Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26
Send Topic Print
OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION (Read 367,968 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: OFCOM - FUTURE OF 0870 NUMBERS - CONSULTATION
Reply #315 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:15pm

And a particularly disgraceful, outrageous and turncoat submission here by Carphone Warehouse Group which the nincompoops working in Ofcom's web publication department have managed to index and list as being The Local Radio Company.  I wonder where The Local Radio Company's own submission has gone to? Wink Shocked

See here for CPW group's submission:- www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/TheLocalRadioCompany.p...

Basically Carphone Warehouse admit that 0845 and 0870 should no longer be called BT Local Rate and BT Nationa Rate but think that everything else about 0845 and 0870 is fantastic and there is no need to interfere with a marvellous vibrant example of free competition and the private sector at its best.

Now is this the same Carphone Warehouse who sells monthly All 01/02 calling plans which it misdescribes to customers in its literature as being for all UK Fixed Line Calls? Shocked

One would have expected CarPhoneWarehouse to have been against the 0870 scam since the money they make on their call centres would seem to be much less than the potential loss of customers wanting to get cheap all uk calls to 01/02 numbers.

There is only one conclusion which is that CarPhoneWarehouse makes such a fortune ripping off their mobile customers for customer service calls from their mobile phones at colossal undisclosed rates that this is worth far more than any potential loss of extra business from extra customers moving to cheap all geographic calls on its TalkTalk Fixed Line product brand.

Carphone Warehouse are utter charlatans.  These rogues and the disgraceful Mr Charles Dunstone need to be unmasked for the utter hypocrites they are.  Not surprising from a company who regularly tries to bill me for calls dialled but not answered with TalkTalk. Angry
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:26pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #316 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:38pm

And 55 pages of bamboozle from UKCTA in two different documents demanding that the scamming be allowed to continue in the name of so called free commerce and marvellous value added services to the consumer.

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/UKCTA.pdf

and

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/UKCTAIndepenreport.pdf

Outrageous stuff but one would expect it from this outfit.  By contrast CPW's position on this whole deal as a so called low cost fixed line consumer telco is far more reprehensible.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:59pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #317 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:47pm

Just reading CPW response and I note:-

Quote:
In the absence of a detailed market-by-market analysis of those industries who use 084 and 087 numbers and whether consumers in those industries can be considered locked-in in contravention of UK consumer protection law, it is impossible to reach any reasonably safe conclusion regarding any consumer detriment that might arise from locked-in calls.
I'm guessing that CPW don't think they 'lock-in' their customers!!  Of course every single number that CPW use except for sales is an 0870 number!  You could of course email them but last time I did that it took a week to get a reply for which they apologised and the reply didn't really read my original email so I gave up.

Ofcom I would like to point out that apart from telephone, the only other method of contacting companies/gov departments is by email.  This often takes more than a couple of days to get a reply and more often than not they haven't really answered your email fully so you have to email them back again and then wait, yet again, for a response.  This is unacceptable and wouldn't happen with a phone call so of course most people are going to ring companies/gov departments so therefore we are locked-in to these number ranges for which we can't avoid.

As for Network for Online Commerce response, this is to be expected as they also use 0870 and Ofcom have admitted that of course these companies using 08x numbers don't want to lose their revenue share.

IP Logged

tripleeight

Reply #318 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:59pm

bbb_uk wrote on Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:47pm:
Just reading CPW response and I note:-

Quote:
In the absence of a detailed market-by-market analysis of those industries who use 084 and 087 numbers and whether consumers in those industries can be considered locked-in in contravention of UK consumer protection law, it is impossible to reach any reasonably safe conclusion regarding any consumer detriment that might arise from locked-in calls.
I'm guessing that CPW don't think they 'lock-in' their customers!!  Of course every single number that CPW use except for sales is an 0870 number!  You could of course email them but last time I did that it took a week to get a reply for which they apologised and the reply didn't really read my original email so I gave up.

Ofcom I would like to point out that apart from telephone, the only other method of contacting companies/gov departments is by email.  This often takes more than a couple of days to get a reply and more often than not they haven't really answered your email fully so you have to email them back again and then wait, yet again, for a response.  This is unacceptable and wouldn't happen with a phone call so of course most people are going to ring companies/gov departments so therefore we are locked-in to these number ranges for which we can't avoid.

As for Network for Online Commerce response, this is to be expected as they also use 0870 and Ofcom have admitted that of course these companies using 08x numbers don't want to lose their revenue share.

How about using post if you don't like emailing or having to pay to use the phone?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #319 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 11:10pm

tripleeight wrote on Dec 14th, 2005 at 9:59pm:
How about using post if you don't like emailing or having to pay to use the phone?

You would prefer post over email now wouldn't you TripleScam.  In fact in my experience cynical call centre professionals like you will usually only first give out a postal address (and not an email address) if a customer says that they want to complain to a higher level in writing.  You hope that by imposing the extra obstacle of envelope, paper, printer, stamp and trip to the postbox that you may never get that communication from the verminous customer scum you so despise and hate.

Can you tell me what would be different about the content of a letter from an email.  Well absolutely nothing but you hate emails don't you because you have found that customers are far more inclined to write them and send them than they ever were with a nice old fashioned lots of extra work letter.

Its all about seeing the customer as the enemy isn't it rather than as actually the source of the revenue that creates your profits and pays your ill deserved wages.

In your model you repeatedly scam and burn a customer you have fleeced into buying your lousy products and then when they leave them you have to spend money on conning new customers to joing you to be fleeced and burned in the same way.

Do you really call this job satisfaction?  I call it Rip Off Britain. Angry

IP Logged

DesG

Reply #320 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 1:16am

Yes, because the companies who promote 0870 numbers and have incompetent email handling, will respond to a letter of course.

I sent a letter to one of these 0870 companies, as I wanted a written reply to my question, I even sent it recorded delivery so they couldn't deny receiving it. Did I get a reply a month after it was confirmed delivered by Royal Mail, did I F&*K

So I sent another recorded delivery letter, and predictably a month after it was confirmed received by Royal mail, still no response.

What was your point again, oh yes, I remember now, you didn't have one.

Cheers, Des.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #321 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:05pm

DesG wrote on Dec 15th, 2005 at 1:16am:
I sent a letter to one of these 0870 companies, as I wanted a written reply to my question, I even sent it recorded delivery so they couldn't deny receiving it. Did I get a reply a month after it was confirmed delivered by Royal Mail, did I F&*K

So I sent another recorded delivery letter, and predictably a month after it was confirmed received by Royal mail, still no response.

My point exactly. It's strange that these companies do not want to talk about this revenue to me, the customer, but can't emphasise it enough in their responses to Ofcom's consultations. Ofcom has really set the cat amongst the pigeons!

If it's that important in their model, then why not admit it to the customer? Whilst I don't expect figures, a simple 'yes' or 'no' would suffice.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #322 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:25pm

Dave wrote on Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:05pm:
My point exactly. It's strange that these companies do not want to talk about this revenue to me, the customer, but can't emphasise it enough in their responses to Ofcom's consultations. Ofcom has really set the cat amongst the pigeons!

If it's that important in their model, then why not admit it to the customer? Whilst I don't expect figures, a simple 'yes' or 'no' would suffice.

What is so especially disgusting about all these call centres and the telcos who are in bed with them is not just that they wish to charge very large amounts for what should be a nearly free ordinary customer service phone call (although I do find that decision in itself highly offensive and not something they would tolerate in for instance the USA) but that they wish to continue to deceive customers that its a perfectly standard local rate or national rate call through the abusive link that will always exist under the current 084/7 codes.

They try to suggest that they are in favour of more price disclosure and so on but we all know perfectly well that if they are allowed to continue to use 084 or 087 numbers of any flavour for revenue share (even 0844 or 0871) they will tell their staff (in my view under threat of the sack even though the cynics who run these call centres will of course claim it was just due to a lack of personal knowledge by the staff that they give out the wrong prices) they will to continue to tell any customer who complains that "its only a local rate call" or "only a national rate call" "Sir/Madam".

They say that we at SayNoto0870 want to stop all their revenue share and that is why everything must in fact stay just how it is now with no change.  But the reality is that we are happy for them to have whatever revenue share they like as long as there are compulsory call price announcements and compulsory publication of call prices in any adverts for the numbers.  What we won't tolerate is the continued use of the disgraceful 084/7 local/national call rate lie.  Without that lie this disgraceful scam industry would never have built up to its current level.

But incredibly these charlatans have the nerve to claim it is we who are mad and that they provide special services and fantastic innovations that could just not be delivered as ordinary geographic calls.

Utter poppycock the lot of it.   These people are the sort of individuals who would sell their own grandmother for the sake of a nice little stack of £50 notes.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #323 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:17am

I refer to the UKCTA response to the 'info' consultation at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_info/responses/UKCTA.pdf which includes the following patronising paragraph:

<<
UKCTA members are also disappointed that consumers do not appear to understand that calls to NTS ranges provide not only connectivity but also a service and so will cost more than basic geographic calls. [...]

Taking away a revenue stream, whatever its size, from service providers will ultimately mean that the costs will have to be recovered elsewhere. This will apply equally for the high street bank through to a government body or doctors surgery. [sic]
>>

Presumably this was written by an idiot. I am a consumer and fully understand why you can't let go of NTS. Why on earth is a routine call to any UK customer service business, or calling HMG to complain about inefficiency, or calling police forces, or getting in touch with a casualty bureau considered to be a 'service'. They just don't get it do they. Clueless numpties. Clueless highly paid numpties.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:21am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #324 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:23am

It gets even worse:

<<
Question 1: Do stakeholders consider that these proposals are reasonable and are likely to be effective in improving the information available to citizens and consumers about PRS? UKCTA certainly agrees that consumers should have access to the information they need to make informed choices; and this certainly includes appropriate information about NTS charges. However, the main issue is to ensure that consumers read and familiarise themselves with such information.

Question 2: Do stakeholders consider that these proposals are reasonable and are likely to be effective in improving the information available to citizens and consumers about NTS call prices? As explained above, many communications providers already provide such information, and this can only be effective if customers take the time to read all the information currently available. We do also have concerns that simply increasing the types of information which must be made available may lead to information fatigue. Fundamentally, we believe that consumer information should be as simple as possible.
>>

Translation: we do not want the public to have any improved understanding regarding how much we are scamming out of it.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #325 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:27am

UKCTA members:

AOL
Opal Telecom
AT&T
Opera Telecom 
Cable & Wireless
Redstone
Centrica
Telefonica
Caudwell Communications
THUS
Colt Telecom Group
Tiscali
Easynet
Your Communications
Fibernet
Group Viatel
Wanadoo 
Gamma Telecom
Global Crossing
IDT
Kingston Communications
MCI
Abovenet
ntl
Vtesse

I need say no more.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #326 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:49am

Quote:
UKCTA members are also disappointed that consumers do not appear to understand that calls to NTS ranges provide not only connectivity but also a service and so will cost more than basic geographic calls. [...]

I'm a consumer and I find that the vast majority of companies don't want to enter into any conversation about whether revenue is generated or not.

The only company who I have experienced who were upfront is Shoosmiths Solicitors who provided a list of geographical alternatives.

I ask the UKCTA, just what sort of 'service' deserves 7.51p/min to be held in a queue? There are no figures to go on, appart from for particular companies, so we can only speculate on how much they actually get. Of course, the point that these cretins cannot understand is, what can be represented as a simple algebraic equation:

x = 7.51 - r

where r is the amount of revenue they receive and x is thus the amount of the telephone call itself, the amount left for the telcos (as a whole) as it were.

These must be the sort of people who are not aware that, at most, a call to a UK geographical number is 3p/min. Therefore we should expect the revenue, r to be equal to or greater than 4.51p/min during the weekday daytime. Somehow I doubt that this is the case.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #327 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:59am

• AOL - This poor company had to switch from freephone to 0870 for its internet support.  Cry
  • Redstone - Refer to this company's response to "Way forward".... Oh, and take a look on Grumbletext
  • Caudwell Communications - Homecall home phone service uses 0870.
  • Colt Telecom Group - See "way forward" response.
  • Tiscali - Tiscali....
  • Your Communications - Charges callers for the provision of phone lines into student accommodation, on a per minute basis, rather than the students themselves.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #328 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 4:51pm

Simply because the same thing would apply.  I could write to them and if I'm lucky they'll answer my question(s) fully but if they don't then that means waiting ages for a reply and then having to write to them again pointing out they never really answered my last letter.

Only if the query a consumer has with a company/gov department is straight forward yes / no type response do you not need to email/write back to them again and ask for a more clear explanation or even for them to just read the email.

A phone call, due to its nature, is better simply because if they become vague with your query or don't answer it fully then you could ask them more questions until they do, or they put you in touch with someone that does know.

Just imagine what would happen if companies/gov depts had to provide an announcement that they are "making x pence per minute"?  The simple answer consumers would become aware that revenue sharing actually exists and would complain for being kept in a queue for over 20+mins before someone answered.  Eventually, after enough people complain, the companies/gov depts that are earning thousands/millions from these calls would be forced to use geographical numbers or something similar otherwise lose potential customers (if applicable).

Before this consultation, many companies were saying they only used the 08x numbers for their features like call routing but going by the responses that I've read most are worried over losing their revenue.

Any company that is genuinely interested in an 08x for its advanced routing features has no need to complain about loss of revenue simply because these features would still exist on the 0870 numbers if ofcom's preferred proposal is adopted.  Basically, 0870 would likely cost the same as geographical (and possibly be included in inclusive mins, etc) and companies could still use the 0870 for its additional features.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2005 at 5:02pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

tripleeight

Reply #329 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 4:57pm

Dave wrote on Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:59am:
  • Your Communications - Charges callers for the provision of phone lines into student accommodation, on a per minute basis, rather than the students themselves.

Leaving aside line rental: I doubt very much if students of any Uni could afford to pay for incoming calls with the level's of debt they now have to take on when studying for a degree.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2005 at 4:58pm by tripleeight »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge