouted by Ryan and his refusal to connect a call to a supervisor - he said he would listen to the tape and speak to Ryan.

I then asked about call costs.  He confirmed they were different with every call carrier and the price quoted was only from a BT landline.

Where do they find these little hitlers who work on customer service lines, who have one brain cell and yet who think they know everything.   No wonder Douglas Adams wanted to deport all these customer service people from the planet on the B Ark.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:06pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:05pm

Quote:
The ability to predetermine a call cost in advance from a POTS line has virtually disappeared. From cellular phones - forget it. For internationally-originated calls, who knows.

It seems to me that the ability to pre-determine these call prices is in fact universally available for all the telcos who route calls to them.

Its just that they are sufficiently uncaring about their customers that they can't give their clueless customer service staff (many of whom would struggle with the answer to what's 2+2) a customer service screen where they punch in the phone number and the price appears.

Since not having a conscience or an enquiring mind is a pre-requisite for almost any large company customer service call centre job most of the staff can't even seem to see that there is a problem!

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:06pm

Easymobile charge just 22p a min for calls to personal numbers.

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:08pm

Quote:
Easymobile charge just 22p a min for calls to personal numbers.

What a bargain!  I must make a 20 minute call straight away.  But hang on isn't 1899 cheaper and weren't you the one that told us.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:15pm

Quote:
What a bargain!  I must make a 20 minute call straight away.  But hang on isn't 1899 cheaper and weren't you the one that told us.

I wasnt promoting it in the cheapest call sense. I was merely trying to highlight the huge differences in prices to call these numbers.

BJ.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 6:35pm

Just tried a different tack with Vodafone and was transferred to a more intelligent life form working in their technical department.

He specifically had Patientline listed on the database and assured me calls are definitely 50p per minute at all times (compared to 30p per minute in the weekday daytime on Smartplus for an 01 or 02 number).

If the mobile phone operators can make a profit at this price then just why the hell does BT need 49p a minute on a fixed line?  I bet Patientline only get 15p per minute and BT is sticking 34p per minute in the pocket of its corporate trousers.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #57 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:22pm

Quote:
How does it work, do Patient line have a switch in each hospital, with DDI to each bed.With the 070 number,s pointing at the DDI number,s if you see what i mean....
It works (as far as I'm aware) by each hospital having its own personal number and when you dial this personal number you then have to enter their patient line customer number (having waited 30seconds until the end of the recorded speech).  If you do not know the patient line customer number of the person you are trying to call you have to speak to an operator and they'll check the records and probably connect you.

You are given the same customer number for any subsequent stays at that hospital.  I'm not sure if you would keep the number if you were admitted to another hospital but I doubt it.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:43pm

But the whole point of a Personal Number is that they are numbers where the call recipient has chosen the service he wants to use and is in control of the price his callers will be charged.  This service breaks all the rules by PatientLine setting the rates and by the Personal Number not directly leading to the person but only to one personal number that is shared by a call splitting account system.

Th point of a personal number is that you the call recipient choose to have one and the rate it costs in return for the facility of free forwarded calls to uk landlines, mobile phones and overseas fixed lines.  In this case none of the personal number facilities are running.  It is being run like an 0870 but taking the Personal number call rate.

Only an 0870 number could have been used for this application without Patientline being hung out to dry sooner or later.  I can't believe this hasn't blown up on them before now.  The world's so called journalists seem to be a lazier lot than I had ever imagined.

If Ofcom don't crucify PatientLine over this they might as well pack their bags and close their shutters right now.

Mind you the managers at the NHS who allowed this scam should be even more heavily condemned and/or fired by Parliament and the relevant government ministers. 

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #59 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:51pm

Quote:
If Ofcom don't crucify PatientLine over this they might as well pack their bags and close their shutters right now.
My guess at the outcome of the Ofcom 'investigation' is that Patientline will have to cease 070 numbering and shift to using 0871 numbers (these, as we know, are relatively high yield without the need for regulation). It will also have to reduce or stop the preamble to the call. Result - still unsatisfactory but Ofcom will be seen to have done something and Patientline will be reasonably happy with the alternative extortion numbers. That's my prediction anyway!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge