Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
INDIAN CALL CENTRES (Read 48,018 times)
dad2711

kent
Re: INDIAN CALL CENTRES
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:31pm

same here i am with NBNA and have been for over 10 years and i also have never had a problem with them or ever been rooted out to india

dad2711 &&I try to find numbers :--  but now im getting better at finding them

IP Logged

cavaliersteve

Ladock, Cornwall
Reply #16 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 12:01am

NOT AN ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, BUT NOW THAT YOU MENTION INDIAN CALL CENTRES!

Tiscali support for Broad Band is an 0870 number, and the 1st place you get to is a call centre in India.

If one has read the help file, they just seem to go through all what one has already done, one is often in a queue for 5-10 minutes before speaking to someone, 9 out of 10 times one cannot understand the accent or the voice is too quite, so one is forced to say pardon or could you repeat that again.
They often ask one to repeat things that have been logged on their system from the 1st phone call.......

Yeah, blah, blah, blah, I could go on, but the main thing again is 7p per minute, and I have heard rumours that they sometimes charge more than that, time consuming, expensive and still no solution to the problem!!!!

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #17 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:16pm

Just to add, that Nationwide Building Society have Call Centres here in the UK as well.

Talking about Indian Call Centres, I would really like to have Onetel and Alpha Telecom back here in the UK, as the majority of the staff do not understand the nuances of the English language.  It would be great, if the respective heads of these companies would take note of what we the UK telephone users would like - would the Chairmen of any company want to speak with these Indian Call Centres ?  I doubt it, in fact when I have the need to speak to BT, the call always goes to a UK Call Centre and they always understand how and what you are talking about, and also they understand as to how you feel.

James Bond

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #18 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:46pm

jamesbond wrote on Nov 25th, 2005 at 7:16pm:
..... BT, the call always goes to a UK Call Centre and they always understand how and what you are talking about, and also they understand as to how you feel.

But, if you e-mail them, you nearly always get a nonsensical reply from someone in India.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:47pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #19 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 9:24pm

I have got to agree with your comment about email replies!

James Bond

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 1:02pm

Quote:
Banks using UK call centres are

The Co-op
Halifax

I do banking with both very happily

I wonder if you bank happily with the Halifax happily now LOL  Grin Grin

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

SAlbrow

Reply #21 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 9:54pm

I do agree that it's better for banks to have UK call centres, I deal with customers every day and you can tell there is some contempt at the Mumbia etc agents, not because they are not nice people - they are, but there are obvious cultural barriers there.

The last company I worked for, used an Indian call centre for it's IT Helpdesk, and again it was a pain not because they didn't want to be helpful, nor because they were incompetent - quite the opposite they were very skilled (I know this because I went into the local office out of frustation and watched the people in the uk talking to them on instant messenging to solve problems). The issue was the fact you had to ring india to fix a local problem, quite often be put through standard troubleshooting and then once they had decided its a problem wait ages - and somehow thats meant to be more efficent. Not faulting the staff, just the systems.

This seems to also be a problem for other companies, like three for example, you must go to india, but if you have anything meaty (such as you want to change contract, give notice, have a proper payment issue) then you need to speak to glasgow, you know that, they know that, but you have to go through loads of queueing and verificaiton first - i'd rather ring a switchboard and say, yeah can I have retentions in glasgow please.

Some are better than others, and where it is just reading information off then its not so much a problem, but for example when I just called three, they can be really bad and quite often don't understand how to use grammar properly - again not their fault, I wouldn't know where to start with indian.

Natwest have call centres in Plymouth, Southampton (023 80226443) and Bristol I think it is, I bank with them and it is nice to speak to someone that is on a similar wave length.

Barclays Monument is certainly UK - its based in crawley near asda (I worked for them for a day) - I have to stop myself laughing at the crawley accent when I ring up.

Lloyds TSB is Glasgow, Plymouth I think and somewhere else on the south coast, as well as Mumbia.

Nationwide, no idea where, but agreed they are very good and do have uk call centres, and a nice freephone number which is always good.

IP Logged

Sandra

Ross-on-Wye
Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 2:26pm

Have just signed up for membership.  Thanks.  Reading through the posted messages, I was pleased to see the discussion has gone "sideways" to include Indian Call Centres.  I have recently had a real problem with an insurance claim through Norwich Union, following severe flooding to my property on 31st October.  I have only just received settlement, as Norwich Union, far from "quoting me happy" has been obstructive in the extreme, turning a problem into a crisis, mainly due to settlement queries being dealt with by an Indian Call Centre.  I totally agree with your correspondents, that the staff there are helpful, polite, and good communicators.  However, there is a gaping cultural difference in everything else, from sense of humour to simply not getting how things are done in England.  I remember in particular a gentleman in India telling to "get the work done, and send the bill to me."  Yeh, right!  The bill in question was £4,000.  I wonder whether his suggestion would have worked.  Final payment was received yesterday.  This afternoon I intend to switch my insurance to Nationwide.

IP Logged

longusername

Reply #23 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 8:30pm

Not wanting to start a flame war here, but just one thing I'd like to observe. Whilst I accept that there may well be cultural problems in dealing with people from another continent, there is a feeling that, all else being equal, let's say there weren't any cultural barriers, then diverting calls to India would still be a problem because somehow those jobs belong in the UK. Poor and oppressed workers in this country are having their wages driven down by competition overseas and jobs that belong here are being outsourced abroad.

But is that really correct? Think of it from the point of view of poor and oppressed workers in India. We are all citizens of the world. From their end, it looks as if a tremendous opportunity is opening up to create jobs and benefit their economy. These sorts of jobs are highly prized in India where much effort is invested in overcoming just those cultural barriers of which others have rightly spoken. For one thing, they have to learn the language to a basic standard of proficiency.

Now if it turns out, for whatever reason, that all else being equal, the cost of labour in this industry in India is, let's say, 50% less than the cost of labour here, outsourcing is likely to have the effect of reducing the price of these services in this country. This will benefit (thinking of the big picture) the consumers of this country, including the now unemployed call centre workers, who will be available to work in an industry where their labour is more productive, thereby producing further benefit to the consumer in this country.

We cannot always assume that outsourcing overseas is bad for the general welfare either in this country or overseas. In addition, why should we starve those people in other countries of the opportunity to do the same work for less. I know this is controversial, but it is sometimes possible for everybody to win.

I do, however, take the point about cultural barriers. These have already started to restrict how much overseas outsourcing is really practical, which is perhaps why some of these banks have decided against it. In addition, if I recall correctly, political pressures in the US are also starting to have an effect although the Indians reckon there is still enough outsourcing to support the boom in Bangalore.

Just my thoughts on this vexing subject.

IP Logged

lancsguy1972

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:09pm

rickuk80 wrote on Oct 11th, 2005 at 2:38pm:
Is it just me that gets annoyed by call centres being shipped out to India???

I recently moved from HSBC as they shipped customer services to India. I transferred all my accounts to Lloyds TSB and they promised they had no plans to send calls out of the UK, yet I phoned today and found they have.

Does anyone know a bank that has strong intentions to keep their staff employed in the UK?

Rick

The RBS Group says it is commited to keeping it's call centres within the UK.  For those of you who are unsure which companies are part of RBS here's a list of some of them:

The Royal Bank of Scotland (obviously)
NatWest
Direct Line
Lombard
Churchill
UK Insurance
Privilege
The One account/Virgin One account
NatWest One account
Direct Line One account
First Active (England, Scotland & Wales)
Mint

...to name a few

HSBC's call centres are in India with the exception of First Direct which is based in Leeds and has won awards for fantastic customer service so I doubt they'll move it!

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #25 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 9:18pm

longusername wrote on Jan 12th, 2006 at 8:30pm:
Now if it turns out, for whatever reason, that all else being equal, the cost of labour in this industry in India is, let's say, 50% less than the cost of labour here, outsourcing is likely to have the effect of reducing the price of these services in this country. This will benefit (thinking of the big picture) the consumers of this country, including the now unemployed call centre workers, who will be available to work in an industry where their labour is more productive, thereby producing further benefit to the consumer in this country.

But what jobs will they go to?  Are there any new jobs being created especially for them, or are they just going down the jobcentre to apply for jobs that would have been filled anyway.

If that is the case, then there are no new jobs being created at all, just more competition to go for the jobs already there.  This might have the effect of recruiting higher calibre staff, but it also means that plenty more people are out of work in this country when they shouldn't be!!

And as for saving costs.  It means that big companies can increase their profits, and justify using 0870 to route calls to India, and the little money that is passed back to the public in lower costs (if any) will only be taken back by the government in higher taxes to pay Jobseekers allowance to more people.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

longusername

Reply #26 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 10:08pm

I take your point, Shiggaddi. There is that problem, at least in the short term. But perhaps call centre jobs aren't that great anyway, for us especially, and there may be other industries that could make more productive use of our labour. I don't know. You might be right. It just seems to me it could go either way.

One small point, though. Geographic numbers can be routed to India. There's no excuse there for 0870. And they can't say they need the revenue to cover the costs of calls to India, because outsourcing has already been calculated to save costs.

But yeah, I know they might try it.

Regards.  Undecided

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #27 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 8:20pm

Quote:
Ditch the scripts says Lloyds TSB

Workers at Lloyds TSB call centres have been told they must no longer read from scripts when talking to customers because it makes them angry.

Researchers found that 90% of people got annoyed when they were talking to call centre workers who were obviously reading from a script.

Most customers said they thought this led to staff failing to listen or answer questions properly.

Scripted conversations were impersonal and often went on too long, they said.

Call centre staff agreed that reading from scripts slowed down the process and 86% of them backed scrapping them.

Source: BBC News

IP Logged

longusername

Reply #28 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:16pm

Sometimes I wish that when they are thinking about funding this type of research they would just give me a call. I could save them some money.

Shocked

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #29 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 10:24pm

longusername wrote on Jan 13th, 2006 at 9:16pm:
Sometimes I wish that when they are thinking about funding this type of research they would just give me a call. I could save them some money.

Shocked
Me too.

If they'd call me on my 0871 number too, I'd give 'em an interesting couple of hours of my muzak collection.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge