Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
INDIAN CALL CENTRES (Read 48,027 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: INDIAN CALL CENTRES
Reply #30 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 11:00am

jamesbond wrote on Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:16pm:
I doubt it, in fact when I have the need to speak to BT, the call always goes to a UK Call Centre and they always understand how and what you are talking about, and also they understand as to how you feel.

Just spoke to BT this morning to check there was no discount for paying a phone bill on the Light User Scheme bY Direct Debit.  The call was answered in India.

I have spoken to BT call centres in India several times in the last few month and also received a particularly unhlepful and inaccurate response to a query raised on their website from one too.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 11:05am

lancsguy1972 wrote on Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:09pm:
The RBS Group says it is commited to keeping it's call centres within the UK.

Unfortunately the RBS group are not committed to avoiding the extensive pathological use of 0870 and 0845 numbers for these call very same call centres and even listing an 0870 number as the overseas alternative to a uk 0845 number.

They also aren't committed to not offering one of the most derisory rates of interest in the marketplace on their online Esavings account.

They also continue to perpetuate a fiction that a bank called NatWest still exists in England when they in fact killed it several years ago and the only thing non RBS like about a NatWest branch these days is the name plate over the door.  All other product features and company policies are entirely those of the Royal Bank of Scotland group.

IP Logged

lancsguy1972

Reply #32 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 1:51pm

Quote:
Unfortunately the RBS group are not committed to avoiding the extensive pathological use of 0870 and 0845 numbers for these call very same call centres.......

Excuse me, whilst I appreciate your comments the actual question was asking if any banks still had UK call centres.

Yes, I agree that RBS uses non geographical numbers, this I cannot dispute.

The one thing I like about RBS is the fact that they hold the brands they own with very high respect, for example when HSBC took over Midland Bank they didn't care about the "Midland Bank" brand and the loyality it's customers had, they just scrapped it and rebranded everything HSBC.  The same thing happened on TV too, when most of the ITV stations where taken over by Granada/Carlton the regional names we all knew and loved vanished to be replaced by itv1 from London Cry

RBS don't do this, market research shows that customers are loyal to brand names, when they took over NatWest & Ulster Bank several years ago they could, as you say, have changed all the branches to RBS, however this would have had two knock on effects:

1: Many customers would have been disgruntled at the name change and moved their business elsewhere.

2: Job losses would have occured as a result of branch closures and integration.

I'm not saying that RBS have the best products on the market, for example I also think that Nationwide is very good financial institution as they are spearheading the campaign for keeping non charging cash machines, Egg offer a credit card that pays 4% interst if you have a credit balance...I could go on and on but I'm really going off topic so I'll shut up!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 2:08pm

lancsguy1972 wrote on Jan 14th, 2006 at 1:51pm:
The one thing I like about RBS is the fact that they hold the brands they own with very high respect, for example when HSBC took over Midland Bank they didn't care about the "Midland Bank" brand and the loyality it's customers had, they just scrapped it and rebranded everything HSBC.

I can't agree with you on that as when HSBC took over Midland they in fact retained the name for many years before finally deciding to adopt HSBC (a more scary prospect than fully rolling out RBS because HSBC is seen to be a Hong Kong bank).  I fully expect that eventually when most of their customers have twigged that there is no NatWest and only an RBS that they will abolish the NatWest brand name.

As a NatWest customer of 23 years standing and a Nationwide customer of 2 years standing I have seemingly 101 reasons to be unhappy about RBS/NatWest corporate policy and just one to be unhappy about Nationwide corporate policy (limited use of 0845 for some central call centres but never for branches).

NatWest wipe out online statement history after 6 months.  Their personal account managers have no email addresses.  I could go on.  I only don't shut my account because my mortgage is with them and currently I am not working.  All my credit card and cash card use overseas has moved to Nationwide as have my online cash savings.

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #34 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 8:55pm

richyrich wrote on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:03am:
dorf wrote on Nov 17th, 2005 at 4:15pm:
How is that I have not been routed via any of these ever then Rich? I have been an MBNA customer for over 10 years.

As I'm not an employee of MBNA (but did used to work for Abbey, who MBNA run the credit cards for) I'm not able to give you a decisive reason why you personally have never been routed to India (maybe you could ask them?). Maybe you've been lucky - as I have said they do have call staff in the UK and it could be luck taht you haven't been routed there. I also have no idea how many staff are in India in terms of numbers or proportions.

Just because you've never been routed to them doesn't mean tht they don't exist Smiley

When I called MBNA Card (HSBC - who inherited me from Which , but which Which no longer endorse), lately  I was handled by a distinctly Indian sounding gentleman.
  I wasn't at all bothered by who he was or where he was sitting, but rather by the fact that he resolutely wouldn't refund in full the extortionate missed payment charge £25.  
  As I so rarely use this card and when I do for such small amounts, it is not entirely unknown  that I may overlook to settle until the next  months bill arrives.
  On this basis I have never had any trouble getting the card provider to offer and even suggest a total refund immediately on raising the issue.
 Well this time he only & most reluctantly finally agreed to refund half of it (representing still some 1000's of % APR on my small, slightly overdue balance).
It's for this reason that I will Never use this MBNA card again.    
  Now could that different attitude be a cultural thing , or was I (or rather HSBC/MBNA) just unlucky ?
   Unfortunatly this rules out my Abbey Card too and some others.
I've just got a Nationwide card for going abroad 'though (that's for me going abroad - not them),  so I think they (NW)may now look forward to a new surge in business.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2006 at 9:15pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:56pm

joe65 wrote on Feb 1st, 2006 at 8:55pm:
Now could that different attitude be a cultural thing , or was I (or rather HSBC/MBNA) just unlucky ? Unfortunatly this rules out my Abbey Card too and some others.

I've just got a Nationwide card for going abroad 'though (that's for me going abroad - not them),  so I think they (NW)may now look
forward to a new surge in business.

I think in most Indian call centres the staff are not given any discretion at all and follow orders to the letter - Sky Scotland vs Sky India is like cheese and chalk for instance.  Also I think its a cultural thing that the kind of people who work in a call centre in India expect to follow orders since its a much more orderly and hierarchical society than the UK.  But I don't understand why you don't just set up a direct debit to clear the card balance in full each month so you don't get any of this hassle?  The terms of direct debits are such that I can't possibly see your objection.  You may have got the charge refunded in the past but if it says in their T&Cs that they can levy these exorbitant charges then it is likely that sooner or later they will.  After all you wouldn't expect Ken Livingstone's mob to let you off the congestion charge if you told them it was your first time in London and you simply didn't know where the charge boundaries are would you?  Well you might expect him and his hard hearted staff to let you off the first time but the fact is they won't.  In fact they won't even let you off if you are a foreigner from another EU country or Efta country.

I continue to be bluffed by some Norwegian Trolls about a road toll of 4 Euros that they claim I owe them from 18 months ago at a toll station in Trondheim that had no barriers and no signs in English at 4am when all the locals were simply driving straight through (it now turns out these locals all had electronic tag toll season tickets).  Their threats to pursue this in the uk county court about once every 6 months begin to sound more and more hollow but must scare many of the recipients in to submission.  They have added about 60 Euros in ubiquitious administration charges to the 4 Euro toll I didn't even know I had to pay.  Now as Norway isn't in the EU and nobody expects tolls and parking fines to be enforceable on foreign vehicles unless they clamp you or fine you on the spot (especially outside the EU) you really think they would give up but no and I can now see that the Norwegian reputation for the fearsome trolls that wait at all critical bridges etc is very well deserved.

All I am saying is that if you rely on regulalry sweet talking people who have gone to all the trouble of creating an environment where they can fine you then sooner or later you are going to be unlucky.  And it may of course be that you have now finally exhausted your 9 lives for being let off a late payment charge.  If they refunded half the charge one can only say it could have been worse.  Let that be a lesson to you to set up direct debit rather than continuing to live in the stone age. Wink Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2006 at 12:00am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #36 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:30pm

Recently I had trouble with MBNA (Abbey)

I use credit cards to take advantage of 0% deals, and pay off before they end.

I cleared my MBNA virgin card by asking them to take the direct debit amount on the payment date for the full amount, and they did so.

When Abbey came to the end of the 0% deal, they said it wouldn't be possible, so I had to make another payment.

Rather than go through the trouble of setting up a bill payment by phone with A&L to make a one off payment, I used the paying in slip, with an A&L cheque, and sent it to A&L.  I have been doing this when I was with Natwest, and it is common practice to pay a bill at your own bank branch, with your own bank's cheque, but another banks paying in slip.

A&L took almost 2 week to cash the cheque, so we agreed it was lost in the system, and they said that they don't process transactions on behalf of 3rd parties, and I set up a bill payment to pay this one off payment.

After the cheque was cancelled, MBNA (Abbey) imposed a £25 charge for bounced cheques.  I phoned them up, and explained what had happened.  I also informed them that this charge, even though it was part of the T&Cs, was against the unfair contract terms, and banks can only legally charge what it costs them, rather than a penalty.

Also, there was an article in the Guardian saying that a standard letter would cost less than £1, and banks hike this up to £25 just to write an automated letter.  None of the banks wished to comment on how much it costs.

So, instead of disputing the £25 charge, I asked MBNA to give me an itemised listing on their out of pocket expenses and how the £25 is justified, and mentioned that they failed to reply to the Guardian's money section on the issue, and also pointed out that I intend to use their reply to send to the Guardian.

She got her supervisor, and after being on hold about 2 minutes, she came back and said that as a gesture of goodwill, they will waive the charges, but said that if it happens next time, then they would impose the charges.  This won't happen as the card is now paid off in full.

If you complain loud enough (like you would with 0870 numbers) then big companies can always back down.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:36pm

Shiggaddi wrote on Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:30pm:
If you complain loud enough (like you would with 0870 numbers) then big companies can always back down.

But not it seems when there is much more money at stake (as there is with the 0870 scam) and the telecoms regulator's Chief Executive and Chairman are more concerned with feathering their own nests with the New Labour establishment rather than with fighting a battle of principle on behalf of the uk citizen consumer.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #38 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 6:40pm

Article in the Mail on Sunday entitled "We all hate talking to India"
Extract:
Quote:
Big organisations such as HSBC and Norwich Union, with well-publicised overseas operations, inevitably attracted criticism. But so did other firms.

Customers of computer company Dell vented rage about all aspects of the service provided by its call centres.

Other non-financial firms complained about were BSkyB, internet service provider Tiscali and mobile phone operator-O2. Another big name to come under fire is BT.

It says that only two of its 33 call centres are in India and its research shows that 'service levels are the same or better'. Financial Mail readers disagree, with dozens citing problems when calling with billing queries and issues relating to broadband services. In fact, BT was one of the top four companies for complaints.

Delays, incomprehensible accents, mispronounced names and lack of familiarity with UK geography were the most common hates.

One reader told of a call centre employee who thought Cardiff was in Birmingham. Another Asia-based worker confused our Birmingham with the American town in Alabama.

Several people found it especially distressing to talk to overseas workers about the death of a parent or spouse.

'I had to explain again and again that my father had died,' said one reader, 'but the man didn't seem to know what that meant.'

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 7:02pm

And we all hate talking to India even more when many of the main culprits like Sky and HP charge a premium rate for the privilege.

I have just switched my gas and electricity supply to www.equipower.co.uk ;  This is a non profit making company dedicated to cutting energy emissions but also with some of the very cheapest gas and electricity prices and no annoying once a year bonuses or special discounts only if you agree to not getting a paper bill.  Also they let you get the cheapest price if you pay in full quarterly by direct debit in arrears and you don't have to have one of those horrid flat rate direct debit payment plans all the big boys like Powergen and Scottish Power insist on.  Of course as they pay no commission Uswitch goes out of its way not to show the company in its results tables and you have to specially tick the box to look at ethical suppliers for them to appear.

Do a comparison at www.energyhelpline.com who do show Equipower and its sister company EquiGas automatically.  I have had enough of Powergen as although their call centre workers are not in India they might as well be from the way in which any promise they make to solve an issue on my account is not fulfilled.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #40 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:03am

I don't have any problem talking to people in India. They are helpful and courteous, don't spitefully put people on hold for several minutes then hang up, and if they don't have the information requested make a point of calling back with it later, as opposed to some call centres in this country where you can ask the same question four times without answer.

Quote:
Delays, incomprehensible accents, mispronounced names and lack of familiarity with UK geography were the most common hates.

Get real - that happens here too. Portsmouth in Hampshire or Portsmouth in Lancashire I was once asked by BT Directory Enquiries. I didn't know there was a Portsmouth in Lancashire, I said, but this one has the UK headquarters of a multnational insurance company. They put the phone down. Or the Police emergency call centre for a certain county not understanding instructions that I was on the southbound side of the bypass of a certain place, between the only two junctions in the area.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:03am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Reply #41 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:25am

I am with the RBS they have a call center in manchester 0161 930 8666 They also have 0870 and 0845 numbers Smiley I am happy with the RBS they are VERY polite on the phone and when my wallet was picked out me pocket with all my money in they paid for a taxi home from the city of manchester to were i live (about 3 miles) plus stopped all my credit cards for me with themsleves and OTHER companys Smiley

I realy hate ringing up Three because there call centers are in India even thou the phone call is FREE i still spend about 30 mins on the phone when if it was a english speaking person it would be 15 mins because they have to keep asking me to spell my name and were i live and i have to ask them to repeat the question, If i had of know this i would have gone with a UK based mobile company. AOL is worse when i call them now i request to be put threw to the call center in ireland i refuse to speak to the call center in India because it takes up too much of my time.

I find call centers in India take too much of my time up

Justin

Why not visit www.thatfreebie.com Smiley and enjoy freebies Smiley

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #42 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:42am

I have had OK experiences with Indian call centres, but of course it's the bad experieinces one remembers.

When I called FedEx, after repeating my name, address and postcode about three times, and then them looking up the wrong postcode, I lost confidence that they would record my details correctly - fairly important when you're trying to arrange an urgent courier pickup!

Recently, I had cause to 'phone Orange and got someone who tried to tell me that an 07 number was geographic, that an 0800 number would cost me 25p, and then gave me an internal-only number to their internal IT helpdesk - who, of course couldn't help me!

It is the cultural and 'national knowledge' that is missing and that can be very annoying - yes they can be helpful and polite, but it gets tedious when you have to explain things that a UK person would understand or take for granted.  The customer should not have to be educating the organisation's staff in UK knowledge at the customer's own cost.  I'm sure straight-forward queries can often be handled well - but it's always the diffiuclt or unusual that tests an organisation's true competency.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 1:05am

andy9 wrote on Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:03am:
I don't have any problem talking to people in India. They are helpful and courteous, don't spitefully put people on hold for several minutes then hang up, and if they don't have the information requested make a point of calling back with it later, as opposed to some call centres in this country where you can ask the same question four times without answer.

I don't have a problem speaking to people in India per se but I do have a problem with receiving an inferior quality of service as so regularly happens.

What you call courteousness I call timidity brought on by poor understanding of uk accents and basic lack of knowledge of common uk terms and nuances.  Also contrary to what you say I have regularly been put on hold for long periods by Indian Call Centre staff (especially HP and Sky) and if I have asked to speak to a supervisor at an Indian call centre I have been told on every occasion there is not one available and if I have persisted that this cannot be true and that I demand to be put through to one I have been purposefully cut off.  That does of course happen with some uk call centres (espcially those run by Capita) but not as often.  Also on three or four occasions staff at HP's Indian call centre promised to call me back about a battery replacement and then failed to do so.

My view would be outsource manufacturing and software development work to the third world as that can cut costs without customers having a worse experience.  However you should only outsource call centres to India if you are prepared to employ staff of a sufficient level of education that they watch a lot of uk television and read uk books so understand uk accents.  Unfortunately at this point the cost savings then become much less which is probably why Diners Club is the only Indian call centre I have spoken to where I didn't even realise the person I was speaking to was in India until very late on in the call.  But usually with that annoying metallic twang accent it is all too obvious one is speaking to an Indian call centre worker from the outset.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 12:58pm

Quote:
However you should only outsource call centres to India if you are prepared to employ staff of a sufficient level of education that they watch a lot of uk television and read uk books...
Ah, but surely they might not want to watch much UK tv if they had high(er) intelligence?  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge