Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
BBC Watchdog now using 020 number (Read 102,853 times)
Freddie

Re: Pot calling the BBC Watchdog kettle ?
Reply #75 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 9:58pm

Now we need to get Mr Wogan to stop describing Children in Need's 0845 number as 'local rate'

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:36pm

Quote:
Now we need to get Mr Wogan to stop describing Children in Need's 0845 number as 'local rate'

I don't think he will be doing that the next time the appeal is on.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 10:39pm

Now I am feeling like Dorf because a post someone else made about the BBC You & Yours program using an 0800 number earlier today and my reply to that post saying that I copied in You & Yours on my Watchdog reply have both been deleted from the thread.

What is going on?

ALERT.  ALERT.  HACKER AT WORK Shocked

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #78 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:00am

Surprisingly I received a reply from the BBC (not Watchdog though) over my email of congratulations. It reads as follows:-
Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the new telephone number for 'Watchdog', which was forwarded to this department for reply.

I was pleased to read your very positive comments regarding 'Watchdog's' decision to use a geographical telephone number to contact the programme.  Please be assured that your comments have been registered on a daily log which is widely circulated throughout the BBC among programme makers and senior management.

The BBC is currently examining Ofcom's recommendations and considering its response to their consultation. No pan BBC policy decisions have yet been made. We have a clear policy of not using phone lines with the aim of making a profit (unless it is for charity), and different programmes use different assessments to decide which forms of telecom interactivity are most appropriate for them. Watchdog has decided to adopt a geographic number as they believe it is most appropriate for their audience.

I hope that this will give you a better insight into our position on this matter and would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for contacting the BBC with the strength of your views.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

BBC Information

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:24am

Quote:
Surprisingly I received a reply from the BBC (not Watchdog though) over my email of congratulations. It reads as follows:-

I must say this was a surprisingly well written and intelligent reply by BBC Information standards showing a strong awareness of matters such as the current Ofcom consultation.

I can only assume it was written by staff working for BBC Information in Glasgow or London as the Belfast BBC Information call and correspondence centre, run by Capita, always seemed to have had an ability only to turn out responses that contained unmitigated lies and untruths about 0870.  Of course it is much easier to be open and more honest when the organisation you work for has finally begun to see and repent the error of some of its ways on this matter.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #80 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 9:31am

Quote:
I must say this was a surprisingly well written and intelligent reply by BBC Information standards showing a strong awareness of matters such as the current Ofcom consultation...
I mentioned in my original email that the continued use of 0870 numbers by the BBC was against Ofcom recommendations but I didn't tell them about the consultation but they were probably informed by Ofcom in writing I can imagine.  I also said I was sending the email to a well known newspaper so that's probably why they felt they had to respond in case this was mentioned in a news paper.  They did not know which newspaper because I bcc'd them in all in.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #81 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:59pm

I don't think this has been posted - here is a BBC FOI response (not one of mine I would point out) to a request specifically regarding Watchdog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/freedom_of_information/selected_requests_and_respo...

More Beeb FOI at http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/freedom_of_information.shtml

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #82 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:12am

Quote:
I don't think this has been posted - here is a BBC FOI response (not one of mine I would point out) to a request specifically regarding Watchdog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/freedom_of_information/selected_requests_and_respo...

How do the BBC manage to claims that Questions 1 to 7 are to do with journalism, art and literature and that thus they don't have to answer them? Shocked Quite Incredible.

It seems that the BBC have almost no shame in their ceaseless and relentless attempts to perpetuate the 0870 scamming by any means at their disposal.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:27am by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #83 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:16am

Quote:
It seems that the BBC have almost no shame in their ceaseless and relentless attempts to perpetuate the 0870 scamming by any means at their disposal.
It also demonstates just how powerful Capita really is in its relationship with HMG.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:30am

Quote:
It also demonstates just how powerful Capita really is in its relationship with HMG.

So powerful that they can force the BBC to allow its public telephone based interface for viewer comments to be manned by a bunch of sulky and unhelpful halfwits seemingly especially handpicked for their total disinterest in and/or complete incomprehension of practically all policy based broadcasting issues.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2005 at 12:31am by N/A »  

IP Logged

jimbo2005

Reply #85 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 1:06am

Well not sure how long the 0208 number has been in place as well as the 0870, but at least the 0870 number for Watchdog no longer works, and a message on it advises you to ring 0208 535 1000!  Great!!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 8:20am

Quote:
Well not sure how long the 0208 number has been in place as well as the 0870, but at least the 0870 number for Watchdog no longer works, and a message on it advises you to ring 0208 535 1000!  Great!!!

This has to be a first.

Usually they always keep the NGN going too (saying they don't want to inconvenience those who have the old number)

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #87 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:10pm

WOW! I'm impressed.

I am one of a number of members who have emailed Watchdog and made FOI requests. Finally the message has got through.

Well done folks.

This shows it is possible for NGN's to be dumped and replaced by geographic numbers.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:11pm by PeDaSp »  

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #88 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:20pm

I have noticed they have corrected the mistake of displaying the number incorrectly on the website as 0208 535 1000 and now have it displayed as 020 8535 1000.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #89 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 9:00pm

Quote:
I have noticed they have corrected the mistake of displaying the number incorrectly on the website as 0208 535 1000 and now have it displayed as 020 8535 1000.

They have just displayed the number at the end of the programme as 0208.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge