Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NTL - Utterly disgusting!!!! (Read 31,488 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
NTL - Utterly disgusting!!!!
Oct 5th, 2005 at 3:15pm

I have NTL freedom, which gives me NTL Internet (when they feel like it!!) over a BT line.

Today I dialed up as usual, and it wouldn't connect, however I heard voices on the phone, so I listened in and the announement said "Soory, the number you called could not be recognised, please check and call again"

This was the usual NTL dial up number, and the fact that it's not been recognised, is a failure on NTLs part, and they should fix it, if I were to report it.

However, thanks to this site, I called their freephone number, instead of 0870, and was given another freephone number to check the status.  As far as NTL are concerned, everything is running fine.

I then went to speak to customer services, and told them of the problem, and they said that I should call their 090 number!!!   I protested strongly, and said that the problem is a fault on your end, and I should not have to pay to report this problem.  She then said that instead I could call a free number, so I said, "Thankyou"

She began to read out the number, and gues what, 0870!!

I then protested, and said that I should not have to call an 0870 number, to report a fault in their equipment, and pointed out that it's a premium rate number.  Her response was that unlike other ISPs, who charge £1.50 for technical support, they were only charging 0870 rates.

I then argued that I was not after technical support, I was reporting a fault in their service, and said asked if I could have a geographical number instead.  She said that the only way would be to call their 0870 number!!  I then started to complain even more and said that I shold not be phoning premium rate numbers to report a fault with their systems.  During that, they hung up on me!!!

This is totally disgusting.  I am not after technical support.  I am reporting a fault with their service, which in theory they should pay me to do, not the other way around!!

Of all the companies that I have dealt with, that rip us off with NGN phone numbers, this is by far the worse abuse I have had yet.  The only reason why I am here to tell the tale now, is because my Dad on the downstairs computer, uses Virgin.

And of course, I could cancel my service with immediate effect, and not pay my next months service, but after last time, when they messed up my payments, they just get Wescot to deal with the matter, even though I had paid!!  Imagine the trouble this time, if I were to refuse to pay!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Re: NTL - Utterly disgusting!!!!
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 3:15pm

NTL are notorious for customer service - September's Which Magazine rates them as the worst and has a specific 'don't buy' rating for them.  Most people with NTL have a story to tell which is just as well because we've just shunned their £9.99 a month broadband without set up fees in favour of plusnet with a £58.75 set up and £14.99 per month (we only need it for 9 months), but at least no stupid usage limits!  We haven't actually got Plusnet yet so if any horror stories about them or if you know of a cheaper provider then please let me know Grin

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2005 at 7:28pm

Well, just seen their service status now, and they now acknowledge that their 0808 dialup number isn't working, which was bought to their attention at 11am today!!

If I had been allowed to report it to customer services yesterday, then they would have found out yesterday instead.

I have managed to get back on with an 0800 number from them, but for some reason, I cannot enter secure sites, meaning I can't log into MSN, can't check my e-mails, can't sign on to ebay (but I can browse), can't do my internet banking, and can't do any internet shopping.

Just hope, now they know about the problem, it will be sorted out soon!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 3:28pm

Their service status now shows as resolved!!  At just after 1400 hours today, they consider it back to normal.

Well, I'm still using the 0800 number, that doesn't allow access to secure sites, because their 0808 number is still not working (as of 1515 hours)

But who is going to call their premium rate number, to put them right!!

Also, they still haven't replied to my e-mail of 2 days ago, when I pointed out the problem to them.  No reply certainly gives an incentive to call their premium rate number to give an update.

I will instead be calling their customer services, to cancel my account, I've had enough of them!!

IP Logged

anadin

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 5:28pm

I'm with Telewest and they're being taken over by NTL soon.  God help us all.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 7:57pm

Received an e-mail back from NTL, saying that the 0800 number is for use if you have an NTL cable line, rather than a BT line.

Although the service can still be used, on a BT line, the problems that happened to me, are quite common.

They then said that they had trouble with their 0808 number, which they are hoping to fix shortly.

Well, I've been waiting since 2pm on Wednesday, and they still haven't sorted it out!!

Their status page, is again updated, to say that the problem is still ongoing, so at least they do acknowledge it's not sorted out!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 2:00pm

Quote:
We haven't actually got Plusnet yet so if any horror stories about them or if you know of a cheaper provider then please let me know Grin

As an ex Plusnet customer I cannot recommend Plusnet at all, especially for broadband.  They are always engaging in new scams to offer cheap headline  broadband prices while offering a shoddy service.  Their latest ruse on their cheaper broadband products is to disconnect people for inactivity after a certain number of minutes and force you to reconnect.  In other words back to a dial up modem situation at faster speeds!

I would recommend my non agressively marketed but ultra reliable broadband ISP - Freedom2Surf.  www.f2s.com

I have had personal dealings by email with Lee Srafford the MD of Plusnet that show him to be a very rude and abrasive individual who hides from difficult questions.  In other words almost as bad as the management of Easyjet.  Also the customer support staff of Plusnet were always universally rude and abrupt in my experience.

For the best broadband deals check out:-

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/summarylist.asp

Although beware that the prices quoted when ranking 512k, 1MB or 2MB services do not include VAT.

I think F2s's wires only connection price with no lock in or 12 month contract is 40 quid.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:32pm

But they have a usage limit of only 2GB per month! Sad  I think we're going for Plusnet unless anyone else can suggest a broadband ISP with no limits, a montly contract, and a fee of £14.99 or less with a £58.75 activation fee.

I've PM'd you about this otherwise we'll end up being told off by the mods for going off topic again Embarrassed Tongue Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2005 at 7:55pm

Well, on Saturday, it was all sorted out, however they're back to their old tricks again.  It went fine at 8am this morning, but at 10am, got the message again "Sorry this number has not been recognised"

I will be phoning up customer services tomorrow, and cancelling my account.  This is beyond a joke.  In total 4 days of no internet use.  Only been able to use the internet, because my Dad has a computer downstairs on Virgin.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 9:57am

Problem still not sorted out.  Called the customer services on their freephone number, and was greeted with a recorded announement "Due to very high call volumes, you might want to ring back later, or at the weekend when we're less busy, press 1, if you still want to talk to someone"  And if you think that's poor customer service, then the best bit is yet to come!!

I did get through to someone in about 5 minutes.  I explained the problem, and was told that BT sorted out the problem the other day, this is an independant issue, and I have to phone technical support.  I explained that this is the attitude I got last week, and I'm not here for technical support, I'm reporting a fault.  She insisted the problem is sorted out, and I have to phone technical support.

I told her that I'm paying for a service that isn't being provided, and she just said in a very rude manner "Well, there's no refunds, because it's BTs fault"  I said that I will be cancelling my account straight away, and she said in a strop "Fine, I'll pass you to disconnections"

This is rudeness in the extreme.  I wish I had a tape recorder, as I would only be too happy to inform the local radio station in the area where the managing director lives, and make sure he listens in!!

Anyway, disconnections were slightly more helpful.  She said that she would contact technical support, and they would investigate and give me a ring back later on, and if they find that they are at fault, I would be given a refund.  I also told her of the attitude of the previous person I spoke to, and she apologised and said that I am entitled to a refund.

Well, the tale goes on, and thanks again to my Dad for letting me use his internet connection whilst mine is out of use!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 10:08am

Quote:
This is rudeness in the extreme.  I wish I had a tape recorder, as I would only be too happy to inform the local radio station in the area where the managing director lives, and make sure he listens in!

This is the modern world of British customer service where the sulky bored and incompetent humanoid employed by the company is always right and you the customer are always wrong.

Its worse on somewhere like Easyjet or Ryanair where if you dare challenge them over any part of their appalling customer policies at checkin they threaten to exclude you from the flight and if you dare challenge any part of their inflight policies (for instance why the passenger in front is allowed to recline his seat fully on to me when this doesn't leave room to open the meal tray in my seat properly) they accuse you of being difficult and suggest they might have to physically restrain you for the hostility shown merely in your voice towards them.

This is the modern world of British customer service where the staff come first and customers come last.

IP Logged

AlanD

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:22pm

Quote:
But they have a usage limit of only 2GB per month! Sad  I think we're going for Plusnet unless anyone else can suggest a broadband ISP with no limits, a montly contract, and a fee of £14.99 or less with a £58.75 activation fee.

I've PM'd you about this otherwise we'll end up being told off by the mods for going off topic again Embarrassed Tongue Cheesy Grin

I went for Euro1net. They do 512kbps with unlimited downloads for £240 for two years with no setup fees. At present they have a special offer to upgrade you to 1MB for the same charge.  (And if you quote code 175536, I get an extra month free for the introduction!)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 12:04am

Quote:
I went for Euro1net. They do 512kbps with unlimited downloads for £240 for two years with no setup fees.

Doesn't this assume that Euro1net will stay in business for the next 2 years and/or that any successor companies that take them over will honour your up front two year payment?

Me thinks that by giving such a small company your money up front you are taking quite a big risk.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 5:51pm

Well, after my experience with NTL, I'm not committing to anyone for 2 years!!  Imagine if NTL freedom e-mailed me last month, and wanted this committment.

Well, still got no internet.  Been like this since Monday morning.  Technical support never phoned back as promised.

Called up again today to complain at 11am, and after waiting in the call queue for half an hour (thankfully on freephone), and the guy on the phone was more polite, and apologised about not being able to put me through to technical support.  I then went through to disconnections, and the guy there was helpful as well.  He actually spoke to technical support, who were going to phone me back straight away.

So, I thanked him for his help, and waited for the phone to ring, and waited, and waited, and I'm still waiting now.  Even though he spoke to technical support who promised a call back, yet again they didn't bother.

IP Logged

AJR

Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 6:53pm

UK Online (http://www.ukonline.net) looks good value at 9.99 for 1Mb, with no download limit. Payment is monthly but minimum term of 12 months.

Does anyone have any experience of this company?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge