Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
BBC Watchdog now using 020 number (Read 102,568 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Pot calling the BBC Watchdog kettle ?
Reply #60 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:04pm

Quote:
The issuing of this further major 020 number by C&W proves there is no technological obstacle to the use of geographic numbers for modern call centre operations.  The only reason they are not used a lot more is because they are less profitable/more expensive for the call centre operator.
I agree totally agree.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:09pm

Quote:
My plan is to email Watchdog and a few of their staff to congratulate them but mostly I wanted to ensure I cc'd some big-wig BBC bosses or other relevant head of depts in a hope that they will feel embarassed

bbb,

Paul Heiney, Nicky Campbell and Julia Bradbury are the presenters of WatchDog.  The other people in my email list are senior BBC management people (see below).  You may possibly recognise a certain Michael Grade?

I also copied in various relevant people presenting, researching and producing the You & Yours program for obvious reasons.

Like you I hope it will be the start of an unstoppable landslide against the use of 0870 which the BBC management, C&W and Capita cannot resist.  However I suspect that for now it is something which the Watchdog Producer and presenters have been able to insist on because of what they do and doubt it is the start of an immediate Beeb wide trend.  I do however think You & Yours should be able to get hold of 020 or 0500 for its phone calls on the strength of the Watchdog change.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 04 October 2005 22:17
To: paul.heiney@bbc.co.uk; nicky.campbell@bbc.co.uk; julia.bradbury@bbc.co.uk
Cc: michael.grade@bbc.co.uk; mark.byford@bbc.co.uk; mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk; mike.southgate@bbc.co.uk; stephen.whittle@bbc.co.uk; tim.davie@bbc.co.uk; jana.bennett@bbc.co.uk; jenny.abramsky@bbc.co.uk; ashley.highfield@bbc.co.uk; richard.lapthorne@cw.com; steve.double@cw.com; tim.stephens@cw.com; paul.pindar@capita.co.uk; rodney.aldridge@capita.co.uk; paddy.doyle@capita.co.uk; bruce.vander@bbc.co.uk; melanie.abbott@bbc.co.uk; rachel.schofield@bbc.co.uk; liz.barclay@bbc.co.uk; john.waite@bbc.co.uk; winifred.robinson@bbc.co.uk; will.yates@bbc.co.uk
Subject: Congratulations to Watchdog on Replacing Its 0870 Ripoff Line

Dear Watchdog,

Congratulations for finally belatedly getting the message about your ripoff 0870 number and adopting an 020 phone number instead, which is covered by the many inclusive calling plans on offer such as BT Option 3.

Now that you taken this welcome step I hope you will also update your website to remove the blurb about high call costs that were only applicable to your old 0870 phone number.  Of course it was good that Watchdog was at least complying with ASA guidelines on calling costs whilst it had its 0870 number, unlike most other BBC programs which stay stubbornly silent on the matter or continue to falsely claim they are "National Rate" calls (a possible offence under Part III of the Consumer Protetction Act 1987)

Also congratulations for being the first major BBC program to pressurise the BBC management to force Cable & Wireless (the Beeb's phone supplier) to give you a normal 020 phone number instead of a covert premium rate 0870 number.

Of course I do find it a little odd that you presumably find that you can now after all make use of "special call handling and routing capabilities that help us deal with your call more efficiently" on a normal priced geographic phone number.  Actually those of us who know about these things know that Cable & Wireless could have offered this facility on an ordinary 01/02 phone number all along.  The only possible reason for not doing so would probably be Cable & Wireless charging the BBC more for its phone lines and phone equipment and/or giving it less offsetiing discount on the BBC's large outgoing phone calls bill.

It does seem very odd that a public service organisation like the BBC has up to now been the uk's leading example of a non profit organisation inappropriately using and marketing these non geographic numbers.

Congratulations once again on making the change although I find it strange that it has taken so long (given the amount of criticism your program has received over the issue) and odd that you did not admit on air tonight why your phone number had been changed.

Let us hope that this change in your program's phone number will be the start of a trend for all BBC contact call centres and program phone lines to drop the use of 0870 numbers.

Regards,
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2005 at 1:59am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #62 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:18pm

0500?
No, let's have 0800 and seven digits or 0808 numbers (also with seven digits). Some clarity, consistency and convenience for the citizen consumer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:22pm

Quote:
0500?
No, let's have 0800 and seven digits or 0808 numbers (also with seven digits). Some clarity, consistency and convenience for the citizen consumer.

All other existing BBC Freephone numbers appear to be in the 0500 range.

Are new C&W numbers all 0800 or 0808 then and 0500 purely a legacy Freephone range?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #64 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 11:54pm

Yup, 0500 is the old Mercury FreeCall range. No new numbers issued - just lots apparently in the woodwork.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 2:02am

Quote:
Yup, 0500 is the old Mercury FreeCall range. No new numbers issued - just lots apparently in the woodwork.

You would think they would have been forced to convert to 0800 or 0808 by now given that there is, in any case, no well established public knowledge that 0500 is a Freephone number.

Anyone wanting to market that calling them is free is surely shooting themselves in the foot by using 0500?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #66 - Oct 5th, 2005 at 7:44am

But a Select Committe hearing, after considerable lobbying, managed to ensure the reverse - so we have this continued extraordinary mixture.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #67 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 10:23pm

old 0500 no longer being issued but instead being 'converted' to 0808.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #68 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 3:44pm

Finally got round to sending my email of congratulatons to Watchdog.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 4:15pm

Quote:
Finally got round to sending my email of congratulatons to Watchdog.

Who did you send it to?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #70 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:20pm

Quote:
Who did you send it to?
Everyone that was on your list above and also bcc'd david.derbyshire@telegraph.co.uk; jessica.bown@sunday-times.co.uk; oliver.lloyd@mailonsunday.co.uk; jeff.prestridge@mailonsunday.co.uk; dennis.rice@mailonsunday.co.uk; stephen.moyes@mirror.co.uk

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:24pm

Quote:
Everyone that was on your list above and also bcc'd david.derbyshire@telegraph.co.uk; jessica.bown@sunday-times.co.uk; oliver.lloyd@mailonsunday.co.uk; jeff.prestridge@mailonsunday.co.uk; dennis.rice@mailonsunday.co.uk; stephen.moyes@mirror.co.uk

Lets hope these people are grateful then.

Unfortunately I find Ms Bown is quite often in the habit of deleting her emails without reading them despite her previous big piece in the Sunday Times regarding the 0845 scam.

None of the Watchdog presenters replied to me which I find more than a little disappointing.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #72 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:29pm

Quote:
None of the Watchdog presenters replied to me which I find more than a little disappointing.
I don't expect any replies as such but apart from thank you what else would the presenters be able to say?  They are not going to comment on why they chose a geo and most of the BBC are on 0870's because that would put the BBC in a more difficult position of defending 0870's and not to mention get the presenters in trouble for probably discussing what the BBC would like to keep quiet - the money they gain from their use of 0870 numbers.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:39pm

Quote:
I don't expect any replies as such but apart from thank you what else would the presenters be able to say?  They are not going to comment on why they chose a geo and most of the BBC are on 0870's because that would put the BBC in a more difficult position of defending 0870's and not to mention get the presenters in trouble for probably discussing what the BBC would like to keep quiet - the money they gain from their use of 0870 numbers.

But they did comment a lot on having a new number. Wink

You say they would get in trouble for drawing attention to other BBC programs still having an 0870 but You & Yours have openly criticised both the whole 0870 scam and the BBC for being a part of it.  So I don't quite see exactly how your argument on this holds up?

They could say they had gone to 0870 because they were responding to viewers who had complained 0870 was not part of their inclusive calling plan scheme.  There wouldn't be a need for them to directly criticises other BBC programs for still having an 0870 number.  They could leave it to their viewers to do this.
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:40pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #74 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 7:56pm

Quote:
..You say they would get in trouble for drawing attention to other BBC programs still having an 0870 but You & Yours have openly criticised both the whole 0870 scam and the BBC for being a part of it.
I didn't know you & yours had criticised the BBC - I wish I could have saw that.
Quote:
They could say they had gone to 0870 because they were responding to viewers who had complained 0870 was not part of their inclusive calling plan scheme.  There wouldn't be a need for them to directly criticises other BBC programs for still having an 0870 number.  They could leave it to their viewers to do this.
Good point.
Companies not responding to emails when the email is bringing up something they don't like (ie highlighting the money they're getting from NGN's, etc and/or the ASA/CAP guidelines on call charge price announcements) is common I've found and not just related to the BBC.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge