Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NTL - Utterly disgusting!!!! (Read 31,642 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: NTL - Utterly disgusting!!!!
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 9:31pm

Quote:
UK Online (http://www.ukonline.net) looks good value at 9.99 for 1Mb, with no download limit. Payment is monthly but minimum term of 12 months.

Does anyone have any experience of this company?

Its only available at this price if you live on one of the very limited number of unbundled BT exchanges where they offer this service.

Have you tried entering your phone number into their availability checker yet?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 11:10am

Decided to e-mail NTL to make a complaint about their service, detailing all the info that has been discussed in this forum, the rudeness of their staff, them expecting me to call a premium rate number.  I decided to wait a couple of weeks, to make sure the service is back to normal, and sent an e-mail last night.  Got a swift reply back this morning.

Dear Sir

Thankyou for your recent email.

I can only apologise for the problems that you have experienced. The fault that was logged was in fact a problem on the BT network. They were not fully aware of this and neither were ourselves until BT actually reported it to us. In regards to this issue they gave us no time frame in which they would solve the problem but just continued to update us, information which we then placed onto the website and via recorded messages.

All of our customer service agents are not technical trained and therefore when a technical issue does arise they have to inform the customer to contact our technical support department, this also applies to any fault reporting as well. Once again i can only apologise for the way that the agent may have spoken to you.

In regards to any call backs, we have a system in place which means that if there are calls waiting we have to respond to them first. Now due to the call volume at the time we were unable to make any call backs at anytime.

The issues that you have given us in your email will be looked into and dealt with. Any formal complaint that you wish to lodge woudl actually need to be placed in a letter and our customer liaison team will look into that and contact you either in letter format or telephone.

Kind Regards,

Stephen

ntl: Freedom Support Team

So it would appear it's NTL's policy of making customer call a premium rate number to report a fault, and it seems strange that it's BT who told them of the problem.  I actually told them of the problem 1 day earlier, yet they didn't believe me!!

Their customer services can't be that well trained, if they can't lodge a simple complaint about a fault with the service.  Even if it's not them dealing with it, if they get loads of phone calls reporting not being able to connect, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that there is a problem.  NTL should be contacting BT, not the other way around.  How would NTL know about this problem if BT hadn't told them.  They would have just denied having a problem as nobody is allowed to report it without paying for the privilege.

Before writing this, I e-mailed back and asked for the address to write to, to make an official complaint, and got a swift reply back.

Dear Customer

Thankyou for your recent email

The address you iwll need is

Customer liaison team
Ntl Freedom
Ntl House
Bartley Wood Bsuiness Park
Hook
Hampshire
RG27 9XA

If you add in the cover letter FAO Managing director they will then be able to pass it onto the relevant department

Kind Regards,

Steve

Anyone on this board know of any e-mail address for the board of directors, as I feel that saying FAO managing director might not reach his office, but putting his name might.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 11:17am

As you feel so strongly on this I suggest you reach deadlock with NTL and then take your complaint to www.otelo.org.uk for resolution.

I would demand compensation from NTL and see if they coughup.  I suggested £50 with Vodafone after being cut off after waiting on hold for their customer services for an hour twice and they then offered £60.  Suggest to NTL they compensate you with £50 as they admit they are fault.  If they won't pay up take the complaint to Otelo.  You are more than entitled to £50 for the value of your wasted time and effort.  Only if a company like NTL actually has to pay out money will their management sit up and take notice.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 4:17pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #18 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 3:08pm

Just received this joke of an e-mail.  I had copied the e-mail to both enquires, and support.  The previous e-mails were from support, this one is from enquiries.

Dear Customer.
Thank you for your email.

I'm afraid we will  not be able to give you any credit adjustment for the loss of service during that period of time, because we did have a problem with the server at the time and we did have a recording message about that on our line. he service your on also is free dial up service. I am sorry about the incovience made in that period of time.

Kind Regards,

royhema

ntl: Freedom Support Team

The recorded message, was just "Sorry the number you have called has not been recognised"

So, I'm on free dial up!!  Why should that make a difference, I pay a monthly fee for a service that wasn't provided!!  Does that mean that if I was on broadband then I might be treated differently as a customer!!

And no mention about the rudeness of their staff!!

Definitely worth taking the matter with otelo then!!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 3:10pm by Shiggaddi »  

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 4:25pm

I suggest you email simon.duffy@ntl.com, who is their Chief Executive Officer, with cc to neil.berkett@ntl.com their Chief Operating Officer and cc to david.thatcher@ntl.com their Managing Director of Consumer Sales and Marketing.

Ask for £100 compensation for all the aggravation and rudeness and unhelpfulness of their customer service staff + attach the offending emails.

See http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/whoswho/
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 4:26pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 6:17pm

Thankyou NGM for your help on this matter, and I'll certainly be e-mailing the top brass at NTL!!

I e-mailed customer services earlier with this:

Hello

Thankyou for your correspondance

Please can you justify why I cannot receive a rebate for your lack of
service.

Also, you did not address the problem of your customer service agent who
behaved in an appaling manner.

Can you read my e-mail again, and come up with a more satisfactory solution.

Please note that I am also very unhappy with the refusal to refund my
account.  You failed in your duty to provide a service, and I ask again, am
I going to be refunded.  I have paid £15 for 30/31 days service, but for 6
days of that, I recieved no service.  Taking payment for the days which a
service is not provided is in breach of the sale of goods act 1982.

You do not appreciate the gravity of the situation, and a blatant refusal to
credit is unacceptable.

I would also like to remind you, that there are other internet service
providers in the market, and as a customer I am free to choose my provider,
based on quality of service provided, and customer service received.

I would also like to point out that if I do not get a satisfactory result, I
am taking the matter to otelo for resolution.

I have suffered a great deal of inconvenience, and wasted time calling your
call centre, and attempting to access the internet.

I await your reply, and hope you come to a different conclusion this time,

Regards

(my name)

And got this reply back.

Dear Customer.
Thank you for your email.

But I'm afraid to say you will not be getting a refund fro 6 days loss of service. The package you taken is a FREE dial £15 you pay us for is for call (which is call credit). I do apologise for the inconvenient at the time. I do apologise again but we will not be able to give you a refund on this case. NTL do not give refund for any BT fault. the 6 days outage on dial up, the server was down at BT end. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to call me on 0870 445 0445 ext 2614 or email me back

Kind Regards,

royhema

So, they are dodging the issue by saying that I'm paying £15 for call credit, and they're providing me with free internet, and what they failed to provide, is something that I'm getting free, but as I'm getting what I'm paying for (the calls) then I'm not entitled to a refund.

Well, I pay through the nose for £15 worth of calls that I do not need to use fully, and which I would not use at all, if I didn't have free internet with it.  Who in their right mind would pay NTL £15 for the privilege of £15 worth of calls, where you pay more if you use more, and still £15 if you don't?

The only thing that makes the deal attractive, is the "free internet" that I'm getting.

I shall be contacting the directors, and copying all e-mails that I've received.  Lets hope that they see things differently.

On top of that, no mention at all about the rudeness of their staff!!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 6:20pm by Shiggaddi »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 6:26pm

Customer Services in most large faceless multinational companies only employ unthinking and uncaring numb skulls programmed to patronise and fob off their customers.  If one complains to the top brass it may actually get things changed and/or get you some compensation.

Complaining to the CEO of Vodafone got me £60 of pre-pay call credit as compensation!

Looking for About Us and then Corporate Citizinship or Shareholder Information on most websites usually eventually leads you to a list of the directors of the company.  Site Map also often comes in handy in this regard!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 6:28pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 7:09pm

I have just been to the link you provided, and yes it does indeed list the board of directors.  I cannot find their e-mail addresses though.  Did you find out from another source, or by the common logic of firstname.surname@ntlworld.com

If so, it could be surname.firstname@ntlworld.com.

Anyway, I shall certainly be taking this to the CEO, just hope he's not on at the start of his 3 week golfing holiday!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 7:16pm

By common logic of firstname.surname usually applying.  Failing which it is usually asurname, surnamea, firstnamel, firstnamelastname or firstname.  You can also ask for a Read Receipt and emails normally bounce if the email addresses don't exist.

Or you could call their press release contact Judith Edmiston on 028 9020 6379 / 07909 906 979 to confirm if these are correct.

See http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=803
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2005 at 7:17pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:19pm

Yesterday, I called Judith for clarification, and she was most helpful.  She confirmed that the board of directors do indeed have the e-mail address of firstmame.surname@ntl.com

She also said that if I get any problems, then just give her a call back, and she will be happy to find out any information I need.  Now thats what I call helpful customer service.  Certainly gives me a bit of confidence that at board level, their attitude is different to that in customer services!!

I sent an e-mail to the 3 people you mentioned NGM, and got a reply back from one of them.

Dear Mr (name removed)

Thank you for taking the time to write to me personally.  Please accept my profound apologies for the most unsatisfactory experience you have received.  I have asked for your issues to be resolved as quickly as possible and I will personally follow this up in the next few days.

Kind Regards

Neil Berkett - COO

In my complaint I also bought up the subject that I should be entitled to £50 compensation, along with a copy of the offending e-mails, which did of course include my original complaint.  Just hope they're as forthcoming as vodafone was to NGM.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:34pm

I find that writing to the directors of companies often brings better results than letters to customer services.

Where the directors of a company merely pass my email back to customer service or ignore it I generally try to take my business elsewhere as much as is humanly possible.

The About Us and Corporate Governance sections on the Site Map of a large company are often a mine of useful information, whereas Contact Us usually only points to the customer service department staff.  And in my experience Customer Services would often be much better off being retitled the Customer Contempt department.  Sadly very few of these customer service staff suffer any direct financial penalty if customer numbers decline or complaint numbers increase.  If this was the case then perhaps they might often be far more helpful and responsive.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2005 at 7:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #26 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 2:55pm

I have today got a letter back from NTL.

However Neil only passed my complaint back to customer services, who instead of sending an e-mail, decided to write a letter instead (perhaps they think their service is so bad, I might not be able to connect to read it!!)

Basically they cannot make a refund on the grounds that the outage affected them and loads of other ISPs, and that the service is not gauranteed against such outages.

They also said that because I didn't call technical support, they could not determine whether it was a fault with my computer, my phone line, or their systems.

And no mention of the rudeness and the way I was spoken to.

However, whilst writing this, I received a call on my mobile from NTL, saying that there is this outstanding issue (they were not informed of my more recent complaint, only the fact that they have on file an unresolved issue)

They have agreed to credit my next bill with £15 which covers one months service.

Maybe not the £50 I was asking for, but I won't be cancelling my account just yet!!

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 5:02pm

Just seen that they have billed my credit card with the £15, and not given me a credit after all!!

So, a phone call to NTL, and they said they will be crediting the December bill.  Looks like I'm stuck with them a little while longer.

So the promise of crediting my next bill, wasn't exactly truthful.

At least this time Customer services answered the phone straight away.

They try every trick in the book to keep customers for that little while longer.

Looks like the earliest I can leave them is in January now, and thats assuming they credit my December bill.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 7:46pm

if this is an extra charge, demand a chargeback.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #29 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 8:26pm

No, it's not an extra charge, it's the payment for the monthly internet bill, which I was told would be waived as compensation for their lack of service.

Upon calling up customer services, they just said I would now get the credit to my bill next month, which I'm hoping will now happen.

As my bill date is the 12th, and they contacted me on the 10th, they obviously didn't get a chance to tell their billing department to credit my account in time, which is quite convenient to NTL, as it means another months service from them!!

But I suppose as the billing is done in arrears, I could in theory cancel at the end of this billing period, and not expect another bill from them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge