Send Topic Print
INDIAN CALL CENTRES (Read 47,823 times)
rickuk80

What happened to Customer
Service?

Birmingham
INDIAN CALL CENTRES
Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:38pm

Is it just me that gets annoyed by call centres being shipped out to India???

I recently moved from HSBC as they shipped customer services to India. I transferred all my accounts to Lloyds TSB and they promised they had no plans to send calls out of the UK, yet I phoned today and found they have.

Does anyone know a bank that has strong intentions to keep their staff employed in the UK?

Rick
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:39pm by rickuk80 »  
rickuk80  
IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: INDIAN CALL CENTRES
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:47pm

Natwest is advertising using their "another way" slogan, to state that they want to keep their call centres in the UK.

Alliance and Leicester haven't made such a big issue of it, but I believe they want to keep things in the UK as well.

However, just searching previous posts you will find that ironically, these 2 are the worse abusers of NGN numbers!!

Lloyds TSB decided over 2 years ago to send their work out to India, and close some of the UK call centres.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 9:38pm

Try First Direct.

BJ.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:40pm

First Direct is part of HSBC!

The Co-Op (They do use 0870's, but do release the GN's when requested) dont have indian call centres.
I think the current call centres are in Salford, Skelmersdale and Stockport

Quote:
As more and more call centres relocate abroad, we're commited to keeping all our call centres in the UK. After all, its our belief that UK-based Customer Service Advisors have a better understanding of your needs.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 5:17pm

Well I like speaking to Indians, they are delightful, but surely there are enough in the UK to avoid moving call centres to India.

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:03pm

Quote:
Well I like speaking to Indians, they are delightful, but surely there are enough in the UK to avoid moving call centres to India.

But not enough who are willing to work for the pittance they pay call centre employees in India!

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 10:48pm

No really that is not correct. In India they are quite well paid relatively at present, as far as current Indian pay rates generally are. Many of the people working in Indian call centres are actually Indian graduates. India has not yet suffered the civilisation economy overhead decline!

What most people in the UK and much of the rest of the West do not any longer understand is this economic delusion cycle of so-called modern civilisation. What happens is that initially as modern countries become civilised they industrialise and capitalise. At the start costs are relatively low, because tax overheads are low, housing costs are low, living costs are low etc. Companies can invest and generate good returns on their investment. Then as the economy becomes more successful unions clamour for more and more pay; they want to live to the same standards as the managers and industrialists, but without investing any capital and without taking any business risks. Then they clamour for a Welfare state, sickness benefits, unemployment benefit, child benefits, tax credits, state pensions etc. So they elect a different government that will give them these, but without explaining the real costs and eventual effects on their National economy.

Gradually the whole of their economy grids to a halt, because it can no longer compete globally. It has become encumbered with enormous tax overheads which have to be paid from somewhere - and these have become a millstone around the neck of that economy.

So global business moves its capital and wealth-generating activity to a country or region which is "emergent". That means that that region does not yet have these debilitating tax overheads, which make it impossible for business to generate an adequate return on investment.

Ultimately the countries and regions which had developed and adopted the wonderful Welfare state systems become the "banana republics" and their economies collapse. It is all a bit like Orwell's "Animal Farm" but in a slightly different way.

So India at present is a relatively low cost area to which many companies are moving various operations like call centres and software development. But watch what happens; gradually their costs will rise and they will go through this same cycle. Then it will become too costly to run these operations there and global businesses will move their operations to other lower cost areas. This is the cycle. Look at what happened in Japan after the last world war. It is now too expensive in Japan to undertake most business activities. Those which were vibrant and profitable there have for the most part now moved elsewhere. This is the pattern of unrealism in the world, and it is this which is exploited by Politicians to fool the people into believing that they can all live like the millionaires, if only the people vote for their party!
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005 at 10:53pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

richyrich

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 12:56am

I think A&L stated in their Annual Report that they were not intent on moving call centres abroad. As already mentioned NatWest aren't.

Beware though the A&L Credit Card is operated by MBNA who do have Indian call centres.

All HBOS Call centres are in the UK (but arsey about giving out NGNs). I think all RBS Group companies are in the UK. Nationwide's call centre is in Sheffield (may also have one in Swindon). First Direct (despite being owned by HSBC) says it has no plans to move abroad and has call centres in Leeds and Stirling.

Hope this helps
Rich

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 10:32am

Hi richyrich,

Now that is interesting about MBNA. I have been with MBNA for years and have several of their credit cards. I have never yet been routed in any calls via India so far. Is this a recent change, or is it just some of their calls which are routed to India?

IP Logged

richyrich

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 3:03pm

For at least a year, but some of their calls go to Chester. Not sure what the ratio is.

Rich

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 4:15pm

How is that I have not been routed via any of these ever then Rich? I have been an MBNA customer for over 10 years.

IP Logged

Rosebud

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 6:22pm

First Direct may be a part of HSBC but their call centre is definitely in the UK.  I have been with them for 13 years and I have no complaints whatsoever.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 1:35am

mc661 wrote on Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:40pm:
First Direct is part of HSBC

Yes they arepart of HSBC but both their call centres are in the UK,and they dont mind if you call their geo num for overseas callers Wink unlike some other bankers we know of.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005 at 1:36am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

jay_dog
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 3:42pm

Banks using UK call centres are

The Co-op
Halifax

I do banking with both very happily

IP Logged

richyrich

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:03am

dorf wrote on Nov 17th, 2005 at 4:15pm:
How is that I have not been routed via any of these ever then Rich? I have been an MBNA customer for over 10 years.

As I'm not an employee of MBNA (but did used to work for Abbey, who MBNA run the credit cards for) I'm not able to give you a decisive reason why you personally have never been routed to India (maybe you could ask them?). Maybe you've been lucky - as I have said they do have call staff in the UK and it could be luck taht you haven't been routed there. I also have no idea how many staff are in India in terms of numbers or proportions.

Just because you've never been routed to them doesn't mean tht they don't exist Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge